Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-17 08:38PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
honestly i have to disagree about america being the most important market. it would be ideal of the asian countries could rise up and become an actual power. the asian market is the biggest possible one and would help curling the most

Both have advantages, but I think more money would come from the US market.

I think a challenge in the Asian markets is that those country's governing bodies will pick their precious few and just pay them to curl 100% of the time, and will be hard to grow.

Last edited by IMWright on 04-07-17 at 08:43PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-17 08:41PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Yes there's lots of money down there but very little earmarked for curling. I'm guessing , but given that curling is a winter based sport and only the northern states enjoy our winters, the per centage of total US population would be very small. 2-5 % perhaps? Plus curling has been around for a very long time without notable growth in the US.

The US has had major growth in the number of curling clubs the past 4-8 years How is Canada doing in the number of clubs lately and growth? Oh yeah...

04-07-17 11:49PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Yes, Canada wins, just like I thought, some people want to disregard facts though, Edin really did not have much chance vs. Gushue.

04-07-17 11:52PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ

I knew you had two wrong for sure, and Norway had to steal the 11th from Germany.

Don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

Against China, Shuster shoots 100% and George shoots 91. The USA seems to have figured the ice out.

Well 1st you can't really bet on curling.

2nd, I can afford to lose.

China like I said before have been so unpredictable, the game with the US was tough to pick.

So what if Norway had to, they still won, it doesn't matter how.

04-07-17 11:55PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

whatever you say. im pretty much done with you on this prediction thing

you might have a point about walstad. but i still think dunstone is better. dunstone, at the age of 21 is only 1 spot below walstad. at that age walstad was not anywhere near as good

i actually heard vic say walstad's age when they were giving one of their updates on TSN. now, i couldnt remember what he said. so i went to the world curling federation website and they have him born in 1989, which means he's 28. one year older than de cruz

and he's not all that new. he's competed since 2008

Of course you are done, because you aren't very good at it.

04-08-17 12:01AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
I've talked to Tyler and he didn't realize he did it until after the game when it was pointed out to him. He feels bad about it, and did make a heartfelt apology on twitter.

Heh...
How long has Tyler been curling? Must be only a year or two to honestly not realize something so blatant.

Rules like this get ingrained into the subconscious after a certain period of time - to the point that it is second nature. I can guarantee that he has played far more games than I have in my 10 years of club curling, and I've never once swept an opposition rock above the t-line.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-08-17 12:05AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: USA/Netherlands

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

I call BS on that. It can happen to more than just 2nd year curlers. One gets excited, and they start a bit early, people either catch it and stop and say "oh crap, sorry", and 99% of the time it would not have changed the outcome and stones aren't moved. You don't hear about it happening because it's not a big deal, people move on and forget about it.

And people sweeping early happens at the elite level.

If it 'would not change the outcome' 99% of the time, then people would sweep rocks in the House only 1% of the time.
So you're wrong on that.

Sweeping an opposition rock above the t-line is a rookie mistake. Rookies can legitimately say that it's a mistake, as they are new to the game, unfamiliar with the rules, etc.
For an elite level player who has played thousands of games, it is inexcusable.

And when your team was involved in a major controversy revolving around sportsmanship and fair play in the same huge tournament the year previous, one would think that everyone on the team would be extra careful to be good sportsmen and play within the rules this year.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-08-17 at 12:50AM

04-08-17 12:05AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

the south korean men have never done anything of note at worlds.this is the first time there for the dutch, its to soon to say this is how they will always do. ill give you they are stronger than the germans and the russians but its debatable about the italians.

you are going to need to see more than just yusuke morozumi for japan doing well on the mens side for the asian teams beofre a serious argument can be made for including a 3rd asian team. you look at the results south korea has had and we arent missing a medal contending team here.

as a whole 99% of the asian mens team good results come from morozumi. no mens team has ever medaled either. on the day the mens teams actually start winning medals then we can have a serious discussion on this.

for now most of their best results and all of their medals come from the women and most of those come from just one team. bingyu wang

Neither have the other Euro teams done anything at the Worlds.

