Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > How To Restore Canadian Dominance To World Curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-13-15 04:26PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack

Talk about head in the sand.

Let's start with the last point, as I do kind of agree here, but only partially. I do wish Curling Canada do spend a bit of that money on advertising the sport in September... it makes some sense. But then the clubs need to make sure they have programs in place that can take in new curlers and make them feel welcome.

Many clubs do. More than a few do not.

And the club level is responsible for letting folks in their communities know about them and when they have open houses and the like. How they can do it... well there are some cheaper methods (sign boards outside the club, community service bulletins, a properly designed web site all come to mind). I think providing clubs resources and help to do this on-the-ground work might actually be more effective than throwing a pile of money into a tv advertising campaign.

Things as simple as a simple functional website and things like a Facebook and Twitter feed (or platforms like Instagram, Foursquare, Google+ and so on) are cheap and easy to set up. Yet many clubs completely fail in this area (shoot, I'd say the vast majority of clubs sucks at e-media)... and have no interest in bothering to learn.

Which leads me into the rest.

Clubs can afford to do a lot of things. It's just that they won't. It's a ****-poor excuse saying they can't afford to have a properly functional and maintained website in this day and age. Or have a least the basic e-media out there for your club.

And really, if your club is empty... why the heck do you not have some sort of novice league set up to bring in new curlers? You may have to discount the league slightly, bring in a bit of instruction and maybe not expect that the league is going to be full, but if you make a supportive environment for new curlers, you will attract interest. Don't just drop them into a "competitive" league as a lead and hope they stick around.

Come up with alternate formats for new people might help fill in spots here and there. A drop in league if you have a night that's not full might fill the other sheets and get some interest. Mixed doubles is another option. Using things like Groupon (and the like... I know clubs that have used SuocialShopper and WagJag) offering "coupons" for curling lessons or ice time is another idea.

Make it a place where new curlers of all types would feel welcome. Curling clubs often do a horrible job with immigrant Canadians, and we need to find ways to make them part of our community as well.

Curling clubs do need volunteers. But I've seen more than a few clubs that treat volunteers with new ideas as an annoyance rather than a help and they walk away. You want clubs to survive and thrive? Get away from the old school mentality of the way curling was, and find out ways to make it a sport for the now and the future.

And if a club can't adapt, or at least try... well, maybe they should shut down.

(Sorry for the rant, but I've heard some this before and I call bull****. Yes, some clubs are trying and are still suffering and they do deserve some help and support, but there are a lot clubs that have a certain mentality that do not want their private little club disturbed... and I have no tolerance for that.)

Nothing wrong with all the above. Good plan. Now, who is going to do it? Clubs run on volunteers. Mostly a few people stretched to the limit and with various skills. So were do you get the people to run all the above campaign?
Either you hire them (no money) or you???

Personally I favour not paying dues to OCA and use that money to hire a student to work on the program over the summer. Or OCA could get off it's butt and actually do something to warrant the dues. Whatever works! Just don't fill the room with suggestions and not a plan to implement them.

If someone is willing to put in the effort to try something I am in favour, even if I don't think it will work....bless them for trying!

I also agreed with your last bracketed statement 100%

Last edited by lolar3288 on 04-13-15 at 04:31PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-13-15 07:22PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I just dont get those people that say we should stop teams from coming to canada. I will say again that the fact that canada now has several teams that can compete with them instead of just 2 or 3 is a good thing, it means the sport is growing.

curling needs these teams to be able to compete with canada whether people on here think so or not.

overall canada collected more medals than any other country at worlds this year. it is the only country to win a medal in every discipline. as far as the cash tour goes..foreign teams only won 1 major event this year.

i dont see a problem

Exactly.

Better competition makes better rinks. It's circular...yes foreign teams will get better, but that's just more incentive for the Canadian rinks to stay on their toes and get even better themselves.

Do people want Canada to be like the USA? One of the biggest problems we've had being competitive outside of our own country is that most rinks rarely if ever travel outside of the country to play, and just get good at playing each other. Come worlds and the olympics every four years we struggle.

Yes, obviously the caliber of competitive curling is much higher in Canada, but complacency could still happen.

Besides, if you do hurt the European competition and weaken their rinks/programs it would just make olympic and world medals meaningless.

Call me crazy, but I think it means more to earn a medal than to beat up on a significantly weaker rink and hand yourself one.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-13-15 09:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
there are about 4 canadian teams that should relocate to France, Mecico, Monte Carlo, and Jamaica

I'm planning to relocate with my women's team to Botswana...

