Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-19-15 01:53PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

European Playdowns

Paetz & DeCruz win in Switzerland, so they're going to Esbjerg next month. Paetz got past Feltscher in the final, Tirinzoni was in it too but lost the tiebreaker and came in third. DeCruz went one-on-one with Michel, going undefeated throughout.

Sidorova topped Moiseeva in Russia, taking the first 4 of a best of 7 series. No real surprise there. The men's playdown is coming up next. Both the men's and women's playdowns determine who will go to the European & World Championships, so there won't be another one in February. They just made this change prior to the event (right after Sidorova won in Basel), and given the current state of curling in Russia when it comes to depth I think it makes sense.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-19-15 02:19PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thanks .. again..

Boy The Swiss have some VERY strong Teams making it thru..
esp like Paetz ( World Champ)
DeCruz.. with a constantly improving Fourth- Benoît Schwarz.. will be some tough!!

10-19-15 02:27PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Thanks .. again..

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Boy The Swiss have some VERY strong Teams making it thru..
esp like Paetz ( World Champ)
DeCruz.. with a constantly improving Fourth- Benoît Schwarz.. will be some tough!!

No problem.

Yup, they are second only to Canada when it comes to depth with women's curling. With the season Jaeggi is having so far it looks like she could be at that next level (joining Feltscher, Paetz, Tirinzoni) sooner rather than later. Paetz could also repeat what Feltscher did, winning Worlds and Euros in the same calendar year.

Yeah, they aren't too shabby. Nice start this year, could have a really good run in Denmark next month. So far Michel doesn't seem to be having much luck with the adjusted line-up though.

10-19-15 04:00PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

yeah, switzerland has tremendous depth in womens curling. Decruz is a great team. Michel..i dont know but i was never really sold on him. i kind of think he got fortunate for a while because when he first came to prominence andi schwaller and stockli had both retired and DeCruz had not yet gotten to the point where he could consistantly challenge him. I think switzerland does have a great future in mens. they do have DeCruz. schwaller coming up will also be very good, give them a couple years and they will be right there with DeCruz. Romano meier, their last rock thrower is every bit as good as schwarz..if not better. Maybe im wrong on michel..we'll see.

switzerland is well repped at euros.

as is scotland

russia..again it would be nice if someone stepped up to challenge sidorova but it is nice to see them actually using a playdowns and not just nominating a team.

i assume arkhipov will be favorite to represent the men

any news from anywhere else? im betting usrud and edin will be there for norway and sweden . swedish women is a mystery. its a toss up between sigfridsson, hasselborg and ostlund

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.79.129.219

10-19-15 04:01PM
Unregistered

germany i think would be dreindl and baumann. actually i know dreindl will be there for the ladies, not so sure on the men.

10-19-15 04:21PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Sweden Women

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
swedish women is a mystery. its a toss up between sigfridsson, hasselborg and ostlund

Dont know why Cissi Ostlund seemed to be lost in the weeds but now she is gaining some very valuable event experience..

I think ( maybe ) Siggy is fading out and Hasselborg isnt at the top..

10-19-15 04:33PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
yeah, switzerland has tremendous depth in womens curling. Decruz is a great team. Michel..i dont know but i was never really sold on him. i kind of think he got fortunate for a while because when he first came to prominence andi schwaller and stockli had both retired and DeCruz had not yet gotten to the point where he could consistantly challenge him. I think switzerland does have a great future in mens. they do have DeCruz. schwaller coming up will also be very good, give them a couple years and they will be right there with DeCruz. Romano meier, their last rock thrower is every bit as good as schwarz..if not better. Maybe im wrong on michel..we'll see.

switzerland is well repped at euros.

as is scotland

russia..again it would be nice if someone stepped up to challenge sidorova but it is nice to see them actually using a playdowns and not just nominating a team.

i assume arkhipov will be favorite to represent the men

any news from anywhere else? im betting usrud and edin will be there for norway and sweden . swedish women is a mystery. its a toss up between sigfridsson, hasselborg and ostlund

I agree. The gap is narrowing somewhat, between Sidorova and Moiseeva but it will take time. From what I've seen though they are very serious about growing their program and getting depth for both men and women.

Most likely.

No. If I recall correctly Norway does do a playdown, or at least they do for Worlds. Haven't heard anything though, and even with the season Hoiberg is having I don't think they'd get past Ulsrud. Edin is a lock for Sweden.

Yeah, I'm not even sure how Sweden determines who they send...if it's points or just an appointment. I'm pretty sure it's not any kind of playdown. Last year it was Hasselborg (albeit with a different lineup). It will definitely be between those three teams though.

quote:
germany i think would be dreindl and baumann. actually i know dreindl will be there for the ladies, not so sure on the men.

Same here. I think it is Baumann but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not sure about Denmark either now that I think of it.

10-19-15 04:42PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Sweden Women

quote:

Dont know why Cissi Ostlund seemed to be lost in the weeds but now she is gaining some very valuable event experience..

I think ( maybe ) Siggy is fading out and Hasselborg isnt at the top..

It definitely seems like Sigfridsson could be on the downslope career-wise. Can't count them out though.

I would rank Ostlund over Hasselborg at the moment as well.

I think it just took them some time to get comfortable. This is their third season as a team with their current line-up. Before that Annette Norberg skipped and Cissi played vice. Individually they all have a lot of experience (especially Cissi, Sabina, and Sara) and Cissi and Sara have been playing together for quite some time. If I understood Cissi right when I was talking to her in Oakville, this year they're back in the national program (I guess they weren't last year for whatever reason) which means more funding and what not, which translates to more travel, more playing, more experience. That could very well be what makes the difference for them. I really do think they're set for a breakout this year.

10-19-15 04:48PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

nice details on Cissi..

That makes sense why we didnt really see Ostlund last year..

Peja Lindholm makes the choice of who Sweden sends.. so I hope he lets Cissi and this Team really make a run.. for a couple of years...

10-19-15 04:52PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: nice details on Cissi..

quote:
That makes sense why we didnt really see Ostlund last year..

Peja Lindholm makes the choice of who Sweden sends.. so I hope he lets Cissi and this Team really make a run.. for a couple of years...

Ah, I figured it was an appointment of some kind. Thanks for the info!

Agreed.

10-19-15 05:17PM
guycan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guycan Click here to Send guycan a Private Message Find more posts by guycan Add guycan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guycan
Swing Artist

quote:

Yes it was Team Driendl & Team Baumann who were selected by Thomas Lips and the DCV to represent Germany.

10-19-15 05:32PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by guycan

Yes it was Team Driendl & Team Baumann who were selected by Thomas Lips and the DCV to represent Germany.

thanks for confirmation. I saw the news about Dreindl on twitter but saw nothing about the men.

If Peja is selecting teams based off performance on tour elading up to europeans then as of now i would think ostlund would be the favorite . Edin is , again a lock for the men. but unlike with the women im not seeing a lot of mens teams active. actually im not seeing any other mens teams. I did see wrana and mabergs early in the season but they have been absent recently. With those 2 teams probably being the best 2 after edin i would have thought i'd have seen them around more as, i assume they are in the national program as well.

10-20-15 03:47PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Well, Ostlund is going to represent Sweden at the European Championships. I definitely think this is the right call, and as a fan of theirs I am glad to see this.

10-20-15 03:54PM
Unregistered

Its official now? not surprised at all. they have been having a really good season

10-20-15 04:50PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Its official now? not surprised at all. they have been having a really good season

Yup. Posted on Facebook and Twitter earlier today.

10-21-15 08:38AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guycan

Much to Schopp's extreme annoyance. She is pushing for a playdown to see who represents the German Women.