Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Way too much celebrating!!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-12-15 07:53PM
JJR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JJR Click here to Send JJR a Private Message Find more posts by JJR Add JJR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJR
Knee-Slider

I too just registered to comment. I find that sort of celebrating offensive in the extreme in curling. It is counter to the basic sportsmanship that the rules and customs of curling preach. I've watched curling for years and have been curling for two years now that my health finally is good enough. And one reason I love curling is that it is a sport for gentlemen (and gentlewomen) where the sportsmanship and fair play are paramount - imagine actually calling your own errors such as burning a rock. It is no sport for a bunch of baboons with swelling heads - no matter how good you might be ... and dare I say they should not be the Canadian Olympic representatives for reasons of poor sportsmanship alone which again runs counter to the Olympic ideals.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-12-15 07:54PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Man I can't believe this thread exists. People are claiming to speak on behalf of competitive curlers and on behalf of a community. Brad Jacobs and Pat Simmons are completely different guys and their celebrations should not be the same at all. The Jacobs team wants to win a Slam event so bad and that is probably why they get excited with a win to make the final. But I could be wrong. I am cheering for McEwen in the final but if Jacobs wins they can chest bump all they want and it is not a bad thing. I am also not a young person but I accept that some perceived correct curling manners are disappearing and that is OK.

04-12-15 08:21PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I think you've got that wrong. They're voicing their own opinions. They have that right.

As for celebrating? Well, every generation has its Paul Gowsell. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's not being put deliberately in the face of their opposition in an attempt to bully. And I don't see them doing that.

Curling fans are pretty smart. If they don't like what Jacobs is doing, they'll hear it from the stands.

04-12-15 08:28PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i think people need to cool down here. these guys wear their hearts on their sleeves and like i said they want a grand slam title badly.

they do go overboard at times but they are passionate abiut this game.

I agree. Other teams have gone overboard too. Afterall they were down, and it was not looking good, but Brad came thru when they needed him most.

They went from feeling the loss coming to what?! We did it!

They are cool when they lose. They don't show poor sportsmanship as Johnny Moe has. That is a forum onto its own.

04-12-15 08:35PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by JJR
I too just registered to comment. I find that sort of celebrating offensive in the extreme in curling. It is counter to the basic sportsmanship that the rules and customs of curling preach. I've watched curling for years and have been curling for two years now that my health finally is good enough. And one reason I love curling is that it is a sport for gentlemen (and gentlewomen) where the sportsmanship and fair play are paramount - imagine actually calling your own errors such as burning a rock. It is no sport for a bunch of baboons with swelling heads - no matter how good you might be ... and dare I say they should not be the Canadian Olympic representatives for reasons of poor sportsmanship alone which again runs counter to the Olympic ideals.

Kevin martin always blamed ice for his losses. Johnny Moe broke brooms.
This is bad sportsmanship when you can't face your loss. Celebrating a win?
These are still kids from the sticks that moved forward with minimal sponsorship. Their success surprised everyone. That might be part of the negativity. Feeling they really don't belong. I feel they have earned their spot on the podium. Mike McEwan is quieter, but they too love their wins. But, look how Mike behaved after his loss in Feb. All curlers put their whole souls on the line. There is a lot of money that can go a long way to helping them further their goals. Mike has done well on the circuit this year. He has earned every penny.

Anyone see Gushue's tears at the Brier loss? Again hearts on thier sleeves. But he said he thought it was their year. Disappointment. But no broken brooms. No foul language. But he could not hold in his utter dissappointment.

04-12-15 08:37PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28

I believe it was a graduation - don't think a university will postpone a graduation for one curler to play a G.S. tie breaker.

Think before you speak, ya old fart!

Ha ha!! What they won't in Alberta where curling brings more success than hockey??

04-12-15 09:02PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

Kevin martin always blamed ice for his losses. Johnny Moe broke brooms.

Anyone see Gushue's tears at the Brier loss? Again hearts on thier sleeves. But he said he thought it was their year. Disappointment. But no broken brooms. No foul language. But he could not hold in his utter dissappointment.

