Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-16-18 09:33PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Finally, A BC Curling Tour...

Yup, Curl BC made the formal announcement about 2 months ago and yesterday launched its Tour webpage for the inaugural season of the BC Men's And Women's Curling Tours! Only about 15 years behind the rest of the country, but what the hell. Better late than never, eh?

Except...except...two months after the tour announcement there is only a list of 5 confirmed Men's events (a possible 6th in Kelowna is shown only vaguely as TBA), a team registration page and absolutely no information on event criteria or the points system.

You'd think that within two months we'd have some more info than this. But, if you're an interested team I suggest you email (as I did) Tour Coordinator Daniel Wenzek at juniortour@curlbc.ca with your many questions.

And if you get an answer, post them here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-18-18 10:25PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

so I got my reply from Tour Coordinator Daniel Wenzek.

When is BC Tour, not a BC Tour?

When you simply cut and paste the CTRS event criteria and points system on your website instead of actually a format tailored to BC regional realities and needs.

sigh. opportunity missed.

06-13-18 03:49PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Want an analysis of the BC Curling Tours and why Curl BC is on the wrong track? Read it here:
https://therockstopshere.wordpress.com/

06-14-18 05:35PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

My biggest concern with the tour is the playing in a minimum of 4 events to qualify for the two berths. This is especially worrisome if they are enforcing the minimum of 12 men's teams. Last year there were only three BC events that got to the 12 team minimum. Vernon went with 8 and Kamloops was cancelled after they got 9, and then we all bailed to Alberta events that handed out points. There are currently 6 events on the BC Tour schedule. Let's say we can play in four of these, so we register for those four. If one of those spiels doesn't hit the 12 teams, then we don't qualify for the minimum four events. The likely ones to not reach 12 teams are Vernon and Abbotsford. Both events have minimal prize money, meaning you aren't attracting out of province teams. Both events are on the same weekend as 3 other events, further stopping out of province teams for heading out here.

I asked Dan about it a while ago, and he said that the CTRS changed to 8 teams, so all should be fine. Maybe, but if you are trying to start/grow a BC tour, maybe take out the number of teams required. You can still use the CTRS points calculation if you want, just adjust it to 6 teams if that's all that show up. If there are 6 teams that go to all the spiels, but none of them count, why punish them for playing in the events by not granting spots? The 2 spots would then go to the open qualifier.

I know they are trying to promote teams from playing in more events, but if a team plays in three events, and wins them all, are you going to deny them a spot at provincials because they didn't register for a 4th event? In baseball there are a minimum number of at bats required to get the batting title. If a player is leading the league in batting average, but hasn't reached the number of at bats, MLB will calculate that player's average by giving him an out for the remaining number of at bats to meet the minimum. If he is still the leader after this, he gets the title.

06-22-18 04:23PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

why does everyone automatically think when a new tour/event is put in place it has to cater specifically to their needs?

There has to be a starting point somewhere folks for a first time tour and it can be modified year over year......let's give it a chance before we don't even know it has to be changed!

06-22-18 08:06PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogginsheets
why does everyone automatically think when a new tour/event is put in place it has to cater specifically to their needs?

Obviously, Steve hasn't read any of the BC Tour rules. If he had he would know that it is simply the cutting and pasting of the CTRS rules and Points system and laughingly rebranding it as the BC Tour.

Its just a lazy, sneaky, underhanded effort by Curl BC to give two more berths to teams on the CTRS. The folks in charge should have just been honest and gave those berths to the CTRS.

This 'tour' does nothing to aid spiels and their host clubs in our province. Just ask Nelson, Cranbrook or Quesnel.

06-22-18 08:34PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Dixie Chicks were told many years ago to "Shut up and Sing".

I pass along this advice "Shut up and Curl"

06-23-18 04:28PM
kallaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kallaker Find more posts by kallaker Add kallaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kallaker
Knee-Slider

quote:
The Dixie Chicks were told many years ago to "Shut up and Sing".

I pass along this advice "Shut up and Curl"

Wow! How small minded. Jamcan is entitled to his opinion and he knows curling. Who are you to tell anyone to shut up? I read the BC Curling Tour Standards and Practices and jamcan is 100% right. It is just the CTRS. Maybe you should take his advice and read the tour rules. Your comments sure sound like someone who has little knowledge on the subject.

This isn't a national tour, it's just supposed to be for BC, right? How does forcing spiels to charge more money for entry and not be allowed to have open entry help smaller events? I don't get it. It's like Curl BC actually wants to make spiels fail.

And you're advice is rude. I watched you play with jamcan 2 years ago in Vernon and if anyone should 'Shut up and curl' it's you for all the easy shots you miss. Maybe the advice to you should be 'Shut up and practice!'

06-24-18 06:19AM
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

What a coincidence you registered in June and this is your first post! I’d say a ghostwriter. Too funny.

Like you say we all have opionions and I voiced mine.

You are all welcome to Curling zone gossip and bitching which goes nowhere, I’m off here again for months.

Enjoy the master of bc curling’s ramblings that never end and are always negative.

For a sport you all supposedly enjoy you sure have very little good things to say about it.

06-24-18 08:34PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

You're not taking your toys and running away from the sandbox again are you?

Jesus, Steve. someone posts an opinion that agrees with me and the first thing you do is acuse them of being fake?

WTF is wrong with you?

06-28-18 02:55PM
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

I've never see anyone agree with you before on here.

06-28-18 05:47PM
kallaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kallaker Find more posts by kallaker Add kallaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kallaker
Knee-Slider

quote:
What a coincidence you registered in June and this is your first post! I’d say a ghostwriter. Too funny.

Like you say we all have opionions and I voiced mine.

You are all welcome to Curling zone gossip and bitching which goes nowhere, I’m off here again for months.

Enjoy the master of bc curling’s ramblings that never end and are always negative.

For a sport you all supposedly enjoy you sure have very little good things to say about it.

Haha. You're a strange man. In order to make a post you have to register,

Sorry that you don't like my timing but you only have yourself to blame. Before last week I would just come on and read if anything interesting was being said. It was your rude posts that inspired me to sign up.

06-28-18 05:49PM
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

Glad it took me to inspire you like others couldn't

06-28-18 09:28PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Yes, all very fascinating Steve, but the thread isn't about you so back to the topic at hand.

Received an email update on a couple of positive changes yo the tour. First, minimum number of events a team has to participate in reduced to 3 from 4. Second, minimum field sizes reduced to 8 teams each gender.

Now all thats needed is to: remove the no gender crossover rule, reduce minimum entry fee to $300.00, create an alternative points system which addresses BC and increase the number of BC teams in a spiel to receive tour status from 25% to 50%.

Then we can get smaller evrnts in other regions and maybe, just maybe we'll have an actual BC Tour, not the Vancouver-Okanagan tour we currently have.