Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 10 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-10-17 10:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Question 2017 women's world championship

This is coming up pretty quickly. I'm pretty excited this field is amazing. I would argue that it's one of the best and deepest fields we have ever seen. The only field I can think of that even compares or comes close in recent years is the field of 2009 that had anette Norberg, Mirjam ott, Debbie McCormick, Angelina Jensen, Andrea schopp, bingyu wang and Jennifer Jones competing.

It's gonna be hard to predict the final 4 here but I'm gonna go with Canada, Scotland , Sweden and China. Quite honestly it wouldn't surprise me to be off big time. Russia, Denmark, Switzerland and South Korea all have a strongt possibility of being there

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-13-17 11:32AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Broadcast links

http://www.worldcurling.org/wwcc2017/broadcast-coverage

That's a link to the WCF's comprehensive list of all the broadcast partners for the Women's World Championship.

I was specifically interested in whether any of it would be viewable live in the USA, and it appears the whole thing will be. It's being split across 2 different sports channels, though. NBCSN and Universal HD are handling different matches on different days.

I have DirecTV and already get NBCSN. Universal HD is on a different tier than I get, but then I looked into it and found they have a promotional offer on it and a few other channels called the HD Extra Pack where I can get all of them for free for three months and then dump them after that at no cost if I a) don't need them anymore and b) remember to do it in three months. After that they'd be an extra $5 a month.

Of course, with the time difference, many of these matches are in the middle of the night here, but that's what DVRs are for.

It will also be interesting to see if the youtube channel is ever covering any matches I'm more interested in than the ones the US channels are carrying. Even if they geoblock the youtube channel, I have a way around that.

03-13-17 04:18PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know if Vic and Russ are making the trip to China, or will they be broadcasting from the studio?

03-13-17 05:31PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/1...worlds-in-china

Homan rink working on its timing for worlds in China

03-13-17 08:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

SK - Team Kim EunJung

As a fan of all things associated with the Republic of Korea aka South Korea - the host of 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics next February I am keen to see their women's team perform well at this event, in their own back yard. (Read - shorter flight than Europe or North America).

WCT Page: http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php...3924&view=Teams
Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Eun-jung_(curler)
Fourth: Eunjung Kim (Skip) Third: Kyeong-Ae Kim (Vice) Second: Seoyeong Kim Lead: Yeongmi Kim

Three time Asia champion. They have trained and travelled in North America. I like their chances to hit the podium at this event. They have been together as a team for 6 years. Are the highest ranked Asian team on WCT OEM (15th)

Korea needs teams to cheer for at their Olympics. (Remember 2010 Vanoc?) They are not strong in Hockey and Kim YuNa has retired. They have great short track and trick skiers - but my hope is curling will be their big Olympic dark horse for a podium finish. With that, I will cheer these women on.
Also, we expect CDA to perform well. But.. Long flight. Foreign land. We'll see what they get for ice - should be okay.
May the games begin - in Beijing. And good curling. Gerry - do we get a score link here?

Last edited by nelski on 03-13-17 at 09:07PM

03-14-17 11:44PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

https://twitter.com/TeamHoman/media

Arrived in Beijing! Thanks to @lululemon for providing us with all sorts of comfortable clothes for our adventure at Worlds.

..excited for team Homan, I'm positive they will rep Canada well at World's !

03-15-17 12:28AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28
Does anyone know if Vic and Russ are making the trip to China, or will they be broadcasting from the studio?

I talked to Vic yesterday and he said they were not making the trip.

03-15-17 07:56AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
As a fan of all things associated with the Republic of Korea aka South Korea - the host of 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics next February I am keen to see their women's team perform well at this event, in their own back yard. (Read - shorter flight than Europe or North America).

