Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-15 03:48PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

It is impossible to overhaul or judge progress on something that has no definition, goals, methods, or accountability. Not to mention no consistency across teams, genders, ages or performance levels. How the Jr. Men are treated is different than the women than the jr. women, than the men (presumably).

It seems like the process depends on which coach shows up at which event.

It is so easy to be a hater, to criticize the teams, players, coaches and organizations. I wish the HPP would give us something concrete to get behind and work with both as fans and as athletes. Frankly, the investment out of pocket to make it to the elite level seems hard to justify when a random individual can change your hard work into a pipe dream with a wave of their hand. Them are taters

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-15 04:25PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

...To get better, I suspect we will need a sustained level of regular training which is informed by regular performance assessment. And the coaches should be assessed as well. What are our short-term and intermediate coaching/training goals? How do we know we are making progress? (It will be too late if we measure our progress by how many medals we win in the next Olympics.) We need to measure and quantify the progress of our ...

Part of the problem is that we probably do not have enough funds to do this properly, so we are trying to do it on the cheap, and we are trying to do it with short-term payoff goals only. The long-term way to do this is to develop ...

I recall being slightly surprised the last time I read USCA, Inc. rules and procedures how the competitors and coaches, too, can blackball any official for any reason in order to keep him or her from officiating at a tournament. Meanwhile, the HP Program is virtually self-policing.

Funds for an HP Program evaluation? How about a free Survey Monkey Q&A sent to all registered national level competitors once a year? Have the questions written by curlers who aren't USCA, Inc staffers or committee members, and who can be trusted to keep survey respondents' identification and individual answers confidential. Then, let the USCA, Inc. board see at least the tally of answers to questions like "Rank each HP coach and non-HP but 2015 nationals coach 1-10 on whether you would want them as your lead coach if you win a worlds' berth in 2016." Survey for mens, womens, mixed, and juniors nationals at minimum.

03-18-15 04:48PM
SillyRock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SillyRock Click here to Send SillyRock a Private Message Find more posts by SillyRock Add SillyRock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SillyRock
Knee-Slider

of course

of course the HPP program is an aimless, rudderless, money grubbing, life sapping endeavor with no bigger intention than to ruin every team and player it comes in contact with....they certainly wouldn't be having their players doing regimented and scheduled workouts, or working with a sports psychologist, or going to the olympic training center in Colorado for a week of world class training. Nor would they ask these teams to come to 4 or 5, 3 to 4 day camps at a National Training Center where they work specifically on technical (delivery and sweeping), tactical (strategy) skils, and spend time practicing as a team to work on dynamics (team) skils. no they would never do such a thing. and they certainly would never suggest that the athletes send in weekly reports on these things and have practice and training plans based on the results.

they are all just waiting for their next giant paycheck to cash so they have money to take on their next vacation. you see I think they were being quiet about this but the HPP has really been tring to destroy all competitive US curling....but now the cat's out of the bag! and really if we don't win medals now...who cares? that's all the USOC wants anyway, right? I know they've invested more money in our junior program than ever before in the last two years...but juniors don't need money...let's just go back to them having to fend completely for themselves. and I know that the HPP has a bunch of young players in the mix...but getting them to the world stage now won't matter down the road...didn't seem to work for Eve, or Niklaus, or anybody else that keeps showing up at these events.

obviously we'd rather blame the HPP for not doing anything when junior teams get relegated and we are forced to go to spend 20K per team to go to Finland next year just to qualify for Worlds. and we don't care that we wouldn't have a Junior Nationals because that Finland event just happens to be at the same time. no problem.

I sure hate the HPP for all of the horrible things they are doing! and they sure must hate curling and the 320 million people they work for when they are coaching Team USA at the Worlds and Olympics and they obviously really hate that other 20000 in the membership too. seems like all they want is to lose and lose badly, be lazy and fly around the world....boy I wish they cared....I wish they wanted to win...I wish they wanted to do something special...I wish they wanted to help good players become great players and good people become better people....I wish they had a dream and a vision that I could get behind.

First and last post for a lifetime! Boy does it sound silly!

