Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-12-14 09:56PM
casper1014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for casper1014 Click here to Send casper1014 a Private Message Find more posts by casper1014 Add casper1014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
casper1014
Knee-Slider

Delivery Stick Rules

Stick Curling Rules

The CCA and WCF both have rules regarding stick curling in their 2014 rules and they are quite different.

The WCF says the stick curler must deliver the stone from the hack and release the stone before their foot reaches the tee line (so the stone is released around the top of the house).

The CCA says that the stick curler can start anywhere from the hack to the hog line as long as the stone is released before the hog line.

Why so different, and which is more fair?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-13-14 02:01PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I am not a stick curler but have played against several. I think the WCF rule is best by far. I think walking to hog line to release rock gives a real advantage to stick curlers, especially when throwing takeouts.

11-13-14 03:03PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

I am pleased with the fact that the stick has allowed older curlers to still enjoy the game and camaraderie.

I hate to see ''younger seniors'' use it just because it gives them an edge, throwing big weight for example.

I also like the WCT rule better. It does not allow a stick curler enough time to readjust again and again their weight and line of delivery, just as for a regular curler coming out of the hack.

11-13-14 03:48PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

As someone who actually uses a stick, there is no *real* advantage to a stick in terms of weight.

Yes, with less training, a curler can use a stick and get hella huge weight. Guess what? A slide delivery can generate enough weight for 99.99% of shots necessary just as easily. And in exchange, the slider has positive control of the rock until release, as opposed to having a loose "grip" at the far end of a lever arm.

There is a shot once every 5 years or so that a club level stick curler only available weight could help with. There are 5 shots in the average game requiring the precise control that the slider has and the stick doesn't. Advantage slider.

As for rules, I honestly don't care which one ends up adopted. Hell, make me deliver with a foot still in the hack, I don't care...the trade off is that I'm less accurate and I can't curl in anything competitive...not even usca "club" play downs. Not worth paying my usca dues to be a second class citizen.

11-15-14 08:39PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

I've thrown enough with a stick to at least get a feel for it (for my own interest, not because I need to... even though a few of my teammates might suggest otherwise).

I find it's a bigger advantage for draw way if you follow the CCA rules over the WCF. I actually could get a feel for draw weight a lot more by walking out of the hack up to the hog before release. I don't think it's an advantage over sliding though, but it does make a difference.

Hit weight is about the same in my mind, unless you want to throw a 5 sec rock... then maybe.

11-16-14 06:27PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

The stick has allowed people to keep curling. Lets let them throw anyway they want, just release before the hogline. That is all.

11-23-14 05:02PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

@alanMacneil

Please go read coach Bill last blog. Exactly how I feel.

AS for feeling as a second class citizen because you are using the stick and not allowed in Club play downs, I know how you feel. I wanted to use a trampoline for the high jump event but my athletic association would not let me.

11-23-14 10:07PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

@itsjustagame I read that blog, and I agree with much of it. There are stick curlers who abuse it, I am sure. I, personally have never *witnessed* one, but I have only seen about 6-8 stick curlers in my club/the bonspiels I've gone to, so I don't pretend to have universal knowledge.

On the other hand, there's folks who don't follow the spirit of the slide delivery rules as well ("utica" style deliveries which use the wrong hack, folks who double clutch on the release, etc).

Doesn't mean that those of us who actually follow the rules and spirit should be punished.

I'm not asking for Olympic playdowns or even "Real" National playdowns...I'm asking for the frickin event which is designed and marketed as a "Celebration of *CLUB* curling", it doesn't lead to anything outside the USA, it isn't on TV, it's just a high level skill competition, which I can't be a part of, even if I wanted to be.

11-24-14 10:45AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I agree that the stick is good for curling but as far as abuse, I know a few that actually run out of the hack to the hog and deliver weights that no slider could throw up to even being dangerous.....and are very accurate with it.

I like the WCF rule but I also know a number of stick curlers that actually use a slider. They claim it gives them better feel for weight. The guy I curled with last Friday uses a stick in this manner and believes all stick throwers should have to wear a slider. I asked about balance and his reply was, "they can carry a broom in the other hand just like a slide curler". Interesting view.

11-24-14 01:10PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Perhaps there needs to be an addition to the Curling Code of Ethics connected to safety.

"I will always consider the safety of the other people on the ice."

This would cover the following situations not covered by the actual rules:

- skips and vices who prioritize sweeping behind the tee line over making sure rocks don't go onto other sheets possibly hurting people.

- people who deliver takeout weight shots that are excessive for the abilities of the people at the other end to manage the fallout.

If there is ever going to be a curling fatality it will be a stick curler throwing quadruple peel at a Senator's age bonspiel treating the people at the far end like bowling pins.

11-24-14 04:58PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
On the other hand, there's folks who don't follow the spirit of the slide delivery rules as well ("utica" style deliveries which use the wrong hack

Whoa, there, Alan. The only thing the curling rules say about the delivery is that if you are right-handed, you must deliver from the left hack, and vice-versa. You can stand on your head to deliver if you like , as long as it is from the correct hack. In the "Utica" knee slide, you must still deliver from the correct hack. What you may have noticed is that knee-sliders use the other foot to push from the hack compared to the no-lift, flat-foot delivery. The push foot is not specified in the rules.

