Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > The Brier 2017 -

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 18 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-10-17 07:47PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Magic Mike and his mechanics have a real tiger by the tail tonite in the Goo Goo Dolls - Nfld. just refusing to miss any shot, any time!

Mike leaving Brad with makeable outs - Brad leaving Mike with high degree of difficulty shots!

Eventually the bow must break!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-10-17 08:27PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Team Mikey curling great - FOR MERE EARTHLINGS!

Gushue curling out-of-this-world - SUPER-HUMAN

Mikey will be good to avoid a 9th end TKO and take Brad to last rocks!

All Brad's soldier's curling 90+
Brad in at only 100

03-10-17 08:28PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

no 5th

All the cackling about no 5th for Gushue or McEwen, correct me if I'm wrong but if they do win the Brier they can pick anyone in Canada, right?

03-10-17 08:31PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

sportsman award

great to see Jean-Michel Menard receive that award.

03-10-17 08:46PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Team Mikey curling great - FOR MERE EARTHLINGS!

Gushue curling out-of-this-world - SUPER-HUMAN

Mikey will be good to avoid a 9th end TKO and take Brad to last rocks!

All Brad's soldier's curling 90+
Brad in at only 100

I kind of don't mind if Mike looses, then he plays tomorrow. I don't think there is a huge benefit to having a day off from playing - might loose your groove.

But then he has to win tomorrow.

03-10-17 08:54PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

all stars

First Team: Gushue, Schneider (SK), E.J Harden, Denni Neufeld

Second Team: McEwen, Nichols, Wozniak, G. Walker

http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/c...-star-skip.html

03-10-17 08:56PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

I kind of don't mind if Mike looses, then he plays tomorrow. I don't think there is a huge benefit to having a day off from playing - might loose your groove.

But then he has to win tomorrow.

Mikey a couple risky shots away from being hung upside down on the last branch by Lord Goo.

Go from playing guys who curl 90 to 100% blind-folded to one of two monsters (Koe or The Juice Kings)

I don't get any easier - actually it will because Gushue is totally ungodly good tonite!

03-10-17 09:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

back from my little rest. a lot shorter than i thought but i missed it here. dont have a lot of people i can discuss curling with

i was kind of hoping for some different teams in the playoffs this year. The loss to quebec for BC really is the one that big them . they had 2 great chances to pout the game away and missed both. cant be argued that the best 4 teams arent there but it would have been nice to see someone break that up

i was impressed with saskatchewan this week. first year together, they made lineup changes and had a respectable 5-6 at the brier. they pushed all the teams above them hard, with the exception of quebec. catlin schneider was a revelation at third. guy was pulling huge numbers all week. for someone at their first brier thats impressive. i know with a spot on laycock's team opening up the popular theory is that one of these guys will join that team. i hope not. id hope this team sticks together. laycock needs a challenge in saskatchewan and this team is it. they'll only get better if they stick together for a while.

glenn howard..what to say?. its sad to see him struggle this badly. had epping not choked hard in the page playoff glenn probably wouldnt have been here. im not sure where he goes from here. he cant be happy not being a factor at the end of the week anymore .

i was really stunned to see bottcher win only 3 games. not that i expected him to win but i thought they could go 6-5 at worst. think he needs a stronger third. wouldnt be all to surprised to see moulding get asked to leave at the end of the season. he's just not a top level third. not sure who brendan could take on though. maybe bring back virtue into the mix and ask him to play third?

i predicted mcewen to win this event and im sticking with that, though gushue will be very hard to beat.

koe team has regressed from last year. not surprised, they havent had a great season. we saw here why, as cathy said, way to many cooks in the kitchen. that game between manitoba where they took a good 5 or so minutes to decide what shot to play was ridiculous and not in a good way.

also noticed that the jacobs team, to spite them saying how good a place they are in havent seemed in sync at all this week. lots of second guessing brad and brad himself doesnt seem as confidant as he usually does.

03-10-17 09:16PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Welcome back Misty1! Considering Bottcher had to bring in a third at the last minute, he did well to get out of Alberta. NO has been their usual grumpy selves this week and TC as always curling by committee.

Gushue needs to be careful, McEwan & team are climbing back. Brad's getting quite the tongue bath tonight from Cheryl.

