Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-01-14 03:39PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Ramblings! 2014

May 1 means one thing. Time for the ramblings thread. Same rules as always - Tuck is in charge and will ban posters as needed, no serious curling talk, summer spiels are good, vacation stuff is better.

A good thread for those that hate the horsie threads.

JH

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-02-14 10:10AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Wow, it is that time already ain't it?

This off-season is the first in 3 years I'm not starting out by rehabbing a serious rotator cuff problem...this year it's only carpal tunnel and a C5/C6 impingement on the medial nerve...not sure that's really *progress* per se...oh well...

New Car shopping this weekend, considering the Nissan Versa Note (the station wagonish version)...anyone got anything on it?

05-08-14 11:41AM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

buy American

05-08-14 04:01PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Most "Japanese" cars these days are made mostly in America, and I've had horrible Ford and Chevrolet cars....so..yeah...no.

05-08-14 04:58PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Buy what makes you happy, just make sure it has a heated steering wheel and the trunk is large enough for your broom bag.

And since this is the rambling thread, make sure it has three pedals. Making that the number one selection criteria will greatly narrow your shopping list.

05-08-14 05:27PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Actually, ended up with the Mazda 3 hatchback. Plenty of broombag room so long as I can put down the 60/40 backseat.

All the bells and whistles, nav, reverse camera, blind spot...hell...I think there's even a mode that will nag me to take the draw rather than the hit next season...

05-09-14 10:12AM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Ramblings! 2014

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
No serious curling talk, summer spiels are good, vacation stuff is better.

JH

No serious curling talk....What about crazy curling stories over this past year?

Summer spiels are good...If you like BBQ, look at Kansas City BBQspiel in August! Not only do they have some of the best BBQ in the country, but the club has a member who does his own BBQ for the Sat. night banquet!

Vacation stuff is better....still working on that one (was hoping to make a trip up to Lansing in June for arenas, but our team lost the club playdowns

05-12-14 08:30AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Preakness

Since the Preakness does not generate as much excitement, will post it in this thread.

Looks like 9 or 10 runners. Cali Chrome will probably go off 3/5. I am liking Bayern, Ride on Curlin and Social Inclusion.

Here is the list.
California Chrome
Ride On Curlin
General a Rod
Dynamic Impact
Kid Cruz
Bayern
Ring Weekend
Social Inclusion
Pablo Del Monte
Ria Antonia - possible

05-12-14 10:15AM
CURLS4LYFE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLS4LYFE Click here to Send CURLS4LYFE a Private Message Find more posts by CURLS4LYFE Add CURLS4LYFE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLS4LYFE
Harvey Hacksmasher

Kentucky Derby

California Chrome absolutely "rocked" (no pun intended) the Derby last week. And boy his sperm is going to be expensive.

05-12-14 10:17AM
El Diablo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Diablo Click here to Send El Diablo a Private Message Find more posts by El Diablo Add El Diablo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Diablo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hey, jhcurl

You know what would be fun? A cat race. You can organize that, right jhcurl? You're a crazy cat lady. Or are consultants bad at organizing anything.

05-12-14 10:19AM
thejackhammer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thejackhammer Click here to Send thejackhammer a Private Message Find more posts by thejackhammer Add thejackhammer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thejackhammer
Hitting Paint

jhcurl, you are a disgrace to this site. This is a curling website, not a rambling forum site (i suggest you go to reddit). jhcurl, everyone knows the phillies don't have an ice cube's chance in hell at winning the NL East. Just crawl back into that hole in the ground called Connecticut

Rock On Bruh.

"Curling is more than a fantastic and a physically challenging sport, it is how I live."
-Barack Obama (The King of Curl)

05-12-14 10:20AM
El Diablo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Diablo Click here to Send El Diablo a Private Message Find more posts by El Diablo Add El Diablo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Diablo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Jackhammer...

You're preaching to the choir, jackhammer!

05-12-14 10:12PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I am enjoying the exercise of going through the Preakness horses.

I don't see California Chrome losing this one. The longer Belmont will be more interesting. I hope Chrome wins the Preakness. The potential for a triple crown winner will be fun.

