Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-27-15 02:28PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2015 Senior Men's

Fighting for the right to go to Sochi as pre-invasion equipment masses along the Ukrainian border? Good luck, elderly gentleman...but I'm not sure what "good luck" might entail.

Pool play. Let's start with Pool A and then go to Pool B and then to Pool Of Death C.

Pool A all gets a break when past winner Gert Messing withdraws from his team. Done after the seeding, this team is still pretty good...but not all ships sail true after losing the captain. For now, all the Easties seem stuck in a snowstorm so even getting to Eveleth might be a victory. Defending champs are in Pool A. So is the local Big Hands Jorgensen rink. Also super-nice-guy Rhyme curling with other nice guys and experienced rinks like Locke and Gibbs. Gimme the defending champs (Wright) and North Dakota's Tang (Rick Tangedahl). If the ice be moving, Lil Ricky be winnin'.

Pool B has Pustovar, Litman, Sormunen, Erickson, Funk, Berarducci and Cornfield. Gotta like Pusty's chances after doing well out in Settle, but I'm looking for some better odds. Gimme Litman as a lock (I'm liking that he and Sammy Pizza Perella have Johnson at third) and from deep down in the seedings gimme Berarducci (any team with Tim Muller ain't gonna be bad).

On behalf of all USA curling fans, I'd like welcome Teams Beadle, Sieg, Sharp, Eigner, Bahr and Matzke to The Pool Of Death. Seriously? Matzke with Tim Ebert at third is your bottom seed in the pool? This is the deep end and seems limited to very good swimmers. With lots of Senior silver medals, Beadle will be the popular pick for many. I, however, know that the kurling karma might be against them...for they have yet to ask Tuck to sub in for any event or even a game. Looks like road kill to me. Kent Bahr has Timmy Johnson at second? Timmy ain't dead yet? Gimme Bahr rising up from a lowly seeding all the way to the playoffs. Too tough to pick between Sieg and Sharp for the last playoff spot...so gimme Doc Eigner. Doc's been playing some this year and he's done well at Curl Mesabi over the years. Eckstrand at third was last seen skipping a team to the Arena gold (used to skip a youngster named Kevin Martin way, way, way long ago). I've seen Tim Ho play and I promise you he'll be good. Fred Leichter was last seen watching Alex Leichter play and wondering if Fred was ever anywhere near as good as his son (here's a hint: the answer is NO) but Fred will more than hold his own.

So I got Wright and Tangedahl out of Pool A. I have Litman and Berarducci out of Pool B. I predict rising out of the Bloody Pool of Death will be Bahr and Doc Eigner. I don't have many favorites, here. People, I want some props for picking outside the top seeds.

Now I'd love to put The Curse Of Tuck on my buddy Beads...but I don't even have them surviving the Pool Of Death. So give me Litman over Wright in the Finals. Either Tang or Doc for bronze...gimme Doc Eigner.

Good luck to all. I hope the northeast flights come in time to make the first games or that accomodations can be made for those late to the first games. Certainly with 8 sheets they can move something???

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-27-15 04:17PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Losing Gert (only one name needed) hurts but moving Third Nerd to vice helps. Makes him only "sweep" 4 rocks. Having seen him sweep that has to help this team. They could be a dark horse that spoils the party.

01-28-15 05:41PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Beraducci nips Pusty in an extra end...then silence feel across the curlingzone...all were thinking the same thought: Dang, that Tuck is a genius!

No, no, STOP! Genius? That seems a little strong. Please, you're embarrassing me.

OK, must stop it now. Patting oneself on one's back after just one draw is exhausting work. I might pull a muscle or, even worse, you'll remember the big talk on those days when I look far more like the idiot I truly am.

Very sorry to hear that Sammy Perrella suffered a small stroke last week. Very happy to hear that he is recovering quite well. Too late to change my Litman pick...and I'm not sure I would have changed it anyhow.

Great to see that, with ample notification, the Northeast team arriving late got their game rescheduled. I suspect (but do not know) that such a change would have to have been cleared with Locke, their opponent. Good on ya, to all who showed the Spirit of Curling in the face of the blizzard out east.

Ben Tucker

01-29-15 09:23AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Quite the comeback for Mr. Matzke last night over Beadle. Pustovar gets on the board with a win, Wright takes "Tangedal up in blues" down and Erickson beats Lock. Funk drops to 0-2 and Rhyme falls to Jorgensen.

Lots of 3,4 even 5 enders. I am thinking there is some good curl in the ice?

01-29-15 12:31PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Ben-we'll base it on overall standings. If Hans finishes higher, you do a written haka here. If not, then I will.

I doubt that he's reading this, but he's a friend & I'll pass the word. I've suggested that his boys perform before their games, but he's shown reluctance.

