Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-17-15 12:01AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2015 Junior Men

Webcast begins tomorrow night at 7pm. Dropkin v Clouser if it's the center sheet and that should be a good one.

All discussion of Junior Men's needs to begin with the HPP Dropkin rink. This team has won Men's, Open and prestigious Canadian Junior spiels this year. The skip and third have 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze from National Juniors. They are (beyond doubt) the odds on favorite to win...but it's curling so we'll play the games and see what happens.

The rest of the field in no particular order:

Potomac sends Clawson. I hear they are pretty good curlers and exemplary nice young men. Young team. First time at the Big Dance.

Midland in Michigan sends the Pedersen team. This is their 3rd appearance. In the first two they did not threaten the medal stand. Now experience is on their side.

Minnesota 1 is an interesting team. It is skipped by last year's gold medalist, Jake Vukich out of Seattle. New to him this year are a couple of Fensons from Bemidji and Scheel from North Dakota. Scheel is one of our best young curlers. This team has been playing together, but they've not yet been winning very much. I hear that they really started to jell at State and were quite good.

Minnesota 2 is skipped by Ethan Meyers. His team comes from all over the map. This will be Meyers 4th Nationals. He's been close or in the playoffs in previous appearances. Just one more step needed to medal. I haven't noticed them doing much winning yet.

A very dangerous team comes out of Pennsylvania. Clouser skips with a couple of Dudts and the younger Dunnam. I think they've had 2 coaches and 3 assistant coaches this year...but Linda Christensen takes over for Nationals.

The North Dakota team is from Devils Lake, so this is Home Ice for them. It is a blend of a couple of teams from previous years. They have some National experience. This would be a pretty good team anywhere. On home ice, they might be doubly dangerous.

Connelly comes out of Seattle and he's won this before. Front two are from Seattle. Suslavich jets in from Connecticut to shoot third.

Wisconsin gets two teams. Wisconsin 1 is out of Portage, but has a Wausau kid at second. Wisconsin 2 is all from Wausau. Neither team has much National experience that I can recall.

I hate to chalk out again, but it looks like Dropkin's championship to lose. He already has the Mixed Doubles gold and they've been playing well. Watch and listen to Thomas Howell at third. There is a maturity about his game that is extremely rare in males under 30. Howell and Sarah Anderson are my favorite young curlers to watch. Pay attention to not only their skill levels, but how they handle themselves on the ice.

I like Clouser to make the playoffs and I'll pick them for the silver. Gimme the home team ND for the bronze (coached by my vice skip, I'll be cheering hard). Most intelligent curling fans will have both Minnesota teams making the playoffs and at least one of the Wisconsin teams. Vukich is the defending champion skip and his team is good. I see them in the playoffs. I just don't want to pick only favorites. Meyers could easily prove me wrong; as could the rest of the field.

Dropkin winning with Clouser, Kitchens and Vukich in the playoffs.

Ben Tucker
Hoping to make the entire week with calling Alex Fenson "Eric"...I've done it before

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-17-15 11:08AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I wouldn't be so sure to give it to Clouser...and Clawson ran rampant over the GNCC PLaydowns to earn their spot undefeated. you're right that this is their first dance at the Junior Nationals, but it's not thier first crack at higher competition. The Clawson Kids (scary fact, 4 of them curl...) have been batting above their weight class for at least 3 years I can testify to. I'm not saying thier games don't have holes (they do), but they're more prepared than the usual rookie, IMO.

I'd place the apple from my lunch on them against the field for a playoff berth (of course, I'm not much into fruit anyhow...)

01-17-15 03:27PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Where do I begin?

A. Because it would be morally and ethically wrong, we do not bet on Juniors...........in public.

B. We at Willy's Wagers so not accept "show" bets. We accept Win, Exacta, Trifecta and Superfecta bets. You name the other three in order, Alan, and we may consider taking your apple bet in an extremely discreet location that is shielded even from the eyes of God.

C. My spies confirm your points and are quite impressed with this young Potomac team, but I cannot impress upon you enough the difficulty of excelling the first time you move up a rung on the ladder. Been there...done that. A playoff spot wouldn't shock me, but that would be very impressive indeed.

D. You're a Homer Eastie just like the rest of you Homer Easties (JHcurl current president of the Homer Easties Club). I expect huge viewership numbers for when the Potomac team is featured. Spread the word at your club. Post a notice.

Ben Tucker
haven't packed yet...time to get going

01-17-15 07:18PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Yes, remember that the skip and vice for the HP team is Easties. Easties are starting to take over curling in the US. Soon we will buy ND and move it to a coast, probably West so the Coasties will dominate.

The Clawson team was part of the winner of the Optimist U-18 last year so I think that they have already moved up that rung. Liking the HP team, Clawson and Clouser for the playoffs. Throw in Connolly for an all Coastie playoff (Suslavich skipped that U-18 team).

No betting but Tuck owes me a bunch of beers anyway since I got him to not throw away a 5 of 6 pick six ticket.

JH
good luck to all

01-17-15 07:57PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Is it TESN doing the broadcast?

01-17-15 08:22PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

dropkin is the favorite for sure and he's had a great season i just hope they didnt peak too soon.

01-17-15 08:42PM
pitstop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pitstop Click here to Send pitstop a Private Message Find more posts by pitstop Add pitstop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pitstop
Knee-Slider

Don't forget that Eastie Andrew Stopera is playing lead for the HP team right now against Clouser.

