Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-08-13 01:24PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I believe that this year the bottom 4 teams will be relegated to that challenge round next year so Saskatchewan and Yukon/NWT and New Brunswick have lots to plays for. PEI, BC and Nova Scotia are already relegated but Saskatchewan, Yukon/NWT and New Brunswick will be fighting it out for positions 7 and 8 , trying desperately to avoid that 9th position and the final relegated spot.Given Saskatchewan's proud history in this event the Motivation for team Virtue will be even higher im sure to make sure they keep Saskatchewan's spot safe.

I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that the relegation isn't happening this year. Even if it was, my understanding was that it was just the bottom two teams that get relegated anyway.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-08-13 01:41PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

yeah petelski - I also thought worrying this year was premature, but good to imagine it. the future is coming.... and I like it. Means being in the Brier/Scotties is a reward on a provincial level, earned by performance at the national level.

03-08-13 01:50PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Manitoba loses to Koe
Alberta beats Newfoundland

Things just got really interesting now.

At least one of Quebec or Newfoundland is guaranteed to finish with at least 4 losses. So just need one other team to finish there to make that relevant.

03-08-13 01:58PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Looking at it now, it is possible for there to be a 5 way tie for 2nd place at 7-4. Unlikely, but actually possible now.

03-08-13 02:01PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

That was a big loss by MB against the NWT. A win would have given them a clear shot at 2nd place. Now their playoff position fate is out of their own hands!

I'm going to take a little stab at a hypothetical here:

let's say that NO wins two games today (NB and NS), and MB beats BC. This means 3 teams could finish at 8-3, and the 4-loss teams including AB will be eliminated.

This would mean that the NL-QC game today will eliminate one of those two teams from contention.

If this happens:

Situation 1, QC beats NL and SK

ON 10-1 or 11-0 finishes first
NO 8-3 finishes second (by virtue of their wins vs. MB and QC)
MB 8-3 finishes third (beat QC in round robin)
QC 8-3 finishes fourth

Situation 2, NL beats QC

ON 10-1 or 11-0 finishes first
NO, NL, and MB are all 1-1 against each other, so the rankings of who gets bumped to the 1-2 game depends entirely on the Draw Shot Challenge scores from the week. Interesting!

I think this is correct?

Last edited by doubletakeout on 03-08-13 at 02:06PM

03-08-13 02:03PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Manitoba loses to Koe
Alberta beats Newfoundland
Things just got really interesting now.

At least one of Quebec or Newfoundland is guaranteed to finish with at least 4 losses. So just need one other team to finish there to make that relevant.

Martin's future hinges on Jacobs and Stoughton. If Jacobs gets by both NB and NS to get to 8-3, and MB tops BC, Martin can't get better than 5th, and Howard, Stoughton, and Jacobs will advance to the playoffs along with the winner of Gushue vs Menard.

03-08-13 02:07PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

chapnlie is correct unless QC beats NL but then loses to SK. That would keep the 4-loss teams alive.

03-08-13 02:11PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
chapnlie is correct unless QC beats NL but then loses to SK. That would keep the 4-loss teams alive.

Bingo. That was the scenario I posted earlier this morning. That would put Quebec, Newfoundland and Alberta in a 3-way tie at 7-4

Of course, it also presumes that ALberta beats Ontario.

03-08-13 02:18PM
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Is anybody beating Ontario this week? What a great round robin they've had, we could see them go through this thing undefeated! I think MB could push them hardest - but only if MB ends up in the 1-2 game. Don't know if MB can win this tournament through the 3-4 game, the record shows that doesn't happen very frequently!

03-08-13 03:04PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

So, if you're a fan of chaos and tiebreakers (or a fan of Kevin martin) you're cheering for Quebec and New Brunswick this afternoon.

03-08-13 03:24PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that the relegation isn't happening this year. Even if it was, my understanding was that it was just the bottom two teams that get relegated anyway.

Is it really? well then i stand corrected, sorry about that and thank you for the correction

03-08-13 03:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I see no one else wants to entertain that 5 losses tiebreaker idea i proposed earlier..lol

03-08-13 03:30PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I suppose it could happen. Alberta losing to Ont is certainly realistic. Quebec losing to both NF and Sask is also possible. But I just don't see NO losing to both NB and NS. And the chance that all five of those things happen is pretty remote.

03-08-13 03:36PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

It's happened

quote:
I see no one else wants to entertain that 5 losses tiebreaker idea i proposed earlier..lol

At the 1990 junior in Sudbury, there was a 5 way tie breaker for third at 6-5.

03-08-13 03:43PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Did anyone else get the CCA email blast today on the 2014 Scotties with the headline "Team Homan will be there.."? My first reaction was "not if they win the trials"

03-08-13 03:48PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:

Is it really? well then i stand corrected, sorry about that and thank you for the correction

Relegation begins in 2014 with additional teams then added (including team Canada) in 2015.

03-08-13 03:49PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

A play-off for 6-5 teams is about 1-4%, depending on your assessment of NO chances against NB and NS.

03-08-13 03:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
A play-off for 6-5 teams is about 1-4%, depending on your assessment of NO chances against NB and NS.

New Brunswick is certainly capable of knocking them off. It would all then just depend on whether or not Nova Scotia could pull some kind of magical performance out and get the upset or not

03-08-13 03:57PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Relegation begins in 2014 with additional teams then added (including team Canada) in 2015.

Again, thanks for the correction. I thought it started this year

and it is then just the bottom 2 teams?

03-08-13 04:17PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

what's the percentage on a 7-4 playoff?

03-08-13 04:20PM
peteski
Drawmaster

Even if Alberta's chances are remote, I am happy at least that their game against Ontario could mean something. Should be a dandy.

03-08-13 04:46PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

At this point I think Martin is the only possible threat to Howards winning the Brier, if Martin can somehow make the playoffs. Stoughton has played quite mediocre for his standards all weak IMO, from the very first game he won against Martin in an ugly game, right up until now, even if his record is still pretty good and he will probably still make the playoffs. Definitely not in Brier winning form though. Gushue is playing his best and it still isnt good enough, as shown by him losing 3 straight games once he ran into the tough teams. Northern Ontario are too up and down and Howard owns him anyway. Cant see Menard doing it either. Unless Martin, who I think is building momentum and finding his form now makes the playoffs Howard pretty much has it in the bag.

03-08-13 04:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well actually of all the skips at this brier glenn has had the most trouble with..

stoughton, menard and martin.

now, yes he beat menard last night but stop and take a look at what happened:

menard had a tap for 2 in the second end that he only just barely missed and had an in off for 3 and the win but missed it. The 1 time glenn had the hammer he could only get a single

if menard can limp into the playoffs he is the only other skip i could see knocking glenn and the team off

03-08-13 05:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Saskatchewan

The loss that will really come back to haunt them this week will be the one to New Brunswick. Even though they got down 5-0 early they still could have won. If not for a rub on the guard in the 4th They could have been tied with them at 5 after 5. If 4 losses is the cut off point then they will really rue that one loss more than any other

03-08-13 05:21PM
GregW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Click here to Send GregW a Private Message Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregW
Hitting Paint

HELP!

I'm stuck in Florida for the last weekend of the Brier (poor me I know)

Is there anywhere I can stream the games on-line?

Thanks!