Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Johnny Mo joins Cotter

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-09-13 06:58PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
the run back is a piece of cake if you can hit the broom ... games are won by putting it on the pimple with last rock in EE
- koe's last brick in the brier...
throw for show .. draw for dough

nedohin can hit and draw as good as ANYONE -- its a natural ability acquired from living in winnipeg ... HE WILL CURL 90% + at the mts centre in december

he needs to drop about 10 pounds thou - get back into his water skiing championship form

Its not just simple hits that Kevin will require david to make though. Quite often john was being asked to make circus shots and those are not the kinds of shots that David plays well.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

05-09-13 07:25PM
Unregistered

yea your right , havent seen david make many more than about 500 circus shots in the last 15 years .. just a 5 year lucky streak where he missed abt 10 shots total

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

05-09-13 11:39PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

regarding David's return.......

to play on the Martin rink, I can only see positive results with his acquisition , David needs no "formal " talking to he has under his own belt a brilliant resume from the days of playing with Randy Ferby and company. So this coming season ALL EYES will be on Kevin Martin I am sure. Crack pot comments will be coming out of the wood work, in the end this will come out in the wash so in speaking, remembering on the previous Martin line ups he had (as lead) Don Bartlet A POSTIE, and Johnny Moo was a firefighter, and now David Nedohin a "business Man"...we should congratulate him and wish him and his new team success for the next season..

Last edited by sternwheeler on 05-09-13 at 11:42PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-10-13 09:55AM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:

I think you missed the previous posters point that it was John Morris that did the bailing for the Martin team. just sayin

Some posters seem to forget that it was kennedy doing all the bailing out shots on the martin Team. Then Morris would make half shots and martin would have to make the circus shots to win the end. The last year martin has lacked in the circus shot department.

05-10-13 01:53PM
Unregistered

not sure bailing out describes what happens ... the top five rinks tend to play junk with last rock looking to get a three ender - which then leads to a win .. if the opposition gets a couple in behind the staggered guards first they rip off some centre line junk ... looks spectacular but isnt that surprising and works abt 9 of 10 times -- trouble is that edin , ulsrud , scotland , koe, martin, stoughton, howard, gushue , mcewen, jacobs can curl 90%+ and this levels the playing field ... great curling and a bit of luck beats great curling .. throw in heavy sweeping that deteriorates the ice and makes the game less predictable and the odd pick?? you end up with the same 5 teams in the semi finals pretty often

05-10-13 02:24PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Lots of people are saying that Nedohin won't fit Martin's style of play because he doesn't have the high hard one like a Johnny Mo, Don Walchuk or Kevin Park. All 3 considered amoung the top in class at that skill.

But let's quit pretending that Nedohin can't throw good solid peel weight with accuracy when required. There are very few times when peel weight won't get the job done. And in those few cases Nedohin has proven that a great finess shot is just as good or better. Look at Glen Howard and Richard Hart. Neither were known for their high hard one, but they beat teams into submission by making everything else.

So the only question remains, will Martin be able to adjust ... seriously? Martin's had so many different team mates over the years and has won briers and cash with all of them. If there's one guy who could adjust it would be him. As a matter of fact Martin's game has changed to the point where a precision set up man may yield better results (John was good in this regard, but Dave won 4 briers with this as his top weapon).

Only time will tell if this unlikely paring will be successful. But I highly doubt the result will hinge on Nedohin's ability to play massive hit weight.

05-10-13 04:08PM
Unregistered

It's funny. When people heard Wayne Middaugh was joining Glenn Howard the exact opposite argument happened. People were adamant that Wayne wouldn't fit, that the strategy wouldn't adapt. All they did was immediately become world champions.

Kevin Martin has adapted to new players countless times and remained at or near the top of the world throughout. David Nedohin was the premiere shotmaker in the world during his run with Ferbey, so he's shown just fine that he can play alongside a strong personality. And besides, the front end is where the real incremental value has always lay with this team (aka brushing), and they haven't changed. After a few spiels together, I see no reason this group won't gel into one of the best teams in the world. They remain a favourite in the Olympic trials and anyone who doesn't agree needs to give their head a shake!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

05-10-13 04:32PM
Unregistered

Once had a coach tell me the it's the third that makes or breaks a team but the skip gets the glory. hmmmm
There's more than a few teams out there where a change up of the third made the difference between a good team becoming great or conversely cause a previously strong team to falter

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.89.62.122

05-11-13 09:33AM
lonehorseman

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Oly M. Pics

Some posters seem to forget that it was kennedy doing all the bailing out shots on the martin Team. Then Morris would make half shots and martin would have to make the circus shots to win the end. The last year martin has lacked in the circus shot department.

you beat me to the punch. Kennedy CONSISTENTLY curls in the 90's and John has to bail out Kevin???? Hebert and Kennedy almost always leave the back end of Martin with an advantageous situation on every end and, at least for the last couple of seasons, Johnie invariably throws half shots and leaves Kevin with a circus shot, ie. Manitoba game in brier where Martin has hammer in the last end, front end did their job leaving four foot relatively open for Kevin's final shot, all Johnnie has to do is peel the Stoughton's guards. His first toss was a NOSE hit, his second toss was a raise back hit to get Jeff's rock of the four foot that wouldn't be there, save for Johnie's miscue on his first. Johnie's raise back misses and to add to Kevin's woes sticks around the center guard area invariably taking any draw to the four foot Kevin had. Kevin on his last was forced into a 20 foot angle raise hit for the win and misses. Martin wins that game, he's in the page playoff and the way Martin was playing the tail end of the brier week, probably runs the gambit and wins another brier. It's those costly shots, more so with Morris than Martin on the back end that has cost this team countless wins and spiels the last couple of seasons