WCT Page: http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php...3924&view=Teams
Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Eun-jung_(curler)
Fourth: Eunjung Kim (Skip) Third: Kyeong-Ae Kim (Vice) Second: Seoyeong Kim Lead: Yeongmi Kim

Three time Asia champion. They have trained and travelled in North America. I like their chances to hit the podium at this event. They have been together as a team for 6 years. Are the highest ranked Asian team on WCT OEM (15th)

Korea needs teams to cheer for at their Olympics. (Remember 2010 Vanoc?) They are not strong in Hockey and Kim YuNa has retired. They have great short track and trick skiers - but my hope is curling will be their big Olympic dark horse for a podium finish. With that, I will cheer these women on.
Also, we expect CDA to perform well. But.. Long flight. Foreign land. We'll see what they get for ice - should be okay.
May the games begin - in Beijing. And good curling. Gerry - do we get a score link here?

yeah, south korea may have a pretty miserable olympics as host. the only sports they have any kind of meal hope in are speed skating, curling and MAYBE bobsleigh and skeleton.they arent getting anything anywhere else

so id hope they do well in curling. but..who knows, being the host can put a ton of pressure on you. look at what happened to sidorova in 2014

on the sidorova note im surprised she's here. moiseeva won the euros and got silver at the winter universiade. she's done well this year. unless there was another playdown to decide who comes here which she lost i would have expected to see moiseeva here again.

03-15-17 10:35AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I've been to Beijing...it is actually a pretty sophisticated world class city. A bit polluted but not some backwater. You use bottled water to brush your teeth etc...but that is supplied by the hotels.

The only unknown will be the ice, but I think team Homan can adjust.

03-15-17 06:54PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yeah, south korea may have a pretty miserable olympics as host. the only sports they have any kind of meal hope in are speed skating, curling and MAYBE bobsleigh and skeleton.they arent getting anything anywhere else

so id hope they do well in curling. but..who knows, being the host can put a ton of pressure on you. look at what happened to sidorova in 2014

on the sidorova note im surprised she's here. moiseeva won the euros and got silver at the winter universiade. she's done well this year. unless there was another playdown to decide who comes here which she lost i would have expected to see moiseeva here again.

They did in fact have another playdown last month, and if I recall correctly Sidorova won 4 games to Moiseeva's 2.

Last year they held a single playdown in the fall for both events, this year after Moiseeva's upset win they shortly thereafter announced there would be a second playdown prior to Worlds (as they had done in previous years). Last year, they more or less said a second playdown was essentially unnecessary and would theoretically take Team Sidorova off the road where experience would benefit them more than playing in-country.

Pure speculation, but I think their federation was nervous about Moiseeva's win and how the team would do at Euros...hence the decision for a second playdown (which was announced prior to Euros). Obviously they had nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to explain it as best as I can from what I've read in Google-translated Russian curling-related articles. If anything, I think this puts more pressure on Sidorova to perform...if they have a bad week, their fed might be second-guessing things based on how Moiseeva did at Euros.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-15-17 08:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

They did in fact have another playdown last month, and if I recall correctly Sidorova won 4 games to Moiseeva's 2.

Last year they held a single playdown in the fall for both events, this year after Moiseeva's upset win they shortly thereafter announced there would be a second playdown prior to Worlds (as they had done in previous years). Last year, they more or less said a second playdown was essentially unnecessary and would theoretically take Team Sidorova off the road where experience would benefit them more than playing in-country.

Pure speculation, but I think their federation was nervous about Moiseeva's win and how the team would do at Euros...hence the decision for a second playdown (which was announced prior to Euros). Obviously they had nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to explain it as best as I can from what I've read in Google-translated Russian curling-related articles. If anything, I think this puts more pressure on Sidorova to perform...if they have a bad week, their fed might be second-guessing things based on how Moiseeva did at Euros.

thanks for filling me in. i kind of suspected that they had had another playdown when i saw sidorova there but wasnt sure. im never really sure of what goes on with the russian.

03-16-17 03:10AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

So... Sidorova wins, and there is 'no need' to play again to determine the Russian representative at the Worlds.
Moiseeva wins, and they must play again to determine who goes to Worlds.
Incredible.

I don't expect any better from a country for which physical attractiveness is a pre-requisite for being on their top curling teams (someone who knows told me this is a fact).
Corruption through and through.

