Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-16 04:01PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Lightbulb

"Directional Sweeping using a corn broom" Please say I didn't hear this from Bryan. Even the idea of it should be banned

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-16 08:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

manitoba just all over BC tonight. not giving them a chance to sit anything up. tardi made some good shots to save the ends early but couldnt in the 5th

its a rough way to end a championship but it looks like they are ending on 4 straight losses.

01-30-16 10:24PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

The thing there is that manitoba is not that much better than everyone else that they could have done that. british columbia and northern ontario are both very good teams as well. i picked BC to win and i called a bc /manitoba final but i did think northern ontario would also be in the picture..didnt think they'd finish first though.

Manitoba has won the last 3 titles and thats bound to run out at some point. i think you are right and manitoba will make the final but i dont think they'll win.

id like to see new brunswick win their semi and have an all atlantic final on the womens side

The truth is, MB is that much better than everyone else in the field. There is no other boys team at the event that would/could have beat Mike McEwen twice in the same bonspiel.

I think the MB vs. NO final might be a reasonable game but I think the round robin meeting between those two teams was MB's blip on the week and I think they will win the final, perhaps as definitively as they beat BC this evening and no, I'm not from Manitoba, I'm just an objective observer.

01-30-16 10:41PM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

The truth is, MB is that much better than everyone else in the field. There is no other boys team at the event that would/could have beat Mike McEwen twice in the same bonspiel.

I think the MB vs. NO final might be a reasonable game but I think the round robin meeting between those two teams was MB's blip on the week and I think they will win the final, perhaps as definitively as they beat BC this evening and no, I'm not from Manitoba, I'm just an objective observer.

I agree. MB has a very experienced team. They've got that big game mentality that is going to give them that edge in the final tomorrow. It might be to MBs advantage that they played a game today as well.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to see the game due to work.

Here's hoping for a 4th title for Manitoba!

(yes I'm from Manitoba)

01-31-16 12:26AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

BC Curling ..alive and well

Even though Tardi lost to Dunstone..
it was very clear..through his teams success and Sarah Daniels
getting into the final.. that BC curling has a bright future again.

---------------------
thank you Adrian MacNair / South Delta Leader... for this
article about Sarah Daniels ( 16 years old) :

quote:

Sarah's ambitions rise above becoming national champions
"I want to be able to play at the world level, for juniors
and for women, when I get into ladies curling," says Sarah.
"And I would also really like to some day get to the Olympics representing Team Canada."

There are many Canadian female curlers who have made a big name for themselves internationally, but Sarah says she enjoys watching Eve Muirhead, who is the skip for the Scottish national team. "She's a very young curler, she's in her early twenties, and she's won quite a lot at her young age. She really inspires me."

Accomplishments

-2 time CurlBC Junior Female athlete of the Year (2013 and 2014)
-Representing BC at the 2015 Canada Winter Games
-Champion, 2014 Canada Winter Games Playdowns
-Silver Medal, 2014 Canadian Jr Championships, Liverpool,NS
-First Team All-Star, 2014 Canadian Junior Championships
-Gold Medal, 2014 BC Junior Provincial Championships
-2 time BC High School Provincial Champion (Seaquam Secondary 2013 and 2014)
-Gold Medal, 2013 U18 Optimist International Championship, Langley, British Columbia
-Gold Medal, 2013 BC Juvenile Provincials
-Bronze Medal, 2013 BC Junior Provincial Championships
-Participant, 2013 Canadian National Mixed Doubles Trials, Leduc, Alberta
-Bronze Medal, 2013 BC Mixed Doubles Provincials
-Delta Sports Hall of Fame - 2013 Team of the Year

01-31-16 01:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well..it wasnt the best final in terms quality but in terms of drama and excitement it was great . roller coaster, with each team trading momentum.

congrats to team Fay and good luck. will be a really busy schedule for her with repping canada at both the youth olympics games and world juniors.

01-31-16 03:24PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

by the way. there was no need to air that segment on easily the worst thing to happen to music during the womens final. even if he was from there. leave him out of a curling discussion

01-31-16 03:29PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Mary Fay - Cdn Jr Women's Champion

Mary and her front end have been together for 6 years
with the additon of Kristin Clarke at Third this season.

