Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-04-15 11:48AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I agree but his boys are turning their backs on a ton of money for the skins!

Who is next team up for skins?

Would K-Mart come out of retirement to skip an all-star team?
ie. Mead at 3rd, Laing at 2nd, Howard or Stoughton at lead?

Dont act like its just glenn who wants it. They all do. Glenn wont be making them do anythin.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-04-15 11:59AM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

I'll wager that there is an underlying reason for this loss other than just bad curling or an upset. Either bad rocks or sub-standard ice conditions. I can understand Team Howard getting nipped in one A side game, but a blow out in another with all the marbles on the line. I don't think so.

01-04-15 12:29PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone have a report on the conditions in Gravenhurst? Team Howard may have just had a bad weekend. Don't be surprised if they decide to skip the provincials for the skins and focus on the Grand Slams instead.

They can still get the points & $$$$. Maybe KMart was smart in hanging up his broom this year. Gotta know when to say goodbye.

01-04-15 01:09PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

What do you expect Team Howard to do? Ask the Prime Minister for leniency? Parliamentary vote to give them an auto-berth?

no you moron. i expect them to decide on playing the challenge round. you are making it sound it sound like the only reason they would is if glen wanted to. you were talking stupid. whatever they decide to do it will be because they all want to. if they play the challenge round it will be a team decision not dictated by one guy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

01-04-15 01:14PM
Unregistered

quote:

The mindset has to be thus curlerbroad:

You weigh the benefits of the skins (purely financial gain) and auto-entries into the slams vs. dumping the skins money and having a go at a supposedly weak challenge round field.

If the challenge round is played at a facility known for great ice that should factor in. If its rough ice - why not give up the Brier dream (for now) and try to salvage a financially successful season?

thing is i think playing the brier means a lot to them even now. we'll see but im not sure glenn and team would voluntarily skip provincials for any reason. they havent exactly been lighting it up at the grand slams this season anyway so they'd be throwing away provincials for the slams but that could very easily backfire on them the way things are going this season.

you could still play the challenge round and the slams. the only thing they have to decide is if they want to play the skins game or not

01-04-15 01:14PM
Unregistered

quote:

The mindset has to be thus curlerbroad:

You weigh the benefits of the skins (purely financial gain) and auto-entries into the slams vs. dumping the skins money and having a go at a supposedly weak challenge round field.

If the challenge round is played at a facility known for great ice that should factor in. If its rough ice - why not give up the Brier dream (for now) and try to salvage a financially successful season?

thing is i think playing the brier means a lot to them even now. we'll see but im not sure glenn and team would voluntarily skip provincials for any reason. they havent exactly been lighting it up at the grand slams this season anyway so they'd be throwing away provincials for the slams but that could very easily backfire on them the way things are going this season.

you could still play the challenge round and the slams. the only thing they have to decide is if they want to play the skins game or not

01-04-15 02:04PM
kwaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwaz Click here to Send kwaz a Private Message Find more posts by kwaz Add kwaz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwaz
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
He's done. Just gave up 3. Is the ice/rocks questionable at this club or something? This result seems odd.

ice? rocks? Yes, let's take all the credit away from the Squires team and blame the ice and rocks. Were the teams playing on different sheets of ice perhaps...

01-04-15 02:16PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Does anyone have a report on the conditions in Gravenhurst? Team Howard may have just had a bad weekend. Don't be surprised if they decide to skip the provincials for the skins and focus on the Grand Slams instead.

They can still get the points & $$$$. Maybe KMart was smart in hanging up his broom this year. Gotta know when to say goodbye.

Ice curled a couple of inches, many places not at all from the hogline in. 8 foot and wider it 'fell', so negative curl.

As for draw, let me put it this way. In his game against Villard, Howard could draw full 12 foot for the win...or...throw a hit on a 12 foot biter way out on the wing. He had to be nose or low to win. High side, he goes to the extra.

He played the hit. Rock fell the whole way, he hit high side, and then lost in the extra.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.32.174.160

01-04-15 02:19PM
Unregistered

quote:

Ice curled a couple of inches, many places not at all from the hogline in. 8 foot and wider it 'fell', so negative curl.

As for draw, let me put it this way. In his game against Villard, Howard could draw full 12 foot for the win...or...throw a hit on a 12 foot biter way out on the wing. He had to be nose or low to win. High side, he goes to the extra.

He played the hit. Rock fell the whole way, he hit high side, and then lost in the extra.

well thats weird. why the hell did he play the hit then

01-04-15 02:25PM
Unregistered

quote:

well thats weird. why the hell did he play the hit then

Think.

He was essentially saying that he didn't know how to make the draw.

You can make your own conclusions on that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.32.174.160

01-04-15 02:39PM
Unregistered

quote:

please tell me that your "all-star team" is a joke. I refuse to believe that anyone could come up with such nonsense, even you ML.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.71.13

01-04-15 02:47PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kwaz

ice? rocks? Yes, let's take all the credit away from the Squires team and blame the ice and rocks. Were the teams playing on different sheets of ice perhaps...