It's really a shame, as the Moiseeva team conducted themselves with absolute class at the European Championships. When they won it on a surprising Swedish miss, and with Team Sweden in shock, the Moiseeva team's initial reaction was to celebrate. But, seeing the disappointment of the Swedish team, they stopped themselves from celebrating, and instead shook hands with and consoled the Swedish team first.
From what I've seen (and heard) of Sidorova's team, they would not have behaved with the same level of class in the same situation.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-16-17 at 03:17AM

03-16-17 08:44AM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Moiseeva came together right before that 'Supercup' in the fall and shocked folks by beating Sidorova. Watching them on the ice at the Euros, and elsewhere this season has been my favorite part of the year so far. They have fun on the ice and like mentioned before handled things with class in a way I haven't seen in any other championships at all (i.e. no "broom flips"). The second pre-World's 'Supercup' was actually live streamed on YouTube last month, but was held in a tiny stark lane with no audience beyond Russian Curling officials and had one camera on the side of the ice which made it tough to tell what was going on in the house sometimes, but they just came up unlucky on the the third day. Thankfully, this won't be the last we see of Team Moiseeva as they'll be playing in the Humpty's Champions Cup thanks to that Euros win. With a really good year under their belt, it should be a fun battle to see who emerges for next year's Olympics as the Russian rep.

03-16-17 12:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

RUS - Team Moiseeva

I snooped into the WCT "teams" history for the curlers on the Moisseva team. Saying these women "arrived" and "surprised" the Eros is a bit of a stretch. I follow Olga Zharkova who is a mentor, a seasoned curler and a Olympic Team employee who goes way back beyond the WCT stats. She has skipped all of the curlers on this team. The lead Guzeiva, and 2nd, Arsenkina both came from the school of Zharkova. They are experienced curlers, and unlike Coach Olga Andrianova bear-like leadership presentation, which ended in 2012 with the hiring of "foreign" coaches. Zharkova was a victim of the former coaching exclusionary tactics but stayed close and brought many young curlers under her fold. Zharkova has a real joi de vive for the sport, and continues to exemplify curling leadership there.

I see that Vaselyeva moved from 2nd to 3rd and that she has curled with Arsenkina through the years. Skipper, has moved up too 2nd, 3rd, now skipping. There is a solid pool of women curlers and I think that New coaching (read 4 years) strong mentorship (read Zarkova) and improved chemistry (read friendship) is stepping up the Russian game. They are catching on that fun is a big factor in our beloved sport.
Summary: I see the leadership of a Skip here - being more of an impact than the leadership of a coach. Zharkova vs Andrianova.

Last edited by nelski on 03-16-17 at 02:32PM

03-17-17 09:27AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

On March 15th M.L., the Supreme Champion, suggested that this

event breaks down into two groups of 3 teams each.

I would suggest instead the following break down may be more

accurate:

Group 1. Homan & Co.

Group 2. The Field

03-17-17 01:44PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Indeed Homan may be maturing into a world & Olympic champion = but you still have to do it ON THE ICE. She was pressed to the limit by Amazing 54 yr old Englot in the Canadian final.

Don't underestimate Princess Eve. She doesn't have quite the team that Homan or Paetz possess - BUT she knows exactly how to feed off her team's weaknesses - letting other teams accumulate rocks in the rings - so Eve can bang off virtually anything available. That's her game, her legacy and she's still pretty good at it. Look at Emma to dwarf Anna by at least 10 to 12 pts in their head to head but I still maintain Eve will take advantage of the deficiency.
As for Paetz - she schmiced legendary Jennifer Jones in her prior world appearance (as a young rookie). Jones was left stunned, broken & confused after Paetz whipped her 3 consecutive times to win her gold medal.

But yeah, Homan has quietly increased her mental strength to compliment her total on-ice game. Sneering and withdrawal, as Raytch found out were no real substitute for REAL MENTAL STRENGTH. That's what the greats all had - Jones, Coco, Sandra Schmirler, Gustafson, Norberg, etc.

