Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-25-15 11:22AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I remember what one of the Satrom boys used to preach adnauseum: The "best" team wins Nationals about 80% of the time...but the "best" team finishes on top of the round robin about 97% of the time...we should just crown the winner of the round robin.

True, but we love our playoffs. They are compelling and we really love a Gold Medal Game. Two loss provisions? I understand the logic and the sentiment and the justice. Still, I'll stick with using nationally whatever format our teams will see at Worlds.

It's curling. Stuff happens. It also happens in every other sport. That seems to be part of sports' great allure. The drama and the naked display of the human spirit is not something to be tampered with lightly.

While I feel for Team Dropkin and while I concede that they did beat Team Meyers 2 out of 3 games, I'm not yet to a point where I'd give up what this format brings us in order to address any perceived injustices. For instance: Scared to roll the dice for our Olympic Trials, we shrunk the field and made the qualification process more demanding...then played a double round robin...then made "the finals" a best-two-out-of-three. Did that format take steps to ensure that we sent our best representatives? I really think that it did. But that format wasn't very compelling at all. I hated it.

Congrats to Team Meyers on changing your name to Team USA. Great final game. Best of luck at Worlds.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-25-15 12:01PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Tuck nails it. We certainly are not going back to naming the RR winner as the champ. The current format makes sense in part because of the allure of a single gold medal game and in part because that is format used at international events. We cannot change the format every time we perceive that the "wrong" team won. And like it or not, we need a format that will also appeal to curling fans and draw them to these events. The HP team had a very successful year and came within an eyelash of perhaps winning the junior title -- if Dropkin makes the double Meyers would still have had a shot to win but it would hardly have been a given. So kudos to team Meyers and kudos to team Dropkin. We will hear more from these guys in the future.

01-26-15 11:01AM
licurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for licurler Click here to Send licurler a Private Message Find more posts by licurler Add licurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
licurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Both teams have a bright future, regardless of who won the gold medal match. This is good for the future of US curling.

01-26-15 11:10AM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
didnt someone on here say that the HP teams get invited to the mens nationals or only if they won?

The HP teams are invited whether they win or lose at Junior Nationals. The winner of Junior Nationals is also invited. In this case, Meyers and Dropkin are both invited.

01-26-15 11:30AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

According the the USCA rules the Jr. Champs are required to play in Men's/Women's nationals:

"8. Junior World Team Preparation: To prepare for the World Junior Championships the winning teams are required to play in the subsequent Mens & Womens US National Championships"

Wondering which team Korey will play on in Kalamazoo since he is now the 5th on Meyer's team.

01-26-15 11:41AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

Wondering which team Korey will play on in Kalamazoo since he is now the 5th on Meyer's team.

IF it's anything other than on his own team, the USCA is letting him violate the rules...

He was declared as a player on a team for Nationals (Skip for his own rink). Other teams have, in the past, tried to substitute players because of emergencies or other reasons and been denied.

Dropkin had *better* be playing Skip on his HP team at Nationals, or he had better not be there at all, or the entire "we're not stacking the deck, we're just making sure they have access" argument will be proven completely false...as they'd be letting a player switch teams when others have been denied before.

01-26-15 11:54AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Interesting way to look at it. My thought was that Korey needs to start playing as 5th for Meyer's to best prepare that team for World's.

01-26-15 12:41PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

quote:
Interesting way to look at it. My thought was that Korey needs to start playing as 5th for Meyer's to best prepare that team for World's.

Wouldn't everyone be better off if he did NOT play as 5th for the Meyer's rink? Dressing and being there for support is one thing but to actually play in games kind of defeats the purpose of a team selecting its own players. Either the team is self-selected or its a HPP team (and is formed by the USCA).

Regardless, good luck to whichever team he is playing on.

Edited to add:
or am I just rehashing old the USCA decides who the 5th is going to be and he will be a backup skip issue?

Jason

Last edited by VAcurler on 01-26-15 at 12:47PM

01-26-15 12:52PM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Meyer's team is now under full HP program control. An HP coach will be their official team coach and the HP program has full control on all line up decisions.

If Meyer's team had gone into Nationals with 5 players registered the HP program would have kicked one of them off the team to insert their approved 5th player.

Sad but true.

01-26-15 12:53PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

You are rehashing Jason... but since you are far from the worst offender in the anti-HPP tirades, you won't hear about it from me. However, this is an interesting discussion since some of the scenarios here are actually in violation of the rules. I will be interested to hear how it plays out.

In other Junior news... I saw a first today... a score over 20! 21-3 Manitoba over Nunavut. http://www.curlingzone.com/game.php?1=1&gameid=156578

What I actually don't understand is why they were allowed to keep playing.

01-26-15 01:03PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Dropkin is the fifth for the Worlds. He would not be the registered fifth for Nationals. Yes, they have in place to add a fifth player who has the ability to skip at Worlds. Old news.

Starting a new thread for Nationals.

01-26-15 01:03PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

I hereby redact my uneducated comments after being reprimanded by my crazy cat lady friend. As penance I shall volunteer to sub in men's league next week when I visit PCC.

I didn't realize that by winning you become under full control of the HPP program.

Nonetheless, good luck to the Dropkin rink. If decorum allows for betting on junior teams playing in men's events I will take the odds.

Jason

01-26-15 01:11PM
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watch the crazy cat lady finger pointing! And I will see you in men's league if I can find a team to spare on.