From all reports..the ice was not precision ice. Falling, zero curl and questionable rocks and I don't think the OCA allows teams to match and choose rocks from other sheets ...unless they have changed that rule. I may stand corrected. Ice should curl, that's why they call it curling!I'd rather have rope burn than play on that crap.

This wasn't meant to be a slap against the Squires squad. Bravo for them. Come on though, do you really think Squires expected to walk over Howard in a B semi?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 23.29.208.52

01-04-15 03:04PM
Unregistered

quote:

Think.

He was essentially saying that he didn't know how to make the draw.

You can make your own conclusions on that.

how cluttered was the front?

the way you presented the situation the draw was simple

01-04-15 03:04PM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:

so sounds like it is the same as it was when I played intermediate regions there in 2012. ice was fast and we took just off edge of button to draw button in the draw off. Means you are playing the tap game more than drawing around.
Let's remember Squires is an Ontario jr champ (2013), plus Mapletoft is a world all-star from 2010 jrs plus both part of a stellar Laurier university curling program as is the rest of the team. Not slouches by any means. For that matter Villard has made Tankard before (2007) and was picked last that year and instead produced four wins finishing sixth in a 10-man field.

01-04-15 03:06PM
Unregistered

i mean its just not very often that you hear glenn howard choosing a hit over a draw for full 12

01-04-15 04:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Squires looks like he has this, up 3 without playing 10. Have to give this team its credit. Lost their opener in a tight one and then won 4 in a row and dispatched everyone pretty easily too.

01-04-15 05:24PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

If Howard passes on the skins, how the hell would Mead and Howard be able to play on an all star team????

Gravenhurst is very close to Howards home club, so you can bet the house that he knows the ice and rocks there. The OCA lets these smaller clubs host the regions but nobody from the organization seems to go and check out ice and rock conditions.

01-04-15 05:56PM
Gritsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gritsy Click here to Send Gritsy a Private Message Find more posts by Gritsy Add Gritsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gritsy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Looks like Howard is choosing Skins over CR

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...tory&soc_trk=tw

01-04-15 06:04PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Gravenhurst is very close to Howards home club, so you can bet the house that he knows the ice and rocks there. The OCA lets these smaller clubs host the regions but nobody from the organization seems to go and check out ice and rock conditions.

Agreed. For the most part the World & Ontario Curling Tour events are played on quality club ice or in arenas. It doesn't make any sense for a region to be played on ice that is patchy at best with little to no curl or falls. Is determining the provincial qualifiers this way really sending the teams most skilled to play well on fast, swingy arena ice? I don't think so. The Brier, Worlds, Trials, Canada Cup, and Olympics are decided on arena ice so why the heck don't they assign the regions (and challenge round) to clubs that have the facilities and ice techs who can replicate those conditions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 108.170.136.229

01-04-15 06:10PM
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]

From all reports..the ice was not precision ice. Falling, zero curl and questionable rocks...

Is reading the rocks and ice no longer a required skill?
Cory Heggestad, former Canadian Mixed Champion (with Greg Balsdon) seemed to do okay. He won the A side of Region 3 for those who don't know.
Maybe Howard has gotten a little to use playing in nothing but perfect conditions.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.71.72.42

01-04-15 06:21PM
tocurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tocurl Click here to Send tocurl a Private Message Find more posts by tocurl Add tocurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tocurl
Knee-Slider

lets not forget the way to Provincials is to win curling games.We are all bound by what clubs will host these events for FREE other than food and bar revenue which the teams now just play and run to rest, eat elsewhere than the host club. Secondly by providing CTRS spots you are rewarding teams that have sponsor which is good but also puts the other 90% of the Ontario teams at a disadvantage from the start. I once read in a curling book that on that one Fall day every curler in Canada starts the Road to the Brier at the same level.

01-04-15 06:21PM
Unregistered

wow. i thought that provincials ment more then the lure of money to them but i was wrong

just a side question: has team balsdon played anything this year?. i dont remember them showing up anywhere after the stu tells tankard. seems like a very strange choice to play just 1 event and nothing going into provincials if thats the case

01-04-15 06:34PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
wow. i thought that provincials ment more then the lure of money to them but i was wrong

Yes, you were wrong. If you remember a few years back, a few of the top teams boycotted the Brier. The reason..... cash.

01-04-15 06:47PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Yes, you were wrong. If you remember a few years back, a few of the top teams boycotted the Brier. The reason..... cash.

And I think we still won a few World Championships during that period.
You should qualify by winning games.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.71.72.42

01-04-15 06:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I have heard from ancient curlers that adapting to any & all ice conditions is part of the skill set...maybe team Howard had an off weekend. Maybe glen misses Wayne more than we realize?