Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-24-13 04:49AM
chrisrimple is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chrisrimple Click here to Send chrisrimple a Private Message Visit chrisrimple's homepage! Find more posts by chrisrimple Add chrisrimple to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chrisrimple
Knee-Slider

Lower BC summer ice?

Last summer, the North Shore Winter Club in North Vancouver was the nearest club to Seattle with curling ice available during the summer. I made the 6-hour round trip drive every week, because summertime is for curling (not golf). I met some great people and got in plenty of practice.

I've heard that some other clubs in Lower BC will be offering summer ice this year, perhaps White Rock and others. If anyone knows of clubs that will have ice in June-September, please list them here. Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-13 04:27PM
caddyman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for caddyman Click here to Send caddyman a Private Message Find more posts by caddyman Add caddyman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
caddyman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Summer curling ice...

I just learned on the weekend that the summer ice scenario at the North Shore Winter Club is now a no-go....

Sad to hear...

Brett

03-25-13 04:36PM
caddyman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for caddyman Click here to Send caddyman a Private Message Find more posts by caddyman Add caddyman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
caddyman
Harvey Hacksmasher

White Rock is a no as well....

Brett

03-25-13 04:52PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Try some cross training crisrimple.

It is getting expensive to keep an ice plant going all summer long.

03-25-13 07:18PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

White Rock???!!! News to me and I manage the place! I'm sitting here watching our ice melt as I write this. Where the heck did you hear that rumour?

Richard Brower

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.92.181.53

03-25-13 07:54PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
White Rock???!!! News to me and I manage the place! I'm sitting here watching our ice melt as I write this. Where the heck did you hear that rumour?

Richard Brower

I thought we had one more draw left

03-27-13 01:08PM
Unregistered

I know North Shore has ice until at least early May cause there is a spiel there. So why wouldn't they just keep it in over the summer for teams to practice? I wasn't sure how to start a new thread but speaking of summer practicing... are there any new teams in BC? Anyone still looking, etc?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 128.189.202.101

03-29-13 11:52PM
Unregistered

Yeah, I need one more player!

Richard Brower

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.86.254.186

03-30-13 10:40PM
Unregistered

North Shore Winter Club

If you go onto The North Shore Winterclub website (link included), you will see that they will have a short spring league either on Wed or Sat. More of a fun league, but an opportunity to curl on for a few more weeks, then the rocks are being sent off for "reconditioning" is what I understand.

http://nsw.gametime.net/cne/public/...lType=AVAILABLE is the link to join the spring activities.

Hope to see you there!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

03-31-13 09:09PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Yeah, summer ice was a no-go at NSWC (they were planning it up until mid-March and then changed their plans (they even took my money... before the refunded it). Not sure the real reason other than the rocks being re-conditioned, but maybe it wasn't cost effective after trying it last summer. They are having a final bonspiel in early May.

(And if anyone is looking for a moderately competent curler for that spiel, let me know... yes, I mean me. I'll provide references.)

I know a few other clubs are looking at the idea, but it boils down to whether they can make a business case for it. I could see clubs that share an ice plant like some in community centres maybe giving it a try, since they may keep their hockey rinks rolling along all summer (Vancouver CC comes to mind, perhaps Coquitlam or a few others might be possibilities).

Other than that, a few summer bonspiels will have to do. Kelowna has one over the Canada Day long weekend, and Vernon and Osoyoos has there's in August I think, plus a few on the island and up in Powell River (PRCC is the weekend after the BC Day long weekend).

04-05-13 08:34PM
Unregistered

And now competitive curling in BC has been dealt another blow with the end of the West Coast CC.

Question is why? Lack of sponsorship? Volunteers? RCCC membership didn't want it anymore?

Why not scale back the spiel, run it in November, do something more for BC teams? A spiel can still be a success without big names.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.188

04-07-13 02:03PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
And now competitive curling in BC has been dealt another blow with the end of the West Coast CC.

Question is why? Lack of sponsorship? Volunteers? RCCC membership didn't want it anymore?

Why not scale back the spiel, run it in November, do something more for BC teams? A spiel can still be a success without big names.

