Like CurlingZone on Facebook
 
 
   
Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Support Our Troops
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AlanMacNeill
Drawmaster

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 865

Olympic Qualifying Draw Set

So...the draw and procedures for the Olympic Qualifier are set.

8 men's teams, single round robin, top 3 playoff for the two spots....1v2 with winner in, loser of that against 3 to get in.

So...it pays to be in the top 2, to have two chances to qualify.

The US Schedule (all times Germany, GMT+1, if I am reading this right):

Dec 10 16:00 CZE
Dec 11 08:00 NZL
16:00 FRA
Dec 12 09:00 GER
19:00 JPN
Dec 13 12:00 KOR
20:00 FIN
Dec 14 20:00 Men 1 v Men 2 (winner qualifies)
Dec 15 12:30 Loser ov 1v2 v Men 3 (winner qualifies)

So...5-2 will definitely qualify for top 3, 4-3 might depending on tiebreakers....let's take a look:

I see wins against NZL, KOR, CZE, and FIN....GER will be tough, JPN I have no read on, nor FRA.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-13 05:35PM
AlanMacNeill is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Oct 2002
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1611

hope to see a cybercast of this

__________________
Visit The AKCA Website!!!
http://www.curlaksarben.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-13 09:11PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: US - CT
Posts: 1415

Tim, I think the WCF would be webcasting. Of course that could lead to the problem of geo-block.

Hard to judge without knowing what the teams will be, especially Germany and France. NZL and CZE are no longer automatic. I expect FIN will be a young team unless Markku decides to take one more kick at the can.

JH
the US is approaching the free spot on the bingo card (no offense to my friends)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-13 06:13PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Registered: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 433

CZE will almost certainly be Jiri Snitil. Very far from an easy mark as they beat USA, Canada, and Norway at worlds.

FIN is a toss up. Aku Kauste is an obvious choice since he got Finland back to the A Group at Europeans, and from there to Worlds. I know Markku is back to playing again, no idea if he's anywhere near his Torino Olympics form again. I doubt it.

FRA will probably be Thomas Dufour, because who else do they have? He can be hot or cold, there's never any telling. Had an awful Europeans, missing Worlds and barely missing relegation to the B Group.

GER is in a tailspin since the Kapp brothers retired. Andy Lang has been the skip by default and hasn't had good results. His team fared poorly enough at Europeans to relegate Germany to the B Group and miss Worlds entirely.

JPN will likely be Yusuke Morozumi, who didn't do well at worlds but the few wins they had were against quality teams. If the pressure gets to them they will not be a factor, I think.

KOR, I can't venture a guess on. No idea who even plays for them now.

NZL really only has one team, skipped by Peter De Boer with Sean Becker at third. They had a fantastic worlds in Switzerland, reaching a tiebreaker, but then failed to get to worlds at all the next season. Geography limits how much this team can play, so they are kind of a question mark.

The one and only team I can comfortably say will get through out of the above is Czech Republic. They've played enough together and have beaten enough good teams that I think they will do well here. I honestly have a hard time not seeing whatever USA team qualify, but it won't be a cakewalk. Whoever wins the Trials has to take each and every opponent seriously. That said, I'd be shocked if they win fewer than five of these games.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-13 07:34PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 744

Re: Olympic Qualifying Draw Set

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
So...the draw and procedures for the Olympic Qualifier are set.

8 men's teams, single round robin, top 3 playoff for the two spots....1v2 with winner in, loser of that against 3 to get in.

So...it pays to be in the top 2, to have two chances to qualify.

The US Schedule (all times Germany, GMT+1, if I am reading this right):

Dec 10 16:00 CZE
Dec 11 08:00 NZL
16:00 FRA
Dec 12 09:00 GER
19:00 JPN
Dec 13 12:00 KOR
20:00 FIN
Dec 14 20:00 Men 1 v Men 2 (winner qualifies)
Dec 15 12:30 Loser ov 1v2 v Men 3 (winner qualifies)

So...5-2 will definitely qualify for top 3, 4-3 might depending on tiebreakers....let's take a look:

I see wins against NZL, KOR, CZE, and FIN....GER will be tough, JPN I have no read on, nor FRA.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-13 10:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 744

5-2 is not a guarantee. possibly 3 teams at 6-1

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-13 11:00PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Drawmaster

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 865

quote:
Originally posted by guido
5-2 is not a guarantee. possibly 3 teams at 6-1


True, however...

IF there are three teams at 6-1, then there are no other teams with better than a 4-3 record (because the three 6-1 teams went undefeated against the rest of the field, and 1-1 within their 3 set), so if there are 3 6-1 teams, then there is no 5-2 team.

