Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-15 10:58AM
robo1224 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robo1224 Find more posts by robo1224 Add robo1224 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robo1224
Knee-Slider

Bronze medal game

Does the Bronze medal game in the Canadian finals benefit anyone but the CCA and TSN? You hear some players say they don't feel the need for the game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-15 11:40AM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Think it's a political thing ... to appease the IOC. It could also have funding implications.

02-22-15 11:43AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

Total waste of time.The 3rd place team was the winner of 3vs 4. I would like to see the two teams today throw all rocks through the house for 7 ends plus then let Sask score 1 in the 8th and shake hands. Any chance i can get my wish?

02-22-15 11:46AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by OverAndOut
Think it's a political thing ... to appease the IOC. It could also have funding implications.

Yeah the IOC and WCF have it in their games and want all national bodies on the same page. Its needed to have officially who finished in 3rd and 4th. But they can also sell tickets for another draw. I really don't care, its more curling to watch.

02-22-15 03:26PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

This comes up every year. The vast majority (admittedly, not all though) of players and fans agree it's a silly game - the 4th place team should, by definition, be the loser of the 3v4 game. But it's an opportunity to sell some more tickets (and a TV slot), and the CCA has made it worth something because 3rd and 4th have different prize money, ranking points and funding - so the teams have a carrot to not throw the game.

If memory serves, K-Mart vaguely threatened to not show up for the bronze game in London a few years ago....but I'm sure when the CCA got wind of it, they made it clear that wasn't an option.

Last edited by nelsosi on 02-22-15 at 03:28PM

02-23-15 03:09AM
joboo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joboo Find more posts by joboo Add joboo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joboo
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Even though Stef is a bit broken-hearted after yesterday's loss she'll proudly take to the ice as the host province's representative.

The iconic mean girls of curling also know they're being watched by hundreds of thousands of curling fans - many being avid fans. They will also show up and play hard.

One thing, I'd advocate an 8 end affair with no timeouts so it doesn't drag out into a 3 hour snooze-fest (both teams pre-dilicted to defense)

For Stef its also an opportunity to attain her highest Scotts standing ever - she's finished 4th her last 3 goes.

Homan basically always playing for gold but in this instance she's been so well-respected and loved by the Saskatchewan fans she owes them a sturdy outing.

hundreds of thousands? c'mon man.

02-23-15 08:40AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Donr
Total waste of time.The 3rd place team was the winner of 3vs 4. I would like to see the two teams today throw all rocks through the house for 7 ends plus then let Sask score 1 in the 8th and shake hands. Any chance i can get my wish?

it would be funny if one day that actually happened. the 2 teams just didnt even try. wonder how loing this would be allowed to continue if that happened.

02-23-15 12:19PM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

The 4th place team should be the loser of the 3/4. End of story. Any curler will tell you they would rather win that game over the bronze. TSN didn't even respect the game enough to show it on the main network. It is time fill and a cash grab. SK beat Team Canada when it mattered.

02-23-15 01:00PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

I think elite curlers should have the right to refuse to play in any game they don't feel like playing in.

As soon as it was confirmed that BC was to be relegated, all the games involving teams out of the playoffs should have been cancelled. Those games were stupid and meaningless.

The ice should be made available in case they want to play, but only if they want to. That includes the bronze medal game. The feelings of the players whose expenses are paid to be there and in some cases receive government funding to be part time pro curlers are quite frankly more important than any TV schedule could possibly be.

A better use of the ice would be to allow people in the audience who may be missing their own league games at their own clubs just so they can sit and watch the Scotties, to play make-up games. For example, say 8 people from some curling club were at the Scotties and missed their C flight Mixed league game on Thursday night. They could have played their game on Friday morning on Sheet B instead of the useless ON/NB game. They still could have watched the CAN/NO game like they would have anyway just by looking over at Sheet C.

This scheme would encourage attendance at the Scotties and also reduce the number of stupid televised games that elite curlers are forced to play against their will.

