Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-04-13 08:26PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Only in USA

World University Games Qualifier has 4 mens teams playing a double round robin [6 games per team]. After 5 draws, Plys has 5-0 record and Leichter is 3-2. Not only does Plys have a 2-game lead with one draw to go but he has already beaten Leichter twice. Anywhere else the competition would be over... but not in USA. Should Plys lose last draw to fall to 5-1 and Leichter win to improve to 4-2, then USA says Leichter deserves another chance at Plys so they would play again tomorrow in a "tiebreaker round." While Leichter would have to beat Plys in that draw and then again in another "tiebreaker round" to with the title, isn't it just a little bit ridiculous that this event is not already over?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-04-13 10:50PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I certainly understand and support the Two Loss Provision in round robin play. Any team, no matter how good, can stumble into horrid luck for one game, so it is a necessary provision.

This, however, would be way past that. These final games tonight look like they should be simple practice. This thing is over. Maybe dbsdbs and I are looking at it wrong, but I can't see any reason to continue no matter what the outcomes this evening's games.

And so we will begin the next fun thing in USA curling: The Stephen Dropkin Sweepstakes! Who will pick up Dropkin The Elder (currently playing for Plys)?

First things first: We need to get that boy a job in the Midwest. We cannot be having a boy of that talent level out on a coast. We have already stolen Dropkin The Younger to the University of Minnesota Duluth. (I am, mostly, just teasing my East coast friends)

If Dropkin The Elder has a brain in his head (and I suspect that he does), he will wait until after The Trials in mid-November before committing to a team. Of the five Trials teams, somebody might want to step away from the game if they are not successful in making the Olympics. A spot on a Top Five team is not something to easily dismiss.

If Stephen decides he'd prefer to build and skip his own rink, the talent pool is still deepest in the Midwest. Mielke is moving to St. Paul. Wald is here. If there is some player out East that he wants (like the Howell kid or the big sweeper that won Mixed), then we will just steal them for the Midwest as well. (again with the teasing of my Eastie friends...I really shouldn't do that so much)

Ben Tucker

05-05-13 12:13AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Did not care who won the event but glad Plys won out tonight to avoid the silliness of having to play "tiebreaker'[s]" tomorrow.
MAYBE you can justify a 2-loss provision but would really like to hear the rationale for the 3-loss provision that would have applied here had Plys lost tonight.

I wonder if women's results will have any impact on Fargo? It seems like both Carlson [consecutive final 4s] and George [2013 runnerup] might be potential candidates but neither did much this weekend to bolster their case.

While Tuck is right that talent pool is deeper in midwest, it is a bit interesting that the winning team this weekend had 2 east coast curlers and runnersup had 3 east coast curlers. Interesting and a good sign for future.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 05-05-13 at 12:25AM

05-05-13 10:25AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Now, now, now...let's not help out these Eastie Upstarts with any compliments. Nice insight, but we just need to continue stealing their best young players. I'm starting to think that we need to steal Big Nate and his broom along with a few Dropkins and a Howell. Also need to steal the Tiny Terrorists and another Walker or two.

I really don't see the University Games as impacting the selections for the Fargo Trials. Courtney is not playing with her team. Their back-to-back bronze and silver truly trumps Carlson's back-to-back playoff appearances. If it wasn't for Cassie's incredible Pop/Flop/Drop hammer in the semi at Philly, Court and Eileen would have back-to-back silvers.

Good point, however. Carlson, like Craig Brown on the Mens side, is not without credentials for being selected to the Trials.

Ben Tucker
I have to preach in an hour and a half. Still have no sermon. Thought and thought about it, but I got nothin'. Looks like a short service today, but that might be exactly what the Holy Spirit wants.

05-05-13 06:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I certainly understand and support the Two Loss Provision in round robin play. Any team, no matter how good, can stumble into horrid luck for one game, so it is a necessary provision.

This, however, would be way past that. These final games tonight look like they should be simple practice. This thing is over. Maybe dbsdbs and I are looking at it wrong, but I can't see any reason to continue no matter what the outcomes this evening's games.

And so we will begin the next fun thing in USA curling: The Stephen Dropkin Sweepstakes! Who will pick up Dropkin The Elder (currently playing for Plys)?

First things first: We need to get that boy a job in the Midwest. We cannot be having a boy of that talent level out on a coast. We have already stolen Dropkin The Younger to the University of Minnesota Duluth. (I am, mostly, just teasing my East coast friends)

If Dropkin The Elder has a brain in his head (and I suspect that he does), he will wait until after The Trials in mid-November before committing to a team. Of the five Trials teams, somebody might want to step away from the game if they are not successful in making the Olympics. A spot on a Top Five team is not something to easily dismiss.