I only see 2 horses with the raw talent to beat Chrome should he have an off day. Social Inclusion set a track record this year at a very good track (Gulfstream). Ride On Curlin set a track record at venerable Churchill Downs.

Those are the three horses that will get all of my focus...probably a trifecta box and an exacta box. If either of these two upset California Chrome, it should pay well.

I'm afraid of Dynamic Impact (won the Illinios Derby with a decent time of 1:49, but just by a nose over a field much weaker than this), Ring Weekend (won the Tampa Bay Derby in a decent timed and is trained by the great Graham Motion) and Kid Cruz.

I'd rather see Kid Cruz gearing for the Belmont. As a son of Lemon Drop Kid, he should get that distance just like his father once did. If the Preakness starts off with a speedy pace (lead by Bayern, Social Inclusion, Pablo Del Monte and California Chrome who are all fast and like to be in the lead or close to the lead) Cruz and Ride On Curlin can use their closing power to pass fading favorites.

I'm not afraid of Bayern (Baffert trained and Baffert tends to win the Preakness, but I don't see him going this far and I hate how he struggled against a weak Derby Trial field), Pablo Del Monte (best races are on synthetic), General A Rod (seems to get worse as the distances get longer), nor the filly Ria Antonia (finished 6th in The Oaks and really has no place in this field.

I feel pretty confident in my top three horses, so that's a very bad sign. Maybe the sun will finally start shining around here and we can get into the fields...could save me a pile of money.

Ben Tucker

05-13-14 01:32AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Actually, ended up with the Mazda 3 hatchback. Plenty of broombag room so long as I can put down the 60/40 backseat. All the bells and whistles, nav, reverse camera, blind spot...hell...I think there's even a mode that will nag me to take the draw rather than the hit next season...

The Mazda 3 is a good car mechanically... but Mazdas have had significant premature rust problems for the past 10 years or so - more than any other manufacturer.
If you've already bought the car, and if you live where there's snow, I suggest you get a good 'rustproofing' treatment done before the winter (and before every winter in the future). Do some research and find the best 'rustproofing' in your area - sometimes a small independent place can be the best, with advertizing done only by word of mouth (that was the case in my area).

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 05-13-14 at 01:52AM

05-13-14 07:53AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Fortunately...most winters at least, the DC metro area doesn't get a ton of snow, just a couple of storms with a couple inches that melts away in a day or two, but thanks for the tip, I'll take a look.

05-13-14 11:14AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I am enjoying the exercise of going through the Preakness horses.

I don't see California Chrome losing this one. The longer Belmont will be more interesting. I hope Chrome wins the Preakness. The potential for a triple crown winner will be fun.

I only see 2 horses with the raw talent to beat Chrome should he have an off day. Social Inclusion set a track record this year at a very good track (Gulfstream). Ride On Curlin set a track record at venerable Churchill Downs.

Those are the three horses that will get all of my focus...probably a trifecta box and an exacta box. If either of these two upset California Chrome, it should pay well.

I'm afraid of Dynamic Impact (won the Illinios Derby with a decent time of 1:49, but just by a nose over a field much weaker than this), Ring Weekend (won the Tampa Bay Derby in a decent timed and is trained by the great Graham Motion) and Kid Cruz.

I'd rather see Kid Cruz gearing for the Belmont. As a son of Lemon Drop Kid, he should get that distance just like his father once did. If the Preakness starts off with a speedy pace (lead by Bayern, Social Inclusion, Pablo Del Monte and California Chrome who are all fast and like to be in the lead or close to the lead) Cruz and Ride On Curlin can use their closing power to pass fading favorites.

I'm not afraid of Bayern (Baffert trained and Baffert tends to win the Preakness, but I don't see him going this far and I hate how he struggled against a weak Derby Trial field), Pablo Del Monte (best races are on synthetic), General A Rod (seems to get worse as the distances get longer), nor the filly Ria Antonia (finished 6th in The Oaks and really has no place in this field.

