Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > First Grand Slam Event

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-05-17 01:25PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

First Grand Slam Event

So looking forward to the first team event of the season. I'm ready for some curling and have planned my Thurs onward around it. Good luck to everyone. Play well.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-05-17 01:42PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I'm here in Regina to see it. First draw is in just under 5 hours. How to kill that time...hmmm.

09-06-17 12:55AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Here's a little report on today's action, the parts I was paying attention to anyway.

The first session had only three matches going. It was scheduled to be five, but some of the teams that were in Ontario haven't arrived yet due to weather problems out there. I was concentrating on Muirhead vs. Wang in Sheet C. Both teams shot the lights out all match long, including one sequence with two rocks either side of the center line forming a narrow port that the thirds and skips somehow managed to squeeze the next 7 rocks in a row through to get at rocks on the button. Spectators around me said they'd have seen anything like it, It went to an extra end, and though Muirhead made an awesome draw, Wang matched it with a slightly better hit and she won 7-5 in one of those matches you wish no one lost.

Teams in the night session were more up-and-down, showing rust, apart from Team Englot who ran away from Sweden fairly easily. Homan was upset by Harrison, and Shuster beat Koe.

Nearly every seat is full. All of the seating is on one side of the sheets, which I wish had a little more legroom. I'm speaking of the Tier 1 event here.

The Tier 2 rink has no true arena seating at all. Anyone wishing to watch that has to get one of the few table seats along the windows overlooking the ice sheets below.

09-06-17 07:25AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

First team games

Thanks for the update. Hope you enjoy the rest of the games. I'm still looking forward to Thursday and the television coverage.

09-06-17 09:08AM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

In the Epping vs Simmons game the scoreboard shows Epping 10 Simmons 2 yet the other post shows Simmons 7 Epping 6 so which one is right?

09-06-17 10:14AM
Observer
Swing Artist

I remember them shaking hands early after Epoing put up a 4, so I'm pretty sure the 10-2 score is right.

09-17-17 11:23AM
Observer
Swing Artist

So, can I remember everything I wanted to post while this was going on while I was there...hmm...

Well, a few bits.

I was there throughout the round robin but had to drive home on the weekend so I missed the playoffs.

The competition was terrific and the people were awesome and amongst the very friendliest I've ever met at a sports event.

I love that even though it's a major TV event you can still have accidental encounters with the "stars" just out in the corridors or in the bar that overlooked both events. Like when I was casually going out a door and Rachel Homan passed me going the other way.
The largest "encounter" like this was when I went to one of the overlook seats in the bar to watch some of the Tier II event, and a very fit looking guy wound up sitting next to me, and we wound up chatting throughout the match as we were both there watching Chelsea Carey's team play. As it went on and some of his friends found him and they talked I realized this guy was someone I should know, and came to find out afterwards it was Brett Gallant, the second on Brad Gushue's team. He'd been watching Jocelyn Peterman in particular as they're mixed doubles partners. That was really cool, basically getting a personal color commentary from a top player throughout the match. Thanks Brett!

(That match turned weird at the end as I noticed that Carey's time clock was running down, and said so, and clearly the team on the ice hadn't noticed as they were still thinking hard as the clock ran under a minute. And in the Tier II arena, there was no direct seating...the audiences had to watch through glass windows in the bar overlooking the ice and so the audience couldn't make any noise they could hear that might make them aware they've lost track of the clock. They finally noticed and threw a rock with exactly 9 seconds left, and still had another rock to throw! They managed to get that one off without getting timercided, but they still lost the match on points. They weren't in a good spot by then anyway even without the time issue, but that certainly didn't help.)

Another nice feature was that when the TV coverage began, they had the Sportsnet sound broadcasting on an FM signal. I had a portable radio along in my car and was able to hear it all live as it was going. Neat.
The last grand slam I went to, the National last year, didn't have this.

My only issue with the event was the somewhat rickety ticketed seats i the main arena that had little legroom, which may have exacerbated a problem I've been having with my right knee lately. ( I'm finally going to see a doctor about that tomorrow. )

09-17-17 02:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Nice to have the forum alive again. My rant of that spiel:
Have watched and enjoyed the curling this week , and just saw the men's final . This game was over early(handshakes) at about 1:30 and programming was slotted till 2:00. I could not believe that CBC cut away immediately and commenting crew could not or did not even reference the final game of tier two event, score 7-6, on adjoining sheet, which I assumed they would now cover. This is beyond ridiculous and if this is dictated by CBC, it should be the last game that curling allows them to air. This would not have happened with SN.
The Tier two teams were worthy of being at the grand slam, and to be treated this way is a sham.

