Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-25-17 10:44PM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Like I said, when Emma curls well, Rachel is lights out in the vast majority of games. Emma was in her groove tonight. Case closed.

Liked the fact the team reverted to old strategy --- blanking the first end. Should strive for forced blank tomorrow night.

That said, if Kate Cameron is awesome again, it will be a hell of a game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-25-17 11:22PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Is Team Homan too aggressive?

No. Their strategy is consistent with the best men's teams. Aka. The best curling strategy yet developed.

Is Team Homan the most relaxed team out there?

No. That said they have worked hard at improving that element of their game and have succeeded. In the men's games you have teams like Team Jacobs and teams like Team Howard. As any sports psychologist will tell you, not everyone is the same or achieves peak performance the same way.

Does Team Homan get rattled in high pressure moments?

No. Their record bears out that to date at least they are winning at a higher percentage rate than any other woman's team in history.

As far as tomorrow's final goes. What could be better? The best teams all week are meeting in the final.

Here's to hoping there are no four enders and it comes down to a pressure shot in the extra.

02-27-17 12:06AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well that was one for the scrapbook for sure. A classic across the house double for three. Two ice in her veins draws by Englot to steal her way back into the game. All the players shooting the lights out. The best skinny double since Al Hackner to put us into an extra.

And then an extra end finish that beautifully illustrated the different styles in curling and between these skips. Englot makes another perfect draw to the four foot buried, Homan makes a run-back for the win.

Hard to imagine how it gets any better than that from both a player's and a fan's perspective.

Gotta feel for team Englot who beat team Homan two out of three and only lost two games all week. She and her vice played at a level that is as good as it gets in curling. There is no team in women's curling better at protecting a lead but team Englot fought their way back in with a level of shot-making that was pure pleasure to watch.

The world of sport is overly fond of cliches and platitudes, nonetheless it was a contest where both teams deserved to win. One would have to be inhuman not to hope to see team Englot get back there next year and win the whole thing.

Team Homan showed their usual level of brilliance in terms of their shot-making and perhaps an even greater level of poise when facing adversity. The depth of relief that showed on Rachel's face when she made that double in ten, and the tears on the face of Joann and Emma after the game tells you how deeply they love and are committed to the game.

So now it's off to the World's where Canada hasn't won since 2008, and the field is every bit as strong as it has ever been.

Muirhead who has beaten team Homan more than once. Anna Hasselborg will be there who beat Rachel in the 2010 World Junior finals. Alina Patz, who is to my mind one of the best strategists in the game. Russia, Korea, and China all have solid teams. Here's to hoping the ice conditions in Beijing let them all show off their skills because as we saw this week when the ice is good the women's game is a sight to see.

Last edited by JB42 on 02-27-17 at 12:11AM

02-27-17 12:25AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Rachel made three amazing shots tonight:

1. The double for 3 in End 2. She probably shouldn't have attempted that shot, but her audacity paid off.
2. The double in End 10 to save the game. Great pressure shot.
3. The freeze for the steal in End 9. I think this was her best shot of the night, and it's probably the one that will be forgotten.

She has become a world class shotmaker, which wasn't really how I would have categorized her when she won her first two Scotties titles.

02-27-17 12:53AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Good, predictable ice made shotmaking much easier today than during the week. There was none of the " what the hell happened to that shot" discussions today.
No draws 20' short, or shots that over curled 1-2 '.

02-27-17 01:59AM
JB42
Drawmaster

Top Ten shots from Rachel's 2013 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAG58YWb2Mo

In 2014 she shot 91% for the week!, without directional brushing to boot.

02-27-17 11:13AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

TODAY IS THE DAY WE WORRIED ABOUT YESTERDAY

Would somebody help me out with this?

The winner of the 'Roar' will represent Canada at the 2018

Olympics which takes place February 14 - 25. That team, for

obvious reasons, will not be able to compete for the 2018

Scotties title.

So if Homan & Co. don't win the 'Roar' they will become

'Team Canada' in the 2018 Scotties competition. Fine.

But should they win the 'Roar', who will become 'Team

Canada'? Or will there not be any 'Team Canada'?

Additionally, can anybody explain why 'Curling Canada',

knowing there would be a conflict with the Olympics, not

see fit to reschedule the Scotties for next year? It

would appear to me they do not want to have any team to

win both competitions. Why?

02-27-17 11:36AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
TODAY IS THE DAY WE WORRIED ABOUT YESTERDAY

Would somebody help me out with this?

The winner of the 'Roar' will represent Canada at the 2018

Olympics which takes place February 14 - 25. That team, for

obvious reasons, will not be able to compete for the 2018

Scotties title.

So if Homan & Co. don't win the 'Roar' they will become

'Team Canada' in the 2018 Scotties competition. Fine.

But should they win the 'Roar', who will become 'Team

Canada'? Or will there not be any 'Team Canada'?

Additionally, can anybody explain why 'Curling Canada',

knowing there would be a conflict with the Olympics, not

see fit to reschedule the Scotties for next year? It

would appear to me they do not want to have any team to

win both competitions. Why?

