Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-01-17 06:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Tardi did finish on the podium at Nationals last year. They have qualified for Tankard. They have played on the tour against the best and have won their share of games.They have to be considered one of the best junior team in the nation.

But as I said, it comes down to one game and Habrink will give it 100%. May the best team win.

No, I agree and I'm well aware of all team tardi have done. I have been really impressed with them this year. Beating Jim cotter to win an event in BC earlier this season and making the QF of the tier 2 tour challenge..Although they could have and should have made the send, they had that match against Craig gown.

If they make the Nationals they have a great chance to win.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-01-17 07:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is just one game where you can't help but feel for team habkirk. 2 brilliant shots by tardi for 4 but the scoreboard is not indicative of the game. 4 out onthin ai for tardi in 2 and 4 again in the fourth. Solid build up his time by team tardi but if habkirk rock goes like a foot back and curls a little more trdinis forced

01-01-17 08:15PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

team tardi defend their title, congrats to them.

think team habkirk were the better team early but, again 2 great shots by tyler on his last in end 2 and 4 for 4.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.79.129.219

01-02-17 10:17AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by itsjustagame
Kinda late to join this thread. Sorry!

First the boys.

As in any other Provincials, it comes down to one game - winner takes all - final (except NB, PEI, NS who have full triple knock out systems).

With their track records at Nationals and playing on the tour, you have to consider B.Calvaert (MB) and T.Horgan (NO) as potential National champions. T.Tardi (BC) and K. Sturmay (AB) are certainly in the mix to make the playoffs. It will be interesting to see the Bison squad as they have not been playing together this season. For those who think that the departure of M.Dunstone will be a fatal blow, I believe this team will be even better under the command of Braeden. That young man can make the big ones AND he is SO cool under pressure.

The provincials in the Maritimes being over, it will be interesting to see how newcomers to the national scene will do. This will be the case of G.Blyde (NFLD) and L. Marin (NB). Contenders or pretenders? M. Manuel (NS) will be back for a third time (fourth?). Have they done their homeworks seriously enough to make it to the next level? As the addition of C. Gallant throwing third for the T. SMITH rink (PEI)sufficient enough to make them competitive in the Championship round?

Provincials playdowns coming up this week will be interesting. Who will take over from power house J.Hersikorn (Sask) and F.Asselin (QC) who have aged out after many appearances at Nationals? Ontario has been enigmatic lately. Lots of good teams but none shining at the Big Dance. This could be the year for P. Michaud to emerge. For those of you who have never seen brother Decebal sweeping, have a close look. I believe he is the most powerful sweeper, pound for pound, in the country.

If you have never been to a National Junior Championship, you are missing on a great show!

For the record, Alberta has not had their provincial playdown yet so I'm not sure how you've put Sturmay in the mix to make playoffs at nationals? There are three, perhaps even four, very strong teams in AB.

01-02-17 03:03PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

For the record, Alberta has not had their provincial playdown yet so I'm not sure how you've put Sturmay in the mix to make playoffs at nationals? There are three, perhaps even four, very strong teams in AB.

First line I said : it comes down to one game - winner takes all. I did not say K.Sturmay has won Alberta, or B. Calvaert in Toba for a matter of fact.I did not say every other team is not good enough to beat them. I look at Team Sturmay performance last year at Nationals. I look on how serious they train and what they have accomplished in the last couple of months. You have to consider them as contenders for playoffs at Nationals.

Someone beats them to it in Alberta? Sure it could happen!Isn't that the beauty of it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.200.159.61

01-02-17 05:40PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:

First line I said : it comes down to one game - winner takes all. I did not say K.Sturmay has won Alberta, or B. Calvaert in Toba for a matter of fact.I did not say every other team is not good enough to beat them. I look at Team Sturmay performance last year at Nationals. I look on how serious they train and what they have accomplished in the last couple of months. You have to consider them as contenders for playoffs at Nationals.

Someone beats them to it in Alberta? Sure it could happen!Isn't that the beauty of it?

Perhaps it would have been better stated as the winner of AB would have to be considered a playoff contender at nationals, similar to what it likely is going to be in Manitoba.

If you haven't seen all the teams in a province play, it's very easy to simply cite the one name you know as being the "contender."

01-02-17 08:49PM
itsjustagame

quote:

Perhaps it would have been better stated as the winner of AB would have to be considered a playoff contender at nationals, similar to what it likely is going to be in Manitoba.

If you haven't seen all the teams in a province play, it's very easy to simply cite the one name you know as being the "contender."

No, I am not just stating the team that I know. I am stating a team that is dedicated, mature, skilled and that has a proven track record. That's what my encounters with that team have shown me. There are only a handful of teams that have realistic hopes of making playoffs at Nationals and Team Sturmay is one of them

If I am missing an other team of that caliber in Alberta, please fill us in. We can only gain from knowing great young curlers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.200.159.61

01-03-17 10:53AM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by itsjustagame

No, I am not just stating the team that I know. I am stating a team that is dedicated, mature, skilled and that has a proven track record. That's what my encounters with that team have shown me. There are only a handful of teams that have realistic hopes of making playoffs at Nationals and Team Sturmay is one of them

If I am missing an other team of that caliber in Alberta, please fill us in. We can only gain from knowing great young curlers.

Team Kleibrink and Team Goller on the junior men's side would certainly fall into that same category.