I'm not really expecting that anyhow...I'm expecting a fairly straightforward ordering of the teams, 7-0, 6-1, 5-2, 4-3, 3-4, 2-5, 1-6, 0-7. Just because, from what I've seen, there's a pretty good strata here...there may be an upset or two, but I'm expecting "the chalk" to rule.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-13-13 09:56AM
AlanMacNeill is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: US - CT
Posts: 1415

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
CZE will almost certainly be Jiri Snitil. Very far from an easy mark as they beat USA, Canada, and Norway at worlds.

FIN is a toss up. Aku Kauste is an obvious choice since he got Finland back to the A Group at Europeans, and from there to Worlds. I know Markku is back to playing again, no idea if he's anywhere near his Torino Olympics form again. I doubt it.

FRA will probably be Thomas Dufour, because who else do they have? He can be hot or cold, there's never any telling. Had an awful Europeans, missing Worlds and barely missing relegation to the B Group.

GER is in a tailspin since the Kapp brothers retired. Andy Lang has been the skip by default and hasn't had good results. His team fared poorly enough at Europeans to relegate Germany to the B Group and miss Worlds entirely.

JPN will likely be Yusuke Morozumi, who didn't do well at worlds but the few wins they had were against quality teams. If the pressure gets to them they will not be a factor, I think.

KOR, I can't venture a guess on. No idea who even plays for them now.

NZL really only has one team, skipped by Peter De Boer with Sean Becker at third. They had a fantastic worlds in Switzerland, reaching a tiebreaker, but then failed to get to worlds at all the next season. Geography limits how much this team can play, so they are kind of a question mark.

The one and only team I can comfortably say will get through out of the above is Czech Republic. They've played enough together and have beaten enough good teams that I think they will do well here. I honestly have a hard time not seeing whatever USA team qualify, but it won't be a cakewalk. Whoever wins the Trials has to take each and every opponent seriously. That said, I'd be shocked if they win fewer than five of these games.



CZE will be tough, the Snitil brothers know how to play and if they get some shot making from the front end, look out.

Don't discount NZL. Their "season" is just winding up so they have had lots of time on the ice recently. With the new dedicated facility there, they could surprise anyone in this group.

France lost Angiboust (I think) so they are down at the bottom.

Finland - Markku does not need Torino form to finish at the top of this group. One of my all time favorite curlers, actually hope he does not play. Would certainly make this tougher for all.

I don't think anyone will go undefeated. Probably a clear one and two with possibly a TB for three. The big unknown factor in all of this will be the quality of the ice and rocks. Straight ice will favor everyone except the US.

JH

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-13-13 02:00PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

Registered: Mar 2013
Location:
Posts: 120

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill


True, however...

IF there are three teams at 6-1, then there are no other teams with better than a 4-3 record (because the three 6-1 teams went undefeated against the rest of the field, and 1-1 within their 3 set), so if there are 3 6-1 teams, then there is no 5-2 team.

I'm not really expecting that anyhow...I'm expecting a fairly straightforward ordering of the teams, 7-0, 6-1, 5-2, 4-3, 3-4, 2-5, 1-6, 0-7. Just because, from what I've seen, there's a pretty good strata here...there may be an upset or two, but I'm expecting "the chalk" to rule.




So, Guido. 5-2 is a guarantee.

Last edited by Oly M. Pics on 08-13-13 at 08:29PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-13-13 04:03PM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Drawmaster

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 865

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

I don't think anyone will go undefeated. Probably a clear one and two with possibly a TB for three. The big unknown factor in all of this will be the quality of the ice and rocks. Straight ice will favor everyone except the US.



Does the WCF have "Championship Rocks" like the USCA (and CCA, I believe) does? And if so...will they be being used for this competition?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-13 08:50AM
AlanMacNeill is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 4788

Playing the germans in germany might be an entirely different proposition all together. I agree they have been in a downward spiral since andy retired..which is shocking because because that lineup is pretty talented and herberg and lang both have skipping experience

This is how id rate them going in:

1. czezh republic
2. united states
3. france
4. new zealand
5. germany
6. japan
7. finland
8. korea

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-13 01:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3831

Andy Lang announced his retirement prior to last year's German Championships in February.

__________________
CurlingZone
Everything...Curling!

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-13 03:27AM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 4788

Maybe they can lure sebastian stock out of retirement and him and herberg can hook up again

For whatever reason that lineup just isnt working without andy..maybe chemistry is an issue?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-13 09:47AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Registered: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 433

So the Kapp brothers are retired....Stock is retired....now Lang is retired too?? Who the heck is left? Herberg?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-13 08:57PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3831

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
So the Kapp brothers are retired....Stock is retired....now Lang is retired too?? Who the heck is left? Herberg?


