Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-16 01:11AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Mixed Doubles World Trial

The end of February will see the Mixed Doubles World Trial.

Advancing to the Trials are the medalists from Nationals, the defending champions and (up to) four HPP teams.

Smitty and Jessica: Gold

Pottingers: Silver

Nina and Kroy: Bronze

Team Cute as Kittens: Defending

The HPP scrimmage was this weekend. The results as I've heard them:

Face and Cory 3-0 and into the Trial

Courtney and Tyler 3-0 and into the Trials

Hammy and Little Miss Hammy get the 3rd spot over Tabitha and Joe Cool (who may be a fourth entry).

Interesting to me is that Face, Ty and Hammy are all of Face Team. One could say that they are going into Men's Nationals in peak form.

Odds to follow once the field is set, but it's looking like most every team will be 5 to 1. If there is much separating the top from the bottom, I don't see it.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-16 10:33AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Tab and Polo selected to the trials.
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...-Doubles-Trials

02-05-16 10:40AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The field is set. As expected, the HPP teaming of Joe Cool/Tabs will be the Committee's pick for the last team.

I'm disappointed in myself and the Committee; but mostly in myself.

There was a spot reserved for an At Large Pick. I never gave it much thought. I just assumed two curlers from the HPP would get it. While that proved true, I think that somebody (me) should have looked more closely and took a wider view.

Brady and Cristin have won Mixed Doubles Nationals 3 times. I believe they are the only multiple-winners in the nation. They've done OK at Worlds.

I have nothing against Joe Cool and Tabs. Very good curlers and very nice people. Still, it seems to me that Brady/Cristin were the obvious choice and I'm disappointed that I didn't think of them. I don't know what to wish for as far as the Committee goes. Do I wish that somebody thought to think out of the HPP? Maybe, but that would mean they considered the Clarks and didn't pick them. I think I prefer to think that it was a quick decision without much thought. Terrible as that sounds, I find it preferable.

Odds to follow soon,
Ben Tucker

02-05-16 10:59AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

The Clarks have the most titles but their recent results haven't been as good. I agree they would have been a better choice but not the best choice.

02-05-16 11:10AM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
The field is set. As expected, the HPP teaming of Joe Cool/Tabs will be the Committee's pick for the last team.

I'm disappointed in myself and the Committee; but mostly in myself.

There was a spot reserved for an At Large Pick. I never gave it much thought. I just assumed two curlers from the HPP would get it. While that proved true, I think that somebody (me) should have looked more closely and took a wider view.

Brady and Cristin have won Mixed Doubles Nationals 3 times. I believe they are the only multiple-winners in the nation. They've done OK at Worlds.

I have nothing against Joe Cool and Tabs. Very good curlers and very nice people. Still, it seems to me that Brady/Cristin were the obvious choice and I'm disappointed that I didn't think of them. I don't know what to wish for as far as the Committee goes. Do I wish that somebody thought to think out of the HPP? Maybe, but that would mean they considered the Clarks and didn't pick them. I think I prefer to think that it was a quick decision without much thought. Terrible as that sounds, I find it preferable.

Odds to follow soon,
Ben Tucker

And what about Alex C. and Alec L.? They were one shot away from beating Smitty and Jessica in the 1 vs 2 game. That loss took the wind out of their sail and they finished fourth. But up til that moment they were great at Mixed Doubles Nationals.

The "old boys club" that the HPP has turned into is disappointing.

If ever there was an athlete that the HP Program has snubbed, it's Alex Carlson. And why? Because she doesn't fit the prototype athletic figure of the "high performance athlete". THAT'S IT! She's the last women to get a medal at a World Women's Event (not including mixed doubles or seniors). Skipped bronze at Junior Worlds. She was last year's vice for the National Women's Champions. She has qualified at women's nationals every year since leaving Juniors, no matter what team she brings (skip every year except last year). What does an athlete need to do to?

Is she the best? No, I don't think so. But she EARNED a shot at that competition.

Last edited by fanofcurling on 02-05-16 at 11:29AM

02-05-16 11:21AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Nobody in this field is getting long odds. Nobody is getting short odds. Wide open event and too close to call, so this bookie is protecting himself. With an 8 team field, you'd expect average odds to be around 8 to 1. Too bad. I have mouths to feed over here.

Face/Cory 3 to 1 Tepid morning line favorite. Went through the HPP intramural scrimmage undefeated. It would be SO cool for Cory to play that week in Sweden while her mother is shooting third for Norma at the same place and time.

