Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 8 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-26-15 09:38AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

2015 Men's Worlds

This could be a very interesting year for Team USA. No major time zone or cultural changes.

Top 3 - Canada, Norway, Sweden - proven teams and always in the mix.

Middle of the pack - Russia, Finland, Scotland, Japan, Swiss, US, Czech Republic, China. Yes a large group that will contend for that 4th playoff spot or create massive tiebreakers.

Italy (sorry) is the only team I see that will struggle.

US has Can, Nor, Sui right off the bat. A 2-1 start is not out of the question, even 1-2 would not be a disaster.

Then Fin, Ita, Sco, Chn all winnable and would put Team Shuster right in the hunt.

Finish with Swe, Jpn, Cze, Rus. Will probably need two wins from here. Czech Republic always gets better toward the end so I see that one as the BIG game.

So predicting a 7-4 finish and a spot in the playoffs. Possibly even better if they get a hot start.

GO USA

edited to add: It would be nice to keep this thread positive and HPP-free

JHcurl
Not Tuck so probably completely wrong

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-26-15 11:30AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

No comment on HPP with me, they weren't in the program. They earned their spot, despite the hoops non-HPP teams were given.

I hope they do well. I hope the right Shuster shows up; that will be the deciding factor. Saw him play at the Continental Cup two years ago, and he played pretty well (month later at the Olympics was a different story). So if the right Shuster/team shows up, they have a shot of hitting the medal round.

03-26-15 03:24PM
deep_freeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deep_freeze Click here to Send deep_freeze a Private Message Find more posts by deep_freeze Add deep_freeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deep_freeze
Hitting Paint

Italy are a lot better than the US.

03-26-15 10:17PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Re: 2015 Men's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

Edited to add: It would be nice to keep this thread positive and HPP-free

Go USA!

03-27-15 01:37AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I really liked our Junior Girls for a medal. I like our Men's even more...mostly because of the field and also Shoostie's record vs these Euros and some of the others.

Canada sends a team that really only played 4 events this year and not all that well. They did well when it counted in the Brier, but by Canadian standards...they are a vulnerable favorite. Face has a win over them this year.

Face has a good record over Edin and pretty good over Ulsrud. Asia isn't as strong as recent years and Scotland sends a team that is not highly ranked (though highly respected). The field looks vulnerable.

I am an unabashed USA cheerleader. I seemingly always like our chances. I seemingly always say that we have a shot at the medal stand. In this case, I should phrase my thoughts hidden in some phrase like "might be best chance for gold since Summerville"...but I wont. I'll be honest and blunt.

I predict gold for the USA.

Sweden silver...Canada bronze and Scotland fourth.

Go ahead. Fire away. Gimme your best shot.

Ben Tucker

03-27-15 09:33AM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

A little known fact, but Tuck played basketball at West Virginia? You gotta love the confidence though.

03-27-15 10:56AM
bjacks217 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjacks217 Click here to Send bjacks217 a Private Message Find more posts by bjacks217 Add bjacks217 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjacks217
Harvey Hacksmasher

Good luck to John (Shuster), Tyler, Matt, and John (Landsteiner). I am excited to see them succeed at this competition. They have every opportunity to do well.

I wish Trevor would be experiencing Mens Worlds. He helped earn the OOM points that got Team Shuster to the position they were in for Nationals, and I think the exposure to the world event would help his future development.

And when can we get some decent looking uniforms for these guys?

03-27-15 02:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know tuck, a medal is possible but gold is a stretch.

i will say that of the big 3 norway is the most vulnerable to miss playoffs.

i predict bronze for the US

im not sure who the 4th team in playoffs will be . i know my 3 are sweden, canada and US. you could make cases for a lot of teams after that.

japan, china, scotland. if they manage tbeir losses early the czech republic could get in. and i think a loy of people are interested in seeing what italy does after their great run in europeans.

03-27-15 03:02PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I think the playoffs will be Canada, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Obviously Canada is fired up after their great Brier run, and they're on home ice. Not much more can be said about them that hasn't already been said.

I don't think Norway will be hurt by their reduced schedule this year. Besides their talent and experience, they've also been playing together as a team for 8 years. If they start out strong I think they'll start rolling and be tough to beat.

Sweden had a rocky start to the season, but they really seem to be clicking now. Plus they've been in Canada for weeks now, and did great at the Elite 10.

I think Shuster has an excellent chance of bringing home a medal for USA. He's no stranger to the pressure at this level, and he's coming off a strong season with something to prove.

Honestly I can't predict who will finish where. I'm really hoping Shuster can bring some hardware back home though.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-27-15 04:06PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I, too, wish Trevor was at Worlds. He seemed nothing but supportive at Nationals in Kalamazoo. While I hate messing with the lineup, even I have to concede that a highly qualified fifth at Worlds is necessary to guard against illness. So while I'd like to see Trevor, I do appreciate that we have Craig Brown there.

Ben Tucker

Last edited by tuck on 03-27-15 at 05:55PM

03-27-15 06:12PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Trevor is in Halifax as team manager, or team leader, or something to that effect. Whoever that person is that minds all the details aside from curling so the team can focus on just curling.

03-27-15 07:38PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm mildly bummed...

I'm in vegas this week on vacation and mood adjustment...so I wandered down to the sports book thinking maybe I could put a buck or two on Shuster.

You can put money on the fickin *cricket* world cup (aus over nz btw...) but you can't get a prop bet on curling.

