Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

It is unfortunate that the WCCC isn't going to go this year, and I think the organizers are to be commended for running the event all those years. It had the strongest field of any event in the province.

I do think a BC curling tour with the points leader earning a berth in the BC men's championship would be a beneficial thing. I would envision many events with a $500 entry fee or whatever the minimum is to make them CTRS eligible. This would make them more accessible to bottom-feeding teams such as mine.

In order to have a tour we need events and in order to have events you need organizers and volunteers. Curl BC can't just say there's going to be a tour without the events in place to make it happen. We need folks in the curling world to step forward and say they will run events and help organize a tour. The Region 11 Men's Bonspiel Tour started because I had the idea and I said I'd run it.

I'd like to see a group of competitive curlers formed to get more events started and a tour in place. I think if we can make it happen then the Curl BC directors would be glad to offer a spot in the BC men's championship.

TJ, if you are serious, you can count on me helping out. I can be reached on my cell at 778-317-1071 or via email at outturn@email.com. I would ask other competitive curlers to consider stepping forward to help out as well. We can write in curlingzone forums all we want, but things don't get done unless people are willing to take action.

Richard Brower

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.92.181.53

Old Post 04-11-13 03:38PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Good comments TJ. And valuable ones that lay credibility to the argument that it was partially scheduling, not lack of desire, that kept teams from entering New West.

A tour with a provincial berth is a great idea. Interesting cast of characters you suggest to run it also. I do think that any tour should be a partnership with curl BC and to get team support the berth is a neccesity.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.229

Old Post 04-11-13 04:47PM
Unregistered

Nothing like getting hacked.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.187

Old Post 04-12-13 08:38PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Had to go borrow a buddy's computer to post this seeking as TJ was so kind to mention me-lol.

Sorry to see the WCC shut down. The club and its committee worked hard for a successful 13 years. I do hope that some lower mainland club starts a replacement soon.

As for a tour, its a great idea and one I've touted for years (yes Richard, I've also proposed it to the fine folks at Curl BC). And if TJ wants to crank up a group I'd be happy to help. But you can include me in the group who think Curl BC should be involved and that a provincial berth is a necessity at the start up.

Otherwise I don't see it being a success and getting team support.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-14-13 02:12PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

My post about a BC tour prompted an email from Gerry Guertz at the World Curling Tour. Gerry sent me information on a national development tour the WCT is looking at, which I was unaware of. I have posted this document on the Peace Arch CC website at:

http://peacearchcurling.com/wp-cont...opment-Tour.pdf

Here is what Gerry is suggesting in his email to me:

"The World Curling Tour is working on developing a Tier 2 series and we are looking for events interested in joining. It believe it could be a great intermediate solution to building towards a BC Tour and getting a few events off the ground."

"It looks like we'll have one event in Abbotsford next year, adding another 2-3 would be great for next season. Would you be interested in taking charge of an event and getting it off the ground?"

This sounds to me like something that could be really beneficial for BC. I'd like to get involved but I need help from others across the province. I'm going to be talking to a few folks from across the province about it this week at the Pacific International Cup. I'm also going to be chasing down others whose names frequently appear in here! Let me know if you'd like to be involved.

Richard Brower
778-317-1071

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.92.181.53

Old Post 04-16-13 02:11PM
Unregistered

While I appreciate Gerry'$ interest Richard, don't you feel we should be focusing on what's best for BC first?.

Instead of being a part of a 'tier 2' tour, let's be our own tour first. Independent, serving BC curlers first and not being told what to do by the WCT-which, Gerry's good intentions aside, is about making a profit. Not about developing BC curling.

After we've rebuilt BC curling, then we can talk on even terms with the WCT

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.135

Old Post 04-17-13 01:08AM
Unregistered

Very short sighted. You need the WCT to promote the events & to help organize. Look at what they did with the Ontario Tour, look at the points the teams have been getting, and look at how many of theses teams are now competing in multiple Grand Slam events. You need some sort of carrot out there, more than provincials alone, for teams to compete for.
Events, not only New West struggle to get teams. Cloverdale gets 16, Victoria barely gets 16, Vernon gets about 16, Kamloops gets a few more.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.16.215.129

Old Post 04-17-13 12:14PM
Unregistered

Shortsighted? How so? Past events are clear indicators of future events. And if anything the WCT is partly responsible for the decline in small events and in the number of teams through the creation of a system that caters to wealthy, funded teams and discourages participation through a false class system.

There is no reason why BC Tour events can't be WCT events and advertised through them. However, we should not demean our events by classifying them as substandard. And we, not an outside organization, need to run our own show here at home.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.228

Old Post 04-17-13 02:20PM
Unregistered

True enough, but the exposure alone, through the WCT, should not be waived off so quickly.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.70.243.178

Old Post 04-18-13 11:29AM
Unregistered

Absolutely. And any spiel can advertise on the WCT if it wishes. But there are plenty of other exposure avenues. A tour would have it's own website, the Curl BC site & yearbook, Playdowns.com, even old fashion mailing lists work well. And don't forget the CCA CTRS event list-as long as the spiel qualifies.

Plenty of ways to get the word out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.162

Old Post 04-18-13 02:25PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Absolutely. And any spiel can advertise on the WCT if it wishes. But there are plenty of other exposure avenues. A tour would have it's own website, the Curl BC site & yearbook, Playdowns.com, even old fashion mailing lists work well. And don't forget the CCA CTRS event list-as long as the spiel qualifies.

Plenty of ways to get the word out.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Why don't you help Richard out?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.16.215.129

Old Post 04-19-13 11:40AM
Unregistered

I just might once I see who's on board. If it's a group working to better the future, great. But if it turns into a group of old boys just helping themselves, no thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.170

Old Post 04-21-13 04:56PM