Last edited by SillyRock on 03-18-15 at 04:51PM

03-18-15 10:30PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Even if the USA was as dominant as Canada at world level, I'd still hope our national competitive program(s) constantly work to improve by soliciting annual input at least from all nationally ranked curlers as well as from those curlers' coaches even if such input year after year said 51% or more of those curlers were 100% satisfied with the program(s).

03-18-15 10:48PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Yes, among the HPP problems is a perception problem, because their unpopular acts have been higher profile than the work and effort. Positive results on the world stage are the only way to prove the hard work is there and the direction is correct, but the selection method of our national teams is constantly out front.

Until we start seeing medals at Worlds or the HPP teams significantly outclassing the rest of the American teams expect the criticism to continue.

On the plus side, at least we're not as bad as Canada. After reading some of the comments about Jones this week I thought maybe she hadn't won a game yet.

03-18-15 10:49PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat
It is impossible to overhaul or judge progress on something that has no definition, goals, methods, or accountability. Not to mention no consistency across teams, genders, ages or performance levels. How the Jr. Men are treated is different than the women than the jr. women, than the men (presumably).

It seems like the process depends on which coach shows up at which event.

It is so easy to be a hater, to criticize the teams, players, coaches and organizations. I wish the HPP would give us something concrete to get behind and work with both as fans and as athletes. Frankly, the investment out of pocket to make it to the elite level seems hard to justify when a random individual can change your hard work into a pipe dream with a wave of their hand. Them are taters

Well said. In spite of the HPP, I suspect most if not all USA curlers want USA teams to succeed. But as is so well described above, it is hard to support HPP when we really no so little about it. Maybe if HPP would be more open with curlers beyond "we want to win medals," then this rampant criticism HPP is getting would be lessened or maybe even silenced.

03-19-15 11:41AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Aimless, rudderless analysis of the program maybe...

Just so you know, the athletes do review the program, coaches are evaluated and judged on their usefulness to the program.

Targets are set for the teams and are then evaluated based on whether they're achieved or not. To suggest otherwise is to not understand how sports work.

The staff involved know what it takes to win at the International level. Many have past Worlds and Olympics experience, some even have medals from those events.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-19-15 04:26PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Simple Fix:
Step 1 - Winner of US Nationals is Team USA at Worlds.

Step 2 - HP program keeps hand picking teams to fund for the season. HP program is evaluated base on whether or not players that were in the program for a season choose to apply for the program the next season.

OOM points can only be used for teams to earn a spot at Nationals. This system is no where near good enough to base your World Team selection on. I don't think any point system really could be good enough.

I think the number one issue that is upsetting people is the World Team selection by points. This has been a horrible idea ever since it started because it is unfair and it DOES NOT increase Team USA's chances of earning a medal at Worlds.

03-19-15 04:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman
Simple Fix:

Step 2 - HP program keeps hand picking teams to fund for the season. HP program is evaluated base on whether or not players that were in the program for a season choose to apply for the program the next season.

OOM points can only be used for teams to earn a spot at Nationals. This system is no where near good enough to base your World Team selection on. I don't think any point system really could be good enough.

I think the number one issue that is upsetting people is the World Team selection by points. This has been a horrible idea ever since it started because it is unfair and it DOES NOT increase Team USA's chances of earning a medal at Worlds.

Agree with this 100%

03-19-15 05:09PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman
Simple Fix:

If Order of Merit points are only used to qualify teams for Nationals, what reason is there for most teams to go and play the bigger events in Canada?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-19-15 05:20PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

While I agree with Mn Iceman's premise and points of contention, I disagree with his solution.

The answer seems to be in a broader approach. As we've slipped down the path of more concentrated funding, the results haven't justified the undemocratic nature of the program that rubs most of us the wrong way.

Gone should be the days when only a select few are exposed to high level coaching. Gone should be the days when it is only the rich or the funded that get to see top competition on a regular basis.

Let's find a program that brings top competition to us so many can afford it. Let's find a way to pass the knowledge of our coaches to a broader base of competitive curlers. Let's find a program that encourages more curlers to become very dedicated...not fewer. After that, let's find a way to sell it to the USOC...for that is the hard part.

