Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-17 10:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

It is Year To Date top 25. Brownie was 26th and Face was 31st. True for Roth, but their points lead makes it superfluous.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-12-17 03:34AM
curlinghoot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinghoot Click here to Send curlinghoot a Private Message Find more posts by curlinghoot Add curlinghoot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinghoot
Knee-Slider

You have to wonder why any team invited to the Grand Slams would go in the future (I think the HPP makes these decisions for those teams and getting invited to a Grand Slam is an "honor")if you are trying to earn points for Nationals.

Shuster went to 3 or 4 because his ranking on the 2 year OOM was high enough to qualify them. In all but the last one he would have been one of the lowest seeds. Not surprising he doesn't win many games because after all you are ranked LOWER than all the other teams. You get no points. The other US teams are busy competing at bonspiels where they rank relatively high and earn points.

Your team challenges itself against "the best" and what happens you won't be selected for Worlds even if you win Nationals because you don't have enough points. Yikes!

This is just one of many crazy ways the current system does not achieve what it intended.

02-12-17 04:32AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Correct, Roth goes to Worlds if she wins. "Make final..." means she only has to make the final to ensure she will have more points than anyone else.

02-12-17 09:46AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow, mccormick got smoked by birr in draw 1. didnt see that coming

02-12-17 11:15AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I understand that the OOM is all the USCA has to determine a "Best over the Season" to represent us at Worlds...(this assumes you buy the argument that is necessary vs just crowning a National Champion at NAtionals....which I don't...but for the purpose of argument, that ship has already sailed, struck an iceberg, sunk, and launched an Academy Award Winning movie...)

But we really need something else.

As curlinghoot mentioned, and tuck has chimed in on occasion, and others have noted...the way OOM works doesn't actually reward the best US team at curling, it rewards the best scheduled team.

It's worth more to go 3-2 at the Moosejaw Invitational than it is to go 5-0 at any other events, and that's just not right.

People equate it to NASCAR awarding points season long...here's the rub...in NASCAR, all the cars are on the same tracks at the same time, so it's an apples to apples comparison.

In Curling, that is hardly the case...your status is too heavily dependent now on what events you choose to go to versus how you actually do *at* those events.

It's gotta change.

02-12-17 12:05PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
wow, mccormick got smoked by birr in draw 1. didnt see that coming

McCormick was sitting 3 in the first with 3 stones left and gave up two.

In the second he was sitting 2 with the hammer and skip stones left and gave up 4.

Birr made his shots, McCormick jammed a raise take in the first and came up short of the house twice in the 2nd.

First game issues, he'll be fine.

02-12-17 02:45PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Boo Boo thumping Heater isn't that big of a surprise for 3 reasons:

1. Boo Boo has defeated Heater this year. Once that I remember for certain...maybe twice...I'd look it up but I'm going to play some poker this afternoon.

2. Heater has dropped some "bad beat" inexplicable losses in about 60% of his weekends with this lineup. They just sleep through a game here and there. They dropped a game to Russia in Harbin when Russia wasn't playing well at all. They dropped a game to Krell up in Canada (Krell is actually pretty good...but not that weekend). They dropped a game to McBride at Mesabi (something that team will long remember...when they tell the story, they may elect to leave out that Plys wasn't there and Phill D. was subbing in...for the last time ever). They dropped a game to Clawson in Duluth before we all discovered that Clawson can beat some Men's teams (something we should have learned after the Florida Nationals)

3. Tuck told you early in this thread that the field was pretty even with many teams having a legit shot (including Boo Boo Birr). This Tuck guy seems to know some things...not everything...but some things. I think we should listen to him.

More important in the standings will be Fenson's loss to Leichter. Of the teams with Points (Brownie, Boo Boo, Heater, Face and Brady), I could see maybe 2 missing the playoffs...maybe. That only leaves one spot open for the other 5 teams who don't have many points (just using Points as a replacement for Seeding). I see no likely scenario where both Fenson and Leichter make the playoffs, so that game was big.