I have no idea what may transpire this week in Edmonton, but all three of those teams should be in the mix this coming weekend and I think it would be a surprise if the winner isn't one of those teams.

01-06-17 02:03PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Live now from Manitoba: Calvert vs Ryan in the junior men's final:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1536

01-06-17 04:59PM
Unregistered

wow. upset in the final there. JT ryan also a very good team but Calvert was the heavy favorite to get to nationals. will be interested to see how JT ryan does.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.79.129.219

01-07-17 08:33AM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

Quite the family story of the winners for Manitoba. The skip of the mens team and 3rd for the womens are siblings. Their father, Jeff Ryan, curled 3rd for many years with Kerry Burtnyk, whose daughter is the skip of the winning team.

01-07-17 03:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sturmay siblings both eliminated from playoffs today. alberta guaranteed to have 2 new champions

01-08-17 12:39PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Ontario games coming up at 1pm.

Men's Final, Scott v Hall, live stream:

http://www.TitleSportsLive.ca

Women's semi, Auld v Armstrong:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1553

01-08-17 01:00PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Live coverage from Alberta as well.

Junior Men: Goller v Van Amsterdam
https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1554

Junior Women: DeJong v Streifel
https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1555

01-08-17 08:27PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

Sandra Schmirler's daughter won the jr women's championship today. She plays third on the Jones rink.

01-08-17 08:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

lots of teams that will be at nationals this year have some big names in this sport in their bloodline

kerry burtnyk's daughter
jerry ryan's son and daughter
sandra schmirler's daughter
richard hart's 2 sons
and i believe tyler tardi is related to cathy gauthier somehow but not sure. i thought i heard bryan mudryk talking about that to cathy during a morning broadcast.
christopher gallant is peter gallant's son and brett gallant's brother

and maybe there are more i'm missing

01-08-17 09:09PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

Cathy Gauthier's son is 3rd on the Manitoba junior mens championship team.

01-09-17 10:51AM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Alberta's Champions

The last of the provincial junior representatives across Canada were determined yesterday.

Alberta has solid winners on both the junior men's and the junior women's side with Team Goller winning the men's championship and Team Streifel winning the women's championship.

Streifel has previous national championship experience so they should be well prepared for the Canadian championship in Victoria. Team Goller carries less experience into the national event but they had a solid showing on the Alberta junior tour and they won a very tough playoff bracket in the provincial championship.

It should be a great event in Victoria starting on January 21.

01-09-17 01:46PM
Unregistered

Just noticed that Curling Canada has announced Shawinagin Que as the host for 2018 Junior Nationals but have the dates of Jan 13-21. Why do they have the Juniors so soon in the year it seems that CC and WCF are making the Junior season shorter and shorter every year, shouldn't they be trying to give the Juniors as much of a season as possible instead of limiting it more and more???
Hockey season for similar aged participants starts in Sept goes to March/April 7.5 months JR curlers get 4 months???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 63.76.129.19

01-09-17 01:52PM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Just noticed that Curling Canada has announced Shawinagin Que as the host for 2018 Junior Nationals but have the dates of Jan 13-21. Why do they have the Juniors so soon in the year it seems that CC and WCF are making the Junior season shorter and shorter every year, shouldn't they be trying to give the Juniors as much of a season as possible instead of limiting it more and more???
Hockey season for similar aged participants starts in Sept goes to March/April 7.5 months JR curlers get 4 months???

2018 is an Olympics year and the date for Canadian Juniors always moves ahead one week during that year. In 2019 it should move back to its more traditional somewhere around the 20th of January start.

01-09-17 02:20PM
Unregistered

quote:

2018 is an Olympics year and the date for Canadian Juniors always moves ahead one week during that year. In 2019 it should move back to its more traditional somewhere around the 20th of January start.

That actually puts 2018 two weeks ahead of the 2016 dates, but a week is not my point what I was trying to get at is that the JR season should be a couple months longer.

Seems to me that the less the kids get to play the less kids that play.

01-09-17 03:28PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

From what I witnessed in Russell, junior curlers need more practicing and coaching.

01-09-17 04:28PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
From what I witnessed in Russell, junior curlers need more practicing and coaching.

I agree and if the season was longer the juniors would have more time to practice instead of having such a confined season.
Problem in Saskatchewan is that once play downs are over there are very little if any events these kids can play in so they are done for the year and have little to no opportunity to improve their skills.

01-09-17 05:27PM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:

That actually puts 2018 two weeks ahead of the 2016 dates, but a week is not my point what I was trying to get at is that the JR season should be a couple months longer.

Seems to me that the less the kids get to play the less kids that play.

But it's only one week ahead of the 2017 dates and a lot depends on how the weekend dates line up on a calendar.

Regardless, the Canadian championship needs to happen early enough so that Canada can declare a champion to send to the world's. This year's world championship starts some time on or around February 15. How late would you like the Canadian championships to start when they are already finishing only 2.5 weeks prior to the world's?

01-10-17 06:31AM
Unregistered

The competitive season may be over early for juniors but they still have great opportunities to improve their skills. It's not like the ice is gone, they still have 2-3 months of ice time. My team used to take that to analyze the season, identify where we needed to improve and then worked really hard with our coach. Those 2 months are the perfect time to try out new technical things so when you start again in the fall you've already improved over last season.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 156.57.151.185