From a this-year perspective, it's a lack of sponsorship, mainly.

The main reason it shut down, though, is the lack of BC teams entering the spiel. Last year only saw 5 teams from BC go into the spiel. The failure of BC teams to support the spiel forced it to shut down.

By not being able to have 24 teams, sponsors become less interested, the purse gets driven down, points get driven down. Big names were always into coming to the spiel. The reason the spiel numbers dropped were not because of the big teams west of Ontario not coming out, it was because BC teams stopped entering it.

04-07-13 05:20PM
Unregistered

Can you blame BC teams for not entering? This event was held at almost the very start of the season, when there were four events in BC crammed into five weeks.

Hardly any clubs were also open. Meaning you were asking teams to shell out a grand for entry to go against big names who had been playing for over a month. No wonder teams stayed away.

Running this spiel in November, closer to playdowns would give this event a waiting list.

No offense JC, but don't blame the teams-that's like saying its the audience's fault for not laughing if your joke is bad. Instead, look at the product offered.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.151

04-07-13 09:02PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Can you blame BC teams for not entering? This event was held at almost the very start of the season, when there were four events in BC crammed into five weeks.

Hardly any clubs were also open. Meaning you were asking teams to shell out a grand for entry to go against big names who had been playing for over a month. No wonder teams stayed away.

Running this spiel in November, closer to playdowns would give this event a waiting list.

No offense JC, but don't blame the teams-that's like saying its the audience's fault for not laughing if your joke is bad. Instead, look at the product offered.

No offense to you either, but these are all just classic whines. The circumstances were the exact same 5 years ago when you would have 12 BC teams in the event, so why has it changed now?

The lack of ice? It's pretty easy to find ice if you want to. The Westcoast Classic was typically our third event of the season and we'd have been playing and practicing for a month at that point.

I also love the entry fee argument. Spiels cost money. Welcome to the real world of curling. Either you're willing to pay to get better, or you aren't. But it shouldn't be something that is complained about, that's what top spiels cost.

And do you know how hard it is to find a weekend in November that other huge spiels aren't running on? Timing is everything when it comes to running a spiel and attracting the right names.

04-07-13 10:08PM
Unregistered

I hope that your last post was one of your comedy routines and meant in jest. If not, you've pretty much insulted most of the teams in BC.

Let me give you a reality check. Teams have finite, not infinite, resources. You cram so many events in our province into such a short time frame at the beginning of a season and you are forcing teams to make choices.

Teams in the interior will choose Vernon and kamloops. Lower mainland will opt for Cloverdale because its cheaper and most of them are just getting on the ice. Island teams will do their spiel later on and maybe Cloverdale for the same reasons.

Don't trot out your arguement about costs until you show respect for other teams realities. Otherwise its arrogant and its the kind of arrogance that is killing curling in BC

And who cares about the schedule in November? BC teams are starving for an event that month. Put the WCCC in mid November and you'd fill it. Any moron can see that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.151

04-08-13 02:30PM
jcullen

quote:
I hope that your last post was one of your comedy routines and meant in jest. If not, you've pretty much insulted most of the teams in BC.

Let me give you a reality check. Teams have finite, not infinite, resources. You cram so many events in our province into such a short time frame at the beginning of a season and you are forcing teams to make choices.

Teams in the interior will choose Vernon and kamloops. Lower mainland will opt for Cloverdale because its cheaper and most of them are just getting on the ice. Island teams will do their spiel later on and maybe Cloverdale for the same reasons.

Don't trot out your arguement about costs until you show respect for other teams realities. Otherwise its arrogant and its the kind of arrogance that is killing curling in BC

And who cares about the schedule in November? BC teams are starving for an event that month. Put the WCCC in mid November and you'd fill it. Any moron can see that.

So what, WCCC--which has held its event on the same weekend since its inception, for 10+ years--is supposed to move the event to cater to teams that are unwilling to make sacrifices to come and play in it? That only play in 2 events a season?

Kamloops used to be in November and it moved. Why? Because it couldn't draw top BC teams, BECAUSE THEY WERE TRAVELING TO OTHER SPIELS. Vernon changed its weekend too.