Ty/Court 4 to 1 The children of Tommy George also went through the scrimmage undefeated. They also have played this before with some success.

Smitty/Jess 4 to 1 Olympians teamed up to win Nationals this year.

Team Cute As Kittens 5 to 1 Defending national champs did well at Worlds and did very well at the New Zealand shootout. Don't let the youth fool you. Talent upon talent. I don't believe that they are dating anymore, but from looking at Curing Night In America, that hasn't changed their results. Lots of experience with the format; it could be their game. Proven to be one of the best teams in the world.

Kroy/Nina 5 to 1 HPP players who went to Denver for Nationals anyway. Perhaps they gained valuable experience to go along with their valuable talent. Earned the spot with a bronze from there.

Pottinger/Pottinger 6 to 1 The best female curler in America? Yes, I rank Allison "Peanut" Pottinger as the best. Is Dougie's game on the rebound as shown by Birr's resurgence? I think so. Dangerous team.

Hammy/Lil Miss Hammy 7 to 1 I believe the bro/sis team only lost one game at the scrimmage, but I wasn't paying attention. Exciting and excitable team.

Cool/Tabs 8 to 1 Last team in, so they get the longest odds. They also are the best value on the morning line.

So there you have it. Nobody gets long odds, but nobody is at a short price either. This morning line is totally lacking in generosity. If that offends you, make your own morning line with generous odds and then imagine how this even field could bankrupt you quickly.

My pick? Jason "Smitty" Smith/Jessica "Jess" Schultz

I like the the wide geography of "Florida's Smitty" and "Jess From Alaska" (and if I didn't work in somewhere that Jess is from Alaska, I would have heard about it) I also like that they went to Denver and crushed a very good field in a format totally new to them. I like that Smitty is getting ice-time on Team Fenson and I like cheering for Jess. Will I be betting the mortgage money? In this field? Heck NO. How could you bet significant money against any one of these 8 teams?

Ben Tucker (use nicknames because we all know these curlers)

02-05-16 11:24AM
Stolt42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stolt42 Find more posts by Stolt42 Add Stolt42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stolt42
Knee-Slider

So disappointed to see 4 out of 8 teams who haven't played a lot of mixed doubles were selected from the HP mini play off when only 3 out of 29 got out of strong field Denver.

Last edited by Stolt42 on 02-05-16 at 11:30AM

02-05-16 02:04PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I imagine a case could be made for lots of teams; either based on this year or the past few years that this format has existed. (Stolt/Stolt, Leichter/Carlson, Polo/Peterson, others). I don't think a compelling argument could be made to move me off my Clark/Clark pick. It's water under the bridge now. The time to scream about a format is while it is being formatted.

This is a process. Figuring out the World Trials thing will be an evolution. Some will be concerned about taking HPP curlers away from their time with Men's or Women's. Some will be concerned about an open path just to get a fair chance.

What we have is a brand new Olympic event and a World's that now carries qualifying points to secure an Olympic spot. That is extremely important new stuff to digest. The USCA is getting better about attaching the names of the decision makers to the decisions made. These are good people. Get ahold of them and voice your concerns. If you are wise, you'll listen closely to their concerns as well. There are two sides to every coin and much more than two ways to view this new championship that doesn't name a champion.

Will we (should we) have a paid coach that specializes in Mixed Doubles? Should said coach be available to all teams or just HPP teams? Are we going to fund Mixed Doubles to the extent that we do Men's? Women's? Juniors? What does the USOC want to spend? What do they want for a HPPMD to look like? Will we want curlers to specialize in MD? There are Olympic medals on the line.

Ben Tucker

02-05-16 02:09PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Re: Mixed Doubles World Trial

quote:

The HPP scrimmage was this weekend. The results as I've heard them:

Face and Cory 3-0 and into the Trial

Courtney and Tyler 3-0 and into the Trials

Hammy and Little Miss Hammy get the 3rd spot over Tabitha and Joe Cool (who may be a fourth entry).

Ben Tucker

"The results as I've heard them" Curious that only HPP folks are eligible and apparently no results published? Enough said.

02-05-16 02:12PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I imagine a case could be made for lots of teams; either based on this year or the past few years that this format has existed. (Stolt/Stolt, Leichter/Carlson, Polo/Peterson, others). I don't think a compelling argument could be made to move me off my Clark/Clark pick. It's water under the bridge now. The time to scream about a format is while it is being formatted.

Ben Tucker

I agree.

