Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Hog line violation overturned

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-15 11:56PM
brier1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brier1 Click here to Send brier1 a Private Message Find more posts by brier1 Add brier1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brier1
Knee-Slider

Hog line violation overturned

Class act by Alberta to let team Canada have a throw over after lights were Red for a hog line violation and replay showed it was a malfunction .In the M&M junior final this year Ontario did not get the same ruling consideration as they did at the Brier tonight.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-15 12:05AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Was it really Alberta's decision whether to allow another throw? Would hope that was official's decision. But that makes one wonder why there was not a similar decision in juniors.

03-04-15 12:25AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Carter also thanked the Koe team for allowing the re throw.

03-04-15 12:37AM
brier1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brier1 Click here to Send brier1 a Private Message Find more posts by brier1 Add brier1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brier1
Knee-Slider

Class act by both teams but would have been interesting if the Officials had let the violation stand as in the Scotties and the M&M junior final as iit also was clearly released on the replay ?

03-04-15 12:48AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by brier1
Class act by both teams but would have been interesting if the Officials had let the violation stand as in the Scotties and the M&M junior final as iit also was clearly released on the replay ?

Did officials ever explain why they let violations stand in Scotties and junior if replay clearly showed no violations? Or do the officials not have the ability to reverse any violation?

03-04-15 12:49AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Some more on the story, video and a clear imagine showing Rycroft's clean release:
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=167

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-04-15 02:49AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

This worries me. These sensors should be foolproof, and I honestly thought they were. Yes, they're better than human judgement, but only if they work. The stakes are very high for these games and you just can't have these things being occasionally faulty.

03-04-15 07:26AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i cant recall a year when the rocks mal-functioned this many times. a couple times at the juniors, 4 or 5 times at the scotties and now here.there will,probably be more instances at worlds too

03-04-15 07:51AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Some sensor questions...

1. Was it the same stone that was malfunctioning at Juniors (more importantly, the same handle, since that's where the sensors are...)

2. I work in IT...electronic gizmos aren't really designed in most cases to respond well to repeated significant collisions...like...oh...high weight triple takeouts...acceleration tends to break electronic things...well...more accurately, sudden deceleration...but the point holds...as such...how old is the defective sensor handle?

03-04-15 09:40AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Some sensor questions...

1. Was it the same stone that was malfunctioning at Juniors (more importantly, the same handle, since that's where the sensors are...)

2. I work in IT...electronic gizmos aren't really designed in most cases to respond well to repeated significant collisions...like...oh...high weight triple takeouts...acceleration tends to break electronic things...well...more accurately, sudden deceleration...but the point holds...as such...how old is the defective sensor handle?

Good mechanical design should dampen the force on the electronic components. Use of military/industrial electronic components helps too. I would think the CCA has a manufacturing/usage history of each handle.

03-04-15 09:48AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I concur that good design could work around it...but from what I've seen inside the handles (at least the ones the USCA has, which I assume are similar in design)...there doesn't seem to *be* much of that design in there...it really looked to me like the wires were just routed through the handle, the sensors aren't shock absorbed at all, and the batteries were just wherever they fit...given that, unless something really smart was going on under the covers...I'm not surprised that things are going belly up.

03-04-15 09:58AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I concur that good design could work around it...but from what I've seen inside the handles (at least the ones the USCA has, which I assume are similar in design)...there doesn't seem to *be* much of that design in there...it really looked to me like the wires were just routed through the handle, the sensors aren't shock absorbed at all, and the batteries were just wherever they fit...given that, unless something really smart was going on under the covers...I'm not surprised that things are going belly up.

Yikes, this sounds scary.

03-04-15 10:46AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

First of all, this is one reason why curling is special-kudos to Alberta-it looks like they had made the "re-throw" call before the official even arrived on the scene.

Now about those rocks...

03-04-15 11:14AM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

It looked to me like he didn't set it properly before he threw it. That is not a malfunction of the equipment. That is on the player. Pretty sure the rules say you pull the stone in that case. Having said that, I don't have a problem with Alberta allowing them to throw it over. Classy move on their part!

03-04-15 11:19AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Not sure how you get that off of the video posted, as it doesn't focus on the delivery until just before his push, and most players working with handle stones I've witnessed do the flip as part of their running surface clean and check ritual. The video I saw never even had him checking the bottom of the stone for potential crud...which tells me it was done before the cameras were there.

Once set, the handle is supposed to be "live" for a throw for 60 seconds, so lots of time for that to have been done before the cameras hit him.

There is a visual clue as to whether the handle is live or not, checking for that is one of the things they brief new sensored handle players on...and he isn't even a new Sensored player...so...all told...I'm pretty comfortable saying it's a sensor malfunction, unless there's a different video out there than the one making the rounds.

03-04-15 12:43PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

When the handle fell off the Newfoundland rock on the opening week-end TSN showed the repari guy putting on a new handle. All the wires were exposed and it did not look like there was any shock or vibration dampening material anywhere. For those big weight throws it looked pretty fragile in my opinion as an engineer.