There's already an event for BC teams in November in Victoria. It's a great spiel, run by some awesome guys who recognized a need in this province for a November spiel.

Moving the WCCC to November so we can attract more BC teams and yet lose all of the top squads due to Slams, other events, etc. would've killed it faster than it was already killed. BC doesn't need another event with a $10-12,000 purse. And trust me, that's what would happen, because no elite teams are coming here in November. How is that difficult to understand?

No offense meant to any team in BC, but people would rather sponsor/go watch an event with Kevin Martin and Jeff Stoughton and Kevin Koe in it than my team and Neil Dangerfield and Tom Buchy, or whatever. It seems you don't quite grasp exactly where the bread is buttered.

I hate the "resources are limited" argument. It's the laziest, most pathetic argument in curling. Here's why:

If your resources are actually limited by work, time, kids, etc.(and I fully understand that they are for many, many people and I 100% respect that), then that's great, but you just can't be a top team. That's the reality. Curling isn't going to come to you. Don't complain. If you want to be a top team, you find ways to conquer this. I've been teaching for 4 years, yet haven't taken a full-time job so I can get the time off to curl. I curled less when I was in school, because the reality was that then, school was my priority. I made curling my priority when I got a job because I want to succeed in this sport. I recognize this isn't a reality for everyone, but I made it my reality to try to get better. I'm certainly not the only one who has done this. Until Canada pays its athletes to curl like other federations, elite curlers in this country have to create job situations that allow for a maximum amount of time off. If you have a family to support, an inflexible job, fine. No one is telling you you're a bad person or a bad curler. It's just pretty tough to be a top curler if you're not willing to make that sacrifice.

If curling is your priority, you have the right to complain about decisions that are made by Curl Canada, organizing groups of spiels, etc. If it isn't your priority--and again, it's totally okay if it isn't--you can't complain about not having the opportunities to be an elite team. The curling world shouldn't--and won't--have to cater to your niche needs.

Tom Buchy is an excellent example of this. He fully understands the implications of living where he does, wishes he could curl more, but he can't. Fair enough. Yet, he still enters playdowns every year, does well, and you won't meet a curler in BC who has a bad word to say about him. He's not going to sit out in the Kootenays and say "screw you guys for making the WCCC in October," because he's made choices and understands them.

I'll never understand the mentality that teams from other provinces should just come over to BC whenever we want them to, and that the events should be the exact weekends we want them to be, and provincials should be a million teams so everybody can go, etc. To be the best, you have to beat the best. You have to go find them, it's not up to them to come find you. We were lucky that Brent Pierce and countless others worked their asses off to bring them here in the first place, and that it lasted as long as it did.

If you want to be an elite team, a true elite team, you make the sacrifices. If you don't, that's cool, but don't come and complain at the elite teams for making the sacrifices, taking the time, and doing the things you won't do to succeed. The more teams that adopt this attitude of wanting everything their exact way, the more the number of elite teams in BC is going to dwindle, and soon enough, we'll be lucky to beat out PEI and the Territories at the Brier, because we'll be sitting back in our own province, playing the same teams over and over and expecting things to just magically change. Well, guess what? They won't.

Cullen

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.22.16.55

04-08-13 03:19PM
rocking chair curler

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

So what, WCCC--which has held its event on the same weekend since its inception, for 10+ years--is supposed to move the event to cater to teams that are unwilling to make sacrifices to come and play in it? That only play in 2 events a season?

Kamloops used to be in November and it moved. Why? Because it couldn't draw top BC teams, BECAUSE THEY WERE TRAVELING TO OTHER SPIELS. Vernon changed its weekend too.

There's already an event for BC teams in November in Victoria. It's a great spiel, run by some awesome guys who recognized a need in this province for a November spiel.

Moving the WCCC to November so we can attract more BC teams and yet lose all of the top squads due to Slams, other events, etc. would've killed it faster than it was already killed. BC doesn't need another event with a $10-12,000 purse. And trust me, that's what would happen, because no elite teams are coming here in November. How is that difficult to understand?