I think it's much bigger than Boo Boo "upsetting" Heater...which isn't really that much of an upset...except for the lopsided scoreboard...so lopsided that it probably fell over.

Ben Tucker

02-12-17 03:17PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Boo Boo thumping Heater isn't that big of a surprise for 3 reasons:

1. Boo Boo has defeated Heater this year. Once that I remember for certain...maybe twice...I'd look it up but I'm going to play some poker this afternoon.

2. Heater has dropped some "bad beat" inexplicable losses in about 60% of his weekends with this lineup. They just sleep through a game here and there. They dropped a game to Russia in Harbin when Russia wasn't playing well at all. They dropped a game to Krell up in Canada (Krell is actually pretty good...but not that weekend). They dropped a game to McBride at Mesabi (something that team will long remember...when they tell the story, they may elect to leave out that Plys wasn't there and Phill D. was subbing in...for the last time ever). They dropped a game to Clawson in Duluth before we all discovered that Clawson can beat some Men's teams (something we should have learned after the Florida Nationals)

3. Tuck told you early in this thread that the field was pretty even with many teams having a legit shot (including Boo Boo Birr). This Tuck guy seems to know some things...not everything...but some things. I think we should listen to him.

More important in the standings will be Fenson's loss to Leichter. Of the teams with Points (Brownie, Boo Boo, Heater, Face and Brady), I could see maybe 2 missing the playoffs...maybe. That only leaves one spot open for the other 5 teams who don't have many points (just using Points as a replacement for Seeding). I see no likely scenario where both Fenson and Leichter make the playoffs, so that game was big.

I think it's much bigger than Boo Boo "upsetting" Heater...which isn't really that much of an upset...except for the lopsided scoreboard...so lopsided that it probably fell over.

Ben Tucker

its not so much that they lost to birr but how they lost. but TJNCJ said they were struggling with the ice a bit so i guess that explains the scoreline anyway.

02-13-17 07:14AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow McCormick loses again. It's looking entirely possible McCormick finishes outside the top 3

If that's the case who goes to worlds? I'm guessing either brown or shuster if either one win

02-13-17 02:04PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
It's worth more to go 3-2 at the Moosejaw Invitational than it is to go 5-0 at any other events, and that's just not right.

Please explain this logic to me. Are you saying that a 5-0 record versus inferior talent is better than a 3-2 record versus superior talent?

02-13-17 03:06PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Please explain this logic to me. Are you saying that a 5-0 record versus inferior talent is better than a 3-2 record versus superior talent?

Shuster goes 3-3 in a tough Canad Men's and gets 4.3 points, McCormick goes 3-2 and makes the QF's of the Wrench Classic and gets 17.4 points.

McCormick wins the The Coors and St. Paul's and takes home 23.5 points for each going 6-1.

Pays more to win at a lighter spiel than gain valuable experience in Canada.

02-13-17 07:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

mccormick 1-3 and in serious trouble early of missing playoffs. surprising

02-13-17 08:07PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
mccormick 1-3 and in serious trouble early of missing playoffs. surprising

I think McCormick's been a bit hot and cold. Either completely on or completely off. And the events he won were not against a particularly difficult field. In events with tough fields McCormick has bowed out early, one I think was 0-3.

02-13-17 08:38PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

I"m saying the formula for OOM points says so, yeah.

02-14-17 12:17AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Looks like there are more people watching on webcast than in the arena. Not counting family members, is anybody going to arena to watch the championship?

02-14-17 04:30AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

I'll be there for the morning game on Wednesday. Looks like I'll have a choice of any seat in the arena.

02-14-17 08:40AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Who is Becca Wood? That poor team has had some pretty lopsided scores!

02-14-17 08:51AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Which is more surprising; Heater's slow start in Men's or Cassie's fast start in Women's?

Both are surprising, but Cassie's start surprises me a touch more. She is a great curler, but they haven't shown much all year. A nice runner-up finish at Mesabi and a couple of quality wins at the US Open, so I guess they are coming in to Nationals playing well.

Ben Tucker

02-14-17 09:20AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Which is more surprising; Heater's slow start in Men's or Cassie's fast start in Women's?

