Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-26-15 09:32PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

2016 Continental Cup (Las Vegas)

Anyone planning to attend the 2016 Continental Cup (Las Vegas)? Hoping we can get some CZ fans together!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-26-15 09:37PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I hear that all the packages are sold. More tickets sold than the last time. Should be a great event. Will be interesting to see the early season battle to earn points to make the event for the US teams.

JH
that would be an interesting trip, curling or poker....

07-26-15 10:00PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

I recently looked at the website selling tickets...most of the preferred areas are gone...I think they will have a few left on the periphery sections.

07-27-15 12:41AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I'll be there as a volunteer. Got my confirmation email about a month ago and it was honestly one of the best emails I've received in a long time.

Already booked my flights, I'm getting in early Monday evening and flying out the following Monday afternoon.

I love Vegas, usually make it out there about once a year. Vegas and Curling combined? I can't wait!

As for the event itself, yeah, should be good.

We already know half of the Canadian Teams, won't know the other half until after the Canada Cup.

Points chase in the US will definitely be interesting to follow. Stu Sells Oakville is about 5 weeks away, should be the first opportunity for teams to start earning points...I know Plys, Brown, Clark, Sinclair, Roth, and Carlson will be there.

Curious as to who Curling Canada will invite for Team World. They have the say, WCF has no stake anymore. I don't think they'll go off a strict standard either, otherwise they probably would have announced the criteria already. Stremlaw (back in January) said that it wouldn't just be Europe, I guess we shall see as to whether it's true or not with him gone now.

For the men, I'm guessing Edin & Ulsrud for sure. Besides the fact that they're arguably the two best men's rinks in Europe, they're fun to watch and fit in with the atmosphere really well. If the third spot doesn't go to a rink from Asia, my guess would be one of the Swiss or Scottish rinks.

As for the women, I would guess that Muirhead is a lock. Disappointing finish at Worlds last year, but they're still one of the best women's rinks in Europe if not the world. As for the other two spots I have no idea...I would think Paetz, being World Champion and all (and they have the event listed on their schedule for the year, so maybe they know something we don't) will be invited. As to the final spot, if not an Asian rink my guess would be Sidorova or one of the Swedish rinks.

All speculation though.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

07-27-15 06:06PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

It's my understanding that, when it's Team Canada vs. Team World (as it will be in 2016), Team World consists only of U.S. and Asian teams. European teams only go when it's Canada vs. Europe (like it was this past cycle). It alternates each year (barring the Olympics) between Europe and World.

I could be wrong, but that's how I gathered it was done now.

07-27-15 07:08PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
It's my understanding that, when it's Team Canada vs. Team World (as it will be in 2016), Team World consists only of U.S. and Asian teams. European teams only go when it's Canada vs. Europe (like it was this past cycle). It alternates each year (barring the Olympics) between Europe and World.

I could be wrong, but that's how I gathered it was done now.

That was the plan, and it was how it was done in 2015. There was also no indication they would return to Vegas. You're correct, it was supposed to always be Team Canada vs Team Europe/Team World in alternating years.

During the 2015 event though, they announced that they were returning to Vegas and the old format.

Team North America will be taking on Team World. 6 rinks (3 men's, 3 women's) make up each team.

Team North America will be 2/3 Canadian...winners of the Scotties/Brier and Canada Cup in 2015. There is a format in place in case Jones or Morris/Simmons wins the Canada Cup too, but I can't recall it offhand (probably CTRS ranking). As was mentioned, the US is using a points format to determine who will be sent.

Team World rinks will be invited by Curling Canada at their discretion. As far as I know they haven't announced any qualifying format or criteria that will be used. This may have changed, but last I saw this was the case.

07-27-15 07:44PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Already gotten my volunteer acceptance letter, sent in my uniform deposit, reserved my room at the Gold Coast (You couldn't *get* the Orleans the day after they announced the event...seriously, I tried, it was full *that* fast), booked my airline tickets and booked my vacation time.

Had a blast in 2014, gonna enjoy it every bit as much in 2016.

There's a Volunteers Happy Hour shortly before the opening ceremonies and stuff start, perhaps we can get the CurlingZone volunteers together there!

07-28-15 02:42AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Already gotten my volunteer acceptance letter, sent in my uniform deposit, reserved my room at the Gold Coast (You couldn't *get* the Orleans the day after they announced the event...seriously, I tried, it was full *that* fast), booked my airline tickets and booked my vacation time.

Had a blast in 2014, gonna enjoy it every bit as much in 2016.

There's a Volunteers Happy Hour shortly before the opening ceremonies and stuff start, perhaps we can get the CurlingZone volunteers together there!