Did you also see Gushue's celebration, which pales in comparison to Jacobs, when he beat Koe in an xtra end.
He almost ran down to apologize for it instantly.

04-12-15 09:26PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Did you also see Gushue's celebration, which pales in comparison to Jacobs, when he beat Koe in an xtra end.
He almost ran down to apologize for it instantly.

Almost

04-13-15 12:00AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:

There's a thing called class. Something that Jacobs and his team will never have no matter how much they might win (or lose).

04-13-15 12:24AM
thefish46 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thefish46 Click here to Send thefish46 a Private Message Find more posts by thefish46 Add thefish46 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thefish46
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SooCurler

This thread actually made me register. It bothers me that people think it is acceptable for curlers to behave the way the Jacobs team did and do.

Unlike pretty much everyone here I HAVE played against Jacobs and the Harndens even before they made the jump to the national scene. They behaved like spoiled children even then. Imagine all the same screaming, swearing and broom slamming you see from them at the Brier or a GSC event, but during a Tuesday night men's league.

Unfortunately the Soo, being a small town, have idolized these man children to the point of stupidity and they get away with far too much up here and no one is willing to call them on it. Pat Simmons, winning the Brier is a prime example of how to celebrate. Mike McEwen defeating Epping, that is an example of winning graciously. What the Jacobs rink do is embarrassing for Sault Ste. Marie and curling.

Wow Do you realize that this is the same bunch of guys that,
-for 2 years had the Team Jacobs Challenge Weekend, Over 100 kids both years given full access and instruction from them, ask the kids, they had great time.
-Since Team Jacobs started for last 5 years over 25 people have enrolled into the Learn to curl program at SooCurlers
-The Olympic Run helped sell over 2500 units of clothing and helped raise over $20 grand.
-Brad himself signed up for Monday league curling last year with 5 friends that have never seen the inside of SCA. There still curling!

I really don't understand what mean by they get away with to much here, I prepare ice for them for practice when there not doing events. they are polite and appreciative.

Yes I do agree that the broom banging is bad at times, there not the only ones. That's what I used to say!

O you should change your handle to ANTI-SooCurler
-

04-13-15 02:40AM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by thefish46

-for 2 years had the Team Jacobs Challenge Weekend, Over 100 kids both years given full access and instruction from them, ask the kids, they had great time.
-Since Team Jacobs started for last 5 years over 25 people have enrolled into the Learn to curl program at SooCurlers
-The Olympic Run helped sell over 2500 units of clothing and helped raise over $20 grand.
-Brad himself signed up for Monday league curling last year with 5 friends that have never seen the inside of SCA. There still curling!

I really don't understand what mean by they get away with to much here, I prepare ice for them for practice when there not doing events. they are polite and appreciative.

Yes I do agree that the broom banging is bad at times, there not the only ones. That's what I used to say!

-

nice to hear from someone who actually knows them and what they do. There are a lot of haters out there who are not willing to acknowledge these young fellows who climbed out of club curling because they have worked hard at curling and their day to day lives. And from this post they are giving back to the system that helped them get to where they are.

Ryan Fry used to be a wild one. Look how being with a team who he fits in with has settled him down. Now he is on a winning team. Gushue never appreciated him, but Brad and boys gave him a chance and look where they have ended up. Brad and his cousins will learn from people's comments and they too will change. but right now they are happy for their success.

I don't like over enthusiastic responses because that is my personality. But I would never call this unsportsmanlike. Over the top yes but when I sit there in my rocker (figuratively) and my blood pressure goes up with each shot, I cannot imagine the feeling of success for these young men.

Give them a break.

Tell them you would prefer to see a more mature response. You did see one tonight. and at the Olympics. But the non fans are not being sportsmanlike in hurling their insults.

Thank you for sharing the good Team Jacobs has done.

Rant is over

04-13-15 07:43AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

I enjoyed the rant lol. I follow that team and know of the good that they do. This year has been especially tough in the aftermath of an Olympic Gold, so this win is awesome for them.

