Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-15-13 07:44PM
CurlingPiper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingPiper Click here to Send CurlingPiper a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingPiper Add CurlingPiper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingPiper
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling + Smoking

Was talking with a couple of friends yesterday about curling, and how players used to smoke on the ice. We jokingly wondered if any curlers nowadays smoke. With all the health and fitness regimes being taken on by professionals nowadays, do any of them still have the bad habit of smoking? Just wondering.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-16-13 01:56PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Curling + Smoking

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingPiper
Was talking with a couple of friends yesterday about curling, and how players used to smoke on the ice. We jokingly wondered if any curlers nowadays smoke. With all the health and fitness regimes being taken on by professionals nowadays, do any of them still have the bad habit of smoking? Just wondering.

Or have then exchanged good old fashion tobacco for MJ?

07-20-13 12:10PM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's like other sports. You would or wouldn't be surprised by who smokes, cough Michael cough cough cough Phelps.

07-23-13 01:51PM
FraserCurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserCurling Click here to Send FraserCurling a Private Message Visit FraserCurling's homepage! Find more posts by FraserCurling Add FraserCurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserCurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

mmm Subway!

11-25-13 01:18PM
White Undershirt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for White Undershirt Click here to Send White Undershirt a Private Message Find more posts by White Undershirt Add White Undershirt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
White Undershirt
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by FraserCurling
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

misquoting a hockey icon: UNCOOL

11-26-13 01:15AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Angry

A few years back I saw one of the young strong ones smoking outside of the curling rink and I was shocked. So buff and so strong but not a good role model. I often wonder if he still smokes. Going to the gym and building the muscles does not equal endurance. Smoking destroys that. This curler has done well for himself, but sometimes fatigue is an issue. I could never play to that level as non smoker and would fatigue quickly so I know the intensity of play is draining. So many young people look up to these curlers.

Still have a visual of the old curlers with that smoke hanging out of their mouths while throwing!! That and cornbrooms must have created a lot of picks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

11-26-13 03:06PM
Unregistered

I remember those days, the rink I learned to curl in even had juice cans hanging on chains from the ceiling between the sheets (1-2, 3-4) at both ends to act as ashtrays. Remember this one skip who always had a very smelly cigar going that he just happened to puff your way when in the house!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.61.254

02-15-14 01:20PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

And let's not forget we used to drink on the ice as well. One of the few times when the use of the term 'the good ole days' is justified......lol......

Seriously though I am going on a month without the evil weed. I have always been moderately fit and can't say that I notice a whole heck of a lot of difference so far except for my waist line. If I keep gaining weight at this weight I'm not sure I'll be able to bend down in the hack.....lol.....

What is really nice is not having to step outside in this never ending winter of ours to feed the habit. The Great White North indeed. You know it's bad when even Toronto is getting a real winter.

02-15-14 05:37PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
And let's not forget we used to drink on the ice as well. One of the few times when the use of the term 'the good ole days' is justified......lol......

But, there is still drinking on outdoor ice! What's that saying about the north v. south Grand Match in Scotland? "There's more weight of whiskey on the ice than stones" ... especially for proper, old school, Fifth End breaks instead of these mealsy run-to-the-bathroom breaks of the indoor game.

Nice to see the outdoor game reemerging in the USA. Clear Lake in Wisconsin, Bemidji, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Sierra Nevada mountains, Sawtooth in Idaho...

02-15-14 09:02PM
Unregistered

I was a smoker but quit when I decided to take the sport seriously as a front-ender. It wasn't just an endurance issue. During a long game, I could hardly wait for it to be over so I could go outside for a butt. CurlingPiper if you are thinking about quitting, do it. It sucks at first but it goes away.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.150.146.80

02-27-14 12:28PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I think you'll find it much like the PGA vs social golf. "Back in the Day" many of the PGA legends could be seen "lighting up" during a tournament-Gary Player was the first to really push fitness.

02-28-14 10:24PM
Unregistered

Didn't help when the Brier was sponsered by a tobacco company lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.185.206.110

05-09-14 10:24AM
Curling_Dad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling_Dad Click here to Send Curling_Dad a Private Message Find more posts by Curling_Dad Add Curling_Dad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling_Dad
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sorry to jump onto the thread late here, but I think smoking and trying to be a successful curler, or any athlete at that, is nearly impossible. I believe that a healthy alternative to smoking is sailing. I prefer going out sailing over any tobacco cigarette. When i am out conquering waves in my Beneteau Sense 50' Sailboat I feel higher than any high a cigarette could provide for me. Lets just say I am addicted to Sailing and I am high on life.

05-11-14 01:46AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42

What, your club doesn't let you drink on the ice? What kind of crap is that?

I can't say I missed the smoke... I remember it as a kid, and I didn't enjoy it. And that smell that permeated the club... probably one of the reasons I took an extended break from the sport. I had to wait for the clubs to air out.