02-23-15 02:42PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Both Homan & Lawton are great teams and I'm sure that they'll both be back sooner rather than later. Stefanie just has to get that "playoff monkey" off her back.

The Page System is supposed to sort things out with the 3-4 winner getting third place. As for Olympic references, the US doesn't have a Bronze Medal Game (of course the third place women's team in the US is going to the Ford Worlds but that's a different post, right?) What we are faced with now is a situation in which the 3-4 game was not on the main network because of the Daytona 500 and the Championship game was opposite the Oscars.

I don't care what time zone you're in, the premier game of the entire week should NEVER have to compete with a "Big Ticket" item like the Oscars. There was approx. 3 hours between the finish at Daytona and the opening number at the Oscars (not including the "Red Carpet"). I'm not a television/curling executive but...

02-23-15 03:05PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

If you are at the Scotties or Brier and staying for the final it gives you something to do on the Sunday morning related to curling. It was kind of nice to see Stoughton teams last game together last year although it was played so fast and such a runaway it was over when we got there. For people travelling it would be much nicer to have the final earlier so you could still make it home but that won't happen.

02-23-15 03:08PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

This might not be popular but Lawton would be best served to upgrade her vice position. She will not get over the hump until she goes to the gunfight with a gun. Don't believe me--ask JJ--or Cathy Overton. It may be hard to break the news but I believe Anderson must know she is keeping Lawton from raching the top. Ditto for Val--although she tried to get the girl from NB while at the same time losing her 2nd to holman---she needs to address the 2nd and 3rd position and I'd argue the 2nd before the 3rd. You can't give up anything--especially youth and the sweeping capablilities they have. They let more more than hang out half buried and it hurt them against the good team late in the round robin and into the playoffs. If you can't apply pressure with perfectly made shots---you have absolutely no shot of winning a Scotties. Upgrade or be left behind.

02-23-15 04:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
This might not be popular but Lawton would be best served to upgrade her vice position. She will not get over the hump until she goes to the gunfight with a gun. Don't believe me--ask JJ--or Cathy Overton. It may be hard to break the news but I believe Anderson must know she is keeping Lawton from raching the top. Ditto for Val--although she tried to get the girl from NB while at the same time losing her 2nd to holman---she needs to address the 2nd and 3rd position and I'd argue the 2nd before the 3rd. You can't give up anything--especially youth and the sweeping capablilities they have. They let more more than hang out half buried and it hurt them against the good team late in the round robin and into the playoffs. If you can't apply pressure with perfectly made shots---you have absolutely no shot of winning a Scotties. Upgrade or be left behind.

anderson is honestly one of the big reasons they got as far as they did. she might be 52 but she's still one of the top 3rds in the country.

but it could be likely that she wont be around much longer anyway. i think se signed up with stef to get to the olympics. im kind of surprised she continued on after that but its possible tey are going for 2018. by ten however sherry will be 55 so it doesnt seem to likely

02-23-15 05:04PM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam

The 3rd position isnt the issue with that team. Play calling is one. They'll never be able to consistantly beat the big teams if they aren't willing to mix it up. Lawton's first instinct is always defense, way too much so. Shot making at 4th is another. Lawton continues to struggle with the big shot. And Lead is another. Way too much panic from her. They overswept a lot on the games I watched, constandly taking rocks 2-3 feet too deep. I think there are a couple young and up n' comers in SK. The big thing is commitment to the tour. Other teams have shown this, unless you are going to slog it out for a couple years on the tour and keep your team together during that time, it will be tough to compete. But I think on the women's side in SK, they arent that far ahead of the pack.

And ML, Hotaumatons, Valbertans? Seriously, you sound like the annoying copy guy from SNL. The Fergmeister, making copies. It's painful.

02-24-15 03:01AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Stephanie Lawton has been choking since juniors.
She needs to step down to third.

