Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-19-15 12:15PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

World Seniors/Doubles

By the way, we got totally doinked in the pools...particularly in Mixed Doubles. Pool Of Death for all three of our teams.

WCF site to follow along, but following along when it's on the other side of the globe has never been our forte.

Senior Men are at 2-0
Senior Women at 1-0
Doubles are at 2-0

It could be a great week for USA curling. Now we need to pay some attention. Be sure to cheer for the very young Team Cute As Kittens mixed doubles team.

Ben Tucker
planting and horses and curling and fatherhood is a lot to handle at one time

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-19-15 11:41PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

All of our teams combined have yet to lose a match to this point.....and aside from Tuck, nothing. Tumbleweeds. Anybody watching out there? Anybody care?

04-20-15 12:14AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I'm passively following via the updates from tuck and USA Curling on Twitter. Not watching any matches or anything though.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-20-15 07:56AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Team USA mixed doubles will be shown on the WCF youtube channel this morning at 9am EDT.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldC...re=sub_widget_1

04-20-15 08:00AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

USA now a combined 8-0.

04-20-15 08:41AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Re: World Seniors/Doubles

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
By the way, we got totally doinked in the pools...particularly in Mixed Doubles. Pool Of Death for all three of our teams.

WCF site to follow along, but following along when it's on the other side of the globe has never been our forte.

Senior Men are at 2-0
Senior Women at 1-0
Doubles are at 2-0

It could be a great week for USA curling. Now we need to pay some attention. Be sure to cheer for the very young Team Cute As Kittens mixed doubles team.

Ben Tucker
planting and horses and curling and fatherhood is a lot to handle at one time

I don't quite agree that the US Mixed Doubles team is in the Pool of Death. I guess I'm not as familiar with who the "powerhouses" of mixed doubles are, but the usual suspects (Canada, Sweden, Norway, Scotland, China) are not in their pool. You have the Swiss and the Russians which may be the biggest challenges, and maybe Denmark. Also, Hungary (2014 gold) is not in their pool. Feeling pretty good about the US placement. If they can get by Russia today, that'll be a pretty good win. Overall it doesn't seem like any pool is quite a pool of death, they seem somewhat balanced.

Sidenote: It's kind of hard to keep up with mixed doubles when it's not posted on Curling Zone and the event website isn't the easiest to navigate to look up results beyond ythe win/loss record. Having to look up who they played, scores, etc. is a pain as you have to click through each draw to find what you want.

04-20-15 09:52AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They play 8 ends in Mixed, right? At least, that's the assumption I'm working on since they're taking their halftime break currently, having just finished 4 ends (US down 4-2)

Kinda weird that the WCF youtube graphics package is set up for a 10 end game...I guess it costs more to build a second scoreboard graphic?

Also...*WOW* this building looks white and austere without all of the Olympic graphics all over the walls...

04-20-15 10:59AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
All of our teams combined have yet to lose a match to this point.....and aside from Tuck, nothing. Tumbleweeds. Anybody watching out there? Anybody care?

Am keeping up via the Senior Worlds WCF site as we are friends with various players (Team England, Team Scotland, and Team Switzerland). Would be nice if CZ had both Seniors and Mixed Doubles on the scoreboard at least *cough cough*.

04-20-15 02:58PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, Pool Of Death.

Russia curling in Russia will be very good. This Japan team is very good. The Danish brother/sister team is very, very good. If you look at results over the years, the Swiss have owned this event.

Cute As Kittens lost a Mixed Doubles game, so the USA combined is now at 8-1. Bring in the subs?

Ben Tucker

04-20-15 07:19PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

A blog direct from the Irish Sr Men is on the homepage of the ICA.

http://www.irish-curling.org/

Erin go braugh.

04-20-15 07:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Yeah, Pool Of Death.

Russia curling in Russia will be very good. This Japan team is very good. The Danish brother/sister team is very, very good. If you look at results over the years, the Swiss have owned this event.

Cute As Kittens lost a Mixed Doubles game, so the USA combined is now at 8-1. Bring in the subs?

Ben Tucker

i dont think pfister and howald are as strong as a team as the suisse usually send. i wanted to say that at the start but i underestimated michele and reto gribi last year and look what happened. but what i have seen from switzerland so far is confirming my thought

I think japan, denmark, russia and united states will battle to get out. united states has to beat one of them . japan is probably the most likely.

04-20-15 08:45PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

Anybody watching? Please, mixed doubles? No thanks.

Anybody care? Maybe. But when the game is so hard to watch, it is really hard to care.

04-20-15 09:14PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

So you can't be bothered to care about a team representing the USA in an international event because you find it hard to watch? That's a nice attitude. Great way to support two young up-and-coming athletes in our country. I'm sure Sarah and Korey would just love to hear that.

04-20-15 11:18PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Yeah, Pool Of Death.

Ben Tucker

It must have been as difficult for you as it was for me to look for more detailed results. The US pair played Japan in their second match and won. Only loss to Russia. So they're still hanging in there.

04-21-15 10:58AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
So you can't be bothered to care about a team representing the USA in an international event because you find it hard to watch? That's a nice attitude. Great way to support two young up-and-coming athletes in our country. I'm sure Sarah and Korey would just love to hear that.

