Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-25-14 11:58AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

What I want to know is:

Is there a way to get money to TESN without going through the USCA's mechanism?

I'm not saying I don't trust the USCA to not divert any monies raised over the 20K they need to other things...but I'm not saying I trust them not to either...and if I'm donating for webcasting, if there's any extra, I want it to prefund and improve the casts for 2015-15, or cover extra events (Club Nationals and/or Mixed or Mixed Doubles, even), not to provide a bonus for the HP coaches when they manage to come in 11th in Worlds rather than 12th.

If I have no other option, I'll chip in this way, but I won't particularly be happy about it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-25-14 12:40PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

How to help TESN

So... how can people help TESN??? Thanks for asking.

1) We can take financial contributions directly through our website. We have a paypal account. I'm NOT suggesting that you do this to support the Nationals webcast directly. Donating to the USCA drive shows the support of the Nationals webcast. This would be a separate stream of money. It goes directly to TESN and as such, we would use it as we see fit. It might go to equipment, it may not. Maybe it'll support our website costs. Maybe it'll help sponsor a team. Maybe it'll support our bottom line. No promises. But if you like what we do and want to help a brother out, that's one way. Realize that a gift to the USCA is likely tax deductable, whereas a gift directly to us is NOT.

Additionally, as the holidays are approaching, using the links on TESN.US when you shop online makes a big difference to our local affiliates. We share the revenue generated from these sales with our affiliates. So if you love Amazon, go to TESN.US first, find the banner ad, click it and shop as normal. We'll get the credit for the sales.

2) Our software is anyways being tinkered with, and while we take suggestions, we don't act on all of them. As of now the code isn't public. Brian is working on some cool things for our local club that might be add ons for others to use. A little too early to throw out there, but if you tune in tonight to the RVC Skins Game on TESN WNY, you MIGHT see some of it in play. Look for BA and maybe you will see what he is doing!

If you are particularly good at mac coding, I'd love to see our software ported to that platform to help more clubs to be able to use the software without having to use some sort of emulator software.

3) About donating equipment... Currently we are using standard def cameras due to length restrictions to cable and HD signals. We eventually will want to go to HD, but the cost to do that is substantial. Best bet, contact us through the website and we can let you know if what you have is something we can use.

4) One thing we'd really like to do is have a handheld camera available to show deliveries and reaction shots. This would take a set of volunteers to be camera people and likely an additional camera. So if there are locals in Kalamazoo that would want to work with us on this, contact us through the website. Additionally, if there are local college programs that want to work on pre-packaged pieces we can include in the broadcast, we'd love to hear from them.

5) I am always on the lookout for some local roadies. The less physical labor I do, the better BA feels about things Seriously, it takes us a good amount of time to set up and tear down. The tear down is toughest because of the long days we put in. But any support would be welcome. The ice crew loves it when we set up quickly. Contact us through the site if you have an interest.

So there are lots of ways to help. We appreciate any support people are willing to give.

11-25-14 12:54PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

If any of you have ever seen Joe attempt anything remotely physical, you'll know that we could use all the roadie help we can get.

-BA

12-01-14 03:21PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I'm in... and topic is back on list of recent posts

12-01-14 04:30PM
steveneger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveneger Find more posts by steveneger Add steveneger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveneger
Harvey Hacksmasher

How much did the Duluth streaming cost? I'm assuming that wasn't the $20,000 version; at least I hope not.

12-05-14 01:26PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

I think the streaming bar was just raised based on the Canada Cup being shown in HD via ESPN3.

Its not too late to donate if you haven't already.

Jason

12-05-14 01:32PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by VAcurler
I think the streaming bar was just raised based on the Canada Cup being shown in HD via ESPN3.

Jason

Yes, let's donate. But keep in mind one of TSN's cameras costs well over $20k. Don't go expecting that quality

-BA

12-05-14 05:02PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

I reject your facts and reality and replace it with my own.

12-06-14 07:35PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by VAcurler

Jason

Doubt it that the USCA will rise to the challenge.

Not just the Canada Cup, but the entire SOC !!!

Who needs a dish now?

12-08-14 11:29PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Curious...

It's curious that one thing that the USCA could provide its members (which a fair number of members would probably like/appreciate), which is to provide broadcasting of curling, is something that was dropped for funding, and now the USCA membership is being called upon to raise money for it.

Instead of USCA putting money towards broadcasting curling as much as possible for "top down growth" (web streaming, etc), they cut the funding for web streaming events (perhaps putting that 20k to other programs... perhaps thinking that medals will make a million people want to start to curl, correct me if I'm wrong).

