Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-19-15 05:27PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

Why are you guys arguing over something that's never going to happen?

Also Team Canada wasn't added just for marketing purposes. It's a way to get one more good team in the event.

anything can happen, Team Canada team members come down with the flu and cant field a team for games, injuries etc, and originally Team Canada was added as a marketing tool for the Scotts.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 02-19-15 at 05:29PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-19-15 08:44PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just wondering why team Canada cant get demoted to relegation if they finished last ? Is there a law against the team wearing the maple leaf coming a couple of days early to participate in relegation round. I dont see an issue with that at all.

Lets not get too worked up about it. Its only going to be a 3-4 year fad. We'll all be back in before long.

02-19-15 10:13PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

One thing that likely has to change is moving the pre-qualification. It would benefit all if a playdown occurred well before the event so that fans can make travel arrangements and teams will actually feel like they belong (listen later to our upcoming Around The House podcast for some interesting reveal about the Scotties opening banquet).

They don't run the pre-trials the week heading into the Trials, right? The issue with pre-Trials and pre-Scotties would be too few teams, lack of interest, etc, but would that outweigh some of the issues we have now?

Now that we've altered these events, perhaps we could start looking even more dramatically at possible changes.

Rather than provincial playdowns (and let's be honest, some provinces have actual playdowns others involve sending in two cereal box tops for an entry), maybe there could be reagional qualifying with several teams from each province, based on numbers of curlers and/or clubs. A West Regional (BC, AB, SK, MB), Northern regional (NWT, Y, Nunavut), East (ON, QC) and Maritime (NB, PEI, NF, NS).

With a (ugh, why oh why) Team Canada, that makes for 10 spots from these 4 regions. 1 from the North, 2 from Maritimes, 4 from West, 3 from East.

Or, you could dump team Canada and just give a spot to the team with most CTRS points.

I'm not saying I like the idea, but I suppose I'm open to anything. Of course, let's say Team Canada is from MB, and this resulted in 3 MB, 2 AB, 3 ON and 2 NS teams and 1 NWT team, would everyone else watch? Would anyone show up to cheer? What would happen to the NO moose call?

Nah. On second thought, let;s just go back to the way it was. Please?

02-19-15 10:24PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Donr

2004 Mark Dacey

Nope. Menard. 2006.

02-19-15 10:30PM
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by doogie41
First time poster here.

Quick question about relegation/pre-qualification. Does anyone know what happens if all 3 teams finish the round robin at 1-1?

The top 2 go to the final so would they advance based on cumulative draw to the button totals?

Thanks for you help!

doogie41. Welcome to the Curlingzone forum. Please go easy on Manitoba Legend, it may not be entirely his own fault, it could be hereditary.

Sadly it appears no one responded to your first post. Shame on everyone here (unless I missed it).

I also want to know the answer to this question. What if there's a 3 way tie at the bottom?

02-19-15 11:16PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

i think then the two teams to play the final game would be chosen based on the cumulative totals of their draws to the button.

02-19-15 11:18PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
Just wondering why team Canada cant get demoted to relegation if they finished last ? Is there a law against the team wearing the maple leaf coming a couple of days early to participate in relegation round. I dont see an issue with that at all.

Lets not get too worked up about it. Its only going to be a 3-4 year fad. We'll all be back in before long.

I know I should stop arguing this as it will never happen but I cant help myself. Team Canada is the champion, that's the point of having it. So if a team Canada was in the position to be relegated that team would be able to play their provincial playdowns and be right back in the main competition next year. The team that becomes team Canada and possible world champion would have to be in a relegation round, how does that make any sense while the team that put them there could be in the main event and the champions relegated.

Lets all just agree that relegation and team Canada should be removed and have a 14 team event.

02-20-15 03:00AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
One thing that likely has to change is moving the pre-qualification. It would benefit all if a playdown occurred well before the event so that fans can make travel arrangements and teams will actually feel like they belong (listen later to our upcoming Around The House podcast for some interesting reveal about the Scotties opening banquet).

They don't run the pre-trials the week heading into the Trials, right? The issue with pre-Trials and pre-Scotties would be too few teams, lack of interest, etc, but would that outweigh some of the issues we have now?

Now that we've altered these events, perhaps we could start looking even more dramatically at possible changes.

Rather than provincial playdowns (and let's be honest, some provinces have actual playdowns others involve sending in two cereal box tops for an entry), maybe there could be reagional qualifying with several teams from each province, based on numbers of curlers and/or clubs. A West Regional (BC, AB, SK, MB), Northern regional (NWT, Y, Nunavut), East (ON, QC) and Maritime (NB, PEI, NF, NS).

