Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (25): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thefish46
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

I think whats great is that when you look at the 4 teams who made the playoffs 3/4 of the skips were under 30 and 3 quarters of the scottish team was alsocomposed of youngsters.

the future of the sport shone brightly this past week

These young guys are the future of the game. Lets face it the Howards, Martins, Stoughtons are all getting a little long in the tooth. They may play a part in the next Olympics but the Koe's, Jacobs and other young teams are there at the top. The Game needs these young ones and hopefully it will encourage other young ones to go give it a try. I'm sure all the clubs in this country could use a boost.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-13 10:36PM
thefish46 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thefish46 Click here to Send thefish46 a Private Message Find more posts by thefish46 Add thefish46 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jacobs is still very young and his team has a virtual auto-berth in N. Ont, at least for the foreseeable future. Barring somebody going nuts on them in their region, they should be fixtures at the next 4 to 6 Briers. (Much like Gushue out of Nfld)

Virtue and Moskowy should be auto-berths out of Runnerville (Sask.) except the provincial ice conditions can get wild and woolly and who knows what comes out of where?

Can't see Stoughton going on much beyond the Olympic Trials (and Olympics if he manages to pull thru)....don't even think Jeff will go after the provincials if he's stuffed at Trials! (perhaps Mead will find a skip or skip himself if Jeff rides off into the sunset)

Cotter appears the only alternative current to BC curling, however I'm pretty sure he'll part ways with Gunner, as whatever BC sent to the Brier this year was NOT GOOD. (only great game they played was when they scared the bejeebers out of Stoughton on final draw)

Alberta is the quagmire of curling qualification with Martin, Koe struggling for control of the stick and Nedohin trying to somehow factor back in now that his Ferby Glory Days are done.

Few good teams in Ontario (should be more) if Howard hangs up the white belt. Epping, Rumsfeld, etc. I suspect Middaugh might return to skipping or Laing moves up. Who knows with that group of diabolical schemers.

Old Post 04-10-13 10:57PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thefish46
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

The field was as equal as it has been for a long time- reflected by 7-4 getting 1-2 page.
How do you explain Brads late week collapse?

I really don't think your being fair hear. All teams competing in the worlds were declared prior to Feb.16th the brier final was over March 10th I believe it's pretty hard to get up to win the Brier go home and not get much rest do to the celebration of the win that lasted a week, get back to practice for 10 days board a plane to Victoria and try and peek again. Other team at the worlds were declared early enough that they relaxed for a while after there wins and still come over and get in a couple of weekend cashspiels prior to the worlds. Give Team Canada credit they did us proud there day will come, maybe the CCA should move the Brier back a week or 2 it might give the team a chance to rewind.

Old Post 04-10-13 11:01PM
thefish46 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thefish46 Click here to Send thefish46 a Private Message Find more posts by thefish46 Add thefish46 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Few good teams in Ontario (should be more) if Howard hangs up the white belt. Epping, Rumsfeld, etc. I suspect Middaugh might return to skipping or Laing moves up. Who knows with that group of diabolical schemers.

Don't forget about Mark Kean. An up-and-coming young team with real promise. I see no reason why Glenn can't go on for the next 3-5 years plus. He's in good shape and should last at least as long as Russ did. I'd say longer considering the team in front of him. And I see no decline in his skills at this point. If he retires, I'd assume Middaugh would move to skip with the team bringing in a new third. Joe Frans perhaps? It would depend on the success of his team the next few seasons. It will be interesting.

Old Post 04-10-13 11:56PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by radiowave

Don't forget about Mark Kean. An up-and-coming young team with real promise. I see no reason why Glenn can't go on for the next 3-5 years plus. He's in good shape and should last at least as long as Russ did. I'd say longer considering the team in front of him. And I see no decline in his skills at this point. If he retires, I'd assume Middaugh would move to skip with the team bringing in a new third. Joe Frans perhaps? It would depend on the success of his team the next few seasons. It will be interesting.

Both Glen and Jeff Stoughton will have interesting decisions to make after the Trials end. Obviously, if they win they'll play a couple more cash spiels prior to the Olympics and then make further decisions based on their Olympic results. If they win, I can see Glen going thru one more year, mostly as Olympic champion, travelling the country, making more friends and trying to expand the game. If he loses, I can see his schedule diminishing to the point where he totally stops curling. If he was on our forum, I'm sure he'd say that everything depends on his motivation and of course, results. I really can't see Glen going another Olympic cycle, he'd be 55 or 56 at that point.

Same for Stoughton, but Jeff is far more mentally fragile than Howard (although he seldom shows it on the ice). If Jeff craps out at the Trials, I suspect that might be the last we see Jeff Stoughton curling at a meaningful event. He might have to fulfill certain cash spiel obligations but I suspect a decision to retire will trump everything else.

As for Martin, he's certainly shown more signs of deterioration than the more elderly men (Howard, Stoughton) but he's only 47 and I'm sure he wants to test his skills one more time at a Trials. This guy might be the greatest individual skip our country has ever produced and despite if you're not a fan you have to respect his great track record. An Olympic berth will certainly put him on a pedestal, unfamiliar to any other canadian curler. A win in Sochi will cement him as the "Wayne Gretzky" of curling. Team Kevin Martin is a business model more than a curling team. Even Olympic Gold might not be enough for K-Mart.

Old Post 04-11-13 12:14AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

Virtue and Moskowy should be auto-berths out of Runnerville (Sask.)