04-13-15 10:20PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Be Brave Curlerbroad,

Be Brave!

I think we get to curl in the Euro B, not sure where African countries qualify..,maybe Crystal Webster can be our 5th😁

04-14-15 09:46AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

gosh , wouldnt that be something if an african team ever did exist

04-14-15 11:02AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Right now there's only one dedicated curling rink in the Southern Hemisphere-in New Zealand. Australia is competing with hockey. The other problem with the Southern Hemisphere is the fact that their seasons are back-asswards. They have to qualify against Japan, China, Korea...leaving them at a distinct disadvantage.

I have a friend who curls in New Zealand and I had the temerity to suggest that Australia/New Zealand consider making curling a summer sport-it's too hot to be outside at that time of yeas anyway-with no competing summer sports they might-they might even be able to land a sponsor or two who are usually supporting rugby or AFL during the "winter".

The only reference to curling in Africa that I could find was from 30 years ago-in Ivory Coast.

http://thecurlingnews.com/2006/08/curling-in-africa/I wouls say that Aus/NZ are the only real

...and Brazil isn't nearly ready.

04-14-15 11:22AM
BurntheEdge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurntheEdge Click here to Send BurntheEdge a Private Message Find more posts by BurntheEdge Add BurntheEdge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurntheEdge
Hitting Paint

This is funny!
You guys think Norway gets all up in arms when they don't win at Cross country skiing, or Holland when they don't win at Speed skating.

Hell lets have a summit! That'll get us the answers for sure!

04-14-15 11:24AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Err....yes...they do...quite a lot actually...

04-14-15 04:35PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Just wondering...shouldn't it be Scotland that's getting all up in arms? Not only for curling, but also for golf!

04-14-15 06:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

The Scottish mens curling program to be sure. Murdoch and Ewen were yuk at worlds - didn't even warrant an invitation to GSOC.

Womens program under the direction of Eve Muirhead (there's a figurehead in charge but obviously a Wendy Morgan type) is still solid. Eve slumped significantly at worlds but recovered nicely at GSOC, machining off some very good teams to collect a hefty paycheque. . . . if Anna Sloan ratchets up her game a bit that team will be difficult to dislodge in womens curling. Prolly only Paetz will be able to confront Eve properly.

Scottish golf isn't bad. Roy the Boy (McIlroy) still the #1 or #1 rated golfer in the world and he's only 25. Mr. Doubtfire (Colin Montgomerie) making noise as a senior circuit golfer

isnt rory from ireland?

04-22-15 10:18AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
there are about 4 canadian teams that should relocate to France, Mecico, Monte Carlo, and Jamaica

Actually it's a good idea. Instead of sending coaches to other countries maybe a whole team (teams) could go. Let's say Howard goes to Peru and gets pay plus full funding (along with a passport) to represent Peru in the Olympics. Canada allows duel citizenship so he doesn't even have to move. Same for any number of other teams.

If we can get five or six other top teams to do the same thing, representing various countries that normally never have a chance at an Olympic medal, you can bet that these parachuted teams would probably own the podium with gold, silver and bronze. It would benefit them as they would be paid to do what they love with full funding. It would also give the chosen country a source of national pride!

Of course the team left over to represent Canada would probably not be good enough to make the metals but all the CCA brass would have their expense paid trip to the Olympics and after all, than is what really matters, right!

Sounds like a win/win to me!

Last edited by lolar3288 on 04-23-15 at 09:34AM

04-25-15 12:32PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

THE RESULTS ARE IN

I might as well start the ball rolling:

Congrats. to Lois & the Ladies for winning "Mature" Gold...

BUT

The Americans defeated Canada in the Men's Final

AND

The Norwegians defeated Canada to win the Mixed Doubles BRONZE...that's right, I said BRONZE!!!

The Mixed Doubles Gold was won by HUNGARY???
And believe it or not this isn't the first time the Hungarians have had the nerve to win Gold!

HEADS MUST ROLL!!!!!

What's wrong with Canadian Curling??? OUR game appears to be turning into an international spectacle and falling into the hands of Eastern Europe, the Americans and, believe it or not, the Kiwis! This is the second time in three years that New Zealand has stood on the Senior podium-we have to put a stop to it NOW!!! ( that's called a "wink"-draw your own conclusions)

04-25-15 04:26PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:

Let's play the game call nomination? I'll start: Mike McEwen, Brad Gushue, Chelsea Carey and Sarah Koltun.