With a (ugh, why oh why) Team Canada, that makes for 10 spots from these 4 regions. 1 from the North, 2 from Maritimes, 4 from West, 3 from East.

Or, you could dump team Canada and just give a spot to the team with most CTRS points.

I'm not saying I like the idea, but I suppose I'm open to anything. Of course, let's say Team Canada is from MB, and this resulted in 3 MB, 2 AB, 3 ON and 2 NS teams and 1 NWT team, would everyone else watch? Would anyone show up to cheer? What would happen to the NO moose call?

Nah. On second thought, let;s just go back to the way it was. Please?

I think the biggest problem with this year's pre-qualification was having it run just before and even during the event. It took away the fun vibes at the start and generally seemed like the cruelest way to eliminate the extra teams. As long as it stays that way, it will be received very negatively.

I don't mind a pre-qualifier that is set up a couple weeks in advance, because the teams in question can treat it as a part of playdowns. The tough part about this is all the travel, although the territories have been dealing with that problem for a long time anyway.

Then again, if they want to have a 13 or 14 or 15 team round robin, I'm fine with that too.

What's your beef with team Canada? To me, it's worked well in the Scotties and is a good way to add another quality team to the field without significantly altering the provincial format that makes these events special. Certainly seems better than a regional format, no?

02-20-15 06:53AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

I know I should stop arguing this as it will never happen but I cant help myself. Team Canada is the champion, that's the point of having it. So if a team Canada was in the position to be relegated that team would be able to play their provincial playdowns and be right back in the main competition next year. The team that becomes team Canada and possible world champion would have to be in a relegation round, how does that make any sense while the team that put them there could be in the main event and the champions relegated.

Lets all just agree that relegation and team Canada should be removed and have a 14 team event.

Sorry .... i just cant agree. If TC stinks out the joint and finishes last then the winning team (New Team Canada) has to assume the record of the team Canada from the year before. That team that finished last will play in their own playdowns the next year becasue they are no longer team Canada. This is the same rules for all the other teams in the event. Why should this entry be any different. Its not rocket science.

02-20-15 09:42AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Sorry .... i just cant agree. If TC stinks out the joint and finishes last then the winning team (New Team Canada) has to assume the record of the team Canada from the year before. That team that finished last will play in their own playdowns the next year becasue they are no longer team Canada. This is the same rules for all the other teams in the event. Why should this entry be any different. Its not rocket science.

its not rocket science to understand why they wont be relegated either but its clearly worthless trying to get through to you.

team canada changes hands if the defending champ cant defend their title. by winning the scotties the winner earns the right to come back and try to defend their title. now what about that are you not able get.

02-20-15 10:50AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Milo,
I had a similar thought to you that we could move to more of a regional qualification. It would certainly promote getting the best teams into the event. But the problem is people don't want another slam like event to crown a national champ. The Brier and Scotties remain special because people can rally behind their province. Even non-curlers watch these events and can get behind their "home-town" team. I think the system you suggested would be great, but it throws away too much history and would lose the fan base.

People saying we need a 14 team event are just way off base. These events are already watered down by too many small regions sending a "champ". One Territory can't even find a team to send. Other territories and smaller provinces have less than 10 teams in the entire province competing to go. Compare that to AB, Man, ON and you often have 100+ teams competing to go. Heck when I started in Men's playdowns the City of Calgary championship was 60 teams. My point is the Territories should get 1 and only 1 team. Yes there will be travel involved, but that's just part of living in a sparsly populated region. The Maritimes should also only get 2 teams. Or at least make PEI join NS or NB. Why does Northern Ontario get it's own team? I don't know, but at least they have the population base in Ontario to support another team. Of course I know this plan would be less well received than relegation, but what else do you do? There's really no way to satisfy the demand for one province / territory = 1 rep and keep the event competetive and keep the TV sponsors happy (yes you do need them to make the event go).

02-20-15 11:58AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

its not rocket science to understand why they wont be relegated either but its clearly worthless trying to get through to you.

team canada changes hands if the defending champ cant defend their title. by winning the scotties the winner earns the right to come back and try to defend their title. now what about that are you not able get.

Misty you seem very sure that you know how it would work but do you? In the unlikely case that the existing Team Canada and i think it would be so unlikely as to never happen but you must know about never say never.