02-24-15 03:02AM
joboo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joboo Find more posts by joboo Add joboo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joboo
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Reference to national TV ratings for TSN.

Easily in the hundreds of thousands. But probably half of that total was just in Manitoba, Sask'n and Alberta

watch where your gettin your numbers, they are skewed! many of the folks that "watch" are the 56-100 crowd and it is mostly background noise!lol!!

02-24-15 03:03AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jfrench1011

And ML, Hotaumatons, Valbertans? Seriously, you sound like the annoying copy guy from SNL. The Fergmeister, making copies. It's painful.

One of the most popular skits on SNL.

Hey ML, I like Valbertans.

02-24-15 09:59AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

You ever think she calls a defensive game because she understands she doesnt have the same weapons JJ and Homan have at their disposal? Nothing personal about Sherry---she's a pro pro. But change is good and those that don't address obvious weaknesses will continue finishing 4th in major events.IF that's the good with them, then I say drive on! They are a likeable bunch to watch and I find myself often cheering for them as improbable as it is for them to beat JJ, Val or Homan.

02-24-15 10:39AM
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

similar? Yeah and my good looks are similar to brad pitts'--LOL
--put that schmidt girl at vice and give them a year to work out the kinks. I wouldn't be surprised if that solid, counter-punching style of Lawton's doesn't change a tad.

02-24-15 01:47PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Does not matter what changes she makes in front of her, she will still be a choker.
She needs to play third for someone good like A Holland.

02-24-15 01:51PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Aside from Holland, the top female skips in Saskatchewan are not on the same level as Homan, Jones, Sweeting.

They only finished in the playoffs because the rest of the field was so weak.

Kelly Scott would have finished higher.

They should be thrilled with 4th place.

02-24-15 03:27PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
Does not matter what changes she makes in front of her, she will still be a choker.
She needs to play third for someone good like A Holland.

Im not sure a derogatory word like choker fits, as it is just demeaning and there is no need for it in curling. For me it boils down to smarts, less smarts, wiser, less wiser or a skip that uses perfect timing and one that doesnt. SK got outsmarted by the opponent and didnt do the right thing at the right time simple as that. Ive found that in most games the outcome is determined by one and maybe two critical calls and doesnt really come down to choking or missing well unless you miss a shot the wrong way, as there is usually a right way to miss. Youll find that the successful skips like Homan, Sweeting and Jones make that smart call just about all of the time, which puts the game outcome more in their favor so they win more often.

02-24-15 03:51PM
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
Aside from Holland, the top female skips in Saskatchewan are not on the same level as Homan, Jones, Sweeting.

They only finished in the playoffs because the rest of the field was so weak.

Kelly Scott would have finished higher.

They should be thrilled with 4th place.

Don't know what makes you think Scott would have finished higher. She didn't make it out of provincials in BC, finishing 3rd, and losing on the A side to the team that won BC. The same team that went on to the Scotties to only win 1 game and got the province into the 2016 relegation round. I would doubt Scott's experience factor would have gotten her to the playoffs. That team has changed a bunch.

And I also don't agree the field was weak this year. It was on par or better than the last few years of the Scotties.

02-24-15 07:50PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Scott missed a fairly easy shot to get in the BC final. I agree that she would have been marginal to make the playoffs but I don't think she would have lost 10.

02-26-15 09:49PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jfrench1011

Don't know what makes you think Scott would have finished higher. She didn't make it out of provincials in BC, finishing 3rd, and losing on the A side to the team that won BC. The same team that went on to the Scotties to only win 1 game and got the province into the 2016 relegation round. I would doubt Scott's experience factor would have gotten her to the playoffs. That team has changed a bunch.

And I also don't agree the field was weak this year. It was on par or better than the last few years of the Scotties.

My point is that Saskatchewan is a weak curling province. The best in Saskabush is middle of the pack at the STOH or Brier. Slightly better than the maritimes and territories.