NL (Locke) 11  Final
NO (Toner) (8)
NL (McDonah) Final
AB (Beaudry) 13  (8)
NS (Blades) Final
AB (Deschiffart) (10)
ON (Markle) Final
NT (Skauge) (10)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Johnny Mo joins Cotter

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-01-13 02:27PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Morris to join Team Jim Cotter for 2013-14 season

Skip Jim Cotter and his team from Kelowna and Vernon, B.C., are pleased to announce the addition of 2010 Olympic gold-medalist John Morris for their run to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Morris, who played the past seven seasons with the Kevin Martin team from Edmonton, will play with the team at the Capital One Road to the Roar Pre-Trials competition in November in Kitchener, Ont.

Cotter described the Martin team as “one of the most successful teams in the history of the game,” and said he was pleased to get a call from Morris about the possibility of joining his team.

“When a guy of John’s caliber calls you out of the blue, you’re definitely interested in what he has to say,” said Cotter. “John is someone who I’ve always highly respected on and off the ice. John is one of the best players in the world and surely would be accepted by any team he approached. Just based on his attitude and passion that he brings to the game and the fact that he is already good friends with several of our team members, it was an easy choice to make to join forces.”

Morris will join a five-man rotation on the team, joining Cotter, Jason Gunnlaugson, Tyrel Griffith and Rick Sawatzky.

“I took the five-man team option back to the guys and we all quickly agreed that the addition of John’s experience and ability would substantially improve our team and take us to a new level,” said Cotter. “ We all recognize how much John has sacrificed; it’s no secret. With that said, it has motivated us even more; it’s not every day an opportunity like this presents itself. We are ecstatic right now and are already looking forward to stepping on the ice again next season.”

Cotter said the team would feature Morris calling the game, while Cotter will throw skip rocks; he was in a similar role while playing with Pat Ryan at the 2005 Canadian Curling Trials in Halifax.

“I am extremely excited to be partnering up with Jim Cotter for an Olympic run next season,” said Morris. “I have always had nothing but tons of respect for not only his shooting ability but also his attitude towards the game of curling. Having Jim and I playing back-end together will be a deadly combo as it will allow Jim to focus mostly on his shot-making. I think our front end will be able to compete with the best front-ends on the World Curling Tour and their youthful enthusiasm will be a great addition to the squad. It was very important to me when I approached Jim that everyone on the team was on board and committed going forward. Team Cotter had a good year this past season and I didn’t want to come in and disrupt any team dynamics. To be a championship team, everyone has to be comfortable with their role on the team and ego’s have to be checked at the door, it is the only way to make positive strides together as a unit.”

Cotter and Morris said the early part of the season will be devoted to finding the best lineup to use in Kitchener.

“We will simply try out some front-end combinations early in the season at our first few bonspiels and whoever is rising to the occasion and playing the best will earn their spot,” said Morris. “All five members understand this situation and have embraced the challenge.

“Our goal will be to represent Canada in Sochi. This will be a great challenge and we will have to take some big strides in a short amount of time. However with the attitude, commitment, and motivation that I see from this team, there is no doubt in my mind we can be wearing a Maple Leaf on our backs in February.”

The team will get together for meetings in May and begin dry-land training soon afterward. The team will continue to play out of the Okanagan but will hold high-performance training camps at the National Training Centre at the Glencoe Club in Calgary.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-01-13 02:39PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think this will be interesting for both JohnnyMo and Team Cotter.

Cotter's teams needed a bit of a shake up and change, especially after the disappointment of not even making it into the playoffs at the provincials. They are a solid team, but... they did crumple at the worst of times.

What I find interesting is hearing that JohnnyMo approached Cotter. And that they agreed to trying a 5-man rotation until they could settle on the best line up. The boys must really think they're going to enjoy curling with each other... which, in the end, if you're not having some fun, why bother?

I hope that Morris makes the move to BC in the end. Might liven up men's curling in BC and stir up some more interest in the sport there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189

05-01-13 03:30PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think this will be interesting for both JohnnyMo and Team Cotter.

So John is going to throw 3rd stones and call the game. I think the Cotter team should have just went all the way and completely bent over backwards for John and let him be the "true" skip calling the games and throwing last stones. John is "conciliatory" now and happy he got on a team that at least has a pretrials spot locked up but over time I suspect he will become resentful and unhappy he is throwing 3rd stones on a team where he is a better shotmaker than the 4th stone thrower(Cotter)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.205.64

05-01-13 03:32PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It will make things interesting. Given the team that did represent BC at the Brier, Cotter must have been contemplating a change anyway and the timing with Morris could not have been better.