So if the unlikely happens as i read the relegation criteria it is the last place team from the Scotties that falls into relegation with the the others. Would it make any sense to you to that the new Team Canada must then go into relegation as that is where there their spot is. ? Please enlighten me as to why is is not the case.

02-20-15 12:10PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Misty you seem very sure that you know how it would work but do you? In the unlikely case that the existing Team Canada and i think it would be so unlikely as to never happen but you must know about never say never.

So if the unlikely happens as i read the relegation criteria it is the last place team from the Scotties that falls into relegation with the the others. Would it make any sense to you to that the new Team Canada must then go into relegation as that is where there their spot is. ? Please enlighten me as to why is is not the case.

what im bout to say makes sense in my head , im not sure if it will here so bare with me.

you have to think of it that a team canada is declared in the same year as the old team canada loses its title. so the new team canada gets entry based off what their win loss record was not what the old team canadas win loss record was.it doesnt matter if a defending champion canada bombs out because the new team canada gains entry based off their record. so it really doesnt matter how a team canada does because , in creating a new team canada in the same year its wiped clean.

hence team canada wont be relegated

02-20-15 12:28PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

quote:

what im bout to say makes sense in my head , im not sure if it will here so bare with me.

you have to think of it that a team canada is declared in the same year as the old team canada loses its title. so the new team canada gets entry based off what their win loss record was not what the old team canadas win loss record was.it doesnt matter if a defending champion canada bombs out because the new team canada gains entry based off their record. so it really doesnt matter how a team canada does because , in creating a new team canada in the same year its wiped clean.

Would it be fair to say "that using that reasoning that if a new team represents a province that relegation would not apply to them?"

02-20-15 12:38PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Glad to see some one else can under stand this relegation issues which is apparently more difficult than rocket science to some. Team Canada is the champion end of story they do not represent the old champion.

02-20-15 12:44PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Would it be fair to say "that using that reasoning that if a new team represents a province that relegation would not apply to them?"

not really because the new teams repesenting the provinces are not declared in the same year. a new team canada is. you almost have to think of it as their being 2 team canadas. the old team canada and then the new one that gets crowned.

because its at the same tournament and the same year the old team canadas record doesnt effect the new team canada. you take the win loss record the new team canada has and apply it to next yeaf and not the old one

02-20-15 12:46PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I think the biggest problem with this year's pre-qualification was having it run just before and even during the event. It took away the fun vibes at the start and generally seemed like the cruelest way to eliminate the extra teams. As long as it stays that way, it will be received very negatively.

I don't mind a pre-qualifier that is set up a couple weeks in advance, because the teams in question can treat it as a part of playdowns. The tough part about this is all the travel, although the territories have been dealing with that problem for a long time anyway.

Then again, if they want to have a 13 or 14 or 15 team round robin, I'm fine with that too.

What's your beef with team Canada? To me, it's worked well in the Scotties and is a good way to add another quality team to the field without significantly altering the provincial format that makes these events special. Certainly seems better than a regional format, no?

I'm going to start by stating I have no issue with relegation. In fact, I'm finding this years event to have more drama and excitement because of it. Now bottom teams need to grind out every single game, verus mailing in the last few round robin games.

As to running the relegation event earlier, you are never going to make every one happy. If you run it earlier, now you are playing it at a club, where ice could be sketchy rocks etc. Now, that would be ok, but at the Ontario Scottie's players forum, players were complaining because the provincials were not held at an arean, not sure how well playing into a national competiton would be recieved. If all players were ok with it, then it may have some merit.

Not sure about the logisitics as well, the CCA event already has provisions for hotel accomodations, drivers etc. Pretty sure the competitors had there way paid. And the winner comes off of the prequalifier, hot and used to the ice. You could argue that it may be in their favour to go through the process. Look at the pre qualifiers success at the trials (granted the event was held weeks before the actual event ).Although the teams in the prequalifier that didn't make it and not in the main event, my suspicsion was they were treated well with the same perks as teams in the actual event.

There can be some minor tweaks but I think things are fine the way it is set up. The last thing we need to see is MORE teams in this event. As Heather Strong was quoted as saying, this event is already a two tiered one.

02-20-15 12:47PM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

Regardless of what you all think yay or nay regarding this issue of team Canada and relegation...the CCA has already stated that the host province AND team Canada will not be in relegation regardless of the prior years results.

So, like it or not, it is feasible that the 10th place finisher could be in the pre-qualification round if next years host prov/terr and team canada finish 11 and 12.

End of story.

02-20-15 01:51PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I mentioned this previously in this thread but it still feels problematic to me.