Clubs see huge interest/growth during the Olympics without medals (Vancouver and Sochi, for example), one would suppose that broadcasting as much curling as possible would be the key to growing the sport in the US, as opposed to winning medals... But that's assuming that one goal of USCA is to grow the sport... But what do I know?

Then they ask the USCA membership to fund raise to web stream events... And then there's the emails seemingly every other week asking for donations in general... Curiouser and curiouser...

12-17-14 06:07PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Bump

A shout out/call out to competitive curlers: I know you have a ton of money into the curling year already, but I also know that you'll be wanting a webcast so the family and friends back home can watch. Drop a little cash this way and maybe spread the word to family and friends.

As for the budgeting priorities of the USCA: Let's just make this happen by raising the money. Then let's get vocal to our local USCA board members that we expect this to be a priority in the future. While I understand the need for other spending to be high priority, this is the one thing that I really consider great return for my dues.

Ben Tucker

12-29-14 09:06PM
Dorycurls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dorycurls Click here to Send Dorycurls a Private Message Find more posts by Dorycurls Add Dorycurls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dorycurls
Harvey Hacksmasher

Please donate..BTW, what is the link to donate?

12-30-14 04:01PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Here is the link for direct donation to support the webcast of Nationals.

https://secure.2dialog.com/usacurli.../showpage?id=11

01-12-15 03:03PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Fabricating a post just to bump this up the list of recent posts.

Shouting out to those who won Challenge Round spots last week. You'll want to help spread the word so your family and friends can watch.

Ben Tucker
former TESN indentured servant

01-12-15 03:59PM
Deez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deez Click here to Send Deez a Private Message Find more posts by Deez Add Deez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deez
Harvey Hacksmasher

So does anybody know where the magic number stands? This is unlike other sites like gofundme where there is a running tally on the page as well. Have we reached our goal? Are we close? Do we need to double down on getting the word out about this? Is the webcast for Kalamazoo this year really in doubt at this point? Wouldn't that be kind of unfair to keep the TESN guys in limbo? Also, prompted by the donation page, if I did make a donation to the "USCA's greatest need" what would that donation go towards at this exact moment?

I would also like to shout out Chris Rimple and all the commentators over the weekend for Challenge Round coverage. I can only speak for myself, but I actually prefer the format and commentary of the webstream as opposed to the traditional TSN coverage package(Sorry Vic, Linda, and Russ) and I know many feel the same.

01-12-15 05:43PM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

Hey, Joel and Tuck. Thanks for putting this up front on here again.

There isn't a magic number. At the last Board meeting, I pledged to lead the fundraising to make the webcast possible because I think it's important. We're not leaving the TESN guys in limbo they know they'll be there.

Personally, I'd like to see us get to 20K. It sends a message that webcasting is important our championships is important to US curlers. Going forward, I think most of us, including fellow USCA Board members, would like to see more of our championships Mixed, Seniors, etc. webcast to the high standards that TESN reaches.

Many of our athletes have already contributed and I thank them for that. More could and, I imagine, will. If you would like to make a contribution online, visit https://secure.2dialog.com/usacurli...showpage?id=11. If you don't like the online route, send a check to the USCA offices and write "Nationals Webcast" in the Memo line.

We could all spend a lot of time debating what the USCA should or shouldn't doing. But if you think the webcast is valuable, make an effort to support it this year and show that you do.

Finally, great job by the Seattle Granite on hosting the Men's Challenge Round and putting on a great webcast. Seattle is a terrific club and it's always a pleasure to play there.

Dean Gemmell

01-12-15 07:20PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Dean, Thank you for an eloquent appeal for this fundraising effort, but I wonder if this sort of grassroots' funding for a grassroots' desire is wise for the short and long term.

This past weekend, 8+ Team USA members flew to Switzerland and Scotland while the top Canadian and European teams performed in Calgary for fun and to promote their sponsors. (Big win, Comfyballs!) In Bern, Team Roth qualified and picked up useful overseas points widening her lead for selection to Worlds. Team H. McCormick, with five members listed on the spiel website, finished out of the top 12 earning no points. What were the final costs by USCA for those trips to Europe v. the 2 challenge rounds, and the HP v. grassroots curlers' average out-of-pocket costs?

I want to wish every competing team well, but the system now is not a level playing field. If we fund this webstream this year, we can bet next year we'll be asked to fund more "grassroots' priorities" to free more of the major sponsor funds for sending abroad more HP teams selected and assembled off ice. Non-HP teams may be better off using their own social media channels to communicate directly with their fans than doing anything which puts more cash support in their competitors' pockets.