We aren't talking about medal contenders, we are talking about total spots, so because the Dutch, Germans, Italians and Russians are not medal contenders they should not be at the Worlds too, nice try, don't even start and try to say the Dutch will be medal contenders, they weren't even in the top Euro division and had to play a challenge vs. Austria to get in, the Korean team is ranked higher than the Euro teams I mention, but you of course think it's meaningless and it does not matter, which of course it does.

99% of Asia's good men's results come from Japan, what a joke, the Chinese team is better.

Wang has not been that good for many years now, there is 1 Japanese team and 1 Korean who are ranked ahead of her now.

04-08-17 12:09AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

yeah, i know but compare the 2

decruz has been superb, representing switzerland 5 times and medaling 5 times.

michel has represented switzerland in full team sport as skip 7 times and medaled twice. yes once was gold but most of his appearances as skip he finished either below or just at 500. he also has the worst ever performance for switzerland at an olympics.

to me decruz has far greater potential and i can see him winning a world championship at some point. michel ..i just dont see him winning aa worlds. he did well to win that euros but that i dont think he'll be winning much if anything else. i think he'll have a hard time getting out of switzerland anymore anyway with decruz, pfister and shwaller around.

De Cruz has been superb has he, well then why is this only his 2nd time at the Worlds, he's not been as good as you say.

04-08-17 12:11AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Curlrock
Gerry, please don't post things like that. It makes it difficult to say negative things about people we don't know.

Interesting how the United States was hardly mentioned in this thread for the fist 9 pages as being a contender. Now that they've won some games and made the playoffs they're, poor sports, cheaters, and probably not liked very much by other teams.

Amazing how a few wins can upset the natives.

My mention of the very questionable behaviour of the U.S. team has absolutely nothing to do with their won-lost record. I would post the same if they were 0-11 and/or if any other team (including Canada) had performed questionable actions two years in a row.
Honestly, Shuster is the kind of guy I normally like and cheer for - he seems like just a regular, unassuming guy - kind of like Fred Flintstone... But with his behaviour last year, I lost respect for him.

It's quite cheap to claim that people are upset only because the U.S. are winning. I think it's safe to say that people are upset because, for the second World Championships in succession, the same U.S. team has performed a very questionable action, which people - correctly - relate to poor sportsmanship in a sport which prides itself on its sportsmanship, respect, and fair play.

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-08-17 at 01:34AM

04-08-17 12:31AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Here were my picks for the last 3 draws of RR: Swiss, US, Canada, Germany. Sweden, Swiss, Scotland, Norway. Japan, Sweden, Canada, Scotland.

A bit of a surprise the US beat Sweden, the US have maybe gotten better, but Sweden were maybe due for a loss too. China beating the Swiss was a bit surprising too, but maybe Swiss were due a loss. Japan losing to China was not a surprise, tough game to call.

04-08-17 06:22AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

Well 1st you can't really bet on curling.

2nd, I can afford to lose.

end quote

Actually you can bet on curling- lots of online betting sites offer odds and will be glad to take your $.

04-08-17 08:05AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

Neither have the other Euro teams done anything at the Worlds.

We aren't talking about medal contenders, we are talking about total spots, so because the Dutch, Germans, Italians and Russians are not medal contenders they should not be at the Worlds too, nice try, don't even start and try to say the Dutch will be medal contenders, they weren't even in the top Euro division and had to play a challenge vs. Austria to get in, the Korean team is ranked higher than the Euro teams I mention, but you of course think it's meaningless and it does not matter, which of course it does.

99% of Asia's good men's results come from Japan, what a joke, the Chinese team is better.

Wang has not been that good for many years now, there is 1 Japanese team and 1 Korean who are ranked ahead of her now.

world curling tour ranking has NOTHING to do with world championships. get that through your fat head. it has no bearing on what happens at worlds or what teams get there nor does it have any impact on how teams will do. why is that so hard to understand

why is it also hard for you to grasp that for the asian teams to get a 3rd spot were going to actually need to see them start winning medals or making playoffs. im not arguing that there arent weak european countries that maybe shouldnt be there but the asian teams are not making a strong case for having a 3rd team there either. the good results come from china and japan but what have the south korean men ever done to make people think that they deserve to be there any more than the netherlands or russia. and dont give me some bull**** answer about how they are ranked higher and win more money on tour because that doesnt matter here.