Ben Tucker
Haven't disagreed with Mn Iceman for a long time...feels good

03-19-15 05:28PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: of course

quote:
Originally posted by SillyRock
of course the HPP program is an aimless, rudderless, money grubbing, life sapping endeavor with no bigger intention than to ruin every team and player it comes in contact with....they certainly wouldn't be having their players doing regimented and scheduled workouts, or working with a sports psychologist, or going to the olympic training center in Colorado for a week of world class training. Nor would they ask these teams to come to 4 or 5, 3 to 4 day camps at a National Training Center where they work specifically on technical (delivery and sweeping), tactical (strategy) skils, and spend time practicing as a team to work on dynamics (team) skils. no they would never do such a thing. and they certainly would never suggest that the athletes send in weekly reports on these things and have practice and training plans based on the results.

they are all just waiting for their next giant paycheck to cash so they have money to take on their next vacation. you see I think they were being quiet about this but the HPP has really been tring to destroy all competitive US curling....but now the cat's out of the bag! and really if we don't win medals now...who cares? that's all the USOC wants anyway, right? I know they've invested more money in our junior program than ever before in the last two years...but juniors don't need money...let's just go back to them having to fend completely for themselves. and I know that the HPP has a bunch of young players in the mix...but getting them to the world stage now won't matter down the road...didn't seem to work for Eve, or Niklaus, or anybody else that keeps showing up at these events.

obviously we'd rather blame the HPP for not doing anything when junior teams get relegated and we are forced to go to spend 20K per team to go to Finland next year just to qualify for Worlds. and we don't care that we wouldn't have a Junior Nationals because that Finland event just happens to be at the same time. no problem.

I sure hate the HPP for all of the horrible things they are doing! and they sure must hate curling and the 320 million people they work for when they are coaching Team USA at the Worlds and Olympics and they obviously really hate that other 20000 in the membership too. seems like all they want is to lose and lose badly, be lazy and fly around the world....boy I wish they cared....I wish they wanted to win...I wish they wanted to do something special...I wish they wanted to help good players become great players and good people become better people....I wish they had a dream and a vision that I could get behind.

First and last post for a lifetime! Boy does it sound silly!

So you're saying there's a plan? A dream? A vision? A countability? or are you seriously that disillusioned?

03-19-15 05:32PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

If Order of Merit points are only used to qualify teams for Nationals, what reason is there for most teams to go and play the bigger events in Canada?

1. you play top competition and get better
2. you play on top-quality arena ice and get better
3. you reach a bigger TV audience and attract better sponsors
4. you earn OOM points and get an invitation to Nationals
5. you earn incredible pride and confidence if you win games
6. you have a great time and come home with stories to tell your grandkids some day.

why on earth would you NOT go and play the bigger events in Canada?

I actually think the free pass to worlds is not even a top motivator compared to some of the others listed above. I bet the players don't even like the free-pass-to-worlds thing because it can't be a great feeling to finish 3rd and then go to worlds instead of the others who beat you at Nationals.

The system is broken and should be fixed. It's not a difficult fix.

03-19-15 05:55PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
While I agree with Mn Iceman's premise and points of contention, I disagree with his solution.

The answer seems to be in a broader approach. As we've slipped down the path of more concentrated funding, the results haven't justified the undemocratic nature of the program that rubs most of us the wrong way.

Gone should be the days when only a select few are exposed to high level coaching. Gone should be the days when it is only the rich or the funded that get to see top competition on a regular basis.

Let's find a program that brings top competition to us so many can afford it. Let's find a way to pass the knowledge of our coaches to a broader base of competitive curlers. Let's find a program that encourages more curlers to become very dedicated...not fewer. After that, let's find a way to sell it to the USOC...for that is the hard part.

Ben Tucker
Haven't disagreed with Mn Iceman for a long time...feels good

We can do both. We can fix the worlds selection process (MNIceman) AND take a broader approach to allocation of money (Tuck).