This is the fourth Nova Scotia Jr Women's Canadian winner in history
A very welcome end to a 12 year dry spell

Hope this extremely talented Team stays together

01-31-16 03:44PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

tanner horgan ..if he wins would he be the first skip from northern ontario to do so?

01-31-16 03:59PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
tanner horgan ..if he wins would he be the first skip from northern ontario to do so?

No, 4 have already done it, Jeff Currie in 96 was the last to do so.

01-31-16 04:05PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

No, 4 have already done it, Jeff Currie in 96 was the last to do so.

Uh oh, NO just wrecked on the guard to give up 3, not sure if this directional sweeping really helps. Now down 6-2 to (quoting Manitoba Legend ) to the MB Monsters. That skip really is extraordinary - Isn't that team also in the men's play downs?

01-31-16 04:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Mary Fay - Cdn Jr Women's Champion

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Mary and her front end have been together for 6 years
with the additon of Kristin Clarke at Third this season.

This is the fourth Nova Scotia Jr Women's Canadian winner in history
A very welcome end to a 12 year dry spell

Hope this extremely talented Team stays together

4-peat ..... too soon?

01-31-16 04:23PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Uh oh, NO just wrecked on the guard to give up 3, not sure if this directional sweeping really helps. Now down 6-2 to (quoting Manitoba Legend ) to the MB Monsters. That skip really is extraordinary - Isn't that team also in the men's play downs?

Teams in MB tankard:

http://viterrachampionship.ca/teams

01-31-16 04:27PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Horgan can't seem to draw and the one sweeper is killing any chance his rocks may have.
Game is Daniel in the lions den so far.

01-31-16 04:46PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Teams in MB tankard:

http://viterrachampionship.ca/teams

OK one more team for McEwen to worry about

[edited to correct the fact Dunstone IS curling in them!]

Last edited by curlerbroad on 01-31-16 at 04:49PM

01-31-16 05:37PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Man I have to admit that is quite the MB team in Dunstone. He was gifted some points unfortunately by Horgan, but I'm not sure in the end that it would have mattered.

01-31-16 05:51PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

Great job by Teams Manitoba and Nova Scotia! Congratulations on the championships. A four-peat for Manitoba! Also congrats to Teams B.C. for the women and N. Ont. for the men. You did your provinces proud!

01-31-16 06:10PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Andrew Atherton , Coach for NS won the Jr Womens - he is the grandson of my fathers best friend and cousin .. probably a fifth cousin to me

Matt is the grandson of Jim who i used to curl with in the last century ..

its nice when close family emerges victorious

It's a proud and happy day to be a Fresca.

02-01-16 11:01AM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

The thing there is that manitoba is not that much better than everyone else that they could have done that. british columbia and northern ontario are both very good teams as well. i picked BC to win and i called a bc /manitoba final but i did think northern ontario would also be in the picture..didnt think they'd finish first though.

Manitoba has won the last 3 titles and thats bound to run out at some point. i think you are right and manitoba will make the final but i dont think they'll win.

id like to see new brunswick win their semi and have an all atlantic final on the womens side

I don't think you could have been further off. Manitoba was much better. They looked like one of the better junior teams we have seen in many years. I think you overreacted to them having one bad game, albeit they only lost in an extra end.

02-01-16 11:43AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

I don't think you could have been further off. Manitoba was much better. They looked like one of the better junior teams we have seen in many years. I think you overreacted to them having one bad game, albeit they only lost in an extra end.

I have to agree with you, MBTuck. Like you, I was trying to figure out the basis for misty1's comments regarding their belief that MB would lose the final even though they had not originally thought NO would be the eventual victor.

I did not witness the round robin game between NO and MB but based on every other outcome from the week, it was clear that either MB was just a tad off in the game or that NO was perhaps completely playing fully up to potential. Yesterday's result in the final was exactly as I expected the game to go although I have to admit that NO made some nice shots in the first end to generate a nice two count and that they did have MB in a bit of a pickle in the second end until Dunstone made a superbly exacting raise takeout on his first and then a nice draw to the button on his second. After the draw for three I said to my son who was watching the game with me that the game was over and it was only the second end. It was men versus boys from there on.

It's not often you get a junior team that are all at the maximum end of the age spectrum but Dunstone's team is and they show it. They are about a full year beyond where the other top junior teams are and I watch a ton of junior curling games in a season so I know a bit about what I'm talking about.

