Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-09-14 02:42AM
F.K. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for F.K. Click here to Send F.K. a Private Message Find more posts by F.K. Add F.K. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
F.K.
Knee-Slider

Pacific Curling Championships 2014

quote:
Curling fans around the world will be able to follow live coverage of this event for the first time on the World Curling Federation's YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/WorldCurlingTV - and here on the event website homepage.

Last edited by F.K. on 11-09-14 at 03:07AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-09-14 09:41AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

anyone else think that there's a good posibility that the chinese women miss worlds this year?

i could see japan and korea finishing above them

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

11-10-14 01:22AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
anyone else think that there's a good posibility that the chinese women miss worlds this year?

i could see japan and korea finishing above them

One interesting factor is that Japan is hosting the worlds this year, so it really comes down to a battle between Korea and China for the other spot. With that in mind, I would agree that there is a very decent chance that the Chinese women miss the worlds, particularly with Bingyu Wang nowhere in sight.

11-12-14 09:28PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

Where is Bingyu Wang at?

11-12-14 11:11PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

men's playoff round

Big win by Kim SooHyuk of Korea over China to finish second in the round robin... How does the playoff round go? Page-like?

1vs2 - loser plays winner 3-4? Just wondering. Ko Goreya Ko

11-12-14 11:14PM
guycan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guycan Click here to Send guycan a Private Message Find more posts by guycan Add guycan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guycan
Swing Artist

Re: men's playoff round

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Big win by Kim SooHyuk of Korea over China to finish second in the round robin... How does the playoff round go? Page-like?

1vs2 - loser plays winner 3-4? Just wondering. Ko Goreya Ko

No page system....

Japan will play the winner of the TB between AUS/NZL in one Best of 3 semi while Korea plays China in the other Best of 3 semi. Japan will take a one game lead in the best of 3 semi against either AUS or NZL by virtue of victories over both of them in the RR, and Korea takes a one game lead over China by virtue of their RR victory.

11-13-14 08:08AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28
Where is Bingyu Wang at?

her and the entire team retired after socchi

11-13-14 08:09AM
Unregistered

would be something if china missed worlds on both the men and womens side

11-13-14 10:15AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: men's playoff round

quote:
Originally posted by guycan

No page system.... Korea takes a one game lead over China by virtue of their RR victory.

So with this ee win over china does korea win the championsip and the berth to worlds? <<in womens >>.

11-13-14 11:19AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: men's playoff round

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

So with this ee win over china does korea win the championsip and the berth to worlds? <<in womens >>.

No, they play New Zealand, who won the tiebreaker, in the semifinals. Both the men's and women's have semis where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. However, these semis are best 2 of 3 in the men's and best 3 of 5 in the women's, but the round robin games between the teams count. I assume it's different for the women because they play a double round robin and they wouldn't want anyone to be swept out before playing a playoff game.

Therefore, on the women's side Korea already has a two games to none lead over New Zealand, meanwhile China and Japan split their games so they are now playing effectively a best 2 of 3. On the men's side Japan has a one game lead on Australia and Korea has a one game lead on China.

Oddly, the finals are just one game. It's a complicated system, but it usually works well because getting to the finals is the real prize as this usually qualifies you for Worlds. However, the women's side is complicated this year by the fact that Japan is already qualified for Worlds as the host nation. If China gets by Japan, the final would be a one game playoff for Worlds meaning Korea could possibly only lose that one game and miss out on the worlds. We'll see.

11-13-14 02:25PM
Unregistered

you have to figure that if china misses worlds in both it'll be slightly concerning for that federation.

11-13-14 11:05PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: men's playoff round

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
If China gets by Japan, the final would be a one game playoff for Worlds meaning Korea could possibly only lose that one game and miss out on the worlds. We'll see.

This would defeat the whole purpose of the "best of five" system they are using.

Ko Gorea Ko

11-14-14 10:21PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: men's playoff round

quote:

the final would be a one game playoff for Worlds meaning Korea could possibly only lose that one game and miss out on the worlds. We'll see.