09-17-17 04:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Agree 100%

This would have been the perfect time to have the tier 2 showcase their talents. In many cases the only difference between tier 1 and 2 is time and money, not talent.

09-17-17 08:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

hasselborg's problem is finishing off events. that team plays brilliantly, looks to be in better form than anyone then cant close out the final. thats 2 finals in a row now that they grabbed the lead early but the opponent was able to come back and steal the win. you have to give val and eve credit too but stillthat must be frustrating.

the word on anna specifically is out now. make her draw.when shes under pressure if she has to draw more often than not she'll miss. she's a great hitter but she lost the euros on a draw and while i didnt see the final shot today id bet it was a missed draw.

when i see anna im reminded of sigfridsson. lots of talent but margaretha is the worlds constant bridesmaid.

09-17-17 09:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Anther early season note: walstad is on fire. 2 seems and a final in he 3 events this year and a lot of impressive wins. I don't know f Norway have chosen their Olympic rep yet( an act that might be a waste of time since I'm convinced it's entirely possible there won't be any) they are making a strong g case. If Norway has chosen and it's not them it looks like that's maybe lit a fire in them

09-17-17 09:39PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Ulsrud is going to the Oly's.

09-17-17 10:36PM
Observer
Swing Artist

Team Hasselborg had a Facebook live feed running of the match that I caught the second half of. The play in the extra end was all to the house opposite where the camera was, so it was hard to tell exactly where the stones were in the house, but at the end Muirhead had two stones almost side by side on or near the top half of the button. Hasselborg attempted some sort of draw/tap to push the shot stone out and be shot herself, but she was extremely light on the shot and it never got there.

There was also some very questionable strategy in 8 where she threw a guard of her own and didn't peel it or others thrown by Muirhead's team until late, and by then Eve had her 3 all set up.

Last edited by Observer on 09-18-17 at 08:56AM

09-19-17 08:40PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

ANNA HASSELBORG {AH} HAS had a difficult time successfully closing out the playoffs of major spiels over the last several years, but don't count her out just yet!

I remember back in 2010 when she won the world juniors and was a thorn in Rach Homan's
side. Unlike Homan, however, who used this as a platform to better things, AH virtually disappeared from the world curling podiums for several years.

But now , she's back. And what I find so amusing now about her is her quirky ritual, on ice- routine: an excessive disorder which causes her to clean her SLIDER three times before the delivery of each of her rocks, every single end!

Reminds me of Nadal towelling his face, left side first, then right side, then each of his arms,then adjusting the left, then the right shoulder of his shirt, etc. This excessive anxiety disorder presumably allows him to concentrate and reduce stress.

Unfortunately, AH's cleaning process has not benefited nearly as well.

09-20-17 08:58AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Like last year, I feel the top teams start out slowly as they have to build towards the important events. Unlike Muirhead or Hasselborg, Homan has to play in the trials and then get ready shortly after for the Olympics. The other international teams already know they are going. Canada's top teams know when to peak. Remember Jones in 2014?

09-21-17 05:25PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

"Canadian teams know when to peak. Remember Jones in 2014?"

THERE'S NOT much doubt that virtually all competitive teams know exactly when they should peak; it's another matter, however, to know how to convert that process to championship wins.

Yes, I remember Jones in 2014. And I also remember Jones in the 2009 Olympic Trials when she finished 6th. And I'm certainly aware that in 2005 (Worlds), 2006 (Scotties), 2007 (Scotties), 2010 (Worlds), 2011 (Scotties), 2012 (Scotties), 2013 (Scotties), 2015 (Worlds), and in 2016 (Scotties), Jones failed to rise to the challenge and deliver the championship - despite having very competitive teams.

Seems to me she has come to the gunfight far too often - over an extended period of time - with only knives. Pity.

And you, Curlerbroad, do you remember Jones in Gimli, 2008?

09-21-17 06:37PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Gimli....

not Gimli again.....been so re-hashed some many times. We all know everyone has their opinion.