Are we on?

As you may have seen from my other posts, I do want to see U.S. curling get to the stage where a Canada-US game matches the intensity of a certain other sport...but I also want to see the game "Go Global"-and there's only one curling club south of the equator (hint-it's not Brazil).

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 01-29-15 at 12:36PM

01-29-15 03:16PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Jimbo, lots of points for me to express:

A. Head to head PLUS standings would be OK, but I need to see who we send. I ain't betting my pride on 4 geezers who just draw the button all this week. A good team and you'll probably have a bet.

B. Kiwi Canadians? Dear God, I hope they didn't let them breed. It'd be like crossing Crazy with Insane.

C. Go Global? Are you insane? It's you guys that started all of this mess when you sent Ray Turnbull to teach the Scandinavians how to properly throw. Now you let teams live in Canada and play the tour and even shoot league. Screw that.

D. Going Global can't include these uncommitted nations that just pay players to live and curl in Canada. If your nation doesn't have at least 3 dedicated curling facilities, you're not a curling nation. I've had enough of these countries that take that shortcut and I grow weary of Canada allowing it.

E. I got nothing bad to say about Australia or New Zealand. Jimbo, however, is close to getting into trouble. Quit sneaking down to the interesting USA threads. Stay up north. Go check out the Maritimes playdown threads (yawn). OK, just kidding. Just remember this ain't Ontario and we don't kiss Guertzie's butt down here. He has no power here. If he acts up, we'll just...what the hell???...something wrong with my keyboard...dang it, Gerry...stop i

01-29-15 05:45PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Tell you what-let's "slide" this to the Asia-Pacific forum. Then we can hurl insults and let the "Boys Down Under" get involved too!

I want to see a Haka somewhere on the ice!

01-29-15 09:23PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Anyone know how the (6) qualifiers will be determined
(can't find anywhere)
a. top 2 from each group?
b. top 6 overall records?

01-29-15 09:35PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I do not know for certain, but I'm pretty sure it will be the top 2 from each pool...records followed by DSC to seed the top 3 from each pool and then the bottom 3. While I've seen records and only records (irregardless of pools) send teams to bonspiel playoffs, that would be a first for a USCA championship. Williams and Beadle would know for sure, but Beadle is playing in right now.

Ben Tucker

01-29-15 10:06PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

In Fairbanks (2013), they took the Group winners and seeded them (as you say) #1-3 and the 2nd place teams #4-6. However, they allowed for a DKO in the playoffs....not single elim. Problem with that was...I believe there was 1 undefeated team (ranked #1) and they lost semis and basically got a bye to the final through the loser's bracket. I think there was a brew-ha-ha over that and they've stopped that practice.

01-31-15 09:21AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Time for an update! Not so much a Standings update (you can look at those yourself), but a How Are Tuck's Picks Doing Update.

Most importantly, my Litman v Wright finals prediction is looking good.

Pool A: Wright has done a belly flop into this pool. The defending champs are crushing teams. I picked 'em, so I'm OK with that. My North Dakota buddies seem to lack consistency. IF both local Jorgie AND my old Mixed friend Rhyme lose their finales, the pool is Tiebreaker Hell.

Pool B: Litman (without Slinging Sammy Perrella) is making me look good. I hope Sammy is doing well. Berarducci won a couple and it looked my true genius was shining through. Alas, it is not to be. Erickson and Pusty look to be the second team getting through. IF both teams lose their last one, it could be Tiebreaker Hell.

Pool Of Death C: It was really fun to see "bottom seed" Matzke sit on top of the standings for so long this week. That sure made the Pool Of Death designation ring true. Top seeds Sieg and Beadle are up there now, but wildness might come to the pool today. Team Matzke could punch their ticket to the playoffs this morning with a win over Doc Eigner, but that is not an easy one. Beads' last game is against undefeated Sieg. So just as in the other pools, Tiebreaker Hell could happen if the right 2 teams lose. Bottomline here is that this was really the Pool Of Death. Mostly the death of my picks. Bahr never got going and Doc Eigner is midpack.

I don't see massive tiebreakers actually happening in any of the pools, although Pool Of Death may be the most likely.

Ben Tucker

02-01-15 11:06PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

My picks did OK. Congrats to Team Sieg. Great to see Lundeen do well. He kinda got hosed a couple years back when Brady won Men's, so good for him. Also cool to see Tom Violette win along with Sieg and Trask. Mostly, it's nice to see that the West Coast bettors slept on their team and I don't have to pay anyone.

Ben Tucker

02-02-15 09:07AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Sieg won the Washington clubs as well. Is it the exact same foursome? A week in Fargo in March followed by 10 days in Russia within a month. I hope they aren't too burned out to curl well.