W: MCT Championships
M: WFG Jim Sullivan Curling Classic
W: WFG Jim Sullivan Curling Classic
M: USA U-21 Qualifier Portage
W: City of Perth Ladies International
W: GNCC Club Playdowns
: Peace River Cash Spiel
Mountain Time (MT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > ESPN3 2018--2019 Season

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-05-18 09:44AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

ESPN3 2018--2019 Season

Looks like ESPN3 has signed up for the 2018--2019 Season of Champions.

Those in the States are in for some good curling.

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-06-18 10:03AM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

At least we can watch Canadian curling since those of us without access to NBC sports can't actually watch curling in our own country.

Thanks NBC!

12-08-18 04:15PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Not sure I get the anger at NBC. I did a quick search and didn't find a provider that has ESPN but not NBCSN. If NBCSN is not in the package you have, that's a provider and customer decision. NBC would love to have NBCSN in basic cable on every system. And when it comes time to complain about your CATV prices, ESPN and the Disney owned channels are probably the most expensive per channel in your basic package.

Why does EPSN get a pat on the back for just streaming their sibling's content, when NBC Universal has put curling into their actual channel lineup on NBCSN and the Olympic channel.

Also, if your provider doesn't carry NBCSN, there are options in today's world. NBCSN is within just about anyone's reach, if they care enough to pay for it.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/wat...aying-cable-tv/

12-08-18 04:50PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

ESPN allows streaming with only an internet subscription. NBC does not. And you are right... people can watch curling if they want to pay for cable. I am definitely not interested in a cable subscription for access to one event, particularly when I can use a foreign VPN to get them if I really wanted to.

I just don't think NBC is helping our sport by limiting access for people to watch it online.

12-08-18 06:57PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Streaming ESPN without a CATV subscription is news to me. Where are you getting that service from? Does ESPN+ include curling?

12-08-18 08:15PM
gonzobob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gonzobob Click here to Send gonzobob a Private Message Find more posts by gonzobob Add gonzobob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gonzobob
Harvey Hacksmasher

From www.espn.com/watchespn/about

"Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers."

The "HERE" link doesn't work when I click it but it is a pretty long list of internet providers from what I can remember.

12-09-18 12:01AM
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm in DC. I have always been able to access ESPN online with only an internet account. That's all I know.

That's my issue with NBC. I get it. They pay for their coverage. It's dumbed down coverage and almost unwatchable to anyone who has heard of curling before, ut they pay for it. But curling is far from other televised sports. The following is poor at best. Restricting access is never going to help their cause until more people want to watch.

"I should sign up for cable so that I can watch curling".
- no one ever

12-09-18 03:21AM
Grat
Hitting Paint

Got it, it's basically a loophole that gets you ESPN3. Your provider includes ESPN in their basic tier, almost all of their customers have that tier, so instead of requiring a login they authorize ESPN3 for the whole IP range for the providers internet service. If you take your laptop into a coffee shop or try to use your cell phone ESPN3 probably won't work. They've decided the convenience for the large group of paying customer is more important than preventing the small subset of non-subscribers from accessing the content. It's a holdover from the days when CATV providers had almost no internet only customers.

I have, and know other people who have paid to stream the slams. Because you don't get enough eyeballs to pay for producing the curling broadcasts from advertising alone you need subscriber fees.

Consider yourself lucky to get ESPN online. NBC is getting curling to more viewers putting it on pay TV rather than ESPN is with streaming only, so I still have to put them in the lead for supporting curling in the US.