If Stephen decides he'd prefer to build and skip his own rink, the talent pool is still deepest in the Midwest. Mielke is moving to St. Paul. Wald is here. If there is some player out East that he wants (like the Howell kid or the big sweeper that won Mixed), then we will just steal them for the Midwest as well. (again with the teasing of my Eastie friends...I really shouldn't do that so much)

Ben Tucker

I agree, I think stephen is a really great talent, one that I hope doesnt go to waste. Whatever happens I hope it happens soon for him

05-06-13 12:03AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I hope it doesn't happen TOO soon for him, Misty. There might be some openings after our Olympic Trials in November. I suspect some players, should they not win The Trials, will step back from the game. That might be the best spot for Dropkin The Elder to land.

Committing to a team early would allow him to play in the cashspiels of autumn. Building his own team is certainly a possibility. Still, if I was his agent, I'd have him on the sidelines until after The Trials. Being the fifth on the Olympic team might even be an option.

Ben Tucker
Can't run my own life, don't want to run Stephen's

05-06-13 11:43AM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

OK, you've finally lured me out of the weeds! It's been a fun couple seasons lurking in the shaddows, reading Tuck and friends as you offer comments on topics far and wide. A lot like sports talk radio here in Boston. Great entertainment, regardless of factual accuracy, but full of passion and that's what counts!

We appreciate those that have supported the boys and their accomplishments in recent years (and even the references to their parents in jest every once in while!). The empty nest is definitely approaching way too rapidly for this aging parent/coach! But we trust that our many friends in the midwest will be taking good care of them as they embark on next steps in pursuing their own goals in this great sport and its community!

But don't forget from where they came, as well as the raft of others who have emerged from the East the last few years. And perhaps before too long there will be sufficient training resources and committed athletes broadly available so that the part of the country in which you were born will have little impact on your likelyhood of achieving your curling dreams!

05-06-13 02:26PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

I bet it will take ten years to see, but NYC has plans to build the WORLD'S largest ice facility ! Hopefully we see a National Curling Championship held in New York City some day, in the midst of 10 million people. The plan calls for 9 ice rinks and a 5,000 seat arena at the Kingsbridge Armory. Get on it, USCA.

05-06-13 07:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so..what happened? The scores are not showing up on curlingzone

since team Plys went 6-0 did they just decide that they won and there was no need to make them play anyone a 3rd time?

05-07-13 08:02AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Plys avoided the situation by winning out.

KDropkin? Ain't Dropkin The Elder, so it must be Dropkin The Ancient.

Ben Tucker

05-07-13 12:06PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Oh curling boys, the ice, the ice is calling /From MO to WI

..and down the Midwest plaiinnnnssss....

Usually that's a sad song, but it will make Friar Tuck very happy today: FYI, young Mr. Howell has been accepted to Marquette University Class of '17.

05-07-13 02:16PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, Dannie Boy...or, in this case, Oh Tommy Boy.

Congrats to the kid for getting accepted. Milwaukee has a new curling facility for him to try out. Somebody warn Jay Packard that a true talent is coming his way.

Is Howell Catholic? Doesn't matter. Those Jesuits will whip him into shape. Marquette is tough. I hope the kid can balance everything.

Stealing talent from the coasts? It is a good day. Stealing from the powerhouse Plainfield CC? Even better. On a per sheet basis, the strongest club in America for both participation and titles. A two-sheeter with ice that slopes to the walls, I wonder how many of the world's truly great curlers learned in similar buildings? I'd bet a lot of them.

Ben Tucker
Midwesterner...just like Thomas Howell

05-07-13 03:31PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tom's graduating from a Catholic high school, so he's used to the drill. And maintaining a GPA that got him into Marquette while missing --- how many weeks of school? -- due to curling his junior and senior year was courtesy of his parents telling him to make it so. The Jesuits got nuthin on the wrath of Mama Bear Howell.

05-07-13 04:00PM
cccurl1979 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cccurl1979 Click here to Send cccurl1979 a Private Message Find more posts by cccurl1979 Add cccurl1979 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cccurl1979
Knee-Slider

comments on Christensen's win? fluke or no? some pretty formidable teams on the women's side...all things considered.

05-07-13 04:24PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Certainly no fluke. The whole team and Cory in particular are/is playing with a confidence that wasn’t there before. They have in my estimation put it all together and have jumped to the next level. Congrats, it was fun to see.

05-08-13 12:03PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I did not know that Mackensie Lank was on that the Christensen rink. Did they shoot with 5? Where did Mac play?

Ben Tucker

05-08-13 12:40PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Mac sat the first game. Pretty sure she was playing 2nd in another game. Not sure how much they rotated players.

Very impressed that Team Christensen was able to bounce back after losing the last RR game!