W: Tallinn Ladies International Challenger
W: Larry Jones Junior Classic
W: Hogline U18 Junior Womens Spiel
W: Southern Ontario Womens SuperSpiel Qualifier
W: Oakville Optimist U18 Junior Womens Bonspiel
M: Michael Izsak Memorial Junior Cash Spiel
M: NAVY Fall Classic Open Bonspiel
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-29-18 05:53PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
Hey lets cool it on the ML bashing, we all disagree with each other from time to time but without these posts we might as well shut this down. ML doesn't need my help, but I just think all the trash is unnescessary. Get back to observations of the event,

Trust me. ML can and usually does look after himself pretty well. He'll be coming on here shortly to call anyone who bashes him "trolls". He posts more nonsense than anyone. Moves players around like he's playing chess. lol. Don't worry about him. His skin is so thick nothing gets to him. I'm not being nice, I'm being honest.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-29-18 06:25PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
Hey lets cool it on the ML bashing, we all disagree with each other from time to time but without these posts we might as well shut this down. ML doesn't need my help, but I just think all the trash is unnescessary. Get back to observations of the event,

Last edited by CURLER1 on 01-29-18 at 06:30PM

01-29-18 06:32PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

really?

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Below are some very recent posts ( since Jan. 23rd ) about you M.L., Supreme Champion:

"He's a narcissistic, self-important, belittling moron."

"Years and years of this BS from this dumb ass from Manitoba."

"What the hell is ML babbling about? Wish someone at the nursing home would take away the channel changer..."

"I'd say that ML is (as usual) completely out to lunch."

"100% guarantee Manitoba idiot will continue to be an asshat."

"Legend has about as much real curling knowledge as the nail of my left toe."

"What the hell is wrong with you? Do you think before you say things or does that part of your brain not work?"

Based on these, I would have thought you could withstand just about about any personal attack. Apparently not. Better fasten your seat belt, sport.

Put him on ignore if you don't like his posts. This is for curling - not people bashing.
It added nothing to this thread. At least ML talk about curling, not people bashing.

Your little wheel on your mouse can help you scroll right past his posts too.

01-29-18 06:55PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I thought that was against the rules and 5ths/coaches can only come out during the time outs. But I do see interaction between ends but with the coach/5th staying on the bench.

Coaches are only allowed to talk to their team about strategy at the end of an end (teams have about 30 seconds (more time if they are the TV game) to start play or their clock will begin to run). During the end, I think what you are seeing is general chit chat or compliments on a nice shot.

This has been the process for years now.

01-29-18 07:49PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Terrible, terrible strategic decisions by Alberta in both the 8th and 9th ends.

What sense is there in guarding to steal one when you will still be two down without hammer going into the 10th?

Embarrassing.

01-29-18 07:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

good thing i chose to alter me quebec/BC prediction. newfoundland beating alberta.. i actually thought newfoundland would win in my gut but i went against it and went with alberta. should have trusted my instinct there and picked newfoundland.

oh well.

01-29-18 08:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

beautiful draw by robyn on her last to force ontario

01-29-18 08:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. terrible tough loss for pei. had that game all way and lost it on the last one. hard to see them qualifying for the championship pool now. ontario might get there but im just impressed at all with what i've seen from them so far. pretty lucky to be 2-2

Last edited by misty1 on 01-29-18 at 08:38PM

01-29-18 09:17PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
also definitely an in balance in the pools. wild card, manitoba, saskatchewan and northern ontario all have to go through each other before championship pool play. what dangerous teams does alberta have to worry about?. canada and newfoundland and they already beat canada

Frist my thoughts below were meant to be with a different post about carrying forward the records of teams after the preliminary round. I did not know how to change that.

I kind of get what you are saying but what would not be fair is to exclude any wins a teams gets in the preliminary round. Before the new format if a team lost 3 games early they better run the table the rest of the way. So with this new format these same teams that lost 3 games early and make the championship round should have to win all of their remaining games to make the playoffs. With the new watered down field thanks to this new format; you cannot punish team for a win against Nunavut. A win is a win and should be factored into the standings after 11 games. I'm not a fan of the new 16 team field but I knew it was coming and would bring some anguish for curling fans.

01-29-18 09:20PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

Talk about calling the kettle black!

"What a disrespectful question of a team".

I am quoting you correctly, am I not, Curler1 ?