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 108.180.214.235

05-11-13 06:10PM
icemnnjack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icemnnjack Find more posts by icemnnjack Add icemnnjack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icemnnjack
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Once had a coach tell me the it's the third that makes or breaks a team but the skip gets the glory. hmmmm
There's more than a few teams out there where a change up of the third made the difference between a good team becoming great or conversely cause a previously strong team to falter

Interesting to not that the last three brier winners were team that had just made a change at third.... mead comming back, wayner and fry. arguably you can say 4 because i believe 2010 was the first full year of blake not throwing the brick for koe.seems like a good thing to do if done right.
and not thinking middaugh wouldnt work never crossed my mind, after all they did win the canada cup with him as a spare. or maybe that was a tryout in any case i personally dont thing its enough time to get everything straight but they could get lucky i put them at 3rd or 4th with stoughton howard fighting it out and maybe jacobs gets hot or mcuen breaks through

05-13-13 11:24AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

That said, Kevin Martin must have been so incredibly impressed by David, his amazing shot-making legacy, his tremendous on-ice demeanour that he still chose David Ned over anyone

I have a sneaking suspicion that Nedohin was the only player that (eventually) said yes. I doubt that he was the one and only that the team talked to or about. Nothing against David, but the announcement is made that he flat out turned them down and Team Martin sat around and waited for a change of heart? I think not. Good on David for recognizing an opportunity but obviously no one else was jumping at the chance to play with the formerly great Kevin Martin.

05-13-13 11:43AM
Unregistered

quote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Nedohin was the only player that (eventually) said yes. I doubt that he was the one and only that the team talked to or about. Nothing against David, but the announcement is made that he flat out turned them down and Team Martin sat around and waited for a change of heart? I think not. Good on David for recognizing an opportunity but obviously no one else was jumping at the chance to play with the formerly great Kevin Martin.

Thats what I am thinking. After David turned them down I really doubt that they were sitting around twiddling their thumbs and hoping David would change his mind. They probably did call some other options and they obviously got turned down. For more than one reason people were not jumping at the chance to play with them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

05-13-13 12:52PM
Unregistered

quote:

People are naming guys that just dont make sense.

David nedohin will never, ever curl voluntarily with kevin martin, I dont even think an olympic trials lure would be enough of a temptation. Besides, Kevin wants a level of commitment that I dont think david is ready to give anymore

Same thing goes for Richard Hart. He's retired, he's enjoying it and I dont think he's ready to go hard as kevin would require..there's also the fact that Richard has said before he played 3rd for Glenn for so long that he could not invision playing for anyone else.

The suggestion that Brad gushue or ryan fry would jump ship to kevin martin are assinine. Brad Gushue has a great team with him already and should get to the trials anyway. Ryan fry is on the team that won the brier and , again should make the trials anyway...Why dont you try thinking before you post some of your crap?

so much for the never ever, John has gone to Cotter and Dave to Martin. remind me not to let you guys pick my lotto tickets :-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 23.16.177.14

05-13-13 02:19PM
Unregistered

quote:

Thats what I am thinking. After David turned them down I really doubt that they were sitting around twiddling their thumbs and hoping David would change his mind. They probably did call some other options and they obviously got turned down. For more than one reason people were not jumping at the chance to play with them.

How about the simple reason was they had made commitments and were honoring them?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.91.107.236

05-13-13 03:38PM
Unregistered

David signed a 1 year deal with team Martin
March 15/13 til March 14/14

$100,000 a month guaranteed .. was signed 3 months ago, and he gets to keep the GOLD

THAT'S MY STORY AND I"M STICKING TO IT ....

05-13-13 05:07PM
Unregistered

quote:
David signed a 1 year deal with team Martin
March 15/13 til March 14/14

$100,000 a month guaranteed .. was signed 3 months ago, and he gets to keep the GOLD

THAT'S MY STORY AND I"M STICKING TO IT ....

Somehow I just don't think Martin has 1.2 million to pay Nedohin.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.91.107.236

05-13-13 06:35PM
Unregistered

1/2 right. ... Then you always miss by a mile

05-13-13 07:08PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
1/2 right. ... Then you always miss by a mile

I agree BUT if you have more accurate information please share it with us. Tnx

05-14-13 11:40AM
Unregistered

quote:

How about the simple reason was they had made commitments and were honoring them?

hahahahah - in a perfect world, maybe - hahahahah

05-15-13 02:43PM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

You can hear what Dave & Ben had to say about things here:

http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2264

It's Edmonton's 630 Ched Inside Sports. Find our 2 of the May 9 show, about half way through.

06-11-13 10:47PM
Unregistered

Rumor mill has Gunnlaugson leaving Cotter. Can anyone confirm this? And why?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.217

06-12-13 01:00AM
Unregistered

Jason, Tyrel, and Rick each drew a straw - Jason won

its like getting voted off the leper colony island...

06-12-13 01:37AM
Unregistered

quote:
Jason, Tyrel, and Rick each drew a straw - Jason won

its like getting voted off the leper colony island...

well done

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.51.32.250

06-12-13 09:40AM
Unregistered

Have since heard that Jason did step down for a 'business opportunity' but will remain 5th for the trials.

If Morris still isn't relocating to Vernon or Kelowna, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Richards at third for playdowns. Since right now Cotter likely has enough CTRS points to secure that provincial berth.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.199

06-12-13 04:11PM
Unregistered

Jeff already has a team for next year so that wont be happining.Bunch of movement in BC but no new names just the usual shuffle.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.244.60.114