So...next best thing...50 quatloos on Shuster to grab a medal.

03-27-15 08:02PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

I like Sweden to win gold. I think they're playing fantastic curling now, and would have just won two titles on tour in Canada had it not been for them running into the best team in the world Mike McEwen.

Canada and Norway are my picks for silver and bronze. I don't think the part time schedule will prove to be any sort of detriment to either team. Canada's got one of the best "team player" front ends, have sorted out their back end, and have a coach that knows how to manage personalities. I think I'm going to feel silly when they do win gold and prove my prediction wrong. And I'll believe that Norway is weak when I see it--I'll pencil them right into the top three in this field.

So, I can't see Shuster winning a medal... BUT I would certainly agree that if there is a year where he can break through, it's this year. We're dodging bullets with these Swiss and Scottish teams, and who knows about China? The rest of the Euros are all beatable, but I like this Japan rink this year, Morozumi has been doing a bit of traveling and has had a solid year home and away.

I'm happy with the way Shuster and his new team are playing, I think we all know what an asset Tyler George can be, and I have a good feeling this team will make life difficult for a lot of skips in this field. My head says 6-5 and they miss out, but my heart says 7-4 and they grab that last playoff spot. If this team can win one against either Canada or Norway to open this tournament, then we really can start dreaming (especially with winnable games following those).

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

03-28-15 11:30AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Nice pick for gold Tuck. I love your optimism and I like Shuster's team a lot.

So, let's say Tuck's prediction comes true and the USA wins gold. What does that say for our HP program? Do they take credit for turning down the best curler in the USA and forcing him to do it on his own? Do they welcome Face and Tyler back into their ranks with open arms? Would they join the HP?

A medal of any color SHOULD make the USCA look at their HP program very closely and make some changes. The disappointing results from the women's team in the Nationals and the worlds should have already forced those changes.

Personally I thought the number 1 HP team should have included Craig Brown and Shuster as the back end together. They are our best players and believe a formidable team together. Obviously Tyler is there with those two and I hope that this team plays to their potential in Nova Scotia.

It will be fun to follow this along and I will be cheering this team the whole way.

03-28-15 12:46PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
Trevor is in Halifax as team manager, or team leader, or something to that effect. Whoever that person is that minds all the details aside from curling so the team can focus on just curling.

Trevor will also be posting a semi-regular blog through CurlingZone as well. Looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the Worlds.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-28-15 03:13PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, biterbar biterbar biter bar...JHcurl asked nicely to refrain from HPP points and questions. It's not that you questions are negative...just the answers will be. Try to behave...for once.

Ben Tucker
I once saw biterbar cry

03-28-15 03:36PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Oops. Sorry JHCurl, won't happen again.

Tuck, there is no crying in curling!

03-28-15 03:44PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I'm mildly bummed...

I'm in vegas this week on vacation and mood adjustment...so I wandered down to the sports book thinking maybe I could put a buck or two on Shuster.

You can put money on the fickin *cricket* world cup (aus over nz btw...) but you can't get a prop bet on curling.

So...next best thing...50 quatloos on Shuster to grab a medal.

Alan,

Maybe Vegas someday...

Sports Interaction (online book) had this bet all last week. +100 wager to win it all

CAN +140
SWE +210
NOR +220
SUI +1000
SCO +1000
CHN +1000
JAP +2500
CZE +2500
RUS +2500
ITA +4000
USA +4000
FIN +4000

Tonight's game has

USA +503, CAN -1122

They don't accept USA customers Too bad, I used to have an account with them but closed it. I would jump all over that +503 tonight.

03-28-15 04:48PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by rtcurl

Alan,

Maybe Vegas someday...

Sports Interaction (online book) had this bet all last week. +100 wager to win it all

CAN +140
SWE +210
NOR +220
SUI +1000
SCO +1000
CHN +1000
JAP +2500
CZE +2500
RUS +2500
ITA +4000
USA +4000
FIN +4000

Tonight's game has

USA +503, CAN -1122

They don't accept USA customers Too bad, I used to have an account with them but closed it. I would jump all over that +503 tonight.

Yeah, those odds are worth a little action. I think Canada is a much more talented team, but I'd expect USA to be able to win at least 1 out of 6 meetings vs Canada on both teams' first draw on new ice.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

03-28-15 05:27PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: 2015 Men's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
This could be a very interesting year for Team USA. No major time zone or cultural changes.

Top 3 - Canada, Norway, Sweden - proven teams and always in the mix.

Middle of the pack - Russia, Finland, Scotland, Japan, Swiss, US, Czech Republic, China. Yes a large group that will contend for that 4th playoff spot or create massive tiebreakers.

Italy (sorry) is the only team I see that will struggle.

Meanwhile in the real world, Italy beat Scotland in the first draw, Japan beat Russia,and Sweden/Finland went down to the last rock, with Sweden needing to score 2 in 10 to win.

It would surprise me if the US did any better than 1-5 in their first 6 games.

03-28-15 06:35PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

who designed/chose the USA uniforms? Those are awful

03-28-15 07:55PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The unis may be bad but Mr. Shuster has come to play. After 4 ends it's U.S.7 (a 3 and a 4 ender), Canada 4 (a single and a 3). Defense is out the window.

03-28-15 07:57PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

credit where credit is due

What a fantastic shot for 4.

03-28-15 08:53PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Not exactly an artistic success so far but making some big shots at the right time.

03-28-15 09:12PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

... and, unfortunately, some big misses at the wrong time