Was this not your response to xx's posting after he slam dunked Einarson and her team?

Just like all the other posters I quoted previously, you were ticked off by what had been said about a curler or a curling team.
And no wonder.

01-29-18 09:40PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Talk about calling the kettle black!

"What a disrespectful question of a team".

I am quoting you correctly, am I not, Curler1 ?

Was this not your response to xx's posting after he slam dunked Einarson and her team?

Just like all the other posters I quoted previously, you were ticked off by what had been said about a curler or a curling team.
And no wonder.

yes, i was not bashing ML, I was saying his question was disrespectful to a team.

I did not point out all his faults and bash him.

Let's stick to curling...

01-29-18 11:25PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Has anyone else noticed the white dot in the lower portion of the main shot camera, just to the right of the middle? I have no idea how TSN hasn't noticed this yet.

I do like this year's in-arena scoreboards...a considerable improvement over the antiquated Velcro version.

01-30-18 12:44AM
Spinner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spinner Find more posts by Spinner Add Spinner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spinner
Knee-Slider

The shotmaking is just fine.
The skipping is horendous.

01-30-18 08:05AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

huge win for northern ontario over einarson last night, keeps them alive.

i had a loss in each draw last night but im still going pretty good. overall record now of 19-5.

predictions for today:

draw 9

ontario def. british columbia
alberta def. nunavut
prince edward island def. quebec
canada def. newfoundland

draw 10

wild card def. yukom
manitoba def. new brunswick
northwest territories def. nova scotia
northern ontario def. saskatchewan

draw 11:

newfoundland def. quebec
ontario def. nunavut
canada def. prince edward island
alberta def. british columbia

i really wanted to take newfoundland over alberta yesterday and didn't. want to go with them over canada today but..i don't know. i feel like they're gonna lose one at some point. wouldn't be surprised at all if they won though

01-30-18 09:01AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
The shotmaking is just fine.
The skipping is horendous.

Agree 100%. With all of the coaching available, it's a travesty that some of the skips/teams are so terrible strategically. It's only improved marginally since the days of Cathy Cunningham hitting rocks in the house when down by three or four points.

Prime example being Alberta. Great shooters, but the skip is awful with strategy. If not for the lead (former skip) changing her mind a few times it would be even worse.

01-30-18 09:30AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
huge win for northern ontario over einarson last night, keeps them alive.

i had a loss in each draw last night but im still going pretty good. overall record now of 19-5.

predictions for today:

draw 9

ontario def. british columbia
alberta def. nunavut
prince edward island def. quebec
canada def. newfoundland

draw 10

wild card def. yukom
manitoba def. new brunswick
northwest territories def. nova scotia
northern ontario def. saskatchewan

draw 11:

newfoundland def. quebec
ontario def. nunavut
canada def. prince edward island
alberta def. british columbia

i really wanted to take newfoundland over alberta yesterday and didn't. want to go with them over canada today but..i don't know. i feel like they're gonna lose one at some point. wouldn't be surprised at all if they won though

Not gonna challenge any of these superb predictions - but in the Canada vs Nfld game S Curtis has proven to be a far more reliable shot-smith than M Englot. For the most part Englot is physically limited in her quiver of arrows - she's basically a 65 to 75% shooter from the get-go.
But she really knows how to make missing over 1/4 of her shots work to her team's advantage.
If she can up her own percentage to 78 to 84 she'll take the Newfies out. . . . . assuming Kate Cameron doesn't do another dumpster-dive!

01-30-18 09:35AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Agree 100%. With all of the coaching available, it's a travesty that some of the skips/teams are so terrible strategically. It's only improved marginally since the days of Cathy Cunningham hitting rocks in the house when down by three or four points.

Prime example being Alberta. Great shooters, but the skip is awful with strategy. If not for the lead (former skip) changing her mind a few times it would be even worse.

Scheidegger and Einarson are two upper-tier teams beset by lack of funds for training and coaching. Historically they've not been Top 3 Canadian teams (Homan, Jones, Sweeting) so they don't get the funding.
Obviously lots of raw talent (moreso Scheidegger) but Einarson was too poor to even afford a 5th player (something not right there but she's a wildcard and wouldn't have got funding for travel, hotel, food for her spare. Wish they had provided a coach but I suspect a coach would have just caused riffs in the team with alternative strategies so they were best keeping themselves coachless).