On the allocation-of-money issue, I think MNIceman's narrow approach or Tuck's broader approach both have the same root problem: there's not enough money to do either approach well. We're competing against countries (Sweden, Scotland, Russia, China, etc.) that appear to be spending much more money than we are. USOC is not gonna bail that out. The necessary money must come from somewhere else.

> bring the top competition to us
Sounds great, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. Probably, the top competition is going to be in Canada for a long while. Probably, if you want to be a top curler then you need to love and embrace Canada because you are going to spend a lot of your life there.

That's not to say that all top competition must be in Canada. I'm all in favor of developing and improving USA competitions wherever possible. And that's one of the reasons why I'm so against all of the de-valuing of the National Championships that has happened in the past two years. USA Nationals is a great competition, and we should be accelerating it, not watering it down with strange exemptions, lack of coverage and strange rules about who will represent USA at worlds.

03-19-15 06:01PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by rbi

1. you play top competition and get better
2. you play on top-quality arena ice and get better
3. you reach a bigger TV audience and attract better sponsors
4. you earn OOM points and get an invitation to Nationals
5. you earn incredible pride and confidence if you win games
6. you have a great time and come home with stories to tell your grandkids some day.

why on earth would you NOT go and play the bigger events in Canada?

I actually think the free pass to worlds is not even a top motivator compared to some of the others listed above. I bet the players don't even like the free-pass-to-worlds thing because it can't be a great feeling to finish 3rd and then go to worlds instead of the others who beat you at Nationals.

The system is broken and should be fixed. It's not a difficult fix.

I wonder why you wouldn't do it either, but teams didn't. It's been since 2009/10 that a USA team ranked high enough to play in the Grand Slams. All other medal contenders at the Worlds did it.

03-19-15 06:13PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
The staff involved know what it takes to win at the International level. Many have past Worlds and Olympics experience, some even have medals from those events.

Gerry, we've heard repeatedly from you and various HPP staff that:
* the curling world has evolved dramatically in the last decade or so
* the approach the US used to take, and which occasionally produced a medal, is now insufficient; if we ever want to be better than mediocre, we need to shake things up. As you wrote earlier today, "If you are happy with 5th place, then stick to the old ways."

Understood.

But then you argue that the HPP staff, with their accumulated int'l experience and medals, is well positioned to usher US curling into this new, more competitive environment.

HPP coaches Pete Fenson, Ann Swisshelm, and John Benton brought home two medals in eight Oly and Worlds appearances from 2000-2009, the most recent nearly a decade ago. In their seven int'l appearances from 2010-2014 they finished no higher than 4th; four times they finished in last place.

If I channel my inner Gerry, I'd summarize like this: Fenson et al. were part of an archaic system that produced only moderate and occasional success, and back when success was easier to come by than it is today.

So what it is about their resumes and 9- and 12-year-old medals that's evidence to you that these same people "know what it takes to win at the International level"? Aren't those medals just artifacts of "the old ways"? And didn't they prove on the ice (and now off, as coaches) that they *don't* know what it takes to win now?

Derek and his coaching staff may in fact be highly qualified and well suited to their jobs (and I don't mean to disrespect what they've done on the ice), but I think you're trying to have it both ways. You can't dismiss "the old ways" and simultaneously cite them as evidence of the HPP staff's value.

mf

03-19-15 06:19PM
SillyRock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SillyRock Click here to Send SillyRock a Private Message Find more posts by SillyRock Add SillyRock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SillyRock
Knee-Slider

Re: Re: of course

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat

So you're saying there's a plan? A dream? A vision? A countability? or are you seriously that disillusioned?

no. my first paragraph doesn't say anything about a plan or what's being done. and if you've met any of the staff you know they have zero desire to help the athletes get better, no dreams of success, no vision of creating a great and lasting program. yep, just collecting paychecks and trying to win medals now. that's exactly why they passed on the experienced players and started a youth movement in the program...to win now.

furthermore, it makes perfect sense that we people who are not playing, coaching, or part of the USOC would care more than the actual coaches, players, and administrators. after all, we have so much to lose.