Scotties is from Jan 27th to Feb 4th next year in Penticton. Theoretically they could do both of they win the Roar.

02-27-17 11:36AM
JB42
Drawmaster

Well if Team Homan does win The Roar I for one suggest we start a campaign to have Team Englot take their place

For the first time "No team deserved to lose" would be true.

02-27-17 12:02PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Three

Scotties is from Jan 27th to Feb 4th next year in Penticton. Theoretically they could do both of they win the Roar.

You're correct. It is possible. I presumed, incorrectly, that

the 2018 Scotties would be held in mid to late February, the

same as this year, 2016 and 2015.

02-27-17 01:16PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

If Team Homan wins the Trials, Englot will be Team Canada at next year's Scotties. That's how it would have worked in 2014 and haven't heard anything different now.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-27-17 02:23PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
If Team Homan wins the Trials, Englot will be Team Canada at next year's Scotties. That's how it would have worked in 2014 and haven't heard anything different now.

Sure but have you heard "the same" this time around officially from Curling Canada ? In 2014 the Scottie's ended on Feb 9th and curling started the very next day in Russia. I'm not saying Team Homan would want to necessarily do a Scotties, then the Olympics, then the world's but none of the dates overlap. For Team Homan this could be right up their alley. Winning the ROTR, a scottie's, an Olympic gold and a world gold inside of four months would be a herculean feat, but I would not put it past them either. Would easily be the greatest season for a curling team ever should any team pull it off.

02-27-17 05:18PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Three

Sure but have you heard "the same" this time around officially from Curling Canada ? In 2014 the Scottie's ended on Feb 9th and curling started the very next day in Russia. I'm not saying Team Homan would want to necessarily do a Scotties, then the Olympics, then the world's but none of the dates overlap. For Team Homan this could be right up their alley. Winning the ROTR, a scottie's, an Olympic gold and a world gold inside of four months would be a herculean feat, but I would not put it past them either. Would easily be the greatest season for a curling team ever should any team pull it off.

Winning the Olympics is all about peaking at the right time. Playing the Scotties and then going directly to the Olympics would not be in their best interest if they wanted to peak at the Olympics. I am guessing but I would think the teams winning the Roar are advised by the Nationals Head Coaches what type of schedule to play leading up to the Olympics.

02-27-17 07:12PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Homan is also scheduled to play in the continental cup as is the winner of the Brier,

02-27-17 07:17PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Homan is also scheduled to play in the continental cup as is the winner of the Brier,

The Brier hasn't been played yet, but it will be quite a feat to win the SCOTTIES and the Brier all in one season!!!

02-27-17 07:49PM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido

The Brier hasn't been played yet, but it will be quite a feat to win the SCOTTIES and the Brier all in one season!!!

Hey Guido, reread the quote....it means Homan and the Brier winner play together in the2018 Continental Cup. Sadly not in Vegas but in London, ON instead. Vegas is hosting the men's world's next year instead.

02-28-17 08:53AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Curlers just don't fly to the Olympics the day before and start curling the following morning.

The Olympics are in Korea, a good 12 - 15 hour flight. For Sochi, the curlers spent about a week in Switzerland before trekking to Russia. I am sure there is a similar plan in place for Korea.

Should Homan win the trials, then no doubt Englot will get the team Canada nod.

Sandra Schmirler won the Olympic gold then flew back for the Scotties...their team didn't do very well that year. They all admitted they were exhausted.

02-28-17 03:07PM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Curlers just don't fly to the Olympics the day before and start curling the following morning.

The Olympics are in Korea, a good 12 - 15 hour flight. For Sochi, the curlers spent about a week in Switzerland before trekking to Russia. I am sure there is a similar plan in place for Korea.

Should Homan win the trials, then no doubt Englot will get the team Canada nod.

Sandra Schmirler won the Olympic gold then flew back for the Scotties...their team didn't do very well that year. They all admitted they were exhausted.

I get all that. I know about travel, time zones, peaking for events, etc, etc , etc. And I'm sure Curling Canada would make them give up their Scotties spot. But I just want somebody to point me to the website that states this clearly as a rule. There are 6 or 7 days between the two events.

Also rules do change from time to time . Last time the rule was the Scottie's runner up becomes Team Canada. Well that could be the case again or not. Next year a magical 16th team will be selected to compete...let's say it's the top non-qualified points team...perhaps they will just let in two points teams instead. Team Englot was great but you really should have to earn the right to wear our Maple Leaf. They lost and second place should not get anybody an auto-berth into our National Championship.

02-28-17 08:00PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Thanks for the correction, It was either a Freudian slip or too much wine!

03-01-17 02:03AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Rachel made three amazing shots tonight:

1. The double for 3 in End 2. She probably shouldn't have attempted that shot, but her audacity paid off.

I'll have to re-watch but in the moment I didn't mind the call. Risk reward early in the game where 1 or 2 is still a possibility if she doesn't get 3 (at least how I recall) and even going down 2 with 8 ends to go is not a large obstacle.

I'll try to do a Curl With Math write up by the weekend and take a look.

The port attempt in 7 may have been too risky, but again I'll have to rewatch.