Will Gunner stay though? He will have to spend less time at the poker table and more time in the gym when Morris takes charge!

05-01-13 03:37PM
Unregistered

Well this is interesting. So Is it confirmed that he is throwing third and calling the game? I thought they were rotating the line up.

Does this man that Jim and John will stay permanent and that rick, jason and tyrel will rotate?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

05-01-13 05:58PM
Unregistered

quote:
And before BC curlers panic, it bears mentioning that everyone thought Gunner made this team invincible. Yet they didn't make it to the playoffs at provincials this year.

No one thought this. I'm not saying Jason is a bad player, but no one thought he would make that team unbeatable. There are a few curlers in BC better than him, including ones that have played on the back end with Cotter. I thought Gunner was a nice addition to Jim's team, but let's face it, John Morris is a far superior curler. That's not even a discussion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.187.103.209

05-01-13 06:34PM
Unregistered

hmmm
5 man team - doubt it
improvement for cotter - doubt it
improvement for martin - big time

guessing jason moves on , morris leaves cotter by dec 15 , cotter doesnt qualify , ...

too bad cca allows someone to jump like this and still be eligible

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

05-01-13 06:43PM
Unregistered

I feel like most curlers in BC would welcome John playing in the province permanently. They'd be silly not to, he'll help us all raise our games, and the province's elite teams have been dwindling over the last little while.

Cullen

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.84.228.101

05-01-13 07:54PM
iCurl

I think this will be an easy team to cheer for in the pre-trials. Cotter would have been one of my favorites anyway but with JohnnyMo there all the more so. Of course if they make it to the trials here in The Peg they'll be about No 3 choice (homer) If they win a spot in the ROTR they'll be up against Martin on the final Friday. Another interesting matchup that day.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.69.30

05-01-13 09:47PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

where was the "weak link' on Cotter's rink?

suppose picking up Johnny Mo made some sense for Cotter, don't know if "vice position" was the culprit to him . Interesting to know "WHO APPROACHED WHO" ON THIS TRADE?... WE'LL NEVER KNOW EXCEPT IN HIGHER CURLING CIRCLES.... so the 'fireman" is going to douse fires in the Okanaghan is he?....

05-01-13 10:34PM
Unregistered

I do not think this will end well.
I do not think you can share a 4 man team over 5 players.
Fifths are brought on for special occasions like the Briar.
But they know up front they will only play if one of the regulars get sick or hurt..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.176.247

05-02-13 11:42AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: where was the "weak link' on Cotter's rink?

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
suppose picking up Johnny Mo made some sense for Cotter, don't know if "vice position" was the culprit to him . Interesting to know "WHO APPROACHED WHO" ON THIS TRADE?... WE'LL NEVER KNOW EXCEPT IN HIGHER CURLING CIRCLES.... so the 'fireman" is going to douse fires in the Okanaghan is he?....

I dont think the team really had a " weak link". Rick is a strong lead, ultra consistent( actually the most consistent member of the team so rotating him may be detrimental).

Tyrel is a really strong second and could be among the top of them one day. He's got good draw weight and he's a good hitter.

Jason is a strong third..if your looking for a so called weak link it might be him. His game has more ways that it can go off and he's not great at the touch shots but even still he makes a hell of alot of shots and can hardly be considered a real weak link.

Sometimes I think that Calling the game and throwing last rocks hurts jim a bit, he always seemd so much more relaxed and to throw better when bob was with the team and calling game so this might be better for him. Still he's had a great year with this time (bar provincials).

It will be interesting to see how this goes because jim and john seem like polar oppisites personality wise.