Seriously, no. That's enough exporting our talent for a couple of years atleast.

04-27-15 08:44AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

We train them. We export them. Well at least they get a chance to curl with the support of the country they represent. If Canada is that stupid then Canadians get what they deserve.

For years all our best football and in some cases hockey players have gone to the US college/university system because unlike Canadian universities, they get real support and a better education to boot.

04-27-15 02:51PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
We train them. We export them. Well at least they get a chance to curl with the support of the country they represent. If Canada is that stupid then Canadians get what they deserve.

For years all our best football and in some cases hockey players have gone to the US college/university system because unlike Canadian universities, they get real support and a better education to boot.

In the case of Canadian students who go to US universities, I might take issue with the second half of your statement. How many freshmen #1 basketball draft picks do you think will get their degree?

04-28-15 10:16AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

Ok, that's pretty funny if you believe in this.

Plenty of examples on how well the college sports system in the US "supports" it's athletes. They may support their sports development, but only as long as they play and make money for their school. If they get an injury, they often get kicked to the curb.

And better education? That's a crock. Canadian universities are equivalent to US ones (with overall quality probably being better... even though they are plenty of very very good US schools). And the ability to get a participation degree (i.e., class credit for showing up) is not going to happen in Canada.

But we're getting off track again.

I would like to see Curling Canada do a bit more for the development of doubles curling, especially if it's going to be an Olympic sport. Not sure what steps need to be taken (maybe support more elite level doubles competitions?) but it's something they will need to work on.

04-29-15 01:11PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I haven't read through all the replies here, but I for one think this is much ado about nothing.

First of all, the sport would be boring (to us and to the rest of the world) if we won every time. Sports is only fun and exciting when you don't know who's going to win. It's nice to win a lot, but if you win every time then it's boring.

Keeping the competition down by keeping them out of our events and away from our coaches is ridiculous and happens in no other sport. We all end up with better and more exciting curling when our top atheletes are being pushed not just by each other, but also by top atheletes from other countries.

I never use to watch the worlds back in the days when Canada would win 3 out of 4 times. What was the point? Maybe I'd tune in to the final just to see if an upset was in the works, but other than that, no thanks. Now that there are 3 or 4 other teams in the running it's actually worth while to tune in.

This is actually the same phenomenon that happened in hockey over the last couple of decades. While we still expect to win gold at the world level it's far from a foregone conclusion with the USA, Russia, Sweden and even some of the other teams frequently putting together teams that can contend for gold.

04-29-15 01:23PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Deucey-speaking of hockey, look at women's hockey. It's strictly a two-horse (two-fillie?) race and is in danger of losing Olympic status.

04-29-15 01:50PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
I haven't read through all the replies here, but I for one think this is much ado about nothing.

First of all, the sport would be boring (to us and to the rest of the world) if we won every time. Sports is only fun and exciting when you don't know who's going to win. It's nice to win a lot, but if you win every time then it's boring.

Keeping the competition down by keeping them out of our events and away from our coaches is ridiculous and happens in no other sport. We all end up with better and more exciting curling when our top atheletes are being pushed not just by each other, but also by top atheletes from other countries.

I never use to watch the worlds back in the days when Canada would win 3 out of 4 times. What was the point? Maybe I'd tune in to the final just to see if an upset was in the works, but other than that, no thanks. Now that there are 3 or 4 other teams in the running it's actually worth while to tune in.

This is actually the same phenomenon that happened in hockey over the last couple of decades. While we still expect to win gold at the world level it's far from a foregone conclusion with the USA, Russia, Sweden and even some of the other teams frequently putting together teams that can contend for gold.

Bingo.

04-29-15 01:51PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Deucey-speaking of hockey, look at women's hockey. It's strictly a two-horse (two-fillie?) race and is in danger of losing Olympic status.

Yup.

05-05-15 11:29AM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

In the case of Canadian students who go to US universities, I might take issue with the second half of your statement. How many freshmen #1 basketball draft picks do you think will get their degree?

I played a few sports at a pretty high level in my youth, (national competitions).

I know of at least 5 guys that went to US Universities and ended up with degrees in everything from MBA's to Social Sciences.

As to Canadian Universities being on par....not even close.

We have nothing to compare with the likes of MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc, U. of T. is our best and it ties with Michigan out of the top 10!

Anyway back to curling, some Canadian Universities Sports Departments don't even support their Curling Teams which in Canada is a unforgiveable.