Both Scheidegger and Einarson will float thru to the FINAL 8 - but I like Casey's chances to advance to the medal round far better than Kerri's.

01-30-18 12:08PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Feature Game: Curtis vs. Englot

Only 1 loss between them (englot)

Stacie Curtis has been the superstar skip at this year's event.

Jones is close but she's pushed over a couple fawns; her offense will sputter when pitted up against the top 2 or 3 teams.

If Curtis was skipping Team Canada I'd rate them in the same tier as Jones & Scheidegger. Englot has the better team but she's saddled by her own physical inabilities to execute certain shots.

Kate Cameron is a great take-out player. NFLD will have to test her on low-weight shots. That's where the real battle will occur - assuming Englot can stay within 5 to 7% of Curtis.

01-30-18 12:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

All of the teams have to fund their 5th players. Ontario had a crowdfunding campaign to bring a 5th. They don't have a coach but their 5th Danielle is pretty experienced.

Notice that most teams have one or the other but not both. Those that do have both, have decent sponsors or government funding. You would think that CC would help some of the up and coming teams (i.e. Einarson) with this.

01-30-18 12:20PM
ronbro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronbro Find more posts by ronbro Add ronbro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronbro
Harvey Hacksmasher

communication devices

This Scotties is a great example of where two-way communication devices with their coaches would really help. Absolutely terrible strategy by most skips. Even Alberta and Einarson who have tour experience. Had Russ swearing on TV for the first time ever!!! Could be set for only available during "thinking Time" ??

01-30-18 01:03PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Re: Re: team Canada/wild card

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I heard that as well. Really like the idea.

Even if I was not a fan of Homan, I would think this is a good idea. Eliminate the WC game for one year and let the TC team take their spot one year late.

01-30-18 01:05PM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: really?

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Put him on ignore if you don't like his posts. This is for curling - not people bashing.
It added nothing to this thread. At least ML talk about curling, not people bashing.

Your little wheel on your mouse can help you scroll right past his posts too.

Sorry, but I don't need your advice on how to ignore or respond to posts. ML's posts are often belittling, and sexist, particularly to female curlers. Not to mention being way off the mark and silly at least most of the time. He doesn't offend me, but I won't support any posts that belittle the "fawns" of our curling world. And if you can support that, then you're just as guilty as he.

GC

Last edited by GreatCanadian on 01-30-18 at 01:14PM

01-30-18 01:08PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Re: True triple knock out

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Agree to disagree. The true triple knockout is by far and away the best way get the best team to advance. Let's say the "best" team wins the A side. They drop to B semi along with the "2nd best team" from the A side, Rather than sit and wait 2 days like they do at the slams.
Then one of those 2 best teams from A side go on to win the B side then down to C etc etc
All along the way the winning teams are eliminating the losers. If you don't or can't win, what makes you think you deserve anything else? Triple knock out can be done in 4 days which saves time and money for the teams. A prolonged round robin opens it up for a lesser team at say 5-5 or 4-4 to squeak into the playoffs and get on a roll and win it all with a team at 10 -0 after the round robin going home.
Regardless the best team will and always does win and in this case Duncan was the best in Ontario. They won. ALL the others lost. The end.

I agree. The TKO is not the reason there could be an upset, it is the playoff after the TKO, such as the Page system. The non modified TKO as described by IN OFF FOR 2 is the best system. That was not used in Ontario, the modified was used, followed by the Page. The Page can result in upsets whether you qualify via RRs or TKOs.

01-30-18 01:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

many on here know i'm not what you'd call a fan of team homan. even i though agree with those here who have said they should get the wild card next year. it's only fair after being forced to give up their slot

will the CCA do that though? really doubt it

01-30-18 03:08PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
many on here know i'm not what you'd call a fan of team homan. even i though agree with those here who have said they should get the wild card next year. it's only fair after being forced to give up their slot

will the CCA do that though? really doubt it

I do not agree. Because curling canada cant fix scheduling for an Olympic year doesn’t mean they should continue screwing up.
There are 3 teams from one province here this year. That should never happen. Yes, I know ont always has at least 2. They could possibly have 4 next year if Homan has a bye.
Homan is good enough that she should earn a spot anyways.
Get rid of the wildcard AND Nunavut, play a 14 team rr.