Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling Rules/etiquette Question

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-09-16 04:38PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Curling Rules/etiquette Question

So I know that while your team is throwing, your teams skip controls the house. After your rock reaches the Tee line, the other team can sweep it out. But what about this situation?

What if your team was trying to throw a draw to teh Tee line, but the rock was a little heavy (probably a 9 on the 10 zone scale). As soon as it crossed the Tee, the opposing skip wants to sweep it out with all his might. Lets assume that your skip doesn't physically prevent the other skip from sweeping out, but takes a more creative approach.

Your skip decides to pseudo sweep your own stone out. By pseudo sweep, I mean go through the motions, but no real effort, I guess what you might normally call clean only. This keeps the opposing skip from being closer to your stone. Since the true effort is being done further away from the rock, I think it is less effective, and the end result is that your stone is more likely to remain.

Thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-09-16 04:58PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

I've wondered a bit about that one too. I think it would actually be within your right to ask to sweep closest to the rock. I realize that isn't really possible in the moment, but if it happened a couple times I think you could then ask the opposing skip to allow you to sweep next to the rock and if he wants he can still sweep but he has to be the broom second from the rock.

02-09-16 05:01PM
MacCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MacCoach Click here to Send MacCoach a Private Message Find more posts by MacCoach Add MacCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MacCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

If this happened more than once, you might be looking at "full contact curling".

02-09-16 05:06PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

As I understand it, the skip of the thrown rock has the "right of first refusal" as its his rock. However, the sporting and right thing to do is back away and let the other team sweep it. If it happens more than once just announce "I want in" and jump in and sweep it.

02-09-16 05:07PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

It's a matter of fair play.

It's your rock. If you intend to sweep it out, go ahead, the rock is yours and go all out. If you don't intend to sweep it out, get out of the way.

This is not soccer and you can't simulate dying to win either.

02-09-16 05:27PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

You answered your own question in the title of this thread: "Rules/Etiquette".

While the rules say you have first position to sweep as it is your stone, etiquette and the Spirit of Curling say, give it your best effort or get out of the way. The game has no place for intentionally blocking the other teams effort to drag the rock farther behind the tee.

Anyone playing that game in our club would be called to discuss it with the league elders.

02-09-16 06:37PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

So far the answers are about what I expected. Technically legal, but questionable sportsmanship. But this brings me to how people value etiquette versus winning.

The whole broom situation and directional sweeping has led me to believe that the curling powers now value winning over etiquette, and issue that concerns me