and let's not forget that going to worlds is a right and something that everyone is entitled to do. it's not the responsibility that the HPP would have us believ it is. it's not like the usoc has anything to say about it anyway...even if they are paying for all of it. i mean it's only olympic qualification on the line. so why not let any schmo throw a team together, play well for 15 or 16 days and become Team USA. that's more American and sure was getting us good results.

i'd really hate it if the HPP invited all of us to camp sometime...we'd have to sit through all of this garbage they call training and listen to people who have all this National, World, and Olympic experience blab on and on about how to get better. and many of them were only front end players...they certainly couldn't know what it takes. i just couldn't see myself freeing up 4 or 5 weekends and a whole week to do that. that would be crazy.

i'd also hate it if any of the athletes came out and talked about and supported the program. people with humility, gratitude, and sense of what it takes really bother me.

getting sillier and sillier by the minute
so silly that I posted again!

03-19-15 06:24PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein

Gerry, we've heard repeatedly from you and various HPP staff that:
* the curling world has evolved dramatically in the last decade or so
* the approach the US used to take, and which occasionally produced a medal, is now insufficient; if we ever want to be better than mediocre, we need to shake things up. As you wrote earlier today, "If you are happy with 5th place, then stick to the old ways."

Understood.

But then you argue that the HPP staff, with their accumulated int'l experience and medals, is well positioned to usher US curling into this new, more competitive environment.

HPP coaches Pete Fenson, Ann Swisshelm, and John Benton brought home two medals in eight Oly and Worlds appearances from 2000-2009, the most recent nearly a decade ago. In their seven int'l appearances from 2010-2014 they finished no higher than 4th; four times they finished in last place.

If I channel my inner Gerry, I'd summarize like this: Fenson et al. were part of an archaic system that produced only moderate and occasional success, and back when success was easier to come by than it is today.

So what it is about their resumes and 9- and 12-year-old medals that's evidence to you that these same people "know what it takes to win at the International level"? Aren't those medals just artifacts of "the old ways"? And didn't they prove on the ice (and now off, as coaches) that they *don't* know what it takes to win now?

Derek and his coaching staff may in fact be highly qualified and well suited to their jobs (and I don't mean to disrespect what they've done on the ice), but I think you're trying to have it both ways. You can't dismiss "the old ways" and simultaneously cite them as evidence of the HPP staff's value.

mf

Sure, it's a good question.

These players have all been around the system and saw the deficiencies that have no lead to the their retirement from the game. While they didn't win anymore, they were there to see what the top teams were doing. They understand that the old system isn't good enough anymore. It would be even better to hire current players in the system at the top (Jacobs, Jones) to do it, but they're playing, so it's not possible. Fenson/Swisshelm are just recently retired and do know what it takes.

As for Derek, he built and evolved the UK program from a similar system to a point where they were able to keep up with the rest of the world as well and target the top teams.

Into this quadrennial, you see how many other countries in the World are using a similar system to keep up with the World. In Sweden, teams are chosen based on their best season. In Switzerland, teams have to meet a minimum points standard (35 pre-Nationals) to qualify for Worlds if they win. Scotland has an open process, but another year of poor Worlds results and you may see a similar points system brought into place there as well.

They're using systems in place to evolve the program and keep up with the rest of the world. They go to these events, they see what other teams are doing to compete.

03-19-15 06:31PM
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:

I wonder why you wouldn't do it either, but teams didn't. It's been since 2009/10 that a USA team ranked high enough to play in the Grand Slams. All other medal contenders at the Worlds did it.

all I'm saying is that the "we go to worlds if we end up in 3rd place in nationals and if the teams above us didn't get OOM points" probably is not a main motivator for playing in top competitions in Canada.

Let's fix the worlds selection process. I honestly doubt that the HP director will say, "Hmmm, now the HP team needs to win Nationals to play at worlds, so let's have them play fewer top competitions in Canada."