Alternatively, what would a daily recap podcast show from an offsite bar cost?

01-12-15 10:54PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Dean, Thank you for an eloquent appeal for this fundraising effort, but I wonder if this sort of grassroots' funding for a grassroots' desire is wise for the short and long term.

This past weekend, 8+ Team USA members flew to Switzerland and Scotland while the top Canadian and European teams performed in Calgary for fun and to promote their sponsors. (Big win, Comfyballs!) In Bern, Team Roth qualified and picked up useful overseas points widening her lead for selection to Worlds. Team H. McCormick, with five members listed on the spiel website, finished out of the top 12 earning no points. What were the final costs by USCA for those trips to Europe v. the 2 challenge rounds, and the HP v. grassroots curlers' average out-of-pocket costs?

I want to wish every competing team well, but the system now is not a level playing field. If we fund this webstream this year, we can bet next year we'll be asked to fund more "grassroots' priorities" to free more of the major sponsor funds for sending abroad more HP teams selected and assembled off ice. Non-HP teams may be better off using their own social media channels to communicate directly with their fans than doing anything which puts more cash support in their competitors' pockets.

Alternatively, what would a daily recap podcast show from an offsite bar cost?

Alice hit the nail on the head. If the money that was used for TESN is now redirected somewhere else and the USCA membership then raises it, I doubt the USCA would try to fund it next year.

I unfortunately will not be donating to USCA as I do not trust the USCA to do good with the money I would give. Especially when I feel that the USCA has not been particularly transparent as to where did that money that was there last year go to this year? What funds are from what sources and where are they allocated? What are the budgets for the parts of the HP program? What are the budgets for growing the sport? These are just a few questions that I (and other USCA members) have. And if all this information is already available, then where?

01-13-15 08:21AM
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

The usca held a webinar detailing their budget back in late fall I think it was. I attended it, did you?

They post their financials on their website. I don't know if it has all the info you want . . .

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ling/Financials

-BA

(We appreciate the support and are busy making preparations for Kalamazoo!)

edit:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...urling/Webinars

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ng-Minutes/2014

Last edited by B Anderson on 01-13-15 at 08:27AM

01-13-15 08:38AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The webinars are available for replay on the USCA site here

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...urling/Webinars

The August 28 one discussed the budget, there is a presentation that is also available. Also, you can contact your USCA director for your region, they have information available as well or contact the USCA staff.

JH

01-13-15 10:12AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Alice raises a good point. This absolutely needs to be a 2 step process.

The first step is nearly completed. After learning that the webcast had fallen to the budget ax (budgeting is a tough baby, filled with tough decisions), a very few directors took it upon themselves to raise the money. To do so successfully would not be a big "F U!" to the USCA, but it would emphasize the importance of webcast to dues-paying curlers.

Unless we do Step 2, we do run the risk of being misunderstood. The board could take the mistaken path of not funding popular programs that they believe would drive donations.

Step 2 has to be contacting your USCA director if you are of the opinion that the webcast is an important return on your USCA dues. Of the myriad programs that the USCA provides, if the webcast is your favorite return on your dues dollars...you need to let them know. I will. Most certainly.

Ben Tucker

01-13-15 11:41AM
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

The TL:DR recap of the 2013 report (year ending June 2013)

1. A new curling stone costs a bit over $400 in case you were wondering. Not sure what shipping that includes (presumably from WCF to Stevens Point). So set aside $7k per sheet for those of you whose clubs need new rocks.

2. Revenue was $1.8M. Dues were 25% of that. 6% were fees collected from the championship entries. USOC money was almost half of the total revenue (45%)

3. The Elite program received $530k not including coaching ($70k) or travel to worlds (116k).

It would be a little too much like the movie Dave to try to cut out $20k to make funding the webstream a priority but I'm sure it could be done (cough trip to Europe when all the A teams are at the Continental Cup cough).

These numbers are now a full year old. I'm not privy to the current financials but if the USOC money goes down so does all the rest of the services.

I donated this year and if asked to donate next year I'm going to treat it like a pay-per-view event and figure out what I'm willing to pay to watch a week long exhibition event where none of my friends are allowed to win (much less).

Jason

01-13-15 03:15PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Points to Jason for using a Dave movie reference. Great movie!

01-13-15 04:16PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

And who are you to be handing out points here? Who do you think you are? Chris Hardwick?

01-13-15 04:29PM
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Maybe they are "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" points