04-13-15 08:03AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

One of the main things I love about curling is the culture of sportsmanship that has been engrained in the sport. There are the "unwritten rules" that state one should lose with dignity and be humble in victory (or something like that). Whether you are emotional or not, I think you should shake hands with your opponents first and then do you team celebrations should you win. I don't want curling to be like most sports where they do elaborate celebrations. Having said that, the Grand Slams are more fan oriented so I wouldn't be surprised if Team Jacobs did some of the celebrations to "entertain" the fans.

04-13-15 09:04AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

I went back and looked at the final end of the Jacobs/Bottcher(Middaugh) game thinking I would see something interesting.

There was nothing interesting.

They scored three out of nowhere to make a Grand Slam final. So they celebrate in a manner no way out of the ordinary. The celebrated a little more after the handshakes.

You want to see how Team Jacobs celebrates when a game is truly handed to them out of nowhere by a mistake from the other team? Look at the reaction to McEwen's last shot in the final and watch the interview after.

You people are 100% full of crap.

04-13-15 11:20AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

How did Mike slip into a coma? The front end jumped the rock and they and BJ are at fault---not Mike. And it's very unsportmanlike--and by extension un-Canadian---to kick a guy when he loses, as you like to do with Team McEwen. I guess it then makes perferct sense that your okay with Team Jacobs acting like a bunch of morons just seconds after basicly being handed the win. Regardless of Wayne's past transgressions, he played his heart out for those boys and they deserved some respect.

04-13-15 11:20AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Not really a total team brainfart. Mike threw that one as good as he could. Put it in the sweepers hands just like he should. The whole way down was saying sweep for tee and its good, and bj was saying i think its here. The brushers got a little pumped and over cooked it. They know they messed up. It happens and it sucks and you got nowhere to hide. They make that shot 99% of the time, Just sucks when 100 grand is on the line and thats the time they miss it. Still a great season tho.

04-13-15 11:29AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by thefish46

-

But see, this exactly what I am talking about. Their good deeds in one place do not excuse bad behaviour elsewhere. This is the unwillingness to call them out on things I am talking about. That rink is known for their tantrums and their bad behaviour on (and in some cases off) the ice. And as we found out at the Brier they are bullies too. They didn't just hit Matt Camm on the foot once you know. They hit him and Mark Kean multiple times they just got caught on camera once.

I agree with you, their community work is GREAT. Bravo for them, but in doing so they should also remember they are role models for all those kids they are teaching. Sportsmanship is a fundemental part of the game. Its the reason we shake hands before every game and after. Its the reason we sit down for drinks with our opponent after. To ignore breaches of these unwritten rules because they do good things elsewhere is flawed. We should be holding our role models to higher standards than that.

I'm not an anti-soo curler, I'm simply asking that our curling representatives behave in a way on the ice that reflects the community. The Soo is a great friendly place to curl. SCA is one of the best communities I've every been a part of, but I don't want that sort of behaviour being associated with our great community.

04-13-15 12:15PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's never supposed to happen my friend and that's why they play. I'm beginning to think you have it in for McEwen for some unknown reason. The reality is this: he (and I don't care about numbers, they rarely tell the entire story)threw a perfect rock and relied accurate info to his sweepers. If they don't get caught up in the moment, the rock lands on the pin and we're talking about one of the greatest years ever. Moreover, people better start realising that curling is going the way of golf, in that there's a new winner every week and aside from the odd Tiger---nobody dominates week in and week out. Carruthers had a dream day at the Monitoba playdowns and if he was playing in any other province, someone other than McEwen would have been bounced. I suspect he will get through next year as he strikes me---especially after seeing him conduct himself this week in toronto---as a real leader. He could of blew that squad up---as is the case with many who lose---but didn't. He could've blame the jacobs teram for poor sportsmanship or thrown his front end under the bus but elected instead to handle the crushing defeat with grace and class. Many could learn from Mike and his crew and there will be many happy fans cheering for him when he breaks through in the future.

04-13-15 12:28PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Sounds like the team is the Bubba Watson of curling...I have to agree a bit over the top for a SF win

I'm guessing you don't watch golf. Bubba is humble and self deprecating. Listen to him cry after winning his 1st Masters. He was waiting behind the 18th green this year when Ben Crenshaw walked off for the last time.