There is nothing illegal, mean-spirited, or unethical about the Utica knee slide. Like stick curling, the knee slide has kept many players active in the game that might otherwise quit due to bad knees or backs.

Cheers.

11-24-14 05:11PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Delivery Stick Rules

quote:
Originally posted by casper1014
Stick Curling Rules

The CCA and WCF both have rules regarding stick curling in their 2014 rules and they are quite different.

The WCF says the stick curler must deliver the stone from the hack and release the stone before their foot reaches the tee line (so the stone is released around the top of the house).

The CCA says that the stick curler can start anywhere from the hack to the hog line as long as the stone is released before the hog line.

Why so different, and which is more fair?

The WCF has some sort of irrational fear about stick curlers. Since stick curlers are not allowed to play in championship events, I'm not sure what the fuss is. A stick curler might win the Hoboken Open Bonspiel? I've curled against stick curlers all over the eastern US, Canada, and in Scotland. Nice folks all. Never felt disadvantaged against them.

The WCF rules do not take into account being an actual stick curler. It is very difficult to self-monitor to release before your FEET cross the tee line (WCF rules). That would require looking at your feet, not the stone, during the delivery. (That would be akin to having a rule for normal deliveries that you must release the stone before your foot crosses the top of the house, or some other arbitrary line.) In addition, the distance is so short between the hack and tee line, that stick curlers cannot take enough steps to have a natural delivery, causing awkward and less safe deliveries.

The USCA rejected the WCF stick curling rules, and has, like the CCA, stuck with the "release before stone reaches hog line" rule. Most stick curlers take 5-7 steps to release the stone, and release well before hog line. The only "cheating" I have seen is that some stick curlers do not always hew to the rule that you must walk a straight line directly to the broom--that is, you are not allowed to walk 3 feet over then throw back around a guard.

Sure, stick curlers can throw very heavy weight if needed, but those types of shots rarely win games. Just stay safe out there, and be mindful of excessive weight.

Cheers.

11-25-14 12:09PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

Whoa, there, Alan. The only thing the curling rules say about the delivery is that if you are right-handed, you must deliver from the left hack, and vice-versa. You can stand on your head to deliver if you like , as long as it is from the correct hack. In the "Utica" knee slide, you must still deliver from the correct hack. What you may have noticed is that knee-sliders use the other foot to push from the hack compared to the no-lift, flat-foot delivery. The push foot is not specified in the rules.

There is nothing illegal, mean-spirited, or unethical about the Utica knee slide. Like stick curling, the knee slide has kept many players active in the game that might otherwise quit due to bad knees or backs.

Cheers.

I don't disagree that that's what you're "supposed" to do...however, I have seen various folks who have abused that rule, on the basis of "I'm pushing with the other foot, it's awkward if I have it in this hack".

If setting up incorrectly with a stick is "a violation of the spirit of curling", then what those folks do is every bit as bad.

Would it get called in an officiated competition? Well...to be honest, as an official, I am powerless to call it unless the opposing skip calls attention to it, so odds are that no, no it won't.

And, to be blunt as hell, it's a STUPID rule anyhow. There is no need for it, it does nothing to make the game balanced or fair or anything.

11-25-14 12:13PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

I don't disagree that that's what you're "supposed" to do...however, I have seen various folks who have abused that rule, on the basis of "I'm pushing with the other foot, it's awkward if I have it in this hack".

If setting up incorrectly with a stick is "a violation of the spirit of curling", then what those folks do is every bit as bad.

Would it get called in an officiated competition? Well...to be honest, as an official, I am powerless to call it unless the opposing skip calls attention to it, so odds are that no, no it won't.

And, to be blunt as hell, it's a STUPID rule anyhow. There is no need for it, it does nothing to make the game balanced or fair or anything.

Well, if you deliver from the wrong hack, it's just illegal. And someone should call the individual on it. It's one of the few hard and fast rules of curling.

11-25-14 07:42PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Do "Utica knee sliders" use teflon knee pad on the right knee to slide like that? or is that a stupid question lol. I'm a stick curler but would like to try it. Could someone explain in more depth.

11-26-14 01:01AM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie
Do "Utica knee sliders" use teflon knee pad on the right knee to slide like that? or is that a stupid question lol. I'm a stick curler but would like to try it. Could someone explain in more depth.

For a right hander, Teflon pad goes on right knee. Push from hack with left leg. Some flop on pad, others start with knee on ice. Stabilizer or flat broom in left hand. Balance is on Teflon pad, stabilizer/broom and trail toe.

We teach flat foot no lift delivery, knee slide, and/or stick delivery at Utica, depending on physical condition and skill/strength level for adult curlers.

Cheers.

11-26-14 06:05PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks RockDoc...I'm tempted to try it.

11-26-14 06:07PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie
Thanks RockDoc...I'm tempted to try it.

If you are in Utica, say for the Mitchell or Cobb bonspiels, I can set you up with a lesson.

Cheers.