05-02-13 11:44AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I do not think this will end well.
I do not think you can share a 4 man team over 5 players.
Fifths are brought on for special occasions like the Briar.
But they know up front they will only play if one of the regulars get sick or hurt..

there have been a few teams to use a constant toration before with varying degress of success. The thing is that the whole team needs to buy into it and the front 3 need to be aware that, at any time they could be sitting. If there's any sort of discourse at all than you'll fall on your face with it

05-02-13 02:57PM
Unregistered

So Brad Gushue confirms he is staying with is current team. ML and the others who suggested Gushue would curl with Martin did you really think he was going to leave his young crew high and dry and curl with Martin and be his vice skip? Potentially move to Alberta or spend time in Alberta training and practicing with the Martin crew? And how long was this arrangement going to last for? lol This scenario had a 0.001% chance of happening cross Gushue off the list speculators

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.20.51.134

05-02-13 03:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
So Brad Gushue confirms he is staying with is current team. ML and the others who suggested Gushue would curl with Martin did you really think he was going to leave his young crew high and dry and curl with Martin and be his vice skip? Potentially move to Alberta or spend time in Alberta training and practicing with the Martin crew? And how long was this arrangement going to last for? lol This scenario had a 0.001% chance of happening cross Gushue off the list speculators

Honestly anyone with a brain knew that gushue was not going to leave his team for martin. It was more fantasy speculation then anything

05-02-13 04:58PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Honestly anyone with a brain knew that gushue was not going to leave his team for martin. It was more fantasy speculation then anything

And "speculation" is just what these Forums are about. Nothing wrong with that, especially now that all the ice is melted.

05-02-13 06:36PM
Unregistered

i heard that the 3 team members gave him a month and allowed him to leave and that they have an agreement in place for the new guy ..

pretty much the same story as stoughton last year but they are trying to avoid the flack.... same as jj 2 years ago ..

3 strike rule .....time will tell ...btw its the obvious choice

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

05-02-13 08:56PM
Unregistered

Here's my take on this move after a bit of reflection and rereading press releases;

This is for the trials only and tour events leading up to them. Morris has a good job in Alberta and I doubt they're hiring out of province fire fighters in the okanagan. Which explains the 5 man rotation as Morris won't be in BC playdowns.

The only rotation, baring a departure, will be gunner and griffiths as you aren't likely to see sawatzky play second.

I also expect to see morris throw skip stones by the pretrials also. Unless cotter has a phenomenal start and they win big and often.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.168

05-03-13 01:35AM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Martin is going with Johnny "The Hammer" Chow

05-05-13 09:19AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Legend speaks a mouthfull.....

yep John Morris can always play for the "Fireman's nationals every year and win it?... what can I say , when I attended the Capital One Player's championships in Toronto and seen Earl Morris there was with the Muirhead team as coach, HE NEVER EVEN STAYED TO WATCH HIS SON PLAY THAT EXTRA END GAME , PERHAPS business is business in every sense of the word.

05-05-13 10:58AM
Unregistered

Maybe Martin takes a hint from John Epping and grabs someone from the old Mike Harris team.

Kennedy to 3rd, Hebert to 2nd, George Karrys at lead.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.2.184.219

05-05-13 11:28AM
icemnnjack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icemnnjack Find more posts by icemnnjack Add icemnnjack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icemnnjack
Harvey Hacksmasher

no matter howthey do it. really cant see hebert playing second. no inturn and no high level hitting ability. every endwould look like a skins. personally I think this teams chances of being over .500 at the trials left with john. kevin may be contemplating hard about who will accually play if they call for fear of rejection time after time. I could see someone like eckstrand filling the second spot. hes been with the team before. appleman? maybe

05-05-13 11:28AM
Unregistered

Manitoba Legend - an internal shift is possible but I can assure you that it will not be Karrick Martin. He is nowhere close to being capable of playing at this level in the second position and Kevin knows that better than anyone.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.149.135.161

05-05-13 01:20PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Well, Legend, those ideas are more interesting.

As an interloping American, I don't really know the timeline.

Must Martin make a decision right away? How much is their between the Pre Trials and the Trials?

Should KMart want to "test drive" a couple of players in the early cashspiel season, will he have enough time to make a final choice and jell the team before The Trials?

If so, avoiding the permanent naming of the new player until after the Pre Trials will open up a wide selection of great players.

Moving up his second sounds like an excellent idea. I've always been extremely impressed with him and he appears to have all the shots. I am assuming that he would vice a good house, but I have no idea.

Ben Tucker

05-05-13 01:56PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Legend speaks a mouthfull.....

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
yep John Morris can always play for the "Fireman's nationals every year and win it?... what can I say , when I attended the Capital One Player's championships in Toronto and seen Earl Morris there was with the Muirhead team as coach, HE NEVER EVEN STAYED TO WATCH HIS SON PLAY THAT EXTRA END GAME , PERHAPS business is business in every sense of the word.

Earle coaches Homan not Muirhead.