Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-19 09:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
you know..this is just disappointing. for me anyway. i was really hoping for appelman and lyburn. i dont know,im just tired of watching the same people all the time at the brier. its fun to watch new people break through and accomplish their dream. plus its nice to see new faces on the biggest stage

its no knock against mcewen or koe, they deserved to win .

at the same time this backdoor wild card game is bull****. i will never like it. if you're going to have it there needs to be some kind oif requirement. like you need to make the final.

i just will never understand anyway why someone like bottcher deserves a 2nd shot at getting to hte brier over someone like lyburn or appelman. this game is already giving enough benefits and advantages to top teams and here's another one

I was pulling for Lyburn too, someone different. From Brandon. I don't think either of the Manitoba teams that were in the final will win the Brier, so thought it would be nice for Lyburn also.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-19 09:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
you know..this is just disappointing. for me anyway. i was really hoping for appelman and lyburn. i dont know,im just tired of watching the same people all the time at the brier. its fun to watch new people break through and accomplish their dream. plus its nice to see new faces on the biggest stage

its no knock against mcewen or koe, they deserved to win .

at the same time this backdoor wild card game is bull****. i will never like it. if you're going to have it there needs to be some kind oif requirement. like you need to make the final.

i just will never understand anyway why someone like bottcher deserves a 2nd shot at getting to hte brier over someone like lyburn or appelman. this game is already giving enough benefits and advantages to top teams and here's another one

I agree with you...we see enough of the slam teams time for someone new. What an unfortunate 5 in 9 for Appleman...

02-10-19 10:02PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I like to see the best from each province. I believe we got that, don’t know about the maritimes though.

02-10-19 10:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Partially agree Fresca. There's about 1500 clubs in Canada and many are dying. Not all to blame on the elite of the elite but CC has put such a priority on the Olympics, and has bent, broken rules to have teams compete so the CC execs can keep their jobs. TV has put the squeeze on to get "popular" "tv faces" to play in slams and championships. Competitive teams around the country are down 80% the last 10-15 years from teams amalgamating, players "moving" provinces, and players just plain giving up because they can no longer compete against the professionals while juggling work and family and limited vacation time. Not everyone has sponsors to covers 60-70 days no pay. I do this semi rant a couple times a year but it still rings true. And before the CC execs hop on and make their first or 2nd post, don't bother, it's just too obvious.

Also very happy any time a new team makes it to the brier or Scotties. Fresh faces are good for the sport, gives the up and comers a slight hope of winning.

02-10-19 11:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

So as an obvious proponent for the brier and it's history and lore, how do you feel about all the changes these last 5 years. You've been around for what seems like 50 years or more right? Adding Team Canada, Team BSCTRS, relegation, watching 20-30 redcoats make their way around the arena, 3 rocks, 4 rocks 5 rocks, 6 rocks, no rocks, 12 ends, 10 ends, 8 ends. Draw the button for the win? WTF?

AND, is recreational and semi competitve curling dying in clubs across the country?

02-11-19 08:08AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

I was pulling for Lyburn too, someone different. From Brandon. I don't think either of the Manitoba teams that were in the final will win the Brier, so thought it would be nice for Lyburn also.

I'm glad we don't have to watch Daley Peters' antics all week in Brandon.

02-11-19 08:37AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I have to agree with you on that!!

02-11-19 08:47AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hard to know which side of the argument to take on this.

On the one hand shouldn't the Brier / Scotties winners be from a pool of the best curlers in the world no matter what it takes ?

On the other hand I hate seeing teams circumvent the rules by taking up temporary residences & enrolling in classes they never attend just push the average joe aside that is a fantastic curler but needs to work 9 to 5 like the rest of us.

I was definitely rooting for the underdogs yesterday so I guess my votes has been cast.

02-11-19 10:30AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Yeah, the comment in my living room was "Drama Queen". And "not my fault"

02-11-19 11:37AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Yeah, the comment in my living room was "Drama Queen". And "not my fault"

There was a classic exchange between Peters and Lyburn. The shot involved an opposition rock partly buried around an opposition corner guard (can't recall if it was the Gunnlaugson game or the McEwen game). Lyburn wants to play the hack weight shot at the partly open rock. Peters is dead-set on the guard run-through. Peters says, "I think I'm gonna make the run-through. Don't you think I'm gonna make it?" Classic case of trying to force the skip to play that shot instead of the obviously better hack weight call. That being said, it's never a good idea to have a player play a shot they don't want to play, they just better make the shot they want, which, in this case, Peters did not....

Were you able to mute the "F" bombs from Peters soon enough in your living room? I caught two - one very obvious one and one that SportsNet was almost able to fade out...

02-11-19 01:58PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Felt bad for Appelman. Best team for 4 games and 6 ends. Then disaster.

02-11-19 02:20PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

There is a nice consolation prize for Appelman, however -- he has been chosen to be Koe's Fifth for the Brier.

https://twitter.com/TeamKevinKoe/st...018851673075712

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 02-11-19 at 02:27PM

02-11-19 08:28PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Too bad Team Canada didn't exist back in the early Brier days;

Otherwise,

Ken Watson might have nabbed 5 or 6 Briers.

He got to 3 Briers from Manitoba, won all 3 with relative ease. Might not have played 1950 Brier in Halifax cuz he retired after 1949 but have no doubt a 46 yr old Watson would have been better than Haligonian Don Oyler (eventual winner)

Watson had 5 or 6 teams that were as good as, sometimes better than his team. Guys like Howie Wood, Jimmy Congalton, Jimmy Welsh, Ab Gowanlock, etc. that could give the great man a great game any day of the week. Large British Consols field didn't help either.

That said - Matt Baldwin would certainly have another Brier to add to his 3.

Ron Northcott, too!

Perhaps Duguid?

EXTRA*** Whipper Watson won a 4th manitoba title in 1842 but the Brier was cancelled due to WWII, also 43 and 44.

Ab Gowanlock would have won at least one more Brier immo had Team Canada existed, perhaps Billy Walsh, too!

ML., your "researcher" needs some help.

1) Don OyIer was not a "Haligonian".

2) He was not born in Halifax.

3) He lived most of his life in Kentville.

4) He did not participate in the 1950 Brier.

5) The 1950 Brier did not take place in Halifax.

Don Oyler was a physician. One of the best curlers in Nova Scotia for many years and the winner of numerous local bonspiels, he suddenly and inexplicably developed a burning desire to not only win the 1951 Nova Scotia Brier but the Canadian Brier as well.

So in 1950 he closed his medical practice, assembled the best possible team being very careful , of course, not to break any residency rules and developed an extensive plan for success; a plan that included entering all possible major bonspiels, playing against the very best, practicing 2 - 4 hours a day, six days a week when they were not in competition. In addition, learning and following meticulously an advanced curling strategy developed by Ken Watson.

After they won the Brier in 1951, the team broke up. Oyler reopened his medical practice in Kentville. At the Glooscap Curling Club hangs a plaque. It reads: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED 1951.

02-11-19 10:17PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I like to see the best from each province. I believe we got that, don’t know about the maritimes though.

i dont know..i just get tired of seeing the same matches all the time. i have seen koe v.s mcewen or koe v.s jacobs so many times. or jacobs v.s mcewen, gushue v.s mcewen or gushue v.s koe. its just not something i want to see all the ****ing time. see at at the slams and canada cup..its enough.

the funny thing is i could have watched stoughton, howard and martin take each other on 100 times and i wouldnt care. those guys taking each other on, it was like chess on ice. it was interesting.

now i see a gushue v.s koe match and all i do is roll my eyes and think "oh crap, not again:.