There's an interesting dilemma that exists. Junior World's start on March 5. The Brier starts on March 3. Since Dunstone is playing in the Manitoba men's provincials, what happens if his team somehow prevails in that championship? Unless Dunstone's squad suffers from some burnout, I think all the MB men's teams should be quite concerned about that team.

02-01-16 12:35PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

The Dunstone team really is a special group and quite a bit ahead of the field. While they did lose in the round-robin, it's not hard to see the length of the week play into that a bit, as a let down can happen.

They showed in the playoffs how much better they are, handling both the semifinal and final quite easily.

Some other background on Dunstone that shows their strength, they played 4 World Curling Tour events, going 21-6 overall and getting wins over McEwen (x2), Bottcher, Fenson, Brewster and many other quality men's teams.
http://www.worldcurl.com/teams.php?...962&view=Scores

They're the real deal and should be a contender to reach the Viterra Championship playoffs as well.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-04-16 04:10PM
Flashing8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flashing8 Find more posts by Flashing8 Add Flashing8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flashing8
Knee-Slider

The Pool play needs to go, it is not fair to the teams that attend and is even less fair to those that don't get to!
Some teams play in stronger pools and the schedule is not fair trying to get all the first pool games in by Tuesday. Some teams play four games in a row while other only play two and get a break all because they have to jam the first pool games in.
After that they split a portion of the teams off to play in a "Seeding Pool" which is a polite way to say Thanks for coming but these games do not really count, even though at least one team in the seeding pool ended up with a better record than the bottom of the Championship Pool!

Then they slip in the Mixed Doubles that Im sure quite a few of the kids is a waste of time and they would rather not play!

The World Curling Federation has a "Junior B" tryout for teams that do not make the top ten why can't Curl Canada do this as then the National Championship could return to a round robin with a page playoff. Also why does Ontario get an extra team?
CC Claims that all provinces need equal representation but then they add an extra for team Ontario......Stupid! Get rid of Northern Ont and have the territory's play down for one spot!

Wake up Curling Canada maybe if it was a true best of the best competition you might actually keep a sponsor!

02-04-16 04:39PM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Flashing8
The Pool play needs to go, it is not fair to the teams that attend and is even less fair to those that don't get to!
Some teams play in stronger pools and the schedule is not fair trying to get all the first pool games in by Tuesday. Some teams play four games in a row while other only play two and get a break all because they have to jam the first pool games in.
After that they split a portion of the teams off to play in a "Seeding Pool" which is a polite way to say Thanks for coming but these games do not really count, even though at least one team in the seeding pool ended up with a better record than the bottom of the Championship Pool!

Then they slip in the Mixed Doubles that Im sure quite a few of the kids is a waste of time and they would rather not play!

The World Curling Federation has a "Junior B" tryout for teams that do not make the top ten why can't Curl Canada do this as then the National Championship could return to a round robin with a page playoff. Also why does Ontario get an extra team?
CC Claims that all provinces need equal representation but then they add an extra for team Ontario......Stupid! Get rid of Northern Ont and have the territory's play down for one spot!

Wake up Curling Canada maybe if it was a true best of the best competition you might actually keep a sponsor!

I see you're a first-time poster so based on your comments, I'm leaning towards thinking that you were a participant in this event and that something transpired during the week to sour you on the format.

I can honestly say that I'm not a fan of the format, but to suggest that in the end it's not a "best of the best competition" is quite a distance from the truth. All the best teams end up playing each other and in the end a champion is determined so this is still a championship that determines the best of the best.

The fact that a seeding pool team ended up with a better record than a championship pool team is moot. The seeding pool team that ended up with a supposed better record than a championship pool team played their final three games against the three worst teams from the pool they were originally not in. The championship pool team that ended up with a supposed worse record than a seeding pool team played their final four games against the top four teams from the pool they were not originally in. Which team do you suppose had "easier" competition in their last few games?

I'd like to see this championship return to a full round robin event but with the logistics of running a dual-gender event with 14 teams on each side makes it difficult. If you could always guarantee getting 10 sheets of ice like what was available this year, then it could be possible, but I don't believe Curling Canada can guarantee that. The modified event that is currently in place only requires 8 sheets of ice to pull it off.

