Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-27-15 12:22PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

1 end in and Homan is definitely not out of gas. Good to see. This is shaping up to be a great game.

Edit: Homan steals 1 again in the 2nd. Concedes 3 to Muirhead in the 3rd. Good back-and-forth game so far.

Edit 2: Homan gets a deuce, up 4-3 at the break.

Edit 3: Muirhead opts for a risky attempt at a deuce in the 5th, gives up a steal of 1. Big misses by Muirhead's rink in the 6th leaves Eve having to make a difficult skip shot, and ends up giving up another steal...down 6-3 in the 7th. First half of the game was pretty even...mistakes on both sides and what not. Second half has been the Homan show, making Muirhead pay for every mistake.

Edit 4: Homan let Muirhead get her deuce in the 7th. At last rock in the 8th Muirhead left Homan with an open draw for a single and Homan nailed it.

Great game by Homan and a well-deserved win. The turning point was definitely Muirhead's questionable call in the 5th. Homan took the momentum and ran with it all the way to the win.

I'm a fan of both these rinks, but objectively Homan needed the win more than Muirhead. They didn't really have much to lose other than money and some OOM points, while this gives Homan a huge lead in the CTRS rankings. First time a Canadian rink has won this event as well, which is cool.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Last edited by Phil_D on 09-27-15 at 02:28PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-27-15 02:31PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Congrats Team Homan. Great game and great win. Welcome also to some great numbers in CTRS points. Oh, and a few dollars.

09-27-15 02:43PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

One of the biggest differences I see between men's and women's curling right now is consistency.

For reasons that are not clear the women's teams miss more elementary shots than the men.

Draws that need to be in front of the rings going right through the house. Draws that need to freeze to rocks behind the t-line coming up short.

On the run back game though the ladies have really caught up. Ditto on strategy. Compared to the Coleen Jones era it is night and day.

The best explanation I have that fits the facts is that the men's sweeping gives them a bigger margin for error.

This next is a guess, but if curling is like most other sports. There are many more men players and so the top of the men's fields has more class players.

In any case now that their strategy is so good I now enjoy watching the women's game as much as the men's. It's also great for curling that so many countries have a legitimate shot at winning any event. Canada for example hasn't won a women's worlds since 2008.

That said Team Homan is in the process of separating themselves from the pack so far this year and may be in for one of those 'seasons to remember'. No doubt they'd like to finally win a world championship.

09-27-15 03:09PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
One of the biggest differences I see between men's and women's curling right now is consistency.

For reasons that are not clear the women's teams miss more elementary shots than the men.

Draws that need to be in front of the rings going right through the house. Draws that need to freeze to rocks behind the t-line coming up short.

On the run back game though the ladies have really caught up. Ditto on strategy. Compared to the Coleen Jones era it is night and day.

The best explanation I have that fits the facts is that the men's sweeping gives them a bigger margin for error.

This next is a guess, but if curling is like most other sports. There are many more men players and so the top of the men's fields has more class players.

In any case now that their strategy is so good I now enjoy watching the women's game as much as the men's. It's also great for curling that so many countries have a legitimate shot at winning any event. Canada for example hasn't won a women's worlds since 2008.

That said Team Homan is in the process of separating themselves from the pack so far this year and may be in for one of those 'seasons to remember'. No doubt they'd like to finally win a world championship.

That's an excellent point. I think you're probably right on both accounts.

In terms of strategy and shots it definitely is on par and I enjoy watching both equally.

And yes, worldwide there is so much parity and the gap is closing even further. Muirhead is a powerhouse on tour and dominant in Scotland, but there are some teams starting to get some footing there...well behind still, but getting footing. Same goes for Sidorova in Russia...there are other national squads but nobody is really able to challenge her yet...from what I read and see though, internally their goal is to get some depth and they are working on it. Outside of Russia she's a force to be reckoned with on tour now and is getting better each year. Switzerland is rich with teams...Feltscher, Paetz, and Tirinzoni...Sweden isn't far behind as Sigfridsson is still up there (for now) but Ostlund, Hasselborg, and Wrana are coming along. Can't forget about Kim from Korea, who is having a great year so far, and there are some quality rinks in China and Japan as well. Even in the USA the women are starting to come along, I think Roth and Sinclair are poised for good years, while Erika Brown has re-assembled her rink from Vancouver in 2010 and is out right now winning games as I type this...George isn't doing too bad either. All in all should make for a fun Worlds each year, and with the way things are going, I think the Olympics in 2018 are going to be awesome on the women's side.

Homan is most definitely poised to have a banner year. I sound like a broken record on here, but if they can keep this level of play up they are going to be tough for anyone to beat.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Last edited by Phil_D on 09-27-15 at 03:13PM

10-02-15 08:28AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Every Dog has its day

Team J Jones.. one of the greatest in Canadian history.. but time for some new champions across Canada.
Jen "is the weakest link" now ( age has a way of catching up) ..so the coming playoff season is going to be more interesting...

10-02-15 08:33AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

definitely feel like rachel will have a season very similar to mcewen lasdt year but there's going to be a hickup. either she will get to the scotties but wont win it or she will be upset in the ontario playdowns.

10-02-15 09:53AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
As far as Scott qualifiers are concerned I'd put the odds of appearing as follows:

HOMAN - 90%, some minor skirmishes with Middaugh, Flaxey, etc. but she'll emerge.

SWEETING - 75%, couple very good challengers for Val but she'll have no problem whatsoever if she's on top of her game; if she's a bit off then Chelsea Carey (who's the queen of erratic curling) might pull of a massive upset.

LAWTON - 65%, no more Sherry Anderson to calm things down. However, Stef still has best front end in Western Canada (other than JJ). Englot and a couple others could be pests.

McDONALD - 55%, easily the best team outside of Jennifer Jones in Manitoba; even though Kristy herself not known as a machine. Einarson, now Mickey Montford could provide resistance plus the usual veteran suspects - Spencer, Harvey, etc.

i do think rachel will get out of ontario but, like i said i think she's going to have a hickup. i dont know where but it'll happen somewhere. would be something if she failed to qualify for provincials..

think einarsson might get out of manitoba this year