Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-03-17 11:11PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Betting Lines

The Trials are getting close. It's time for pretend bets with an amateurish betting line.

Ladies first:

Roth 2 to 1 A very prestigious win in the Canad Inns at my favorite curling club in Portage, Manitoba. They sit an impressive 7th in the WCT YTD standings with 152.3 points. A good record of 22 wins and 13 losses from a very good schedule. They qualified in 3 out of 5 events.

Sinclair 2 to 1 co-favorite. They won The Shorty Jenkins. It wasn't the best Shorty field I've ever seen, but it's still The Shorty. The qualified in The Masters and in 4 of their 6 events while getting a record of 24-14. Sinclair sits 10th on the YTD leaderboard with 140.8 points.

Christensen 3 to 1. They've qualified in 3 of their 7 events included the semi-finals in Oakville and in Sweden. They are 19th on the YTD with 92.3 points and sport a 23-16 record.

I like Christensen to win this. As the Olympic Dream becomes very real, it will come down to keeping cool. I have faith in all three skips performing well; but I think, as a team, Christensen will be as cool as a well-oiled machine.

Ben Tucker (good luck to all)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-03-17 11:15PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

How an amateur does a Morning Line:

For the gals, there are 3 teams. That means the average odds should be 3 to 1...but that leaves no room for the bookie (me) to profit. So the total of the odds should be 9 (3 to 1 plus 3 to 1 plus 3 to 1). My line equals 7 (2 to 1 plus 2 to 1 plus 3 to 1). So I'm scamming y'all to the tune of around 20%.

Ben Tucker

11-03-17 11:55PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Men's Line

Shuster 1 to 1 even money favorite. They got 2nd at a decent spiel at the historic Granite in Winnipeg. They've qualified in half of their 6 events and that has them sitting a respectable 20th with a record of 31-23 against the toughest in the world. They qualified in a SLAM.

Clark 4 to 1. This is the value bet of the week. They've qualified in an impressive 4 out of 5 events. They are the unfunded 2nd place USA team on the WCT leaderboard with 82.8 points and that's good for the 23rd spot. The schedule isn't as tough as Shuster's, but their 22-9 record is righteous and they only trail Shuster by 3 points and that's with one less event.

McCormick 3 to 1. What can I say? Sometimes Heater can really play and sometimes...well...sometimes it's just confusing. They only qualified in 2 of 6 events, but they do sport a respectable 23-15 record for 63.4 points (good for 28th). They made the semis in the Stu Sells and won the St. Paul spiel (not the toughest of events). I fear that the team is better with Richie R on the ice and that might make for some trouble with the dynamics.

Brown 6 to 1 They don't really have a signature weekend to point at to say that they are ready to roll, but they did qualify in 3 of their 5 events and sit a respectable 38th with 46.2 points. They do, however, have a losing record of 13-17 (granted; against very good competition).

Birr 8 to 1 They have qualified in 2 of their 3 events, but their record is only 8-9 and they haven't been playing in the tougher events. Maybe they miss Richie and maybe Clawson will jell into the team at just the right time. A scant 25.2 points for 70th place gives them the look of an outsider in this event, but don't forget last year's Nationals.

5 teams so the line should total 25 and this line totals 23, so I'm only robbing you of 8% which is extremely generous of me.

I really wanted to lower Face from 1/1 down to 4/5 so I could quote the famous bettors axiom: There is not a man alive who can feed his family getting 4 to 5 (don't play odds-on favorites). In fact, let's do that. Shuster is now 4 to 5.

Most of you know me and you know that I seldom "chalk out" with a boring pick of the favorite. I don't want to disappoint you.

I'm picking Heater. If FaceTeam loses, you need to consider which of these other four teams are most likely to beat them. I think McCormick is that team. They have the dynamic skip and a solid front end. I don't know how or if they plan to use Richie, but I'm not sure that I care. Maybe he's simply an extra cannon they can use if things aren't going well. Whatever. I'm going with flash over solid play. I'll take my chances.