Same here, except for the hotel. I'll probably be staying somewhere on the strip or Rio, hopefully will have a rental car. If not, I know how to get to The Orleans fairly easily for free from the strip. Take a cab if I have to.

Definitely. Sounds like a plan to me.

If you don't mind my asking, what group are you working with? Just curious. I'll be working with security/accreditation.

07-28-15 10:58AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm on Timing/Stats/Officials. They haven't scheduled us yet, but if 2014 is any guide I'll be spending a lot of time up in the timing area making sure everyone keeps up with thinking time. Probably likely to be easier now since it's a more established system.

Timing Supervisor is almost the easiest job there is for these events...the folks running the clocks are almost all qualified to be Sups themselves. If they've fixed the one set of clocks that didn't tick accurately (it kept accurate time, but it didn't display every second, it skipped a lot of them, so it hung on 4:45 for a few seconds, then 4:41, then 4:39, etc), there'll be nothing to it at all.

08-02-15 09:42PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Just bought my tickets from SWA (got direct flights this time).
Staying at a hotel nearby the Orleans.

08-20-15 09:45PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
just got an email about the continental cup in vegas

says that a Canadian legend will be performing at the orleans that week - anyone know who ??

They have an 850-seat theater besides the arena. I just looked at their event calendar, didn't see anything.

Vic Rauter has a pretty golden voice, maybe he'll be doing some lounge sets while he's there?

08-20-15 10:06PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
my wife was hoping anne murray ...

Could be. Gordon Lightfoot maybe?

I'm just brainstorming. I did a google search too and didn't find anything.

08-21-15 03:51PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Paul Anka or maybe Celine Dion?

08-21-15 04:12PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
just got an email about the continental cup in vegas

says that a Canadian legend will be performing at the orleans that week - anyone know who ??

: : Praying for Justin Bieber: :

08-21-15 05:12PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

That a-hole is not a legend but an embarrassment.

08-21-15 05:16PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
Paul Anka or maybe Celine Dion?

Another good guess with Paul Anka.

Celine Dion is in residency in Vegas already at Caesar's Palace.

08-21-15 05:19PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

: : Praying for Justin Bieber: :

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
That a-hole is not a legend but an embarrassment.

I think he replaces Bryan Adams as "worst 'musician' to come from Canada."

08-27-15 01:16PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Curious as to who Curling Canada will invite for Team World. They have the say, WCF has no stake anymore. I don't think they'll go off a strict standard either, otherwise they probably would have announced the criteria already. Stremlaw (back in January) said that it wouldn't just be Europe, I guess we shall see as to whether it's true or not with him gone now.

For the men, I'm guessing Edin & Ulsrud for sure. Besides the fact that they're arguably the two best men's rinks in Europe, they're fun to watch and fit in with the atmosphere really well. If the third spot doesn't go to a rink from Asia, my guess would be one of the Swiss or Scottish rinks.

As for the women, I would guess that Muirhead is a lock. Disappointing finish at Worlds last year, but they're still one of the best women's rinks in Europe if not the world. As for the other two spots I have no idea...I would think Paetz, being World Champion and all (and they have the event listed on their schedule for the year, so maybe they know something we don't) will be invited. As to the final spot, if not an Asian rink my guess would be Sidorova or one of the Swedish rinks.

All speculation though.

Looks like my guesses were correct.

Men: Edin, Ulsrud, China (TBD)

Women: Paetz, Muirhead, Ogasawara (Japan)

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2015/08/...ontinental-cup/

10-06-15 02:39PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
beebs is my peeps .. doubt that anyone making $65 mil a year will have time for the old curling crepetations

might be burton cummings or randy bachman thou

burton puts on a GREAT show -he played for hours at the olympics in vancouver - best show ever

You were right about Burton Cummings.

Norm MacDonald will be there too.

11-09-15 10:37AM
CuriousCuz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CuriousCuz Click here to Send CuriousCuz a Private Message Find more posts by CuriousCuz Add CuriousCuz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CuriousCuz
Knee-Slider

So I'm thinking of going to the Cup in Vegas, but I despise staying in cheap hotels (yes Gold Coast, I'm talking about you). That "package" is a joke. I like an escape to a nice room to avoid the casino floors but am willing take a cattle car flight (that's only 3 hours, I'll suffer)

So.... Flight package (super cheap flight) with a suite at Palms Place (right across the street from the gold coast so just walk over for shuttle to the orleans) runs about $650 per person (that includes taxes and resort fees) plus another $238 for tickets to the cup for the whole week comes to $900 per person.

So any other singles out there who want to go and split a room with a middle aged guy? (i'm talking to other guys out there, not looking for a creepy date) message me or reply.

(oh yeh, flight from MSP)

Last edited by CuriousCuz on 11-09-15 at 10:46AM