Sorry but I do not like mixed doubles. Do you care about every US team in an international event? Chess? Table tennis? Archery? Sailing? Fencing? Weightlifting? Dancing?
I know that Sarah and Korey are great people, but my guess is that they really do not care how I feel about mixed doubles. No doubt they understand better than you that not everybody cares about their sport.

04-21-15 02:21PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

I'm watching mixed doubles for the first time ever (FIN-ITA). Seems like an interesting way to learn to play down weight hits, angles, and keep rocks in play. If the skip wasn't in the house it would be more interesting to watch the sweeping.

Are wheelchair athletes allowed to play competitively as well? It seems the minimal sweeping would make it a balanced playing field.

If anyone has a link to a well played game let me know. I have no idea if this game I am watching is indicative of the level of play.

04-21-15 03:37PM
thekiltedcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thekiltedcurler Click here to Send thekiltedcurler a Private Message Find more posts by thekiltedcurler Add thekiltedcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thekiltedcurler
Knee-Slider

You should be able to find finals/semi-finals from the past couple of mixed doubles world's on YouTube.

Even a 'well played' game will often see shooting percentages in the seventies (a product of less sweeping) which is one reason some folks don't like the format. It does force you to get draw weight dialed in and provides lots of opportunities to play finesse hits and heavy draws.

04-21-15 03:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

commentators have mentioned multiple times that in this format a shooting percentage in the 60's is playing well. in a normal format you shoot for 80's and 90's but the 60-70 range means you are playing a good game here.

i have seen some players in the 80's and 90's, moiseeva in the game against the US was 98% which is phenomenal

speaking of the US team in general..looks like the game against denmark will determine who gets out of the group directly

switzerland seems out of it right now, the need help

04-21-15 04:04PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

VAcurler: I think the Canada vs. Hungary game was a pretty good one. WCF YouTube LInk

The Russian team is making the freezes look pretty easy. In the 5th end of the USA vs Russia game you can see the importance of getting your first couple stones in good spots (i.e. not behind the tee).

04-21-15 05:34PM
Be The Stone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Be The Stone Click here to Send Be The Stone a Private Message Find more posts by Be The Stone Add Be The Stone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Be The Stone
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not sure if this article was posted in another forum:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/3...mpics-bet-on-it

The IOC President attended the venue this week. From what I have read, a decision on 2018 is expected soon and likely to pass. 16 teams. If they use existing WCF rules, that means 2 pools of 8, top 4 in each pool advance, quarters/semis/gold/bronze games.

This was a puzzling quote...

Its three sessions easily a day, she said of adding it between the three events per day in the mens and womens traditional four-player program at the Olympics."

Additional sessions during the Men's and Women's round robin games? Where is the time for this?

I watched some of the games this week and enjoyed them. The Scotland/Spain game was crazy! If it passes, be very curious how NBC will approach it. I think the best solution would be to start and finish before the regular Men's and Women's event. Many sports have preliminary rounds before the Opening Ceremony, and traditionally there is no curling opening weekend. If they mix and match in with the regular events, I think the rule differences will confuse many novice US viewers.

04-21-15 05:52PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Be The Stone

This was a puzzling quote...

Its three sessions easily a day, she said of adding it between the three events per day in the mens and womens traditional four-player program at the Olympics."

Additional sessions during the Men's and Women's round robin games? Where is the time for this?

If they mix and match in with the regular events, I think the rule differences will confuse many novice US viewers. [/B]

Agreed.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-21-15 06:18PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

From every recent quote from the WCF president, Mixed Doubles at the Korean Olympics is pretty much a done deal since more than 3-5 countries have dominated recent Mixed Doubles Worlds and IOC loves events with broad appeal in many countries which can use existing Olympic facilities. Since it hasn't as much sweeping or ends as Womens and Mens, will some older curlers come out of retirement and give it a go? Or will it be a junior HP deal as the USCA seems to be pushing? Or a Best-of-Team B from Mens and Womens?

04-21-15 06:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the ioc wants sports involved that many countries can compete in . it certainly helps this year that we are seeing turkey and estonia be competitive.

from that stand point its no surprising in the least this is virtally guaranteed.

but in that same regard its baffling why they ever git rid of wrestling but allow womens hockey to continue

Last edited by misty1 on 04-21-15 at 06:34PM

04-21-15 08:59PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Alice, I don't see any sign of the USCA "pushing" Junior curlers to play some Mixed Doubles. I do know that SOME of the HPP coaches did try to discourage some of the Juniors from playing...they considered it a distraction from the main objective (which has some logic to it).

It would make me SO happy to see some my friends get a medal at these Worlds. dbsdbs, if Sean snapped at you, it's because you needed snapping at (in my humble opinion). Yes, I don't like Mixed Doubles. Yes, Seniors is not Men's and Women's nor the Olympics. Still, phrasing things so it doesn't sound like you don't care a lick might have been better. You can a little bit. You're a little proud. Admit it. If team Cute As Kittens gets a medal, it will make you happy. Admit it.

Go Shields! Go Norma! Go Kittens!!! (and all of my friends and acquaintances)

Ben Tucker

04-21-15 09:24PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

A Mixed game takes about 90 minutes.

There are 6 hours between draws at the Olympics (so like 8AM, 2PM, 8PM).

Games take 2 1/2 hours give or take, so there's 3 1/2 hours in there.

Hour for ice prep and warmups, hour and 1/2 for the game, hour for ice prep before the next draw.

It fits, barely, but it fits.