Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Doubles - Feb 7

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-11-18 08:48PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Come on Kaitlyn!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Once Norway drops a 3-bomb on them John & Kaitlyn will go into panic mode and get blown up . . .

Hope you are choking on your words now.
John played a marvelous game today- supporting Kaitlyn's struggle, deferring to her choices (most of the time). He showed a great maturity that is often missing. Way to go team!

I believe that one of the US announcers is Kevin Martin,

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-11-18 08:53PM
c11w11p is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c11w11p Find more posts by c11w11p Add c11w11p to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c11w11p
Knee-Slider

Re: Re: Re: Come on Kaitlyn!

quote:

I believe that one of the US announcers is Kevin Martin

Thanks. This one isn't Martin; I would recognize him. It's strange, because I was watching the NBC Olympic stream online and it is one commentator, but the NBC TV broadcast is someone completely different. The online was a soft-spoken North American man and a Scottish woman, but they never intro themselves throughout any match.

02-11-18 08:58PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

On to the final

John and Kaitlyn faced down some adversity today; I'm sure they are a stronger team as a result. Kaitlyn's last shot (and sweep) in 7 was a beauty, basically ended the game.

One of the keys to high performance athletic pursuits is the ability to put mistakes in the past and live in the present, and we saw that today.

I think this performance bodes well for the gold medal game which is at 0300 hrs Tuesday out here.

02-11-18 09:05PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Today's struggles could auger well for their gold medal game, given that they have been cruising till today. A reality jolt can be good.

02-11-18 09:30PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

It seems that when NBC isn’t carrying a match live on TV, they’re just letting the international feed run through onto their online streaming services. That feed’s been using commentators I recognize from World Curling TV.

When NBC puts it on their NBC SN TV channel, though, they’ve got commentators on their own payroll doing the job. Kevin Martin was part of that at the start, but I haven’t heard him for a while now. Jamie Sinclair has been on sometimes. I don’t know who the two are that we just heard on the first half of the first semifinal.

02-11-18 09:35PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

As for the match itself, as the international commentators were pointing out, the ice today suddenly has a lot more curl in it than has been the case up until now. It definitely tripped up Kaitlyn Lawes in the first half, and it looked like Norway started having trouble with it too, just at the time Lawes seemed to mostly get a handle on it, It’ll be interesting to see what it’s like for the second semifinal.

02-11-18 09:51PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Re: On to the final

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
John and Kaitlyn faced down some adversity today; I'm sure they are a stronger team as a result. Kaitlyn's last shot (and sweep) in 7 was a beauty, basically ended the game.

One of the keys to high performance athletic pursuits is the ability to put mistakes in the past and live in the present, and we saw that today.

I think this performance bodes well for the gold medal game which is at 0300 hrs Tuesday out here.

Kudos to Kaitlyn for the bounce back and especially Johnny Mo for being the best team mate. (not just shot making but especially his positive communication.)

02-11-18 11:38PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: On to the final

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger

Thank you. Nice to read such positive thoughts. I'm feeling gold.

02-11-18 11:39PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: On to the final

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

Kudos to Kaitlyn for the bounce back and especially Johnny Mo for being the best team mate. (not just shot making but especially his positive communication.)

Love the positive comments. So nice to read them. Canada going for gold. Its exciting.

02-11-18 11:42PM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Kaitlyn continues to soil herself

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Haven't seen her curl this bad since her first game under JJ at the Olympics - Morris is carrying her but if this continues Kaitlyn will be curling for a bronze medal tomorrow.

In real terms she's curling about 10%
Even John Mo at 90% can't hide a number that hideous!

PS. Hope she didn't catch the "Sweaty Pancake Boy" flu from the Korean fella?

You are such an unkind person. Why on earth would you make a comment like that. Its disgusting. Why not just think about what you want to say then dismiss it.

02-12-18 02:32AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Anybody who has ever curled has thrown the unforgiveable shot. But to see Kaitlyn throw a rock behind the t-line when anywhere over the hog line was fine is, well, a shocker. No doubt most especially to her. It was doubly bad because it came right after having just thrown the exact opposite unforgiveable shot.

Everyone who knows anything at all about curling knows that when you are playing a split you have to throw the weight that scores the rock you are throwing if it misses the rock you are splitting. Whoops. Can you say five point swing.