liu and morozumi are pretty close . i dont give either one the edge either way. yes they have both had good results at worlds but thats 2 countries. china and japan have proven at world level they deserve their spot. what has south korea ever done at a world championship to make a strong argument for asia having and deserving a 3rd team at a mens world championship

im aware of wang's ranking, im also aware she also took a few years off. and its still not a debate that she has done the best for asia. are you honstly gonna try and tell me there's an asian team with better accomplishments then her?. not one asian team has managed to step up and fill the void and become a consistent threat at major events. most of the womens notable results at worlds can still be attributed to her

04-08-17 08:06AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Of course you are done, because you aren't very good at it.

i didnt say i was done making predictions, i find doing them fun. i honestly dont care about my success rate

04-08-17 08:09AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

De Cruz has been superb has he, well then why is this only his 2nd time at the Worlds, he's not been as good as you say.

oh my gosh, you really are going back and looking for really any reason to nit pick arent you.

i said he has been superb for switzerland when he represents them

2 appearances at world juniors and he got silver and gold

2 appearances at european championships and he has a silver and bronze

2 appearances at worlds and he has so far 1 bronze and this year lowest is 4th

so 6 appearances for switzerland and his worst appearances would be a 4th place. thats a very good record of appearances

Last edited by misty1 on 04-08-17 at 08:22AM

04-08-17 08:26AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

oh my gosh, you really are going back and looking for really any reason to nit pick arent you.

i said he has been superb for switzerland when he represents them

2 appearances at world juniors and he got silver and gold

2 appearances at european championships and he has a silver and bronze

2 appearances at worlds and he has so far 1 bronze and this year lowest is 4th

so 5 appearances for switzerland and his worst appearances would be a 4th place. thats a very good record of appearances

Oh and why is this only his 2nd time at the Worlds, oh yeah, that's right, it's because that team you claim isn't that good, Michel, beat them and the last time De Cruz was here it was only because Michel went to the Olympics, so this is only the 1st time ever De Cruz actually qualified and only because Michel didn't really play this year, but hey, your thing is to disregard facts.

04-08-17 08:36AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

world curling tour ranking has NOTHING to do with world championships. get that through your fat head. it has no bearing on what happens at worlds or what teams get there nor does it have any impact on how teams will do. why is that so hard to understand

why is it also hard for you to grasp that for the asian teams to get a 3rd spot were going to actually need to see them start winning medals or making playoffs. im not arguing that there arent weak european countries that maybe shouldnt be there but the asian teams are not making a strong case for having a 3rd team there either. the good results come from china and japan but what have the south korean men ever done to make people think that they deserve to be there any more than the netherlands or russia. and dont give me some bull**** answer about how they are ranked higher and win more money on tour because that doesnt matter here.

liu and morozumi are pretty close . i dont give either one the edge either way. yes they have both had good results at worlds but thats 2 countries. china and japan have proven at world level they deserve their spot. what has south korea ever done at a world championship to make a strong argument for asia having and deserving a 3rd team at a mens world championship

im aware of wang's ranking, im also aware she also took a few years off. and its still not a debate that she has done the best for asia. are you honstly gonna try and tell me there's an asian team with better accomplishments then her?. not one asian team has managed to step up and fill the void and become a consistent threat at major events. most of the womens notable results at worlds can still be attributed to her

Are you sure the rankings mean nothing, are you sure you want to say that, because by your logic it means that Italy, Germany, the Dutch and Russia are medal contenders and Canada and Sweden and the Swiss are just as good as those teams.

Where exactly does it say that the Asian nations have to start winning medals to get more spots, cause I mean Canada wins all the time, but does Mexico or other Americas get a spot, no, I mean Brazil has a team, but they don't get a spot, shouldn't they get one even though they are so bad just cause Canada wins medals, cause you know, the rankings don't matter, even though they do, seriously, what kind of logic are you on.

Wang had one or 2 good events a very long time ago, her record is ancient history now, it's about how they are doing now, not like a decade ago, Wang just had a horrible Worlds getting only 2 wins, you seriously can't tell me she's the best team in Asia now.

Last edited by Stoner on 04-08-17 at 08:46AM

04-08-17 08:45AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

My pick for today's game, the Swiss will win.