Combined with maturity (as most of the team members approach 30) Homan is the team to beat. But I guess event organizers decided to let the games go on - rather than mailing Team Homan their gold medals!

Are you saying that Team Homan's number 1 ranking is not

justified, or are you inferring that despite the team's

rating, Homan herself, does not have the 'real mental

strength' that all the previous number 1 rated skips had?

And if that's what you're suggesting, perhaps you can explain

why all of the skips you referred to actually had, by

comparison, very little if anything to brag about when they

were 27 years of age.

Based on her achievements I would suggest that Homan probably

has more mental toughness, resilience and confidence at 27

years of age than all of those skips did combined at that age.

P.S. Your statement that Paetz 'schmiced' Jones is puzzling

at best. Hopefully this was not another codicil moment.

03-17-17 01:56PM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't think anyone was planning to cede this title to Homan right off the bat. While the men's side of things looks like Edin and a bunch of Canadians battling for king of the hill, World's for the women could be a total free-for-all. I mean even Kubeskova has quietly been having a heck of a season, but my money would be on Hasselborg stepping up for this. After that Euros loss this team seems even more focused, and heck, they were the ones who kept Homan from a Junior title back in 2010.

03-18-17 01:14AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

The ice certainly looks... interesting.
The white paint is separating, making it look like cracks in the ice...

It's curious that the blue & red paint isn't separating - only the white.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-18-17 04:09AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow,weird draw 1

China got crushed, did not see that coming

Switzerland got a huge lead then almost gave it up

Scotland got a lead than did I've it up twice and now has to steal to win

Sweden got a routine win over italy

03-18-17 04:28AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Scotland steal the win. Up and down game. Scotland really struggled heavily and in the end they got away with one. 3 bad misses on last rock doubles by roth gave it to them. To Eves credit she made 3 good shots with her last 3. She manufactured the steal for the win by herself

03-18-17 09:32AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

canada beats germany.

every time i watch them though i get so frustrated. they had opportunities to draw and put ral pressure on canada and instead they would play a hit.

they dont seem to be progressing at all as far as strategy goes.

03-18-17 10:03AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Welcome back CZ.
I am not surprised that Wang is having a slow start. I see them mid-pack at the end. Cheering SKorea - who lost to RUS - oh well. Surprised to see USA oust Sweden in Draw 2. Good comeback for USA there. Sweden may not be invincible. Czech Republic is always a spoiler. Would like to see them nose toward a podium finish. Yeah - Canada. You can't count on misses. You have to work your draw game. Hit Hit Hit is not the way toward gold. We'll see. (p.s. glad to see McEwen qualify in Aberdeen - no point in a new thread!)

Last edited by nelski on 03-18-17 at 10:21AM

03-18-17 12:20PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Wang's slow start is indicative to her start

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Welcome back CZ.
I am not surprised that Wang is having a slow start. I see them mid-pack at the end. Cheering SKorea - who lost to RUS - oh well. Surprised to see USA oust Sweden in Draw 2. Good comeback for USA there. Sweden may not be invincible. Czech Republic is always a spoiler. Would like to see them nose toward a podium finish. Yeah - Canada. You can't count on misses. You have to work your draw game. Hit Hit Hit is not the way toward gold. We'll see. (p.s. glad to see McEwen qualify in Aberdeen - no point in a new thread!)

Wang will be back in her winning ways after her loss to Homan , afterall she probably played the toughest opponent in tournament , the ice will dictate as whether it will be a hitting game to a drawing one, I believe the ice technitions will have to moniotor conditions closely , or the whining will begin from perenial winners like Homan

03-18-17 02:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i guess, seeing this early on the ice does seem more conducive to hitting, which might explain teams leaning more to the hit

03-18-17 02:28PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

nice to hear from you Misty 1 , been away for a while

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i guess, seeing this early on the ice does seem more conducive to hitting, which might explain teams leaning more to the hit
right when you can get 5 feet or more of CONSISTENT curl from outside in then we'll see rocks being buried behind center guard ..we shall see how the ice will be during this week , sure they brought in the best ice techs to save embarassment later....