Both are surprising, but Cassie's start surprises me a touch more. She is a great curler, but they haven't shown much all year. A nice runner-up finish at Mesabi and a couple of quality wins at the US Open, so I guess they are coming in to Nationals playing well.

Ben Tucker

for me its definitely mccormick's slow start. IMWright is correct in pointing out that the events they won had weaker fields . still i didnt see this coming. the question is if they can mount a comeback and make the playoffs. on paper they should be favored in all of their remaining matches which, if they win would finish at 6-3

however clark is playing well, clawson is dangerous and fenson is so experienced and still pretty good.

if this team finishes outside the playoffs i wouldnt be surprised to see changes made.

but at this point if mccormick misses playoffs its down to shuster and brown correct? what happens if shuster v.s brown is the final would the winner go to worlds?

02-14-17 09:22AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

I'm not saying the current system is correct or works in the overall sense, but are you sure it's not working as the HPP intended?

Looking at the top five US YTD OOM teams (McCormick, Brown, Shuster, Clark and Birr), there were seven events where at least four of them entered. Four events had four teams and three events had all five teams. Those seven events make up 60% of the events the five teams entered, so it's a decent apples-to-apples comparison. Comparing their results in those seven events (ranking them 1 for most OOM points earned, 4 or 5 for least points earned) and then summarizing their performances gives some interesting results:

Team (common events) - Highest, lowest and average rank (points earned)
McCormick (7) - 1 (32.8), 2 (2.8), 1.1 (23.2)
Brown (6) - 1 (18.5), 3 (2.8), 2.2 (14.0)
Shuster (5) - 1 (24.6), 5 (1.8), 2.8 (12.1)
Birr (6) - 1 (19.9), 5 (1.0), 2.8 (9.5)
Clark (7) - 2 (10.1), 4 (0.7), 3.7 (4.1)

It's pretty clear that McCormick had the best results in common events, and, with the exception of Birr and Clark, the results ape the YTD OOM rankings. The Birr and Clark difference can be attributed to Clark playing in 12 events (to 8 for Birr), and two of those being Tier 2 events where he got 20+ points in each.

If anything, the non-common events helped Brown, Shuster and Clark close the YTD OOM gap on McCormick.

Team (total events played) - Top 3 points
McCormick (10) - 11.6, 3.1 & 3.0
Brown (11) - 28.7, 11.7 & 8.4
Shuster (11) - 35.1, 8.4 & 6.8
Clark (12) - 20.6, 20.3, 11.7
Birr (8) - 11.7 & 3.0 (only two non-common events)

So it appears that what events you enter doesn't matter as much as winning in those events.

02-14-17 09:25AM
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

If McCormick doesn't finish third or higher, then Brown, Shuster and Clark all control their own fate: Win and go to Worlds.

Birr could win and not go to Worlds, if Brown or Shuster also makes the final.

Even if they win, it is not likely that Fenson, Clawson, Dropkin, Leichter or Sobring will go to Worlds.

Last edited by MCC_PE on 02-14-17 at 09:55AM

02-14-17 12:15PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

There was a time when USCA said championship had to use Page playoff so teams get used to the pressure that playoff brought at worlds. Then USCA said championships should be played in an arena to get used to venue used at worlds. And then USCA said teams had to finish not lower than 3rd place at championship to get used to.... oh never mmind.

02-14-17 12:32PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Looks like there are more people watching on webcast than in the arena. Not counting family members, is anybody going to arena to watch the championship?

I have the livestream on in the background right now, and I just caught a wide shot of the arena. I counted about a dozen people in the stands - no exaggeration.

02-14-17 01:21PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I have the livestream on in the background right now, and I just caught a wide shot of the arena. I counted about a dozen people in the stands - no exaggeration.

Well it is the middle of a Tuesday. More people will watch the stream at work than skip work to go to the event.

02-14-17 04:22PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Who is Becca Wood? That poor team has had some pretty lopsided scores!

They've now lost 12-1, 10-0, 14-5 and 15-0.
I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but how did this team qualify for the Championship?