Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-17 07:02PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Hey OC - Edm Journal. But not sure why above link fails. I edited in the correct link and here it is again. I particulary like the comment attributing their decision to the "Russian" system. http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/c...or-skipping-duo ~~nel

Thanks for the link Nelly.
You can just sense the amount of respect Shannon and Heather have for eachother, they really make a perfect fit.
This rotation of skips has me interested in watching them ad seeing how this works for them at a National level. It definitely makes this Scotties even more interesting!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-17 10:27PM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Assuming Homan gets her game back from the lost & found I'd rate the STOH field as follows:

1. Chelsea Carey - 4-1 favourites
2. Rachel Homan - 5-1
3. Krista McCarville - 8-1
4. Shannon Kleibrink - 10-1
5. Penny Barker - 12-1
6. Michelle Englot - 15-1
7. Marla Mallett - 25-1
8. Mary Mattatal - 35-1
9. Quebec - 37-1
10. Field - 65-1

Questions - 1. Will Kleibrink bring her super-sub with her? (ie. Nedohin), 2. Is Englot's daughter eligible to be 5th for Manitoba? If not who would they consider? (my candidates list is as follows - a. K. Lawes, b. S. Birchard, c. K. Einarson.
3. Will Homan be bringing a strategy coach?

Englot (with McDonald) has been one of the top 15 WCT teams for years, and is having an even better season this year, yet you say her odds are below Penny Barker??

I'd like to place wagers on Englot and Homan at your odds. Put your money where your mouth is and please let me know how we can make this happen.

01-31-17 02:10PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

MORE GOBBLEDEGOOK

THE ONLY CODICIL.....

M.L. There is no codicil to the Russian Rotation.

Do you have any understanding, whatsoever, what a codicil is?

Let me answer that question for you. No, you don't.

THE OTHER FACTOR.......

It appears that Eyamie was either 'gassed or too nervous'

and 'could barely throw stones.'

More gibberish. Sheer nonsense at best.

01-31-17 03:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
MORE GOBBLEDEGOOK

THE ONLY CODICIL.....

M.L. There is no codicil to the Russian Rotation.

Do you have any understanding, whatsoever, what a codicil is?

Let me answer that question for you. No, you don't.

THE OTHER FACTOR.......

It appears that Eyamie was either 'gassed or too nervous'

and 'could barely throw stones.'

More gibberish. Sheer nonsense at best.

the one part i do agree with is that it looked like lisa was nervous. perfectly understandable in that situation. show me someone who doesnt get a little nervous when they are just a few shots a way from achieving a life long goa.

01-31-17 06:38PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Fresca..... FRESCA......FRESCA

Yesterday you declared that skip Kleibrink would be cheating

if she used the 'Russian System' in the '17 Scotties.

Posters are awaiting your explanation as to why you

consider this system "CHEATING".

Let's hear from you Kiddo.

The silence is deafening!!!!

01-31-17 07:09PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Not only does he spew for himself, but now speaking for others!!!

01-31-17 08:10PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I don't think there's ever been a pure rotating skip system in modern Canadian ladies curling.

The most rotation I recall was a few years ago when flu & pregnancy caused Kelly Scott's BC team to extensively utilize a 5th player - and forced the pregnant Sasha Carter to step up to the plate and play some 3rd. Even with the 5th they played at least one (perhaps 2) games with only 3 players!

I don't recall when Scotty and Brier teams were allowed 5th players. . . . . perhaps around 1980/81, perhaps later.

Heather Ned & Shannon K might be the first to really utilize the rules regarding 5th player insertion - because its never really been used I can see why Fresca thought it was akin to cheating - as the spirit of the game says the 5th player is normally used in case of injury or illness. However, I don't see any current rule prohibiting rotation.

its not in any way cheating. i really struggle to see how anyone sees it as such.

as you said a 5th player is generally inserted into the lineup only when there is an injury, illness or when a player may be unavailable.

however we have seen 5 player rotations used on a regular basis more than once. the russians of course are the most famous for always rotating their line up. andy kapp would often rotate his front end and of course right now we have tracy fleury using that 5 person rotation with crystal webster.

its perfectly acceptable that they do this. shannon has back issues and so it makes sense for her. not only that but its neccessary for her, she cant play that length of event with her back problems skipping every game.

to anyone who argues that its cheating i would argue that , if anything its a disadvantage slightly. it makes it hard to get into a rhythym

as for it going against the spirit of the game that just makes no sense. i cant think of any sane person who'd think that was the case.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-31-17 at 08:13PM

01-31-17 08:58PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

We musn't forget that Shannon is an olympic bronze medalist. She knows the journey. If this works, they will take it to the worlds, the trials and maybe even the olympics. Now there's an interesting trajectory.

01-31-17 09:10PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Wow, short memories all around. Greg Balsdon used a five man team rotation the whole year he went to the Brier (in Kamloops).

01-31-17 10:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

cheating?

How in the blue blazes is using a 5th player cheating? That's the whole idea for having a 5th isn't it? To sub in when one of the original 4 can't play !!! What difference does it make if it's skip or 2nd or lead.......?

