Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-04-17 01:30PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fanofcurling
This is completely messed up. After a two pool round robin with five games in each pool, they have eliminated ONE team out of TWELVE and we have SEVEN teams with losing records playing for a quarter final berth...

Absolutely ridiculous to have 6 teams out of 12 qualify for playoffs.. and now that is 11 teams out of 12. Especially makes no sense when USCA has discretionary picks for Olympic trials so if the wrong teams win here the USCA can pick their favorites.

Next stop - discretionary pick of USA rep in world events?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-17 02:25PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Oops, didn't realize they were taking 6 to the playoffs. I'm looking at the bracket posted on CZ and still don't understand how they determine 5th place. Also, is that bracket correct? If you lose the quarter you move on to the 3-4 game, but if you win the quarter and lose the semi you're out?

03-04-17 02:29PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Ok, that bracket doesn't agree with the USCA site. What's listed as the 3-4 game on CZ is actually the game for 5th place, and the all important trials berth.

03-04-17 04:55PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Absolutely ridiculous to have 6 teams out of 12 qualify for playoffs.. and now that is 11 teams out of 12. Especially makes no sense when USCA has discretionary picks for Olympic trials so if the wrong teams win here the USCA can pick their favorites.

Next stop - discretionary pick of USA rep in world events?

Hang on dbsdbs, HALF of this field was "discretionary" picks! Well, kinda... Six of the teams had players that were involved in the "Curling Night in America" so Derek just gave them spots at Nationals without qualifying.

Of those six teams, three of the four teams eliminated thus far are from that group of six teams.

People can think what they want....

Last edited by fanofcurling on 03-04-17 at 04:57PM

03-04-17 06:20PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

The bracket is now fixed. In our system we can add labels to the winners (ie, 5th Place) but this bracket had not been updated to show that.

The QF losers advance to the extra game to play for 5th place.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-04-17 06:25PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Hang on dbsdbs, HALF of this field was "discretionary" picks! Well, kinda... Six of the teams had players that were involved in the "Curling Night in America" so Derek just gave them spots at Nationals without qualifying.

Of those six teams, three of the four teams eliminated thus far are from that group of six teams.

That seems like a function of just scheduling too many events.

03-04-17 07:59PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

Hang on dbsdbs, HALF of this field was "discretionary" picks!

My point exactly

03-04-17 09:22PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

I still think things were scheduled as such to justify the "discretionary picks", and so the HPP people could be selected and not have to do any qualification. Seems too convenient. Easy way to get "your people" in...

03-04-17 11:41PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Well I got 4 of my 5 to the playoffs and three in the semi's. I'm pretty sure I am beating Tuck comfortably so maybe his head will fit in the tractor cab by planting time.

Tried to watch the stream but the Brier takes precedence.

03-05-17 10:12AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

I still think things were scheduled as such to justify the "discretionary picks", and so the HPP people could be selected and not have to do any qualification. Seems too convenient. Easy way to get "your people" in...

I see some of the more general complaints about the HPP. I really don't see it here. Do we really want to take players away from good events that will keep them sharp so they can play in a mixed doubles qualifier? I might actually argue that Bear and Clawson should've played somewhere other than the qualifiers.

Anything can and does happen in mixed doubles, so I could see the argument that on any given day, a pair that finished 2-3 in the qualifier could have done better than Geving/Plys here. But you have to draw the line somewhere, right?

Now, maybe the HPP should be prioritizing doubles, figuring the USA has a better chance of medaling in that. So then how would you set this up? More doubles competitions at the expense of the traditional game?

03-05-17 11:29AM
Grat
Hitting Paint

Re: 2017 Mixed Doubles National

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

Monica Walker/Jason Smith Smitty won this last year, but Joe Cool went to Worlds. I forget why.

It was Smitty with Jess Schultz last year that won Nationals, but they scheduled Nationals in conflict with another event that some of the HPP athletes were at so they held a World's qualifying event that consisted of qualifiers from Nationals and discretionary picks.

03-05-17 02:20PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

The finals are on youtube right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OA8T5GXeg

Stream is pretty good quality. But only about 55 people watching so far. C'mon USA curling fans, tune in and enjoy the championship!

03-05-17 02:22PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Let's see now. Should I watch Mixed Doubles or Brier? Easy choice there. I will stick with real curling.

03-05-17 05:13PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

What?!

Self-arranged teams? Provincial playdowns? No discretionary entries? No automatic entries to junior teams? National Champion goes straight to worlds?

You call that "real curling"?

As if.

:-)

(Congrats to Matt and Becca for their win!)