03-10-17 09:22PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Mikey about a Goo 1/2 shot away from doing the Shake Shake Dance

03-10-17 10:44PM
sasksasky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sasksasky Click here to Send sasksasky a Private Message Find more posts by sasksasky Add sasksasky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sasksasky
Knee-Slider

Gushue sweepers?

Hello all! First post here, but I've been enjoying the comments thus far.

Question regarding the MB-NL game this evening...I noticed Walker was hardly sweeping this evening. Nichols came out on a couple of shots to assist (and Walker backed off) and Gallant was sweeping on both sides of the rock depending on the shot. This is the first time I've seen team Gushue do this over the course of the Brier -- is Walker injured? are they purposely using the strongest sweepers on the team? Thoughts?

I was surprised the commentators didn't pick up on this (or maybe I missed any discussion).

Looking forward to the upcoming games!

03-10-17 10:52PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Gushue sweepers?

quote:
Originally posted by sasksasky
Hello all! First post here, but I've been enjoying the comments thus far. Question regarding the MB-NL game this evening...I noticed Walker was hardly sweeping this evening. Nichols came out on a couple of shots to assist (and Walker backed off) and Gallant was sweeping on both sides of the rock depending on the shot. This is the first time I've seen team Gushue do this over the course of the Brier -- is Walker injured? are they purposely using the strongest sweepers on the team? Thoughts?

Welcome new poster and welcome back from vacation misty1. Great analysis Dunno if Walker is injured - no video - but fair question.

Checked Laycock's accounts today - no peeps regarding their infilling - so maybe they will cull this nice young team. I also hope not.

The curse of the 1-2 game. Gulp. Suspect it will be Jacobs bowing to McEwen in the semi. Go MB Go - but well, either would be a good rep. Next stop. Beijing.

03-10-17 11:24PM
sasksasky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sasksasky Click here to Send sasksasky a Private Message Find more posts by sasksasky Add sasksasky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sasksasky
Knee-Slider

Thanks for the welcome!

Just watched the video from the article http://www.curling.ca/2017brier/201...ns-brier-final/
and Gushue commented that Walker is hurting...I would suspect upperbody as he chucked stones ok. Might be wishing they had a 5th...

03-10-17 11:31PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Click here to Send maybo a Private Message Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005
And although my opinion means dick on this site.

No it doesn't. Excellent points -- thanks for sharing!

03-11-17 02:18AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Gushue played great but McEwen didn't seem like a team that really wanted to win. Hope that changes tomorrow as I am a big fan. Thought the same thing in their game against Quebec although they prevailed.

03-11-17 09:47AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Gushue played great but McEwen didn't seem like a team that really wanted to win. Hope that changes tomorrow as I am a big fan. Thought the same thing in their game against Quebec although they prevailed.

Goo's team had 80 shots vs. McEwen.

Maybe missed one shot of the 80.

Probably completed 74 or 75 to perfection with no worse than 1/2 shot grading on other 4 or 5.

Curl like that and you'll suppress just about every team on earth.

Despite having last rock advantage - Gushue suppressed Mikey early (deuce on 2nd end) and check-mated Mikey on rock position when Mike was squaring up for a deuce.

McEwen has nothing to be ashamed of. They curled superbly - but Gushue was even better.

03-11-17 09:49AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

while the crowds have been great in terms of size this week what i havent really liked is the cheering of the opponent's errors. I dont think its very classy to cheer when the opponent misses. i have no problem with cheering your teams good shots made and, heck if you dont want to cheer as loudly for an opponent making a good shot , fine. However there's nothing okay about cheering when an opponent has a miss

03-11-17 10:40AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
back from my little rest. a lot shorter than i thought but i missed it here. dont have a lot of people i can discuss curling with

i was kind of hoping for some different teams in the playoffs this year. The loss to quebec for BC really is the one that big them . they had 2 great chances to pout the game away and missed both. cant be argued that the best 4 teams arent there but it would have been nice to see someone break that up

i was impressed with saskatchewan this week. first year together, they made lineup changes and had a respectable 5-6 at the brier. they pushed all the teams above them hard, with the exception of quebec. catlin schneider was a revelation at third. guy was pulling huge numbers all week. for someone at their first brier thats impressive. i know with a spot on laycock's team opening up the popular theory is that one of these guys will join that team. i hope not. id hope this team sticks together. laycock needs a challenge in saskatchewan and this team is it. they'll only get better if they stick together for a while.