01-17-15 09:27PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Is it TESN doing the broadcast?

No. But we had a few conference calls with them to help them out.

#welovestreaming

-BA

01-18-15 09:51AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

More important things...

I thought Tuck was retired from Webcasting....good to hear him on the mic last night.

01-18-15 01:14PM
mszemple is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mszemple Click here to Send mszemple a Private Message Find more posts by mszemple Add mszemple to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mszemple
Knee-Slider

FYI! Between the various Men's & Women's teams, almost 30% of the participants are from the GNCC.

01-18-15 02:35PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by mszemple
FYI! Between the various Men's & Women's teams, almost 30% of the participants are from the GNCC.

Makes sense, the GNCC is about 25% of the USCA membership.

01-22-15 09:01AM
licurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for licurler Click here to Send licurler a Private Message Find more posts by licurler Add licurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
licurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Looks like the last game of the round robin will not change the top four final standings. The closest thing the Dropkin rink had to a tight game was against the Meyers boys. Going to be a very interesting 1v2 page playoff match tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to watching it on the webstream while I'm supposed to be working.

01-22-15 06:18PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

To this point, Dropkin has not been challenged. I'm not the least bit surprised.

01-22-15 08:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
To this point, Dropkin has not been challenged. I'm not the least bit surprised.

neither am i but at the same time thats not necessarily a good thing. They might not be ready to grind out a win since they have breezed through here

i would think that, as a skip you always like getting tested at least once early or at any point.

that being said dropkin was my pick to win from the start so all is good so far

Last edited by misty1 on 01-22-15 at 08:05PM

01-24-15 03:45PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

meyers has hammer here in the extra tied at 4. ethan really saved the team in that 10th end. up until that point it looked like korey would get 3 or 4. throws a good hit on his first and gets the force

would be a bitter loss for dropkin for sure. undefeated all the way then lose a close final.

hasnt lost yet though so we'll see what happens

01-24-15 04:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

and meyers does go on to win 5-4 in the extra. congrats to team meyers.

feel bad for team dropkin. had a wonderful season, went undefeated and barely challenged all way. beat meyers 2 times before this but came up short when it mattered. and missed a double by a paper's width on his last too

this might take a while for team dropkin to digest

01-24-15 04:49PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Definitely a tough loss for Dropkin but kudos to Meyers for his play today. I thought Meyers' vice had a couple of bad misses, especially in 8th, but Meyers was able make shots to save his team. Great shot by Meyers in 10th when it looked like Dropkin was going to get a bunch. Meyers first shot in 11th left an opening for Dropkin but a narrow miss by Dropkin and we have a new champ

Last edited by dbsdbs on 01-24-15 at 10:51PM

01-24-15 05:56PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Wow, what an upset.

::Insert comment regarding HP Program here::

01-24-15 06:48PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
Wow, what an upset.

::Insert comment regarding HP Program here::

Quite the opposite I feel. He went through undefeated, beat the team that won twice. Pretty much was the dominant force in the field.

It is sports after all, the game is not played on paper. A 5-4 extra end championship loss is nothing to be ashamed of, and the HPP Program really did what is was supposed to. It helped prepare the team that was the class of the field. Upsets can and do happen.

Not making it out of the round robin might have shown a failure, but this is not that.

01-24-15 06:59PM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Hitting Paint

No, given the experience of this team and HP benefits afforded to them it is clearly a huge upset.

01-24-15 07:15PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Upset - Yes. HP team has had a very successful year and went undefeated through the round robin, then beat Meyers again in the Page 1-2 game.
Failure - Absolutely not. HP team lost once all week, and that by 1 rock in an extra end. If their final rock catches a fraction of an inch more of the top rock, Meyers is left with a very difficult shot to win the game. I don't know how anyone can look at the team's performance this year or this week and say their loss today makes them or the HP program a failure.

01-24-15 10:05PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peglegg
No, given the experience of this team and HP benefits afforded to them it is clearly a huge upset.

Just to clarify. My statement about being quite the opposite was about his comment that the HPP was a failure. It was an upset, but those happen all the time.

01-25-15 08:12AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Just to clarify. My statement about being quite the opposite was about his comment that the HPP was a failure. It was an upset, but those happen all the time.

Well, I actually didn't say it was a failure.

I actually wasn't sure what comment to say about the HP Program, but peglegg said it very well, "given the experience of this team and HP benefits afforded to them it is clearly a huge upset".... Emphasis on "HP benefits afforded to them".

And yes, they've had a very good year on the bonspiel circuit, not just junior events, so one who wants to defend the HP Program can talk about their successes throughout the season. But if the goal is to win medals at international events (correct me if I'm wrong, or perhaps the USOC can correct me if I'm wrong), well that's not going to happen now to that HP team.

And perhaps the junior team that does go to worlds wins a medal and everyone's happy since the goal is "to win medals". I don't think it would have been anything to do with the support the non-HP team received (which i'm not sure what that support is, if any). And I don't think having the HP junior program "upped the level of curling" at all across the board, so I'm not sure how the HP program could take credit to any medal that may be won by the US junior boys world team.

Everything aside, I hope the Meyers rink does kicks ass at worlds! Good luck!

01-25-15 10:05AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

didnt someone on here say that the HP teams get invited to the mens nationals or only if they won?

01-25-15 10:38AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

This is why a two loss provision is needed vs. Page playoffs.