01-26-15 01:11PM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

I guess that question has been answered:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...Qualified-Teams

Looks like Korey will be with the HP Team. Doesn't seem to me that this is the best way to prep Team USA for worlds.

01-26-15 01:25PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
I guess that question has been answered:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...Qualified-Teams

Looks like Korey will be with the HP Team. Doesn't seem to me that this is the best way to prep Team USA for worlds.

I don't quite agree. He'll be the 5th at worlds, I doubt he'll get much (if any) playing time at Worlds, unless the powers-that-be manipulate rules (yet again) and/or force that (which if I was one of the guys who had to sit out after rightfully winning at nationals, I would be quite upset). So I don't see how him being a 5th on the sidelines at nationals does much to prep Team USA for worlds. So why not play with his regular HP team at nationals, they'll probably do pretty decent.

01-26-15 02:48PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

This only makes sense. Not sure how sitting in the stands watching his Worlds teammates play is a good way to prep for Worlds.

01-26-15 02:52PM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

If Korey will be sitting on the bench at worlds he needs to start to figure out what he can do as fifth to help his team. Also I think it would help with general team chemistry if they spent the week together as a team.

If the HP program is already planning on playing Korey at Worlds they might as well start that now too so they have more time to get used to whatever lineup they'll be using.

01-26-15 03:35PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

The USA High Performance Program apparent strategies requiring non-HP national winners to have an all-positions qualified skip/fifth from the last year's HP team for worlds, not allowing winning team choice of the coach who helped them win nationals, and giving the HP staff total lineup discretion before and during games, "Good luck with that" while recalling the Vancouver Olympics' benchings, the Murdoch/Brewster mashup team at Sochi and this classic gem of "performance" coaching power over players:
http://skipcottagecurling.blogspot....ation-case.html

I followed last week the Pacific-Asian Junior playdowns for Junior Worlds. The Chinese teams rolled through the round robins on top and then lost by whiskers in the gold medal games to the Koreans for the single Junior Men and Women Worlds' slots for that region this year. The Koreans' comments on teamwork during the event on the event website are worth reading.

01-26-15 04:46PM
steveneger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveneger Find more posts by steveneger Add steveneger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveneger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Dropkins team played well (better than what I saw earlier) but were lucky to be undefeated in round robin play. They weren't dominating teams like an HPP (and as Tuck likes to point out a team with great showings at Canadian bonspiels) should have. Many of the games I watched the other teams were giving away points without Dropkin doing anything. The Meyers game was where it caught up to them and rightfully so. Good showing but not what I expect from the funded & coddled team.

01-26-15 05:49PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Pressure now on HPP decision makers?

Ethan Meyers win may force the HPP to say goodbye to some senior men this off season.

The HPP presently has 3 junior rinks to develop under Project 2018 (Dropkin, Meyers, Vukich). The core of the 2018 Olympic team will probably come from these teams so it would be surprising to see cuts here. Nice problem to have. Does that mean we can expect some members of men's A and B teams to lose financial HPP support?

01-26-15 06:53PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm loving the conversation. Mostly because I'm not part of it. However, one post has me itching to be snarky and make a feeble attempt at humor. I can't resist. Please try to see the humor:

IM went with, "He'll be the 5th at worlds, I doubt he'll get much (if any) playing time at Worlds, unless the powers-that-be manipulate rules (yet again) and/or force that (which if I was one of the guys who had to sit out after rightfully winning at nationals, I would be quite upset)."

Uuummm...dude...OK...where have been ever since the Vancouver Olympics? It's now an annual event at one of the Worlds.

See, it's kinda funny because it's kinda true. I'll be funnier next time. I promise.

Ben Tucker

01-26-15 08:27PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by steveneger
Dropkins team played well (better than what I saw earlier) but were lucky to be undefeated in round robin play. They weren't dominating teams like an HPP (and as Tuck likes to point out a team with great showings at Canadian bonspiels) should have. Many of the games I watched the other teams were giving away points without Dropkin doing anything. The Meyers game was where it caught up to them and rightfully so. Good showing but not what I expect from the funded & coddled team.

Not sure what you expect from Dropkin's team. They were undefeated in RR play, won every game save one by 4 points or more, and averaged over 5 points per game more than their opponents. Playing the same teams, Meyers won one game by only 1 rock and 2 other games by 2 points, and they averaged 2.5 points per game more than his opposition. The two teams scored roughly the same number of points in RR but Meyers gave up almost twice as many points as Dropkin. Dropkin had a very successful year leading up to Nationals and was in control of most games in the RR, yet you say they were lucky to be undefeated and it caught up with them in the finals "rightfully so"??? Yes, Dropkin's team was funded but calling them coddled suggests some animosity on your part -- not sure they deserve that.

01-26-15 11:56PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I'm loving the conversation. Mostly because I'm not part of it. However, one post has me itching to be snarky and make a feeble attempt at humor. I can't resist. Please try to see the humor:

IM went with, "He'll be the 5th at worlds, I doubt he'll get much (if any) playing time at Worlds, unless the powers-that-be manipulate rules (yet again) and/or force that (which if I was one of the guys who had to sit out after rightfully winning at nationals, I would be quite upset)."

Uuummm...dude...OK...where have been ever since the Vancouver Olympics? It's now an annual event at one of the Worlds.

See, it's kinda funny because it's kinda true. I'll be funnier next time. I promise.

Ben Tucker

Ha, good point. I guess in a "normal" national curling organization, that wouldn't happen. But I did say "unless the powers-that-be manipulate rules (yet again)...." Given the state of things, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen...