Click Event to Show Scoreboard
W: Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic
M: Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic
W: Cape Cod Wheelchair Summerspiel
: Australian Mixed Curling Championship
M: Australian Mens Curling Championship
W: Australian Womens Curling Championship
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-25-18 02:24PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

2nd Friday teams playing one draw in the morning has the non playoff teams

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-25-18 03:04PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Next Friday.

01-25-18 04:49PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
And another draw on tv to make money

Is A8 v B8 on a Friday morning really a big sell on TV?

01-25-18 05:10PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

meaningless morning

Bulk commercial time is already sold for the full event. The same 7 commercials for one more draw.
All the gear set up and you've got the morning crew with nothing to do so why not show it. It'll be the only air time for most of those teams to get on tv

01-26-18 09:04AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Oh yes the same 7 commercials:

JJ with her 2 daughters with Brent's voice coming from above

Humptey's Senior day - but not in the GTA

Bickering couple using curling terms

Boring Scotties ads

01-26-18 09:30AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: meaningless morning

quote:
Bulk commercial time is already sold for the full event. The same 7 commercials for one more draw.
All the gear set up and you've got the morning crew with nothing to do so why not show it. It'll be the only air time for most of those teams to get on tv

I think the real question is why have those games for the eliminated teams at all?

01-26-18 12:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

The only thing I can think of is seeding the teams for next year

01-26-18 06:15PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
The only thing I can think of is seeding the teams for next year

I would think that is good bet. It also gives the bottom eight teams another game.

Here is something interesting. Since 1982 when Scott Paper (Kruger now) took over the sponsorship, the total wins by province (including the province as the winner when they were TC):

MB: 8 (2 skips)
Ont: 8 (4 skips)
NS: 7 (2 skips)
BC: 6 (5 skips)
SK: 4 (2 skips)
AB: 3 (3 skips)

The latter figure surprised me, three Scotties wins in the last 36 years for Alberta.

01-26-18 08:46PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Art, Alberta certainly did better in the pre-Scott/Kruger days. The only real superstar they've had in the last 25 years is Shannon Kleibrink and she had the total misfortune to play in the same era as Schmirler,Coco Jones, Jennifer Jones & Laliberte - now she's a bit of a shadow of her former self, still very good but no way can she stand up to Homan.

Heather Nedohin was gifted a Scotties title by JJ Jones and Cathy King pulled off one other - transplanted Manitoban Chels Carey the 3rd winner, Shannon K never won a title in all her years.

Now, the top Alberta teams are mostly under 30 - Val Sweeting, Casey Scheidegger, Kelsey Rocque. Val, with two STOH runner-ups in her resume seemed to be the next big shooter out of AB but her story is now steering into sadness. Scheidegger has as good a chance as any to be the next big one, all 4 players are exceptional shooters - whether lack of training and big game competition bites them in the back, who knows?

Alberta has the deepest group of female curlers - even deeper than Manitoba or Ontario but the results have been paltry. Wonder what the main attribution to this is?

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 01-26-18 at 10:00PM

01-26-18 09:01PM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

"Official thread for STOH"

Where were you when I was asking over and over for an updated schedule for the games? I have been posting what I can find over and over again because no one responded, now out of the blue there you are? Hope you stick around to carry the rest of the schedules because it is total crap trying to find anything that covers current unless a curler posts it. mycurling.com is so far out of date half the time but that was all I could find. I let a lot of people know so help me stay current gang, not at the last minute when we have missed some games. Thank you. Off my soundoff box now. Sheesh

01-26-18 09:09PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: "Official thread for STOH"

quote:
Originally posted by Lovemycurling
Where were you when I was asking over and over for an updated schedule for the games? I have been posting what I can find over and over again because no one responded, now out of the blue there you are? Hope you stick around to carry the rest of the schedules because it is total crap trying to find anything that covers current unless a curler posts it. mycurling.com is so far out of date half the time but that was all I could find. I let a lot of people know so help me stay current gang, not at the last minute when we have missed some games. Thank you. Off my soundoff box now. Sheesh

Google is our friend http://www.curling.ca/2018scotties/
and here http://www.curling.ca/championships/broadcast/

01-26-18 09:22PM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

Scotties

http://www.curling.ca/2018scotties/

This says on the face page that it starts January 27. today is the 26th

I had looked at everything I could find. Maybe it was finally updated. All I know is that I am tired of getting wrong information on these searches.

I have sounded off about not having full events on TV or streaming for 5 years on here. Finally we get full events and no one can seem to get a schedule out that gets anything right. If this site isn't going to keep us updated, please someone take the bull by the horns and do something. I am wearing out my fingers and my eyes trying to get the information to you. I am so tired of going through this every event. If the curlers themselves don't care, why should we as fans. The way the forums are set up it is hopeless unless you have all day to look to find anything.

01-26-18 09:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Russ!

First time with the big crowd? What? Compared to the drive through at tims in Moncton? Without family and friends there's 50 people in the crowd. Looks like Florida Panthers game

01-26-18 10:03PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

schedule

always look at who the broadcaster is and there home page.