02-06-16 10:06AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

A Friendly Reminder:

The HPP intramural scrimmage was necessitated by a conflict between Mixed Doubles Nationals and Curling Night In America. So if you noticed that some HPP curlers played in Denver and some did not, that's the majority of the reason.

So: A couple of spots for those curlers and a couple of spots for HPP Committee picks (the new normal thing) and a spot for the defending champs (also in Curling Night In America). Considering the new Olympic medal status and World Olympic qualifying points, not a horrible start. Room for improvement? Oh, heck yes.

I'm so glad I'm not on the Scheduling Committee. So many events need to be protected these days.

Ben Tucker

02-07-16 12:24AM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

So let's turn a national event into a glorified challenge round for a made for TV event with 8 end games and a draw to the button contest to settle ties. The scheduling committee did a disservice to everyone on this one.

I thought for sure the Alex and Alec team would have been invited. They played great until losing the first event final.

I'll take the box and pick the three teams that went to Denver to finish 1,2, and 3.

Jason

02-26-16 09:07AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Day One is in the books.

The results look, from afar, totally random. Even field? The nature of Mixed Doubles? I don't know.

One thing didn't look random from Day One. Joe Cool and Tabs are crushing it. Last team in, first team out? We'll have to see what the day brings.

I probably should have driven down to watch some of this. I keep trying to enjoy this version of curling. No success so far. Maybe this field and level of play would get me interested.

Ben Tucker

02-27-16 07:04PM
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

Since the Derek Brown Mixed Doubles World Trials Invitational are not a part of the 2015-16 Championship Rules and Competition booklet/manual, what rules apply to this event? I see there was a three way tie for fourth. What are/were they doing to break the tie?

02-27-16 08:05PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Nothing. Only the top three make the playoff round. #1 (Peterson/Polo) plays #2 (Nernberger/Roth) tonight, winner advances to the final, loser plays #3 (Dropkin/Anderson) tomorrow in the semi.

Since Peterson/Polo are undefeated, they will need to be beaten twice.

02-27-16 08:17PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Strangely enough: I'm OK with that. 3 clear top finishers followed by teams with losing records...go ahead and make it a 3 team playoff.

IF you then use a Page with 1v2 and 3 waiting for the loser, then don't go to the mess of Two Loss Guarantee. If you want the Two Loss Provision, just have 2v3 with that winner needing to beat Cool/Tabs twice. Going with both Page and Two Loss seems like overkill.

I hope the head-to-head determined the 2 seed and not DSC. If head-to-head is clear, we should use it more. Kroy/Nina did beat Cute As Kittens in the round robin. Maybe they won the DSC as well...I have no idea.

My pick finished dead last without a win. Yet another reason for me to not like Mixed Doubles. Whatever. I'm old. Olympic medal status means more curling on TV and, therefore, more growth.

Ben Tucker

02-27-16 10:48PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Strangely enough: I'm OK with that. 3 clear top finishers followed by teams with losing records...go ahead and make it a 3 team playoff.

IF you then use a Page with 1v2 and 3 waiting for the loser, then don't go to the mess of Two Loss Guarantee. If you want the Two Loss Provision, just have 2v3 with that winner needing to beat Cool/Tabs twice. Going with both Page and Two Loss seems like overkill.

Ben Tucker

With only 8 teams competing, then only 3 teams should be in finals regardless of records of other teams. Playing round robin to eliminate only 1/2 of teams makes no sense.

And Tuck is right -- really silly to play 1v2 in first game when you also have the silly 2 loss rule in play.

02-28-16 08:48AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I questioned the Selection Committee's choice and stated that Brady/Cristen should have been the pick, so I feel the need to point out that the undefeated team of Cool/Tabs was their pick. I'm not saying anything about right or wrong; just that their pick is undefeated so far.

Ben Tucker

02-28-16 08:55AM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

By its very nature, mixed doubles is such a chaotic format that (I believe) you could hold this event again next weekend and get completely different results.

02-28-16 09:04PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Team Cool needed the extra life they earned by going undefeated in the Round Robin and winning the Page 1v2, but they did seal the deal on their second try. Well done and congratulations.

They should be a team that is very competitive on the World stage. They both been successful there before. I keep predicting that this will be a great year for the USA at Worlds of all levels. This is yet another USA team with an excellent shot at a medal. Gold? Yes, they have a good shot at gold. Team Cute As Kittens had a good shot and Team Cool finished ahead of them. Kroy and Nina would have had a good shot as well.

So congratulations again, Joe Cool and Cool Tabs. Best of luck at Worlds. Sweden, I believe, but I'm too lazy to check.

Ben Tucker