glenn howard..what to say?. its sad to see him struggle this badly. had epping not choked hard in the page playoff glenn probably wouldnt have been here. im not sure where he goes from here. he cant be happy not being a factor at the end of the week anymore .

i was really stunned to see bottcher win only 3 games. not that i expected him to win but i thought they could go 6-5 at worst. think he needs a stronger third. wouldnt be all to surprised to see moulding get asked to leave at the end of the season. he's just not a top level third. not sure who brendan could take on though. maybe bring back virtue into the mix and ask him to play third?

i predicted mcewen to win this event and im sticking with that, though gushue will be very hard to beat.

koe team has regressed from last year. not surprised, they havent had a great season. we saw here why, as cathy said, way to many cooks in the kitchen. that game between manitoba where they took a good 5 or so minutes to decide what shot to play was ridiculous and not in a good way.

also noticed that the jacobs team, to spite them saying how good a place they are in havent seemed in sync at all this week. lots of second guessing brad and brad himself doesnt seem as confidant as he usually does.

Wow your second sabbatical was even shorter than your first. M

03-11-17 10:43AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

koe wins brier ...

03-11-17 10:46AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Gushue sweepers?

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Welcome new poster and welcome back from vacation misty1. Great analysis Dunno if Walker is injured - no video - but fair question.

Checked Laycock's accounts today - no peeps regarding their infilling - so maybe they will cull this nice young team. I also hope not.

The curse of the 1-2 game. Gulp. Suspect it will be Jacobs bowing to McEwen in the semi. Go MB Go - but well, either would be a good rep. Next stop. Beijing.

Beijing? Next stop is Edmonton is it not?

03-11-17 10:46AM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

disagree

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
while the crowds have been great in terms of size this week what i havent really liked is the cheering of the opponent's errors. I dont think its very classy to cheer when the opponent misses. i have no problem with cheering your teams good shots made and, heck if you dont want to cheer as loudly for an opponent making a good shot , fine. However there's nothing okay about cheering when an opponent has a miss

If you can't take a few boos you should not be playing at this level. If you want to shut the fans up its simple just make your shots like someone said at the beginning of the week, Jacobs I believe it was.

03-11-17 10:47AM
ronbro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronbro Find more posts by ronbro Add ronbro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronbro
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree - NFL just too hot to handle last night. Mike ended up chasing too much. Hopefully they get back to the final. Also agree NO not playing well as a team. too much second guessing. Same with Koe. At the moment NFL looks unbeatable but hoping for McEwen. Either way a strong team will be going to worlds.

03-11-17 10:52AM
baxbennett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for baxbennett Click here to Send baxbennett a Private Message Find more posts by baxbennett Add baxbennett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
baxbennett
Knee-Slider

Brier crowds

I have been in attendance for all but 1 draw this week and have been treated to some fantastic curling that I expected to see for my first ever Brier. I am a longtime curling fan and love to see the best of the best with regards to the teams on the ice.

I am a proud Newfoundlander and I too am frustrated with some of the cheering for missed shots, with the exception of steal points on a last rock miss. I will cheer as loudly as anyone for the stolen point for Team NL.

The crowd all week has been vibrant and noisy without any doubt, during any draw in which Team NL is on the ice. I have watched just about every draw from the Brier on tv for the last 15 years and this is not the first time that I have heard fans cheer for misses against the home side, but this may be a little more loud than usual and I will give my interpretation as to why.

A lot of the people attending the games are not educated curling fans. They do not know the etiquette of the great game it is. They are however die hard loyalists to Team Gushue and the class and pride that they have represented our province and our great country (2001 World Juniors, and some other event in 2006). The fans are emotional and wear their hearts on their sleeves, and display exuberance over every shot that benefits Team Gushue.

To all the people in our country that are watching this event and attending from other parts of the country and the world, you need to know this. Team Gushue and especially Mark and Brad are not just curlers here, they are folk heroes. In 2006 the provincial government declared a holiday for all public servants and closed all the schools on the day that Brad, Mark, Russ, Jamie, Mike and Toby took the ice looking for the first ever gold medal for a Canadian men's team. And they delivered. I can't recall the province of Alberta or Ontario doing that for Martin or Jacobs teams on their gold medal wins.