There you go again some curlers in there 20s make it to a Canadian championship and you assume they will be going back to the championship every year. Jim Cotter did not get to the brier this year like you said he was guaranteed too and you were willing to bet your life savings Erin Carmody and Gerri-Lynn Ramsay would be in the Scotties every year well they haven't since 2010

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.205.64

Old Post 04-11-13 08:15AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

There you go again some curlers in there 20s make it to a Canadian championship and you assume they will be going back to the championship every year. Jim Cotter did not get to the brier this year like you said he was guaranteed too and you were willing to bet your life savings Erin Carmody and Gerri-Lynn Ramsay would be in the Scotties every year well they haven't since 2010

Given historical date your argument is well-supported. However, remember not long ago Pat Simmons had a virtual auto-berth out of Sask. until he decided he wanted to win a Brier rather than compete in several and he jumped ship to become Koe's 3rd and chief chiropractor. Sask. has a bunch of teams who can toss runners, hence 'Runnerville' but lack teams of the Koe, Martin, Stoughton, McEwen, Epping, Howard, Menard, calibre.

As for the Annies of the Island (Carmody, Ramsay) I thought they could auto-berth out of PEI once Kathy O'Rourke retired. Was hopeful when they teamed up with the Alberta glamour-curler Webster but it doesn't seem to be working for them in Alberta. Suspect they'll continue on with Webster for next year as they're in a tight battle for a Trials spot. But there's no question Webster has to be better. Period. When you see someone like Kristi Moore come out of Alberta and realize Webster couldn't get by her (a 1-10 STOH team) then you know Webster's team is in trouble!

Old Post 04-11-13 08:29AM
Unregistered

quote:

However, remember not long ago Pat Simmons had a virtual auto-berth out of Sask.

Except for 2009 when Joel Jordison repped Sask and in 2010 when Darrell McKee repped Sask

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.20.51.134

Old Post 04-11-13 12:26PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I dont often agree with him but i kind of will this time. Virtue's team right now has the potential to really dominate saskatchewan in a similar fashion to the way simmons used to. Whether not that actually happens remains to be seen.

Old Post 04-11-13 12:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I dont often agree with him but i kind of will this time. Virtue's team right now has the potential to really dominate saskatchewan in a similar fashion to the way simmons used to. Whether not that actually happens remains to be seen.

Im not as convinced as you are Misty..I get that 3 of the members are not yet 28 but they were the 8th seed or something like that going into the Saskatchewan provicials and there just seems to be a combustible quality about them

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.20.51.134

Old Post 04-11-13 01:01PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Im not as convinced as you are Misty..I get that 3 of the members are not yet 28 but they were the 8th seed or something like that going into the Saskatchewan provicials and there just seems to be a combustible quality about them

Thats true but keep in mind that it was this team's first season together. When they finally did get going they were pretty impressive during playdowns and again at the brier they were pretty impressive, winning a respectable 5 games and they had a couple against Manitoba and New brunswick that they could have won.

True that there are some combustable personalities on the team..which is part of the reason(i think anyway)it took them so long to get going. If they can keep it together I really think the virtue rink is going to be amazing and will be the ones to end the Birer drought for Saskatchewan.There is just so much talent there

Old Post 04-11-13 03:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

バーバリー 大きい&am

Visitors to Holland, Michigan m ρay explore the area's "Bigneed not Red" Lighthous▂e, Capp}on H≥ ouse Mu∧ seum, Nelis' Dさutch navigatorsVillage aformer nflnd -Veldheer Tulip Gawhy,reasons whyrdens, or play at the Lost City Laser Tag Arena, Craig's Cruisers and Crazy Bounce. Ho lland offers shopping and dining, as well as lak﹤es for swimming, fishing and water sports. When planning a tr ǐip ⒖to Holland, consi〓der renting a condo instead of a standard hotel room. Condos [url=http://www.onlinestoreburberryoutlet.com]{マフラー バーバリー|バーバリー マフラー|burberry 時計|burberry 腕時計|バーバリー レディース|バーバリー ネクタイ|ネクタイ バーバリー|バーバリー 時計|バーバリー 店舗|burberry バッグ|バーバリー ショップ|バーバリー アウトレット|ベビー服 バーバリー|バーバリー マフラー|財布 burberry|burberry 財布|バーバリー ベビー|バーバリー ハンカチ|ハンカチ バーバリー|バーバリー ダウン|burberry コート|メンズ 財布 バーバリー|バーバリー 財布 メンズ|財布 バーバリー メンズ|バーバリー メンズ 財布|財布 メンズ バーバリー|burberry ネクタイ|バーバリー 服|スーツ バーバリー|バーバリー スーツ|burberry トレンチ|ベルト バーバリー|バーバリー ベルト|burberry メンズ|ジャケット バーバリー|バーバリー ジャケット|burberry ハンカチ|バーバリー black label|バーバリー コート|バーバリ

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.74.229.180

Old Post 04-12-13 11:40AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Thats true but keep in mind that it was this team's first season together. When they finally did get going they were pretty impressive during playdowns and again at the brier they were pretty impressive, winning a respectable 5 games and they had a couple against Manitoba and New brunswick that they could have won.

True that there are some combustable personalities on the team..which is part of the reason(i think anyway)it took them so long to get going. If they can keep it together I really think the virtue rink is going to be amazing and will be the ones to end the Birer drought for Saskatchewan.There is just so much talent there

I know Virch (Virtue) is a favourite of yours so I wasn't surprised you supported my theory. Another factor in his favour is that he is supported by one of the great up 'n coming curlers in Sask province, ie. Hec Gervais, Jr. aka Brandon Moskowy.

Simmons never had that kind of support at third. Virtue has it. Huge factor cuz I think Moskowy is almost ready to be a Brier level skip in his own right.

Old Post 04-12-13 07:31PM