Shouldn't Kolton and Galusha have to play Knezevic, rather than Kelly Scott? (or whomever takes BC next year)? I think they should be invited to the end of the week. Warm up on the last few days (there is lots of ice available) and have the relegation round beginning Friday of the END of the week. The ice is still in. There are lots of sheets. Fans to watch. People travelling for relegation viewing will get to see the finals too. And the previous years' relegated teams should get a stab at the stumbling target, not the freshly crowned.

Knezevic has a chance to redeem herself in the Here and Now. One faint hope.

just sayin..

02-20-15 01:58PM
slushboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slushboy Click here to Send slushboy a Private Message Find more posts by slushboy Add slushboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slushboy
Hitting Paint

Some interesting information.

Since the inception of Team Canada at the Scotties in 1986, Team Canada has missed the playoffs 9 times. 31% of the time Team Canada misses the playoffs. Team Canada has finished 9th once, and 8th twice. They have never been in position to be relegated under the current setup. That's not to say they couldn't, as they have been only 1 loss away from being being in the relegation spot.

Twice, the home province of Team Canada has finished in the relegation spot. With relegation this means you could win the Scotties, go back to the Scotties as Team Canada, lose the final, and the following year need to win your home province and go through relegation. 1 year removed as Team Canada and have to go through relegation.

And finally, where is the proof that having Team Canada gets better teams to the Scotties. Only once has the Team Canada home province won the Scotties.

Team Canada sounds really good for the Scotties and the Brier when you have multiple top teams in 1 province. When you had Koe, Martin, and Ferby all battling to make it out of Alberta. 3 teams that would likely all make the playoffs and be favorites. But how many provinces in men's or woman's actually have 2 teams capable of winning the Brier or Scotties. If Gushue wins the Brier this year is there going to be great excitement about having the second best team from NFL at the Brier.

02-20-15 02:53PM
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

This can happen folks. We need to get it fair. If the CCA is going to add TC then they need to abide by all of the same rules as the other teams. One exception is the host province having a bye. That makes sense.

I know some of you will say blah blah blah its not fair that TC could actually be relegated. Well ....... now you know how BC, NWT and Yukon feel.

02-20-15 03:01PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by slushboy
Some interesting information.

And finally, where is the proof that having Team Canada gets better teams to the Scotties. Only once has the Team Canada home province won the Scotties.

Team Canada sounds really good for the Scotties and the Brier when you have multiple top teams in 1 province. When you had Koe, Martin, and Ferby all battling to make it out of Alberta. 3 teams that would likely all make the playoffs and be favorites. But how many provinces in men's or woman's actually have 2 teams capable of winning the Brier or Scotties. If Gushue wins the Brier this year is there going to be great excitement about having the second best team from NFL at the Brier.

I will agree that it's not a given that having a Team Canada will allow more good teams EVERY year. Like you said, Gushue and Jacobs are both brier favourites, but the next guy up in both provinces would be fighting to not be relegated. However, there were lots of years it would have been great to see Martin and Ferbey at the same brier. Or how about McEwan and Stoughton. Or the plethora of good teams that we never got to see in Ontario because they were stuck behind Glen Howard.

More than that, I like the idea of team Canada because if you win the brier / scotties you're one of the best teams in our country. Your schedule will be packed with all sorts of events the following year. It's nice to not burn that team out with the extra burden of trudging through playdowns. There were several times when we would not have last year's world champ at our own national playoffs ... how does that make sense?

02-20-15 03:03PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
This can happen folks. We need to get it fair. If the CCA is going to add TC then they need to abide by all of the same rules as the other teams. One exception is the host province having a bye. That makes sense.

I know some of you will say blah blah blah its not fair that TC could actually be relegated. Well ....... now you know how BC, NWT and Yukon feel.

Ok it was stated the CCA will not relegate team Canada or the host so stop arguing it. Sign the petition cause that will work for sure, or even better send the CCA a nasty email but make sure its in all red so they know your really upset.

02-20-15 03:37PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Umm do you not think that the sponsor has any say in this...............

And for the record, no they (the CCA) don't have to abide by the same rules, they are the ones MAKING the rules.

02-21-15 01:24AM
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Umm do you not think that the sponsor has any say in this...............

And for the record, no they (the CCA) don't have to abide by the same rules, they are the ones MAKING the rules.

They may be laughing at CCA headquarters now but mark my words ....... within 10 - 15 years the crowds will be gone and they will all be looking at each other wondering where they went wrong.

I'd say the have not provinces make up 40% of the non-home team crowd.