As for one game days and two game days, it's going to happen in this format. Teams need to play six games over the first four days. Figure it out - some days you're going to have two games; some days you're going to have one. In fact, in the 8 sheet scenario, some team(s) actually have three 2-game days and a day where they do not play at all.

Curling Canada is trying to make the best of a situation that is not ideal. They want representation from all provinces and territories (yes, I agree with you, why does Ontario get two spots) and when that happens, they are not in a situation where they believe a full round robin is not doable over the timeframe that the event has been targeted to run in.

As for the event's current format and that contributing to losing a long-term sponsor, I seriously doubt that had any impact since the sponsor's main bang for the buck came from the TV exposure of the championship final and since the semi finals are now also being broadcast (this year and last year) you would think that would have been additional incentive to stay on board as a sponsor. There is little benefit to a sponsor what format is used in the preliminary portion of the competition.

02-04-16 05:08PM
Flashing8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flashing8 Find more posts by Flashing8 Add Flashing8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flashing8
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

I see you're a first-time poster so based on your comments, I'm leaning towards thinking that you were a participant in this event and that something transpired during the week to sour you on the format.

I can honestly say that I'm not a fan of the format, but to suggest that in the end it's not a "best of the best competition" is quite a distance from the truth. All the best teams end up playing each other and in the end a champion is determined so this is still a championship that determines the best of the best.

The fact that a seeding pool team ended up with a better record than a championship pool team is moot. The seeding pool team that ended up with a supposed better record than a championship pool team played their final three games against the three worst teams from the pool they were originally not in. The championship pool team that ended up with a supposed worse record than a seeding pool team played their final four games against the top four teams from the pool they were not originally in. Which team do you suppose had "easier" competition in their last few games?

I'd like to see this championship return to a full round robin event but with the logistics of running a dual-gender event with 14 teams on each side makes it difficult. If you could always guarantee getting 10 sheets of ice like what was available this year, then it could be possible, but I don't believe Curling Canada can guarantee that. The modified event that is currently in place only requires 8 sheets of ice to pull it off.

As for one game days and two game days, it's going to happen in this format. Teams need to play six games over the first four days. Figure it out - some days you're going to have two games; some days you're going to have one. In fact, in the 8 sheet scenario, some team(s) actually have three 2-game days and a day where they do not play at all.

Curling Canada is trying to make the best of a situation that is not ideal. They want representation from all provinces and territories (yes, I agree with you, why does Ontario get two spots) and when that happens, they are not in a situation where they believe a full round robin is not doable over the timeframe that the event has been targeted to run in.

As for the event's current format and that contributing to losing a long-term sponsor, I seriously doubt that had any impact since the sponsor's main bang for the buck came from the TV exposure of the championship final and since the semi finals are now also being broadcast (this year and last year) you would think that would have been additional incentive to stay on board as a sponsor. There is little benefit to a sponsor what format is used in the preliminary portion of the competition.

No I was not involved, I am not a player I am just a fan that is tired of the BS that CC has become.

What I am trying to saying is that a complete round robin with a fairly even schedule (lose Nu, NO, NWT, YK) will allow for more true representation of the full field and give everyone that deserves to be there a honest shot at making the playoff and eventual championship.

02-04-16 05:21PM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Flashing8

No I was not involved, I am not a player I am just a fan that is tired of the BS that CC has become.

What I am trying to saying is that a complete round robin with a fairly even schedule (lose Nu, NO, NWT, YK) will allow for more true representation of the full field and give everyone that deserves to be there a honest shot at making the playoff and eventual championship.

I guess what you're suggesting is that as a lower ranked team in one pool, by not having a chance to play the four top teams in the opposing pool then that team did not have a chance at some upsets and a possible chance at making playoffs.

Well, I suppose that possibility may exist but a 3-3 record in your pool generally gets you into the championship pool. A record any worse than that (2-4, for example) means you'd have to sweep the upper echelon teams in the opposing pool just to get to 6-4 - probably not playoff bound and if you're 2-4 in your own pool, chances of sweeping the other pool's top teams is highly unlikely, but not completely impossible. We would also have to presume that you could sweep the lesser calibre teams as well.

It's a bit of a sticky wicket that Curling Canada won't be changing soon.