You are in their house. It is a huge home ice advantage. They are legends and have been firmly entrenched into the heart of most if not all Newfoundlanders.

Again I do not like the cheering for missed shots, I don't think that is right, but as for crowd noise bothering the curlers that will happen at every brier. Would you ban "The Sociables" from attending the brier because they cheer lead throughout the game. I don't think so, I think they are awesome and I bet they would agree this may be the best crowd they have seen for their antics.

Also some people in this thread have made mention to a lack of class. I have link here showing the biggest lack of class I have witnessed yet. This is from the warmup prior to Thursday nights game. For Mark Kennedy a subtle note, you are wearing the Maple Leaf on your back. Show it the respect that it deserves.

https://twitter.com/TheBrierPool/st...2845826/video/1

03-11-17 11:42AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Brier crowds

quote:
Originally posted by baxbennett
I have been in attendance for all but 1 draw this week and have been treated to some fantastic curling that I expected to see for my first ever Brier. I am a longtime curling fan and love to see the best of the best with regards to the teams on the ice.

I am a proud Newfoundlander and I too am frustrated with some of the cheering for missed shots, with the exception of steal points on a last rock miss. I will cheer as loudly as anyone for the stolen point for Team NL.

The crowd all week has been vibrant and noisy without any doubt, during any draw in which Team NL is on the ice. I have watched just about every draw from the Brier on tv for the last 15 years and this is not the first time that I have heard fans cheer for misses against the home side, but this may be a little more loud than usual and I will give my interpretation as to why.

A lot of the people attending the games are not educated curling fans. They do not know the etiquette of the great game it is. They are however die hard loyalists to Team Gushue and the class and pride that they have represented our province and our great country (2001 World Juniors, and some other event in 2006). The fans are emotional and wear their hearts on their sleeves, and display exuberance over every shot that benefits Team Gushue.

To all the people in our country that are watching this event and attending from other parts of the country and the world, you need to know this. Team Gushue and especially Mark and Brad are not just curlers here, they are folk heroes. In 2006 the provincial government declared a holiday for all public servants and closed all the schools on the day that Brad, Mark, Russ, Jamie, Mike and Toby took the ice looking for the first ever gold medal for a Canadian men's team. And they delivered. I can't recall the province of Alberta or Ontario doing that for Martin or Jacobs teams on their gold medal wins.

You are in their house. It is a huge home ice advantage. They are legends and have been firmly entrenched into the heart of most if not all Newfoundlanders.

Again I do not like the cheering for missed shots, I don't think that is right, but as for crowd noise bothering the curlers that will happen at every brier. Would you ban "The Sociables" from attending the brier because they cheer lead throughout the game. I don't think so, I think they are awesome and I bet they would agree this may be the best crowd they have seen for their antics.

Also some people in this thread have made mention to a lack of class. I have link here showing the biggest lack of class I have witnessed yet. This is from the warmup prior to Thursday nights game. For Mark Kennedy a subtle note, you are wearing the Maple Leaf on your back. Show it the respect that it deserves.

https://twitter.com/TheBrierPool/st...2845826/video/1

Great 1st call to the post Bax - hope we see you as a regular participant in our curling forums.

I've often thought cheering for an opponent's miss is more an appreciation of the great shot before it by whoever your favourite team may be. Thus, when McEwen can't pull off a severe angle chip bump to score two - and gives Gushue a game-winning steal of one - its more a tribute to Gushue's incredible shot that made McEwen's shot so very difficult.

Cheering a complete miss or a sail-thru in regular play is completely unacceptable.

03-11-17 11:47AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by ronbro
Agree - NFL just too hot to handle last night. Mike ended up chasing too much. Hopefully they get back to the final. Also agree NO not playing well as a team. too much second guessing. Same with Koe. At the moment NFL looks unbeatable but hoping for McEwen. Either way a strong team will be going to worlds.

Both NO and CAN are run by committee - Koe's Kommittee is really ponderous as all members have equal (sometimes greater) rights than Skipper KK.

Jacobs is more take-charge than Koe (who isn't?) but his committee usually consists of testy exchanges with Fry and occasionally one of the Harndens steps into the fray.

Should be a crazy game this afternoon - especially if the shot-stacking into the 4 foot gets tight. Both teams will be yapping plenty about un-locking, corner freezes, angle taps, chap 'n lies, weight control, etc.