Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > Who is Excited? Curling Night in America

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-02-14 02:41PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Who is Excited?

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ing-Grand-Prix/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-02-14 02:43PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

What are they playing for?

12-02-14 04:17PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Viewers and the future of national broadcast curling.

And, perhaps, to show the Canadians they shouldn't have tossed them from the Continental Cup.

Pretty high stakes.

12-02-14 07:05PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I wish they had named it "Canada Can Take The Continental Cup And Stick It". We'll play on NBCSport...you can play on Rogers.

Does it sound like I'm bitter about the CCA mandated changes in the CCup? Good, because I am bitter. I hear they are coming back to Vegas next year. I hope they'll be doing that without the help of a single American.

Too bitter? Well, my bad knee doesn't allow for much curling so I guess I'm a Grumpy Old Man before my time. I don't mind neighborhood kids playing on my lawn, so I'll just tell Canucks to get off the ice.

Ben Tucker
Grumpy Old Man

12-02-14 11:02PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I can attest to the fact that Tuck is tolerant to yard play. I've pulled up to is house many times, only to find broken windows fron baseballs etc.

Don't give up on playing yet Ben, I've found shoes that should allow you to slide beyond the tee line, clear to the top of the house.

Last edited by mr. lucky on 12-03-14 at 10:24AM

12-03-14 11:36AM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

a bit off topic, but the Canada cup is airing live on ESPN 3 if anyone is interested

12-03-14 11:54AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Sour grapes folks. Like it or not, given the talent level of USA curlers in prior Canada Cup versus that of Canadian curlers that were not in prior cups, it is not hard to understand why sponsors wanted to change the format. And like it or not, the Grand Prix is not going to change that. Why would Canadian curling fans, or American curlers for that matter, want to watch Team New Zealand when they could watch Koe, McEwen, Morris, Jacobs, Howard, Gushue, etc.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 12-03-14 at 12:32PM

12-03-14 01:08PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Why would Canadian curling fans, or American curlers for that matter, want to watch Team New Zealand when they could watch Koe, McEwen, Morris, Jacobs, Howard, Gushue, etc.

Team NZ has two Canadians. Hans Frauenlob, the skip, is from Ontario.
Dan Mustapic is the other.

12-03-14 04:41PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Sour grapes folks. Like it or not, given the talent level of USA curlers in prior Canada Cup versus that of Canadian curlers that were not in prior cups, it is not hard to understand why sponsors wanted to change the format. And like it or not, the Grand Prix is not going to change that. Why would Canadian curling fans, or American curlers for that matter, want to watch Team New Zealand when they could watch Koe, McEwen, Morris, Jacobs, Howard, Gushue, etc.

We were talking Continental Cup, I agree with the Canada Cup but give us a few years to earn a spot. Unless of course it becomes your National championship.

Also, this will be on tape delay spread over several weeks, not broadcast this weekend so we can watch the Canada Cup on ESPN on our computers and still check out the Grand Prix.

And lastly Many non-curling Americans will have to tune in for this to be a commercial success.

12-03-14 05:22PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The Canada Cup is strictly a Canadian event. The winner qualifies for the pre-trials.

How long have the Canadian ex-pats been in NZ? I know that Hugh has been in Australia for at least 20+ years.

Really interesting that ESPN3 has been showing all this curling. A sign of the future? Could there be curling on ESPN2 at some point? Is this a test?

JH

12-03-14 10:43PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

How long have the Canadian ex-pats been in NZ? I know that Hugh has been in Australia for at least 20+ years.

Really interesting that ESPN3 has been showing all this curling. A sign of the future? Could there be curling on ESPN2 at some point? Is this a test?

JH

The Canadian ex-pats hold NZ passports and have been there for 20 some odd years too.

12-03-14 11:36PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Yep, I got my Cups mixed up. Not as many top Canadian rinks as I listed [from Canada Cup] but still the same story. Curling fans would rather watch them than the Americans. USA needs to play better to show they belong in future Continental Cups. Hope the Grand Prix is successful -- probably do not need top teams but still need to attract viewers somehow.

12-04-14 10:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well it is silly to call it the Continental Cup when our American friends are no longer included. Last I checked, Canada is not the only country in North America. Watching some games last night in the Canada Cup, I think the Euros will have a very easy time of it this year.

Maybe President Obama should call PM Harper and offer to approve the Keystone Pipeline if the USA can participate in the Continental Cup

12-04-14 12:28PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Well it is silly to call it the Continental Cup when our American friends are no longer included. Last I checked, Canada is not the only country in North America.