No offense meant to any team in BC, but people would rather sponsor/go watch an event with Kevin Martin and Jeff Stoughton and Kevin Koe in it than my team and Neil Dangerfield and Tom Buchy, or whatever. It seems you don't quite grasp exactly where the bread is buttered.

I hate the "resources are limited" argument. It's the laziest, most pathetic argument in curling. Here's why:

If your resources are actually limited by work, time, kids, etc.(and I fully understand that they are for many, many people and I 100% respect that), then that's great, but you just can't be a top team. That's the reality. Curling isn't going to come to you. Don't complain. If you want to be a top team, you find ways to conquer this. I've been teaching for 4 years, yet haven't taken a full-time job so I can get the time off to curl. I curled less when I was in school, because the reality was that then, school was my priority. I made curling my priority when I got a job because I want to succeed in this sport. I recognize this isn't a reality for everyone, but I made it my reality to try to get better. I'm certainly not the only one who has done this. Until Canada pays its athletes to curl like other federations, elite curlers in this country have to create job situations that allow for a maximum amount of time off. If you have a family to support, an inflexible job, fine. No one is telling you you're a bad person or a bad curler. It's just pretty tough to be a top curler if you're not willing to make that sacrifice.

If curling is your priority, you have the right to complain about decisions that are made by Curl Canada, organizing groups of spiels, etc. If it isn't your priority--and again, it's totally okay if it isn't--you can't complain about not having the opportunities to be an elite team. The curling world shouldn't--and won't--have to cater to your niche needs.

Tom Buchy is an excellent example of this. He fully understands the implications of living where he does, wishes he could curl more, but he can't. Fair enough. Yet, he still enters playdowns every year, does well, and you won't meet a curler in BC who has a bad word to say about him. He's not going to sit out in the Kootenays and say "screw you guys for making the WCCC in October," because he's made choices and understands them.

I'll never understand the mentality that teams from other provinces should just come over to BC whenever we want them to, and that the events should be the exact weekends we want them to be, and provincials should be a million teams so everybody can go, etc. To be the best, you have to beat the best. You have to go find them, it's not up to them to come find you. We were lucky that Brent Pierce and countless others worked their asses off to bring them here in the first place, and that it lasted as long as it did.

If you want to be an elite team, a true elite team, you make the sacrifices. If you don't, that's cool, but don't come and complain at the elite teams for making the sacrifices, taking the time, and doing the things you won't do to succeed. The more teams that adopt this attitude of wanting everything their exact way, the more the number of elite teams in BC is going to dwindle, and soon enough, we'll be lucky to beat out PEI and the Territories at the Brier, because we'll be sitting back in our own province, playing the same teams over and over and expecting things to just magically change. Well, guess what? They won't.

Cullen

Well said. I have enjoyed watching the WCCC for 3 years now and will miss it. Now what will I do for Thanksgiving? I will have to cook the turkey at home?
Kidding aside, the big names were still here in 2010, but the Stu sells really took the majority to the East. Gushue said the time and costs to fly and stay on the West Coast compared to TO were a factor in going to the Stu Sells rather than the WCCC. As to the BC teams needing to compete with the others, this years Men's World cup showed that Team Edin, who travels to Canada to expose himself to the elite curlers over and over again paid off.
I wish BC players well. Team Cotter and Team Pearce have beaten the elite teams and I hope they and other BC teams will continue to get as much exposure as possible to keep improving their skills.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

04-08-13 06:14PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

Cullen

Well articulated Mr. Cullen
30yrs of neglect in BC curling developement means the competitive player age demographic is older and older every year. I started the WCCC to bring "GoldTrail" curling to my home club. Enticed Martin to come and the rest would follow. It was a great run! Unfortunately, BC men's curling is smaller than ever. Other than Cotter and Ursel before him, no other BC teams outside of the lowermainland ever supported the event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.119.164.178

04-09-13 12:06AM
Unregistered

quote:

Well articulated Mr. Cullen
30yrs of neglect in BC curling developement means the competitive player age demographic is older and older every year. I started the WCCC to bring "GoldTrail" curling to my home club. Enticed Martin to come and the rest would follow. It was a great run! Unfortunately, BC men's curling is smaller than ever. Other than Cotter and Ursel before him, no other BC teams outside of the lowermainland ever supported the event.