Fortunately for Team Canada as much as they tried to give it away Norway was just better at it. The fifth end was quite literally a comedy of errors. The only conceivable explanation for these guys making club curlers look good is pressure.

The carrot for the semi-final is just so sweet and the stick so very big. Win and you are guaranteed an Olympic Silver medal!!! Winning the next is nice and all but nothing compared to already having a silver in your pocket. Lose and A) the gold is gone and B) you now face the most dreaded spot in sport. Fourth in the Olympics. Honestly it's better to miss the playoffs than finish fourth.

Given this ginormous pressure even hardened veterans with unparalleled resumees like these two can wilt a bit. But hey you know what they say about winning ugly. "There ain't no pictures on the scoreboard".

02-12-18 08:41AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

All this criticism of Kaitlyn, there were a few games where she carried John and calmed him down.

So she had a bad game, she came through in the 7th with a tough shot.

I never heard either of them snipe or snarl at each other during the whole round robin unlike OAR.

Go for gold - you both deserve it.

02-12-18 08:50AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
All this criticism of Kaitlyn, there were a few games where she carried John and calmed him down.

I think it was shocking, more than anything else. I don't recall ever seeing Kaitlyn play the way she did the first half of the game - she was missing shots the way a Monday night C curler might. Very happy they managed to pull it out - I'm sure she would have taken it hard had they not.

02-12-18 09:13AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Enough chatter out there to drive just about anybody nuts, but Man and Boy, what a competitor!

A veritable one - man wrecking machine the Mixed Doubles Curling World will remember for a long, long time.

02-12-18 09:26AM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know if the Russians lost their deposit for breaking the hack?

02-12-18 09:35AM
Observer
Swing Artist

I'm sure the Russians will deny all hacking.

02-12-18 10:12AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Apparently the Russian curling team won't have to pay for the damaged hack because Vladimir Putin, himself, has promised to cover the replacement. And if he doesn't, Trump says he will be only too happy to do so, and it won't be made of rubber!
(1 USD = 57.97 Rubles)

02-12-18 10:13AM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I'm sure the Russians will deny all hacking.

You, sir, just won the internet...

The curling based part of it, anyway!

02-12-18 10:31AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Did they smash the hack? When was that?

02-12-18 11:35AM
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Did they smash the hack? When was that?

The last rock of the 4th end.

The Russians had no shot to score so just threw it away, but instead of the usual control/normal weight shot to the outside the Russian guy threw something like a 5 second peel at a wide rock which ended up driving it straight towards the hack.

We never actually saw the rock hit it (on any of the coverage I have seen at least) but Joan McCusker let out an "Oh Dear" or something along those lines. For a second I was concerned one of the Swiss may not have been paying attention to what was just a throw-away and may have been hit, but she confirmed a few seconds later it was the hack that had been lifted out of the ice.

Last edited by RaiseDoubleFTW on 02-12-18 at 11:38AM

02-12-18 12:23PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Normally such temper tantrums from athletes result in fines/DQs/suspension from the organizing body (i.e WCF). Imagine if that rock had hit and hurt one of the Swiss players.

Whether its mixed doubles or team, the spirit of the game should still stand.

02-12-18 01:14PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by RaiseDoubleFTW

The last rock of the 4th end.

Just went back and watched. That was pretty bad. Not the first instance of Krushelnitskiy acting like an idiot on the ice this week.

I've noticed an inordinate number of instances of 'lack of curling decorum' from several of the teams.

02-12-18 01:47PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I just watched the Switzerland-OAR semifinal. That Swiss team is UNCOMFORTABLE to watch! I feel bad for Perret because Rios is a real jerk on the ice. Watching him is a real clinic in how to be a bad teammate...and yet he is going to win a medal.

02-12-18 03:12PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

BEST - CASE SCENARIO FOR CANADA'S 3 CURLING TEAMS

2 Gold 1 Silver

WORST - CASE SCENARIO

1 Gold 1 Silver 1 Bronze

02-12-18 04:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
BEST - CASE SCENARIO FOR CANADA'S 3 CURLING TEAMS

2 Gold 1 Silver

WORST - CASE SCENARIO

1 Gold 1 Silver 1 Bronze

I'd say best case 3 gold

In your worst case which team do you have winning each medal?