04-08-17 09:25AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Out of the 3 teams competing for a finals berth vs. Brad the Conqueror I'd rate their chances as follows:

- Edin, minimum 50%, more like 55%
- Shuster, 27%
- De Cruz, 18%

I'm putting the feisty Americanos in the middle, even though they don't have the international heft of deCruz - just that when it comes to international competitions American pride can turn the meekest American athlete into veritable "Raving Serial Killers". Shuster and Co. are already feisty - wait til they smell swiss or Swedish blood in the water.

That said, Edin is just superior to either in almost all ways. Perhaps not quite at the levels of boisterousness the americans have that one all too themselves.

If the form chart holds - and it usually does at this level we should be seeing a 3rd game for gold between Canada & Sweden. If Nik can get his strategy tightened up and both Nik & Oskar deliver A to A+ performances - I suspect the golden game could easily come down to final hammer - or even extra ends.

Here's how it will happen, Swiss will beat US, Sweden will beat Swiss, US 4th, Swiss Bronze, Sweden Silver and Canada Gold.

04-08-17 12:39PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Curlrock
Gerry, please don't post things like that. It makes it difficult to say negative things about people we don't know.

Interesting how the United States was hardly mentioned in this thread for the fist 9 pages as being a contender. Now that they've won some games and made the playoffs they're, poor sports, cheaters, and probably not liked very much by other teams.

Amazing how a few wins can upset the natives.

Hardly mentioned until they had a second controversy. These are not general negative comments based on bias, but are based on unsportsmanlike behaviour that was witnessed and even admitted to by the player himself. Under these circumstances they are fair comment. There is a lot more negative and unfair comments throughout this forum and it is allowed, and not defended by the site as was in this case.

If Team USA plays fairly, and do well, then kudos to them. They will have earned the win. But this little incident leaves a bad taste. None of the other 3 are in the final 4 with any controversy hanging over them. 2 years in a row.

04-08-17 12:50PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

My mention of the very questionable behaviour of the U.S. team has absolutely nothing to do with their won-lost record. I would post the same if they were 0-11 and/or if any other team (including Canada) had performed questionable actions two years in a row.
Honestly, Shuster is the kind of guy I normally like and cheer for - he seems like just a regular, unassuming guy - kind of like Fred Flintstone... But with his behaviour last year, I lost respect for him.

It's quite cheap to claim that people are upset only because the U.S. are winning. I think it's safe to say that people are upset because, for the second World Championships in succession, the same U.S. team has performed a very questionable action, which people - correctly - relate to poor sportsmanship in a sport which prides itself on its sportsmanship, respect, and fair play.

Well said. This forum is full of strong opinions, often based on emotion. Often not on fact. All these men are good guys. But even good guys make mistakes. To call them on those mistakes and ask them to play fairly is not wrong. It's refreshing to see a debate honouring honesty and integrity.

04-08-17 02:23PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Wonder if all these folks upset about team USA were, or would have been, equally upset when Meleschuk stole the World Championship for Canada against USA's Labonte team. Canada's last rock had come to rest and it was clear from the cameras that it was not shot so the game was over. After Labonte slipped and kicked the rock inward, Canada could have done what all these posters think is the right thing -- admit that USA had won. Did not happen though. Where is your outrage? The rest of the world has a long way to go to top the those Canadians "questionable behavior" in respecting the game and its rules.

04-08-17 02:46PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

In the Labonte case they followed the rules, plain and simple. Labonte lost the game in the extra end when he gassed his last rock. Rule 11 c is pretty clear about that and no camera angle was definitive.

your example is really dumb since the Canadian Team did exactly what we are asking, they followed the rulebook and the applied the rule accordingly.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 04-08-17 at 03:35PM

04-08-17 03:17PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Wonder if all these folks upset about team USA were, or would have been, equally upset when Meleschuk stole the World Championship for Canada against USA's Labonte team. Canada's last rock had come to rest and it was clear from the cameras that it was not shot so the game was over. After Labonte slipped and kicked the rock inward, Canada could have done what all these posters think is the right thing -- admit that USA had won. Did not happen though. Where is your outrage? The rest of the world has a long way to go to top the those Canadians "questionable behavior" in respecting the game and its rules.

Do you mean another American team that broke the rules by moving a stationary stone

04-08-17 03:18PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

It was 45 years ago. Get over it.