03-04-15 01:53PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Not sure how you get that off of the video posted, as it doesn't focus on the delivery until just before his push, and most players working with handle stones I've witnessed do the flip as part of their running surface clean and check ritual. The video I saw never even had him checking the bottom of the stone for potential crud...which tells me it was done before the cameras were there.

Once set, the handle is supposed to be "live" for a throw for 60 seconds, so lots of time for that to have been done before the cameras hit him.

There is a visual clue as to whether the handle is live or not, checking for that is one of the things they brief new sensored handle players on...and he isn't even a new Sensored player...so...all told...I'm pretty comfortable saying it's a sensor malfunction, unless there's a different video out there than the one making the rounds.

When you flip the rock the lights on the handle go green to indicate the rock has been set. Unless I'm mistaken the lights are not on when Carter makes his first attempt which would indicate he hadn't properly set the rock. Technically Koe would have been within his rights to pull that stone. Although I think the rules should be rewritten. If the lights go red you let the stone play out. If the player was clearly no where near the line the play should stand. If he was close then it's his/her own fault for A) not setting the stone and B) cutting it close to the line.

It was a classy move by Team Alberta. The unfortunate part is Koe thought Carter was not making the runback on his first attempt. That's why I think when the rock goes red they should let it play out. If it's a confirmed hogline violation then they can replace the moved stones.

03-04-15 02:24PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Three
When the handle fell off the Newfoundland rock on the opening week-end TSN showed the repari guy putting on a new handle. All the wires were exposed and it did not look like there was any shock or vibration dampening material anywhere. For those big weight throws it looked pretty fragile in my opinion as an engineer.

Not that you've mentioned it, on collision, what would the forces be on the the plastic handle the gizmo is attached to?

03-04-15 02:43PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

That would depend greatly on the shot thrown...

if we assume a worst case scenario of a high weight runback, then 100% of the momentum of a ~42 lb stone would be accelerated from zero to (speed of the runback attempt) in practically no time at all.

That's a fairly decent shock force...you can't calculate it without exact numbers...which, strangely, aren't easily found online...so the rest of this is assumption (and maybe bad assumption at that...)

If we assume a runback is moving at 25 mph and the momentum is transferred in 0.1 seconds (which I *suspect* to be high on the speed, but I also suspect it to be long on the time of energy transference, so those errors work to cancel each other out, to a degree), it would be 11.36G's of acceleration.

to give a sense of scale...if the shot speed is 15MPH in that same 0.1 seconds, you get a acceleration of 6.82G.

Subjecting a wired circuit to repetitive forces in the 6-10G range without shock buffering is almost certainly not a good thing.

03-04-15 02:47PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Not that you've mentioned it, on collision, what would the forces be on the the plastic handle the gizmo is attached to?

Grade 11 physics: Newton 2nd and 3rd laws. A collision is an interaction between two objects that have made contact (usually) with each other. As in any interaction, a collision results in a force being applied to the two colliding objects. Newton's laws of motion govern such collisions.

Newton's third law of motion is naturally applied to collisions between two objects. In a collision between two objects, both objects experience forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. Such forces often cause one object to speed up (gain momentum) and the other object to slow down (lose momentum). According to Newton's third law, the forces on the two objects are equal in magnitude. While the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, the accelerations of the objects are not necessarily equal in magnitude. In accord with Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is dependent upon both force and mass. Thus, if the colliding objects have unequal mass, they will have unequal accelerations as a result of the contact force that results during the collision.

As luck would have it the math is easier in curling as it is assumed the two rocks are of equal mass.

esy as pie......or is that pi!

03-04-15 09:18PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

speed of the stone

quote:
AlanMacNeill wrote:
If we assume a runback is moving at 25 mph ...

We don't have to assume anything about the speed of the rock. We know the distances and times, so we can obtain the speeds through simple calculations.

25 mph is a bit over 36 feet per second. At that speed, a stone would run from one hog line to the other (i.e. 72 feet) in less than 2 seconds. I don't know of anybody who can throw a rock that hard. Do you?

In competitive men's play, most peel weight shots run from hog to hog in about 7 seconds. That's about 10.2 feet per second, or roughly 7 mph.

Estimating the time required for the transfer of energy is more difficult. But if you run a video one frame at a time, you will see that when rocks collide, they are never in contact for more than one frame. From this we can gather that the time required for the energy transfer is less than 1/30 of a second.

So if you hit a stone on the nose with peel weight, its velocity will change by about 10.2 ft/sec, in less than 1/30 of a second. That's an acceleration of at least 300 ft/sec/sec, or roughly 10G...

... which is quite similar to your original estimate [!] but now we have something empirical to back it up.

And of course the shooter decelerates at the same rate. So the sensors in both stones are taking a beating. It's surprising that they ever work at all.