So let me get this straight. In 13 years you never had an island team or any one from out side the lower mainland except cotter and ursel?

What a pile of BS.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.205

04-09-13 12:58PM
Unregistered

quote:

So let me get this straight. In 13 years you never had an island team or any one from out side the lower mainland except cotter and ursel?

What a pile of BS.

Monty a couple times, Tuson & Wood maybe a couple times, thats about it. No BS just fact. Typically 12-14 lower mainland squads,couple USA squads, 2or3 internation teams and the rest from Winnipeg west and mostly Alta teams. Talking of back in 32team years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.119.164.178

04-09-13 02:23PM
Unregistered

The one positive I get from all the posts is that people are passionate and disappointed about the spiel and its end.

But if what Cullen says is true that a primary reason was the clack of local teams then it means the event knew it needed local teams to survive.

The question is did they try to find out why those teams were absent?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.235

04-09-13 03:55PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think you have to consider that we only had 10 teams in Premium League in the Lower Mainland....i think it's just a lack of competitive teams period in the area, not that they didn't enter.

There is only a handful of teams that commit to such spiels in the lower mainland and those numbers have been less and less each year....those left who curl just keep shifing and playing with the same people from year to year and the game is not growing, so i think it is not a surprise that local participation would not be involved in the WCCC, and be happy it lasted as long as it did.

04-10-13 02:13PM
Unregistered

You may have only 10 teams in the league, but more than that-from other clubs-entered playdowns. Plus, what do island or interior teams say about the spiel and why they didn't enter?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.194

04-11-13 11:52AM
Unregistered

The reason I have not entered in the past few years is because Vernon and Kamloops are also in October and it just makes for too much travelling in one month, too much time away from work.....and too many events close together. We can only afford to do 3/4 spiels per year so like to spread them out a bit. Vernon is an obvious one for us. Then it kind of comes down to Kamloops or New West....being that New West is the weekend right after Vernon......tough sell to work colleagues and the wife.

I still think a BC Tour would be beneficial for curling in BC. Perhaps Curl BC should put some effort into this idea? No wait, they would screw it up! Private organization please!!

Between Pierce, Merk, VandenBerghe and Sexton....ok i'll throw myself in there too....there is lots of energy and experience there to make it happen, just need to committ.

Vernon. New West. Kamloops. Victoria. Nelson I hear is interested again........minimum of 16 teams, keep the event short and simple......don't have back to back weekends.....winner of the BC Tour gets a spot at provincials...

While we would be playing against the same teams a lot which isn't the best case scenario.....it gives the A/B teams a chance to gear up to start playing against the Elite teams. Without fostering A/B teams....our odds of having Elite teams in the future is virtually nil. Curl BC should wake up to this notion....

Cheers,
TJP

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.71.122.78

04-11-13 11:53AM
BCRocker

The reason I have not entered in the past few years is because Vernon and Kamloops are also in October and it just makes for too much travelling in one month, too much time away from work.....and too many events close together. We can only afford to do 3/4 spiels per year so like to spread them out a bit. Vernon is an obvious one for us. Then it kind of comes down to Kamloops or New West....being that New West is the weekend right after Vernon......tough sell to work colleagues and the wife.

I still think a BC Tour would be beneficial for curling in BC. Perhaps Curl BC should put some effort into this idea? No wait, they would screw it up! Private organization please!!

Between Pierce, Merk, VandenBerghe and Sexton....ok i'll throw myself in there too....there is lots of energy and experience there to make it happen, just need to committ.

Vernon. New West. Kamloops. Victoria. Nelson I hear is interested again........minimum of 16 teams, keep the event short and simple......don't have back to back weekends.....winner of the BC Tour gets a spot at provincials...

While we would be playing against the same teams a lot which isn't the best case scenario.....it gives the A/B teams a chance to gear up to start playing against the Elite teams. Without fostering A/B teams....our odds of having Elite teams in the future is virtually nil. Curl BC should wake up to this notion....

Cheers,
TJP

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.71.122.78