I feel pretty confident in my top three horses, so that's a very bad sign. Maybe the sun will finally start shining around here and we can get into the fields...could save me a pile of money.

Ben Tucker

I think CC wins and will not be boxing him. A $12 exacta box with CC winning and ROC or SI second will lose money. I too like SI. That exacta might pay $12 but probably around $7. Will wait until Wednesday evening to see where the morning line odds are set.

JH

05-13-14 01:02PM
DBZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DBZ Click here to Send DBZ a Private Message Visit DBZ's homepage! Find more posts by DBZ Add DBZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

With these odds, I'm thinking Superfecta with CC on top & a 4-horse box. Add a Trifecta with Ride on Curlin on top & box 3, hoping for a CC meltdown.

05-13-14 02:41PM
Curling_Dad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling_Dad Click here to Send Curling_Dad a Private Message Find more posts by Curling_Dad Add Curling_Dad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling_Dad
Harvey Hacksmasher

I just hope all of jhcurls bets lose and he/she goes into a crippling depression. All smiles here from Maine though

05-14-14 08:44AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

JH has a point. If you were to buy a $1 exacta box with three horses, it will cost you $6. If the favorite wins and second place goes to a horse that isn't a longshot, the ticket will probably only pay $5. You have the winner, but you lost a buck.

I look at it differently. I see it as getting some "free" bets. True, the chances are very good that the favorite wins...but if he loses, I get paid. If Ride On Curlin or Social Inclusion nips California Chrome at the wire, it should be pretty good money. If they both somehow get past him, it should pay big.

Friday is the Pimlico Black Eyed Susan Stakes for the fillies. I have no idea who will win this race. There are 2 very live longshots that I like. Fortune Pearl is very fast, but will get long odds because she ran some bad races on turf and her workouts haven't been very good. (Hannon will like her because she's a very deep closer) Image Of Anna will be a very longshot and her workouts have been great. Maybe box those two with a couple decent fillies with decent odds like Euphrosyne and America.

Ben Tucker

05-14-14 11:45AM
Moogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Moogie Click here to Send Moogie a Private Message Find more posts by Moogie Add Moogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Moogie
Knee-Slider

Preakness

I think all the smart money is waiting for commanding curve in the Belmont.

California Chrome will show in this lack-luster field, but I don't see him as unbeatable. This will make a "good value" exotic nearly impossible.

Ring Weekend ran an impressive tampa bay derby. His second at the Calder Derby is very concerning(very slow time), but I have faith in Tapit colts. Maybe a WPS bet.

I am not in love with ride on curlin, but if he went off at 8 to 1 or better I would probably put it on his nose. He is talented but would need great trip.

05-14-14 12:32PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The previous poster is obviously poorly raised. I blame Dave Jensen.

Time to look for mud runners in the Black Eyed Susan. Looks like a ton of rain for Friday in Baltimore. Saturday is forecasted to be nice.

Ben Tucker

05-14-14 04:39PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I tried Tuck. I even took him to the science center in Bemidji

05-14-14 08:10PM
Moogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Moogie Click here to Send Moogie a Private Message Find more posts by Moogie Add Moogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Moogie
Knee-Slider

And I still have a snake phobia. Just hold it for awhile they said.

On a more important note Ring Weekend was handicapped at 20-1, so that calls for a $5 WPS.

Tuck, or Dad to me, picked em in the derby. So, the law of averages is telling me to snag one of JH's exotics. He must be due.

05-14-14 08:41PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

In the finest tradition of American Sport, I blame the coach. It is Jensen's fault. Wait until you hear Moogie's thoughts on taking 1 with the hammer in the 8th. Again, I blame the coach. All good Americans always blame the coach.

Ben Tucker

05-14-14 10:43PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
In the finest tradition of American Sport, I blame the coach. It is Jensen's fault. Wait until you hear Moogie's thoughts on taking 1 with the hammer in the 8th. Again, I blame the coach. All good Americans always blame the coach.

Ben Tucker

I always thought it was good to get on the board. They always felt bad when they got blanked. :-)B ( gopher smile)