Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-16-15 10:12AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2015 Junior Ladies

It starts tomorrow. Webstreaming available. I will be attending lots of it and doing some of the play-by-play.

The field:

HPP Team: Cory Christensen skips (although Sarah Anderson skipped and Cory shot third when they medaled in the OVJA Juniorspiel) an all star team. We don't bet on Juniors for ethical reasons, but if we did this team would be the odds on favorite at 1 to 2.

The rest of the field is not so much playing for second place; more like playing the game of Make The Playoffs And Hope The HPP Team Is Cold That Game.

Madison Bear and the younger Dubberstein paired with two very good and very nice Easties and played out of Boston this year. Very good team with some success in eastern Canada (translated to Maritimes for our northern readers). Excellent chance to make the playoffs and a decent shot at winning.

The older Dubberstein sister (ubertalented Katie Dubbs) is curling with 2 very good Alaskans (and a couple of Easties, Suslavich and McMakin). Third for very experienced skip Tina Persinger (8th Nationals appearance), Katie Dubbs tends to collect medals at these things. As talented as any team here, I don't think they're a lock making the playoffs. The team kinda imploded on the ice during the Duluth Cash and then exploded the lineup off the ice afterwards. I saw them play in Bemidji and they were not sharp. Still, talent and experience rule curling and they have tons of both.

Host state North Dakota will be represented by a strong Abi Lindgren rink. This is their fourth appearance at Nationals and they've improved each time...narrowly missing the playoffs last year in Seattle. If we bet on Junior curling and if you wanted a good longshot, this would be your team.

Duluth sends us Minnesota 1 skipped by Courtney Osbakken. They went to Seattle last year and pretty much bombed. Tough to be tough the first time you go to the Big Dance. The experience should serve them well and I suspect that they will move up.

Minnesota 2 hails from Mankato and is skipped by Melissa Runing. I fear that Mankato's compressor troubles has limited their ice time. I don't know how much they've played, but I hear they played well at State.

Massachusetts 2 is skipped by Elizabeth Cousins from the decorated Cousins family. My spies tell me to pay attention to the vice skip who is only 15. I hear she's quite incredible for a 15 year old. The entire team is young. Maybe too young yet, but one never knows. A young Stephen Dropkin once skipped an extremely young front end out of the East and they all went on to do great things.

The Schroeders out of Michigan come to Nationals for their third try. They weren't much of a factor in their previous two Nationals, but they could move up.

Also making their third appearance is the Alaskan Kaitlin Fowler rink. They were not a threat in their first two; third time the charm?

Finally we have an Illinois team skipped by Sarah Calcutt. I have absolutely no idea about this team. I look forward to watching them and will report back on what I see.

I hate to chalk out you guys, but I'm picking the favorite. Taking the three best teams and crunching them into one all star team does come with great advantages. Gimme the North Dakota team for second and the Bear rink for bronze. I know most knowledgeable people will be picking Persinger to make the playoffs, but I'm thinking Osbakken gets there instead and Runing wouldn't shock me. Hard to pick against Katie Dubbs, but I'm going to do it.

This is my 2,000 post on CurlingZone. Thank you, Gerry, for the forum. My apologies to people I've bored and to those I've unintentional slighted over the years. I do love curling and my sole goal here is to promote the discussions and the sport. I'm glad that the 2,000 post could be about bringing attention to this very young (does anybody age out?) and talented field.

Ben Tucker (Bill Morehouse was much better at this)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-16-15 10:30AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I think Abby Suslavich has left the team. I don't think she will be there. Her brother will be there on the Washington team.

The vice for the Cousins team, Elizabeth Pettee, plays at Nutmeg. Yes, she is very good.

Second for the Bear team is Allison Howell, curls at the Plainfield club, hoping she has picked up some of that Gemmell magic.

JH
old enough to remember Allison crawling around in the warm room at Plainfield

01-16-15 11:34AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Second for the Bear team is Allison Howell, curls at the Plainfield club, hoping she has picked up some of that Gemmell magic.

I suppose the "Gemmell magic" could be used just-in-case, much like a spare tire or extra batteries. But otherwise I am sure the "Howell magic" (which her mom and brother already have in spades) will do quite nicely all on its own.

nom de broom

01-16-15 02:13PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nom de broom

I suppose the "Gemmell magic" could be used just-in-case, much like a spare tire or extra batteries. But otherwise I am sure the "Howell magic" (which her mom and brother already have in spades) will do quite nicely all on its own.

nom de broom

I am glad you did not include Dad in there. I seem to remember his best curling skill is at the table after the game.

Good luck to all the Easties.

01-18-15 04:54PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Minor upset in the first draw, Cousins losing although it is a young team. Don't know the Schroeder rink at all. Tuck says it is their third kick at the can so maybe not an upset.

JH
Eastie fan club President (tm Tuck)

01-19-15 11:10PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that things are being streamed online and there's commentary, and I'm sure it's not intended, but boy, could two of the announcers be anymore condescending towards the junior curlers?!? Sheesh...

There were two other announcers earlier today that were not and that was much appreciated.

01-20-15 01:04PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Are the webstream replays available anywhere? When I click on the link on CurlingZone it just takes me to the live webstream.