01-31-17 10:28PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
some of the ladys curling on the weekend was harder to watch than the nhl all star game ?

either the ice was horrid or some teams need to practise or retire

in the last couple of ends. Shannon looked tired and in the headlights confused ... could barely call a shot ..

we are a captive audience subject to too many commercials , the slowest moving game in history - too many 4 seconds left to shoot last rok games ????, too many oldtimers hanging on for an olympic gold ...

fortunately the other 40 channels of judge judy, fix my old house reruns , black judges ranting at morons, really strange live cop shows , 20 - 50 year old reruns keeps a million of us entertained from 9 am - 9pm sunday as scot playoffs from ont to alberta are televised

3 rock rule
4 rock rule
5 rock rule
any cheating brooms ok
only one broom ok
5 man teams now with two skips alternating , rationalized by the russians do it lol

10 man teams next - take me now Jesus ...

and Deliverance , if you cant figure out for yourself why alternating skips isnt fair there is no hope for you - as your mother use to say ..

You are just not making any sense you have yet to actually explain how a 5 person rotation is cheating. So go ahead, explain

Wee must have seen different games to,because I thought Shannon looked fine as far as calling shots went

01-31-17 10:55PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

The game that was "amateurish" was the jones/Robertson match. Seemed like neither wanted to win.

01-31-17 11:29PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Fresca.... Fresca.... FRESCA

Your friend, M.L, attempted to justify your atrocious

assertion that Kleinbrink was cheating by using the

Russian System in the Alberta Scotties.

But let's face it, he only confused the issue bringing up

one irrelevant fact after another.

When one accuses a Provincial Champion of cheating, I would

hope that person could back up that assertion with sound

facts; otherwise, an immediate apology to that Champion

is in order.

Do the right thing, Kiddo, and do it now.

02-01-17 01:30AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Fresca, I think you're hilarious, good job!!!

02-01-17 07:06AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Fresca truly is special,cant even defend his or her own claims properly. That's okay . let someone like that think what they want I guess. I have enough experience with trolls like that on mtf to know by now the special brand of thinking can't be reasoned with. Best to let them ramble. My mistake for trying to engage

02-01-17 09:08AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
i never suggested that anyone was cheating by having a fifth person fill in due to an injury

PLANNING on using this IN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is taking advantage of the rules and can best be described as cheating

cheers

Again, Greg Balsdon's team did it in the 2014 Brier in Kamloops. They had used a five man rotation all year long and continued the practice there. Well within the rules.

02-01-17 09:31AM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

Jill Brothers (NS) also used the approach at the 2016 Scotties, they switched out players at the 2nd position (this was not due to illness, as they did this all season long - although there was at least 1 game where a player was ill)

02-01-17 11:23AM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

"Balderson is 2-2 at the tankard - not sure what "alternating technique " he is using so i will refrain from commenting ( til the details become public)"

Okay, so you actually need to read and comprehend the posts Fresca. Greg Balsdon,not Balderson, used a five man rotation at the 2014 Brier in Kamloops, not the 2017 Tankard that is currently taking place in Cobourg. They had a rotation and stuck with it throughout the National championship.

02-01-17 11:41AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Alternating skips at the Scot is like using steering brooms

Both are unacceptable and should be too embarassing to try.

People of my ilk with high moral charactor consider bending the rules offensive -

Balderson is 2-2 at the tankard - not sure what "alternating technique " he is using so i will refrain from commenting ( til the details become public)

if you think that alternating skips every game is ok - try speeding through school zones - should be a hoot for you....

do they have to make a million new rules for you sea lawyers to ensure that Curling stays a fun fair game ?

Using your own analogy, there are strict laws governing the

speed of vehicles in school zones. At the same time, there

are no rules in curling which prohibit a team from alternating

skips. They've been doing it for years.

Hopefully you see the difference; it's significant.

That's why what the Alberta Scotties team did is perfectly

legit and within the rules of the game. And that's why you

owe them an apology. Don't pull a Donald Trump . Do the

right thing.

02-01-17 12:06PM
only4real is offline Click Here to See the Profile for only4real Find more posts by only4real Add only4real to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
only4real
Knee-Slider

quote:
do they have to make a million new rules for you sea lawyers to ensure that Curling stays a fun fair game ? [/B]

to ensure that curling remains a fair game means simply this: having rules which govern the game, and then ensuring the players comply with those rules.

you suggesting that a team should behave in a manner that makes you feel better has nothing to do with the rules that are in place for the game.

would it also make you feel better if Team Norway didn't wear ridiculous pants?

or if Skips had to throw the last 2 rocks?

you get the point? the point is that you don't have a point.

sigh.

02-01-17 01:52PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

Saskatchewan Tankard

The Saskatchewan Tankard starts today, does anyone know if they are streaming these games?

02-01-17 01:56PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

There will be a game per draw on curlsask.ca

02-01-17 03:06PM
hunks13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hunks13 Click here to Send hunks13 a Private Message Find more posts by hunks13 Add hunks13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hunks13
Knee-Slider

Strength of field

Again disappointed to see a field as weak as this one for the Scotties.
If Homan doesn't end up making it out of Ontario, it could quite possibly be the worst field of my lifetime.
Makes me wonder if the Olympics have become so important that nothing else really matters to the top teams?
Unless Homan can get to the Scotties and win, the hopes for Canada to medal at worlds is almost non-existent.

02-01-17 03:52PM
MaritimeCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MaritimeCurler Click here to Send MaritimeCurler a Private Message Find more posts by MaritimeCurler Add MaritimeCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MaritimeCurler
Knee-Slider

Little known fact (at least not mentioned so far): Melissa Adams (formerly McClure), the NB winning Skip, is the 1998 Canadian and World Junior Curling Champion!

Could be a dark horse in the field if they sneak past the experience of Kerry Galusha's team in the relegation round.

02-01-17 03:52PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

Thanks Bobby S