Good luck to all. I know that sounds trite, but I mean it. Lots of really nice guys and really good players in this field.

Ben Tucker

11-05-17 11:33AM
OrangeKing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OrangeKing Click here to Send OrangeKing a Private Message Find more posts by OrangeKing Add OrangeKing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OrangeKing
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
How an amateur does a Morning Line:

For the gals, there are 3 teams. That means the average odds should be 3 to 1...but that leaves no room for the bookie (me) to profit. So the total of the odds should be 9 (3 to 1 plus 3 to 1 plus 3 to 1). My line equals 7 (2 to 1 plus 2 to 1 plus 3 to 1). So I'm scamming y'all to the tune of around 20%.

Ben Tucker

The way odds are normally expressed in sports betting, you've actually scammed yourself as the bookie, haha. "2 to 1" would mean that if I bet $1, I'd win $2, and get my dollar back (when you bet on sports, it's not like putting a coin in a slot machine where that wager is lost forever).

If a bettor were to bet $1 on all three teams, they would break even if Sinclair or Roth won, and make a profit of $1 if Christensen won!

11-05-17 08:51PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oops. I need to redo my math. The line is temporarily closed.

It's not like too many are rushing to the windows here. #curlingdeadzone?

Ben Tucker

11-06-17 09:03AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I think the final will be Shuster v Birr...I think Shuster takes it.

I'm also putting my marker down on a medal at the olympics for them as well.

11-06-17 10:08AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Oops. I need to redo my math. The line is temporarily closed.

It's not like too many are rushing to the windows here. #curlingdeadzone?

Ben Tucker

Wait, I bet $1 total on each of three teams and I break even on a $2 payout (Roth and Sinclair) and make a $1 on the $3?

Roth and Sinclair battle to the end but Roth prevails.

Shuster wins the men's, my upset pick is Clark.

11-07-17 10:49AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

With these lines, I'll take Clark and Sinclair.

11-07-17 03:19PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Odds...

What are the odds that Tuck makes an appearance at the Baxter Arena?

11-07-17 11:06PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The forecast for Omaha is seasonably warm with a 10% chance of light rain and an 80% chance of Tuck.

You've been warned.

11-07-17 11:12PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

For those wagering on Birr, they did qualify in a good Winnipeg spiel last weekend through the B bracket. It was nice to see. Also nice to see was Pete Fenson qualifying in that spiel through the A.

Has anybody heard how that spiel ended up?

Ben Tucker

11-08-17 11:28AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
For those wagering on Birr, they did qualify in a good Winnipeg spiel last weekend through the B bracket. It was nice to see. Also nice to see was Pete Fenson qualifying in that spiel through the A.

Has anybody heard how that spiel ended up?

Ben Tucker

Obviously the ice melted after or during the QF draw. There is nothing on any site. text Pete and see what happened for the rest of us.

11-08-17 01:38PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Birr and Fenson both qualified; but both lost in the quarter-finals.

Ben Tucker (I tell you people who is going to win and then you post picks that have other teams. Come on, now.)

11-09-17 09:29AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
(I tell you people who is going to win and then you post picks that have other teams. Come on, now.)

Nuttin personal, but over the years, that's proven to be the smart call :p

11-09-17 06:44PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

HA! I'm something like 8 for the last 10 in Women's and I've hit the last 2 in Men's. I had the cold exacta (not boxed) in Women's last year.

Fine. Let the disrespect rain down upon my uncovered head. Go ahead with your silly picks. Just note that the new lines are draconian and I'll probably make enough to retire:

Sinclair 1 to 1
Roth 1 to 1
Christensen 2 to 1

Shuster 4 to 5
Clark 3 to 1
McCormick 3 to 1
Brown 5 to 1
Birr 5 to 1

HA! Not finding value in those odds? Too bad. It's not like I have any competition for you to take your money to for your losing picks. HA!

OK, just kidding around.

Ben Tucker (look for me in crowd on Monday and Tuesday 11am local time draws...don't even pretend that you won't be watching at work...we know you watch at work)