Unfortunately for Korea, that's exactly what happened
Missed a hit and roll for the win and lose that 1 game and fail to win the pacifics and qualify for Sapporo.

11-14-14 11:08PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

First PACC Win For China Women

That did not involve Betty, Lu, Susan and Jenny...

Hey there guys,

Been a while since I posted here. Work and life got in the way. I can confirm that the 4 Golden Flowers have disbanded after Sochi...

What I can say is that the stork maybe visiting two of the 4 flowers this year while 1 is raising their 4 yr old daughter and the other one is going into jade jewelry sales as her post curling career.

When the WCF announced that Sapporo was hosting the 15 WWCCs I was EXTREMELY worried that China would not make the worlds, something that has not occurred since 2004...

That and the Olympics being in South Korea could have spelled China into defending their OQE/Last Chance Championship in 2017... Now with China in with Japan as host at least they will get some Olympic points that Korea could have taken from them leading up to qualifications.

11-14-14 11:32PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Korea devastation (W)

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler

Unfortunately for Korea, that's exactly what happened
Missed a hit and roll for the win and lose that 1 game and fail to win the pacifics and qualify for Sapporo.

ugh. I am becoming afraid to express my fan-ness for any team. It seem to bring the worst. Ko Gorea Ko. booHoo

11-21-14 05:25PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I think that an argument could be made for 3 Asian teams in the worlds. If Brazil can challenge the Americans, then the Korean women should be able to challenge the worst team in Europe.

BTW-nice job on the microphones by Hans & Sander...although methinks that Hans should have been wearing the all-black...

11-21-14 05:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I think that an argument could be made for 3 Asian teams in the worlds. If Brazil can challenge the Americans, then the Korean women should be able to challenge the worst team in Europe.

BTW-nice job on the microphones by Hans & Sander...although methinks that Hans should have been wearing the all-black...

its so many quality countries challenging for world spots now that you could argue that the worlds field does need to be expanded again

11-21-14 06:01PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Misty, I wouldn't argue with you on that one...especially since the Men & Women play separate events.

If that were the case, I'd also split Asia from Pacific. The men & women from "Down Under" have a big enough handicap as it is.

11-21-14 06:49PM
Unregistered

quote:
Misty, I wouldn't argue with you on that one...especially since the Men & Women play separate events.

If that were the case, I'd also split Asia from Pacific. The men & women from "Down Under" have a big enough handicap as it is.

i'd propose 14 teams. the 2 american births, 3 from asia/pacific and 9 from europe

of course that would add at least 2 days to the championship and thats probably not doable .

11-22-14 01:44AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

I think there is no doubt now that the third best Pacific women's team is better than whoever will be the eighth best European team. It's closer for the men, but there's definitely an argument for it.

Changing the format is a bit tricky though. If you had some kind of challenge event, where and when would it be played. It's a big travel expense for one team no matter what. If you just went to seven Euro and three Pacific it may make it a bit too easy to qualify out of the Pacific area, I don't know.

11-22-14 05:00PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Just so there's no mistake-when I said that Hans should have been wearing the All-Black, that wasn't inferring any bias in his reporting-I meant that he should have been skipping!

11-22-14 07:02PM
Unregistered

quote:

I think there is no doubt now that the third best Pacific women's team is better than whoever will be the eighth best European team. It's closer for the men, but there's definitely an argument for it.

Changing the format is a bit tricky though. If you had some kind of challenge event, where and when would it be played. It's a big travel expense for one team no matter what. If you just went to seven Euro and three Pacific it may make it a bit too easy to qualify out of the Pacific area, I don't know.

i dont think its fair to cut back the number of european teams. its arguable that 8 spots isnt enough anymore. and you could argue the 3rd asian team is stronger than the 8th european team but maybe not, it depends who the 8th place team is.They'd beat a latvia or a finland for sure but if its a czech republic or a germany im not so sure.

11-22-14 07:33PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

It's possible to get six sheets onto one surface-the Brier used to do it.

11-23-14 09:48AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
It's possible to get six sheets onto one surface-the Brier used to do it.

North American hockey arenas can't do six regulation sheets. And that's even if you try to squeeze them in without walkways for television.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!