But Norway, Scotland, Sweden, etc are also from a different continent... so guess Continental Cup still works. Best curlers from continent of Europe and best curlers from continent of North America

Last edited by dbsdbs on 12-04-14 at 12:31PM

12-04-14 01:48PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:

But Norway, Scotland, Sweden, etc are also from a different continent... so guess Continental Cup still works. Best curlers from continent of Europe and best curlers from continent of North America

That makes sense. Thank you. Best curlers from North America.

12-04-14 02:27PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:

So I am assuming under this definition any time the Americans finish higher at the Worlds we will be the hosts of the Continental cup?

Sweet.

12-04-14 05:08PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

You may be right biterbar but I doubt that will be an issue in my lifetime

12-04-14 06:31PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

If I was an American looking to see more curling on TV i would be excited by the prospect that the sport is getting more Tv coverage through this taped for later release series. But anyone that thinks the this series is something trend setting and unique needs to go back many a yr when CBC did the same thing. I believe Don Chevrier and Don Witman were hosts/ commentators. As far as bragging it is on NBC and the Slams are only on Sportsnet is no big deal because if you check the viewership the Sportnet broadcasts will likely be higher numbers.

But it is still a good thing that NBC is interested in doing something for curling in the USA...

12-04-14 08:47PM
gonzobob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gonzobob Click here to Send gonzobob a Private Message Find more posts by gonzobob Add gonzobob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gonzobob
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm excited, not because American curling will be on subscription TV (I actually no longer subscribe to satellite TV and watch most of my sports and movies via internet streaming), but because Four Seasons CC is my home club. I played hookie (OK, I really used a 1/2 day of vacation) and went to watch the 2 PM draw this afternoon.

The US men were looking good to blank the 7th and start the 8th down by one with the hammer but Heath's hammer must've stuck around (I didn't see the shot but noticed Plys slamming his broom down on the ice after the end). The Chinese skip made a nice double with the hammer in the 8th to score 2 and win.

The US women were in trouble in the 6th but the Chinese skip was heavy on her draw to sit 3 with her first stone and it was swept out the back. Nina then made a nice double and the end was then blanked. US made some nice freezes in the 7th to force China to 1 but just couldn't make the draws in the 8th to give them a chance for 2 to tie.

Last edited by gonzobob on 12-04-14 at 08:57PM

12-04-14 11:32PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

My Canadian friends need to forgive my jabs at the Continental Cup. I was just being a touch snarky when replying to the question of why we are hosting teams from the Pacific Rim and not Euros.

Gonzo might need to start out with Spoiler Alert, but I'm liking his post. I hope he calls in sick tomorrow and posts more with even more details. I had planned to be there myself, but (ironically) I am actually sick. Nothing serious. It just would have been cool to catch some of this and then keep going to Eau Claire for Mixed Doubles.

Ben Tucker

12-05-14 12:11AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

OK, Terri is doing press releases...so no Spoiler Alert needed from Gonzo.

Drawing for the game instead of playing out the extra end??? I thought this was Made For TV? Ain't no better TV Curling than an extra end! I'm sure that they have a good reason or two kinda good reasons...but I hope they reconsider this if it becomes an annual affair...and I really hope it becomes and annual affair...sales of commercial timeslots will probably determine its future.

Ben Tucker

12-05-14 12:50AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Drawing for the game rather than playing an extra end sounds like a made-for-tv solution. Like the shootout in hockey and soccer, just completely change how the game has been played to determine a winner quickly so that the game fits in the tv time slot. Don't expect them to reconsider this one.

12-05-14 01:45PM
Dcasper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dcasper Click here to Send Dcasper a Private Message Find more posts by Dcasper Add Dcasper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dcasper
Harvey Hacksmasher

At this rate they shouldnt even have the leads and seconds throw. Just pre place the rocks and fit the game into an hour. What a sham. Has anyone considered who is paying for all this?

12-05-14 01:59PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

made for tv -- first mixed doubles and now this change to decide tie games. I am afraid we are stuck with these -- not good.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 12-05-14 at 07:25PM

12-06-14 01:35PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

The Canadian ex-pats hold NZ passports and have been there for 20 some odd years too.

Hi Captain-the New Zealand team is essentially their Senior Men's team that finished second to Canada 2 years ago. Hans is spending his spare time doing the netcasts of Pac-Asia events. The Kiwis record at this event also indicates that our winter is their "off-season".