I never look at a curling events site for TV, always look at the broadcasters page, as they will be the first to know what they are showing. As, I just went to get the link, TSN is also showing the game live on their site.

https://www.tsn.ca/2017-18-curling-...hedule-1.593081

01-26-18 10:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

I said this at home before the game started but i've been told you better post it ......final 7-4 Einarson

We'll see

01-27-18 12:24AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
I said this at home before the game started but i've been told you better post it ......final 7-4 Einarson

We'll see

Rare I'm right but small pat on the back
Einarson will make the playoffs

01-27-18 09:46AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Hitting Paint

Re: schedule

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
always look at who the broadcaster is and there home page.

I never look at a curling events site for TV, always look at the broadcasters page, as they will be the first to know what they are showing. As, I just went to get the link, TSN is also showing the game live on their site.

https://www.tsn.ca/2017-18-curling-...hedule-1.593081

Yes this sums it up perfectly. I don't look up all of the schedules for the curling on TV but for events like the Slams, Scotties and Brier it just takes a few clicks and then print it off.

01-27-18 10:26AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Now that Einarson has toppled the mighty Carey lets examine her STOH chances.

Not bad actually. Keep in mind this team doesn't have much of a training regime, no coach, little to no federal or provincial funding and haven't even brought a 5th player to Penticton (cost factor?).

But they're full of game, having some fun (intermixed with nervous moments) and fully capable of arriving in the final 4 mix next weekend.

Also keep in mind both Kerri & Carey were lambs to slaughter at their various provincial playdowns. Einarson didn't even make the final 4 where Jones eventually punished the super club curlers while Chelsea was manhandled by a very rough Alberta field.

Einarson has played very well on the circuit this year despite their anemic Manitoba Scotties performance. Perhaps, due to lack of training and no coaching - they needed the extra games to get into form.

Now, we'll find out!

01-27-18 11:59AM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

So this may be a bit off topic, but with a field of unknowns, which I think is going to make for a fun week, does this give hope to young curlers across Canada? Competitive teams are dwindling year over year and at some point, the small pool will lower the quality of play. In the US, women's curling is almost down to "sign up and go" for nationals. Your thoughts?

01-27-18 03:18PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
So this may be a bit off topic, but with a field of unknowns, which I think is going to make for a fun week, does this give hope to young curlers across Canada? Competitive teams are dwindling year over year and at some point, the small pool will lower the quality of play. In the US, women's curling is almost down to "sign up and go" for nationals. Your thoughts?

When the people in charge of the sport have decided to essentially 'Hockeyfy' curling in your country (ie; turn it into a coaching dominated sport) what do you expect?

Why even try when you can win your country's championship but be told you're not good enough to go to the worlds just because your team didn't have enough time and money to play tour events.

Even in Canada we have created an uneven playing field. Look at Einarson and Carey. Both got thumped in their respective provincial playdowns. But, by virtue of having big bucks they get a chance at a back-door pity berth they don't deserve.

Curling is quickly becoming a sport where talent isn't key, money is.

01-27-18 03:31PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom

This is far from a field of unknowns. Scheidigger was a rival of Homan and Lawes since junior days. So was Hollie Duncan (Nicol in those days) as well as being a CIS champion. Both these teams have been known for 15 years. Einarson has been on tour for years and made the playoffs in the Scotties two years ago. The Atlantic teams are all veterans. Curtis is a former junior champ, The NB and PEI teams have been to numerous Scotties. Arsenault has five Scotties wins and a young team here. Sherry Anderson is the national senior champ, but is here with a team not long out of junior, Van Osch had a great junior career and played in the 2014 Scotties. She is coming into her own in womens play. Fluery has been around for years following a stellar junior career, and was the first NO rep in 2015 before losing the last two provincial finals to McCarville. Obviously Jones is the veteran in the field, just missing her third. Galusha has played in multiple Scotties and is always a playoff contender. The junior Quebec team, Gagne, bodes well for the province, particularly after the runner up finish from another Quebec team in the national junior final last week. I believe that while the overall entries are down, the top has never been as deep in womens curling as it is now.

01-27-18 05:53PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think it's time to give up on the Nunavut idea. From what the commentators said, it sounds as if that team hasn't even played together before this tournament. If that is true then I don't think they should be involved in the national title tournament.

01-27-18 07:45PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Hot Shots

Love this new concept. Way to go Team Manitoba.

http://www.curling.ca/2018scotties/...-penticton-fan/

01-27-18 07:46PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
I think it's time to give up on the Nunavut idea. From what the commentators said, it sounds as if that team hasn't even played together before this tournament. If that is true then I don't think they should be involved in the national title tournament.
o

What CC couldn't fly them south to practice with their new skip? What a joke...have to agree with you.

01-27-18 08:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
o

What CC couldn't fly them south to practice with their new skip? What a joke...have to agree with you.

Was there any playdown in Nunavut or 3 people just call up a 4th player from Ontario and say hey want to go to the Scotties? That's the joke if it's true. Did they win with 3 against the other team and then make the call? I see the big picture with inclusion, however, does anyone see any growth in curling in Nunavut with only 3 players