01-20-15 05:02PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Any idea who else left Persinger for Wisconsin? Webcast says they are playing three for the rest of the week.

01-20-15 05:58PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't know who called the games you've watched, IMWright, but those I've seen were called by various combinations of Tuck, Mark Cheatley, and Kevin Kakela, and I've heard nothing I'd describe as condescending--not even close.

In fact, Tuck, as he always does, bends over backward to be generous to the players--even when their play is sub-par--precisely because:
* he personally knows a lot of these people and doesn't want to chew up his friends on the Internet
* he realizes the players' families are watching and don't want to see their kid chewed up on the Internet
* he appreciates that many of the players are young and/or new to competitive curling, and likely wary of getting chewed up on the Internet
* he's been there himself as a competitor on the national stage and...you get the idea

From what I've heard, Cheatley and Kak have spent more time taking the p*ss out of Tuck than any of the competitors.

So, yes, to answer your question, I think the commentators could be a *lot* more condescending.

mf

Last edited by Frykenstein on 01-20-15 at 07:18PM

01-20-15 06:15PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Any idea who else left Persinger for Wisconsin? Webcast says they are playing three for the rest of the week.

playing 3-handed for the rest of the championship? what is the story here?

01-20-15 06:40PM
Tpersinger3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tpersinger3 Click here to Send Tpersinger3 a Private Message Find more posts by Tpersinger3 Add Tpersinger3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tpersinger3
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

playing 3-handed for the rest of the championship? what is the story here?

Long story short, after many miscommunications, we filed for a ruling with the USCA to add on a new fifth (that would be able to play all of nationals). It was not considered an "extreme hardship", leaving us three handed. Becky Hill, our lead for play downs, was not able to stay all week for nationals.

01-21-15 09:10AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Tpersinger3

Long story short, after many miscommunications, we filed for a ruling with the USCA to add on a new fifth (that would be able to play all of nationals). It was not considered an "extreme hardship", leaving us three handed. Becky Hill, our lead for play downs, was not able to stay all week for nationals.

Thank you for the clarification.

I have been thinking about this situation and wonder what the overall effect is. We have all played short in league and on some teams losing my lead and having the second and vice throw three is a huge advantage. Not only because they are better curlers but having three stones really allows a curler to get a better feel for the ice, get the draw weight down.

Of course that is only one game and takes no consideration for exhaustion and the loss of a sweeper.

Big game today vs. HP team and it is webcast.

01-21-15 10:01AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Wow, Persinger threw a great hammer shot in the third. She got two on an outside hit and roll, four was a possibility, but still a great shot. A LOT of weight thrown there.

01-21-15 10:26AM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Thank you for the clarification.

I have been thinking about this situation and wonder what the overall effect is. We have all played short in league and on some teams losing my lead and having the second and vice throw three is a huge advantage. Not only because they are better curlers but having three stones really allows a curler to get a better feel for the ice, get the draw weight down.

Some clubs in Scotland will hang a point on a team playing as a threesome vs. a standard foursome due to the advantage this confers.

01-21-15 10:28AM
OHCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHCurler Click here to Send OHCurler a Private Message Find more posts by OHCurler Add OHCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Are Lank and Christensen drunk on the webcast? I kind of hope they are.

01-21-15 10:37AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Doing a Kathy Lee and Hoda imitation. A bit too giddy.

01-22-15 08:10PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Final game was big for Lindgren and Persinger. Lindgren wins and gets into the 1-2 game.

Also big games for Runing and Bear. Both win to get into a tiebreaker. Winner goes to the 3-4 game, loser gets fifth.

Tuck back on mic tonight from what I hear.

01-23-15 12:40AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Watching tiebreaker until lost picture. Can anyone describe what happened in last end? or last 3 ends?

01-23-15 08:13AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

They turn off the internet at 11:00 pm local time in ND. Those farmers have to get up early you know.

JH
(and Tuck responds in 3..2..)

01-23-15 09:46PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

USA Curling website's headlines Friday night:

Watch the 2015 Junior Nationals Live
High Performance rinks move on to finals
Friday Night is Curling Night on NBCSN beginning Jan 23
Massachusetts I girls advance to Page playoffs
Men's Playoff field set at Junior Nationals in Devils Lake (but links to "Boys playoff field" news item)

At high noon western NoDak time tomorrow, this means boys, girls and men are shootin' for gold. Given who will age out for next year, the final night for speed dating for the juniors, too. Anyone want to predict likely top junior teams for next year?

01-26-15 04:47PM
steveneger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveneger Find more posts by steveneger Add steveneger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveneger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Am I the only one who thinks a 4-player Persinger team wins it all? Shafted by the USCA.

01-26-15 05:24PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by steveneger
Am I the only one who thinks a 4-player Persinger team wins it all? Shafted by the USCA.

Not really.

Just my opinion.
JH

01-26-15 05:30PM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by steveneger

Well you probably aren't the only one, but I'd guess it's not the majority group. No offense to Team Persinger meant, as they did play pretty well.

And quit blaming the USCA you negative nancy (steveneger)! All teams meet the same requirements of signing up in November and knowing these commitments may be in their future. If you can't make it, that is not the USCA's fault.