He's much closer to Patrick Reed or Jeff Overton if Overton was more successful.

04-14-15 04:00AM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

I watched the Middaugh shove today for the first time.
Wayne approached Ryan from behind. Ryan could not see him. Wayne could see Ryan. Wayne could easily have moved well around the guys but instead he walked right into their celebrations.

If they were in cars, or on a ski hill, since Wayne is a skier, The person behind is responsible for watching what is happening in front so you don't hit them.

But there are so many Wayne fans, that to suggest he might have hit Ryan a bit harder than necessary would start a whole new angry debate.

There is a group who just seems to have a hate on for Team Jacobs.

Talk about sanctions?, then the videos of Wayne will have to be reviewed too.

Those who don't like Team Jacobs that have curled against them or along side them, in the Soo, are not at these events are they? Not at that level that requires hard work and dedication. Easier to criticize than go out and beat them.

http://

04-14-15 08:06AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agreed. Far to much made of this, and I'm sure that Wayne was pi$$ed that Brad made that awesome shot for the win

04-14-15 09:35AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

Those who don't like Team Jacobs that have curled against them or along side them, in the Soo, are not at these events are they? Not at that level that requires hard work and dedication. Easier to criticize than go out and beat them.
[/URL]

Seeing as there are only two people from Sault Ste. Marie that have posted, I can only assume you are referring to me.

It appears that no one wants to discuss this without appeals to baseless accusations of being "haters" or "sour grapes" or that someone doesn't have the right to criticize since their not on that stage. You don't know who I am you don't know what level of curling I have participated in or what exposure I have had. Not to mention that just because someone has had success from hard work doesn't make them free from criticism. If we follow your logic pretty much no one can criticize films, or any art for that matter. We can't criticize politicians or corporate executives. Silliness.

Your silly straw man argument does not lead us anywhere, all it does is invite pointless argument that has absolutely nothing to do with Team Jacobs behaviour.

I have personal experience with their bad behaviour and I have seen what they deem as reasonable behaviour when televised. I don't believe their on ice behaviour, especially on the national stage, fits within the spirit of the game. And I am not prepared to grant them a pass simply because they worked hard or have great community out reach. Their young, I'll grant that (although not that young) and maybe they need to learn some civility (although if you haven't learned it by 27 you aren't going to ever learn it) but I don't see any of the excuses offered so far in this thread as reason to abandon my position. And clearly there are others who feel the same way.

So either provide me a reasoned position as to why curling should move more towards the bravado of hockey or football instead of staying the sport it has been for the last 100 years or forget getting any further responses out of me.

And before we go down the road of "well look at Wayne" or "look a Johnny Mo" etc. etc. I don't agree with their behaviour either. But this thread is about Team Jacobs and two wrongs don't make a right. I expect all curlers to behave themselves in games, it was something that was drilled into me as a junior curler by on and off ice officials and coaches. I do not believe that is an unreasonable expectation to have of our nationals top teams. Especially our nations top teams who are role models for future generations of curlers in this country.

04-14-15 09:43AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

curling is the only sport in the world that expects you to hold all of you're emotions in and maybe thats wrong. Maybe its okay to see curlers express that frustration or joy associated with certain situations regardless of how big they are.

as long as they shake hands and make sure to show the opponent respect in that regard and do it first maybe its not that bad

just as long as dont start seeing curlers rip shirts off

04-14-15 01:05PM
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have no idea what's wrong with expressing "joy", especially after feeling that you're down and out in the game. It's very difficult to repress, and such fun to behold

04-14-15 01:18PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

I'm guessing you don't watch golf. Bubba is humble and self deprecating. Listen to him cry after winning his 1st Masters. He was waiting behind the 18th green this year when Ben Crenshaw walked off for the last time.

He's much closer to Patrick Reed or Jeff Overton if Overton was more successful.

Was referring to a PGA players survey which had him as the least liked player on tour....but he actually said he was glad to know and is working on improving himself.