03-19-15 06:51PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well the problem is that it costs money to travel to canada and compete and the stronger the event the more money it costs to enter. for teams who dont get funding its not easy to do and simpler to play mostly in the US

03-19-15 07:05PM
CURLogic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLogic Click here to Send CURLogic a Private Message Find more posts by CURLogic Add CURLogic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLogic
Harvey Hacksmasher

If OOM points were used to qualify for Nationals, how might that work? Set a minimum total that each team must have earned; rank the teams based on OOM and qualify the top 8; some other ideas?

In looking at the OOM points as of 12/9/2014 as posted by USCA there is quite a range.

Men
1 - 37.651
4 - 11.215
8 - 2.5

Women
1 - 27.25
4 - 4.5
8 - 0.75

I see curling beginning it's separation into levels similar to other sports. The analogy is in house vs traveling vs select leagues we see in sports like hockey, soccer, baseball and others. That development model of separation evolved due to the primary desire to improve the competiveness at the top and still provide opportunity to participate to all. As you rise in the ranks the athlete must increase their commitment not only in time and effort, but in resources to travel and participate. It's their choice to pursue or not. Their are more resources focused on the fewer at the top on a per participant basis. All still have the opportunity to play, but you have to qualify and then achieve and progress to move up. Those selections are also controversial and have their faults. They also took years to evolve talent at the top once they established the different levels.

This development model of levels has been used in other sports for decades. It appears this is the direction curling is going.

03-19-15 08:09PM
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: of course

quote:

no. my first paragraph doesn't say anything about a plan or what's being done. and if you've met any of the staff you know they have zero desire to help the athletes get better, no dreams of success, no vision of creating a great and lasting program. yep, just collecting paychecks and trying to win medals now. that's exactly why they passed on the experienced players and started a youth movement in the program...to win now.

furthermore, it makes perfect sense that we people who are not playing, coaching, or part of the USOC would care more than the actual coaches, players, and administrators. after all, we have so much to lose.

and let's not forget that going to worlds is a right and something that everyone is entitled to do. it's not the responsibility that the HPP would have us believ it is. it's not like the usoc has anything to say about it anyway...even if they are paying for all of it. i mean it's only olympic qualification on the line. so why not let any schmo throw a team together, play well for 15 or 16 days and become Team USA. that's more American and sure was getting us good results.

i'd really hate it if the HPP invited all of us to camp sometime...we'd have to sit through all of this garbage they call training and listen to people who have all this National, World, and Olympic experience blab on and on about how to get better. and many of them were only front end players...they certainly couldn't know what it takes. i just couldn't see myself freeing up 4 or 5 weekends and a whole week to do that. that would be crazy.

i'd also hate it if any of the athletes came out and talked about and supported the program. people with humility, gratitude, and sense of what it takes really bother me.

getting sillier and sillier by the minute
so silly that I posted again!

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, and you have a mastery of same that puts most to shame. I am still not sure what your position is, if entertainment is your goal, consider it well met.

03-19-15 08:40PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Sure, it's a good question...

I thought so too. But I don't think you really answered it.

Why do you cite Fenson's and Swisshelm's 9- and 12-year-old medals--themselves artifacts of "the old ways" you decry--as evidence that they're well-positioned to bring about change? Yes, they have experience. I wasn't questioning that. I'm questioning why the HPP's more recent--and, if I understand your position, salient--results don't seem as important to you as their resumes.

mf

03-20-15 12:00AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein

I thought so too. But I don't think you really answered it.

Why do you cite Fenson's and Swisshelm's 9- and 12-year-old medals--themselves artifacts of "the old ways" you decry--as evidence that they're well-positioned to bring about change? Yes, they have experience. I wasn't questioning that. I'm questioning why the HPP's more recent--and, if I understand your position, salient--results don't seem as important to you as their resumes.

mf

I referenced their experience in the game. Playing the game as recently as last season. You're not going to get a player who recently won a medal to coach unless you really decide to pay them some serious money.

Their experience is still worthwhile as guidance within the program, they understand the game and what the players need to do to compete.

03-20-15 07:39AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: of course

quote:

and let's not forget that going to worlds is a right and something that everyone is entitled to do!

Going to worlds is not a "right". Norway and Finland (for example) have not been to women's worlds in several years. The US will not be going to worlds either when you fail to qualify to go.