Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Road to the Roar/Roar of the rings

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-09-17 02:38AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

It is of course early days yet but the Gordie Howe of Curling is 3-0 to start. As the ole saying goes you can't win the tournament on the front nine but you can lose it.

Team Howard leads their pool as the only undefeated squad. In the other pool Charlie Thomas is the only undefeated squad. Keeping that streak alive by the hair of their chiny-chin-chin. Taking a two in the tenth to tie it up and stealing the win in eleven over Team Menard. The loss dropped Menard to 2-2 and has gotta really hurt. But the boys have been through the wars many times many times before representing Quebec a kajillion times (11) and beating Glennie in a Brier final in what feels like a million years ago.(2006)

Being a native Quebecer, long time Howard fan and fellow geezer that would be my dream final as this is definitely the last kick at the Olympic can for the two of them. Plus Menard is the only team with a chance to carry the Quebec colours into the Trials.

Unfortunately the game has never really taken hold in my old home province. After Menard there might in fact be nobody so I'm hoping that Cinderella gets a chance to go to the ball before the whole province gets pumpkinized. Mind you Gushue has managed to top the world from a province that makes Quebec curling look like the 27 Yankees. So after Jean Michel I guess I'll have to root for everyone's favourite underdog the ole statistical anomaly.

Last edited by JB42 on 11-09-17 at 02:41AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-09-17 02:31PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

how do the tiebreakers work

11-09-17 08:30PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Team Howard stays undefeated going to 4-0. I gotta confess I really don't know how the playoffs work for this event. I'm guessing that three out of each pool make the playoffs. The top one getting a bye to the semi-final.

What a dream start for the Hall of Fame veteran. He is joined by Adam Spencer, the super spare is filling in for the injured Richard Hart. The second vice to fall prey to a career ending injury from Team Howard in the last couple of years.

Team Casey gave them a real run for their money but Team Howard's deuce efficiency has been stellar so far this tournament and Team Casey couldn't hang on to their lead.

There is an amazing 5 out of the 7 teams in Pool A that sit at 2-2 with only one team out of the running Team Bice who are still winless.

On the B side Team Thomas is trying to get to 4-0 and secure themselves a playoff spot taking on Team Simmons tonight. The rest of Pool B is still up in the air. Three losses can still make a tie-breaker so no one is yet eliminated. Gonna be an exciting final day of the pool round robins.

11-10-17 06:50AM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

If I am reading the standings an schedule correctly the Women's A pool could wind up in a 7 way tie at 3-3

11-10-17 08:15AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Playoff structure

Seems to be the top three make the playoffs. First game is 1 v 2 with the winner going to the qualifier final. Loser of that game plays 3 with the winner going back to challenge the 1 v2 winner from the other ladder for the qualifying spot.

11-10-17 08:24AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

playoff structure

Just checked...slightly different from above...team 1 from first pool plays team 2 from other pool first. winner to final, loser plays team 3 from first pool for a place in the semis. winner of the two winners of the 1 v2 game qualifies for the roar. Loser of that game plays the winner of the semis for the other spot.

11-10-17 08:28AM
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

playoff structure

Works out that the first and second place team have two chances to qualify. Third place has only one.

11-10-17 10:19AM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

I'm skeptical there will be multiple tie-breakers, saying that just playing double/triple knockout would make more sense for this tournament as it's trying to get 2 winners.

11-10-17 02:45PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Can someone remind me why the pre-trials are not a triple knock out? Must be rather disheartening to be out of it yet still have to play.

11-10-17 02:52PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

What happens when there is a 6 way tie? It's probably a favourite to happen .

11-10-17 02:59PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck
What happens when there is a 6 way tie? It's probably a favourite to happen .

7 way tie is possible if Fleury beats Tippin. The whole Women's Pool A could finish at 3-3.

11-11-17 09:16AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

huge loss for kerri. was the huge favorite to get through. however sherry was definitely up there with the contenders. hard luck they had to play each other so early

11-11-17 07:21PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Tied stones

So they just said that Rocque and Middaugh finished up an end with a stone each equidistant from the pin, thus cancelling each other out. That’s the first time I’ve seen that happen, and I’m wondering if anyone else has seen it before. And has it ever happened that more than 2 stones tied?

11-11-17 11:11PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

How did teams qualify for this spiel?

11-12-17 12:47AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

CTRS points earned over the 1 or combined 2 years. The formula used was a huge secret, they never divulged. Ever.

11-12-17 03:59AM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
CTRS points earned over the 1 or combined 2 years. The formula used was a huge secret, they never divulged. Ever.

Only they did. Always.
http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/

11-12-17 01:14PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
how long as cotter been shooting 3rd rocks ?

any reason given for the change ?

at the risk of wineing

- biggest game of 10 day event is played at 7am ish to accomodate tv - in front of 10 live relatives .....

I agree, TSN doesn't seem to understand scheduling very well. Morris switched positions after a few key losses. The switch seems to work for them.

11-12-17 03:53PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Down 8-3 with two ends left and the hammer with a free guard zone. A team has never scored three and then stolen two to force an extra end? I think you need to play until the opposition runs you out of rocks.

11-12-17 06:11PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

yay team Tippin...well played. None of the favourites made it through. Nice to see an under the radar team make it.

Saw Ali Flaxey & Eppings front end practicing at my club today. Meant to wish them luck but got involved in my Sunday morning game.

11-12-17 06:54PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

How have any of you not noticed how incredibly, ****ing stupid this format is?

John Morris just got a spot with a 5-3 record. If Glen Howard loses the B final he finishes 7-2 without a spot. And Botcher will go with a 5-4 record.

This is why you go with a triple or double knockout format. Or at least a RR with a page playoff. This is bar none, the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a crucial playdown event. And if you dont think this is wrong, you're a ****i g moron.

Last edited by jamcan on 11-12-17 at 07:00PM

11-12-17 08:30PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan John Morris just got a spot with a 5-3 record. If Glen Howard loses the B final he finishes 7-2 without a spot. And Botcher will go with a 5-4 record. This is why you go with a triple or double knockout format. Or at least a RR with a page playoff. This is bar none, the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a crucial playdown event.
Thanks for the summary. Agreed. Needs a rewrite.

11-12-17 09:57PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

stupid, stupid draw!

People must be all new or never curled before to set that draw up - even hard to follow.

Howard should never have been in that position.

11-12-17 10:33PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Should rename this event 'The Great Screwing Over'

Hopefully the CCA at least treated Howard and Thomas to dinner and a movie first...

11-13-17 10:12AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
stupid, stupid draw!

People must be all new or never curled before to set that draw up - even hard to follow.

Howard should never have been in that position.

The Brier and Scotties are going to be pretty much the same. Two pools of 7 teams with a playoff. A team could go 6-0 in their pool and not even get a medal, while another team could go 3-3 and win the whole thing.

11-13-17 03:48PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I agree the pools are dumb all done to accommodate the 3 territories. Which Curling Canada had to do for gov't funding and other reasons I supposed.

However, Glen getting into that mess in the 10th was a bit shocking. I myself prefer a triple knockout - faster with no tiebreakers. I guess you could get a "weak" team sneaking through but that or a full round robin is better than was done here.