Johnny Jahr who played in the Worlds in 2012, and won the 2013 German Championships is the most likely team.
http://www.worldcurl.com/oom/teams.php?teamid=61607

__________________
CurlingZone
Everything...Curling!

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-13 06:11PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is . Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:
Rate This Thread:

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Scotties Tournament of Hearts
Northwest Territories vs. Canada
Tue, Feb 21 -- 9:30am ET
TSN: Click Here for Details

Scotties Tournament of Hearts
Northwest Territories vs. Canada
Streaming: Watch Live Now!

Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Click Event to Show Scoreboard
W: Scottish Curling Championships
W: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
M: Scottish Curling Championships
M: World Junior Men's Championship
W: World Junior Women's Championship
M: USA Men's National Curling Championship
W: Scotties Pre-Qualifier
W: USA Women's National Curling Championship
W: Swiss Curling Championship
M: Swiss Curling Championship
M: CCT Slovakia Mixed Doubles Curling Cup
J: New Brunswick Simms Home Hardware U18 Men
J: New Brunswick Simms Home Hardware U18 Women
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

MOST RECENT CZ FORUM POSTS

Playdowns
Tsn
U.S.A. Curling
2017 Nationals' Fallout
Playdowns
2017 Scotties Tournament of Hearts ( 1 2 3 4 )
U.S.A. Curling
World Juniors
U.S.A. Curling
Olympic Trials Team Selection
Playdowns
2017 Scotties tournament 002
Junior Curling
Need Junior Female Team - Ontario
U.S.A. Curling
2017 USA Curling Nationals ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
Rock Talk
Tournament of Hearts: 2017 Predictions ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
First ever U18 Canadian nationals
Rock Talk
Rate Curl Canada based on their objective
Rock Talk
Pre Qualifier ( 1 2 )
Playdowns
Switzerland Womens Championship
Rock Talk
Shannon and Heather ( 1 2 )
Ice and Ice Makers
Slanted Ice
Playdowns
2017 world junior curling championship
Manitoba Curling
Junior Curling overseas & Scotties - Canada starting Sat & all weekend - links
U.S.A. Curling
Curling in NY
Manitoba Curling
Fort Rouge Spring Mixed Bonspiel
Playdowns
2017 Playdowns ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
U.S.A. Curling
Bucks County Improvements
Rock Talk
BC PROVINCIALS on YouTube
Manitoba Curling
Viterra Championship - MB Mens - Feb 8-12/17, Portage ( 1 2 3 )
Manitoba Curling
I thought there was live curling on TV of Manitoba this weekend. Any live events?
Manitoba Curling
Manitoba shuffle 2017/2018
Ontario Curling
Banana Belt Bonspiel 2017
Rock Talk
Ontario Parasport Games
BC Curling
tv coverage in BC
Manitoba Curling
Curling on TV all day today Sportsnet 117 & Shaw 299 later for BC
Ontario Curling
OCA not giving out Banners
Playdowns
Only OCA could screw up this great event!
Rock Talk
Page plays itself out again ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
Wonder if
Playdowns
2017 ONT Provincials ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
Manitoba Curling
Manitoba Viterra Feb 8-12 Mens Provincials
Rock Talk
NEW! Curl With Math and Vera Pezer on Curling Legends Podcast
Rock Talk
Senior/Masters Bonspiel
U.S.A. Curling
2017 USA Curling Nationals Webcast Schedule
Rock Talk
Magnetic curling board
Rock Talk
TSN Skins Game: Banff ( 1 2 )
Ontario Curling
Curling Scholarship
Ice and Ice Makers
Arena ice preparation
U.S.A. Curling
Americas Challenge - Brazil vs Minnesota? ( 1 2 )
Women's Curling Tour
Looking for a team
Rock Talk
NOW AVAILABLE: Matt Baldwin, Part 2 on Episode 14 of Curling Legends Podcast
Playdowns
Midnight Tiebreaker ?
Playdowns
SaskTel Tankard
Rock Talk
Please consider helping us build a warmroom
Rock Talk
FGZ Question
Playdowns
Melissa Martin talks about Jones stunner
Post New Message  |  View All Forums

FANTASY PICK'EM

Player Photo
Murdoch, David
  Player Photo
Brewster, Tom
VIEW MATCHUP
February 21 -- 12:00 pm EST
Click to Pick the Winner!
Who do you think will win?

Follow CurlingZone on these networks:

Join CZ on Facebook!